ADVERTISEMENT

Oakland coach Greg Kampe on local radio

Jamal Mercer

All-American
Feb 7, 2008
Michigan
I live right down the road from Oakland.

A couple things their coach said about the matchup this morning.

“This was just about the best matchup we could hope for”

“They can’t score down low. When a mid manor goes up against someone like Kentucky that’s usually how they would win. But they don’t have the down low scoring so I really think we have a shot”

Can’t link it at the moment, but it was on 97.1 the ticket. You can go back and listen to it, 7:35 AM was the interview.

A couple other interesting quotes in there too.

It's pretty amazing when coaches from Oakland and Kansas State openly look forward to playing your program.

The fear and reverence for Kentucky basketball is gone from opponents. In Cal's pursuit to dedicate his ultimate process to the NBA development of fringe pros (Boston, Edwards, Wagner, Livingston, Bradshaw, Ty Ty, etc.), he has forsaken making Kentucky truly great.

“They can’t score down low. When a mid manor goes up against someone like Kentucky that’s usually how they would win. But they don’t have the down low scoring so I really think we have a shot”

Can’t link it at the moment, but it was on 97.1 the ticket. You can go back and listen to it, 7:35 AM was the interview.

To be fair what did you expect him to say? He has to make his guys think they have a chance to win otherwise without hope they are like lambs being lead to the slaughter.

To be fair what did you expect him to say? He has to make his guys think they have a chance to win otherwise without hope they are like lambs being lead to the slaughter.
This isn’t normal coach speak. I think UK wins, just thought his comments were interesting. Hopefully Cal and our guys use it as bulletin board material…..if they even hear about it.

It's pretty amazing when coaches from Oakland and Kansas State openly look forward to playing your program.

The fear and reverence for Kentucky basketball is gone from opponents. In Cal's pursuit to dedicate his ultimate process to the NBA development of fringe pros (Boston, Edwards, Wagner, Livingston, Bradshaw, Ty Ty, etc.), he has forsaken making Kentucky truly great.
What’s he supposed to say on the radio, that he’s scared and they have no chance?

Z can score in the post if we play offense to our advantage of outside shooting. That's what frees up lobs. But, D.J. and others missing layups at the basket eliminate that or the wrong people taking 3's so we have to force the ball to the post.

We don't have to score down low when we have three 40%+ 3 pt shooters and three more over 30%.

We beat this team by 15+. Would be more but Cal and Kampe are friends.
I will say, I don’t think friendship will play into the final score one bit. We beat his friend Bob Huggins by 40 in 2015.

Ummmm, sure. We will see how well it works out for the haters on here and this Oakland team. Not gonna be a fun game for yall!

Seen them live. Townsend will score a bunch on the inside. If their perimeters get hot watch out. I saw Goehlke hit 3s from everywhere with very little space to get his shot off. He will be able to shoot over UKs guards.

Reactions: mrhickory

Did you actually expect him to display fear?

“Well, I’ll tell ya, we’re going to lose this game because Kentucky is the winningest basketball program in college basketball history? They are the Gold Standard and have won 8 National Titles.
They’re the best 3 point shooting team in the nation. There is absolutely no way on God’s green earth we have a chance to win this game. We might as well forfeit.”

img_3669_9b92382ae00f03952d8d69e4e2951872c10c05f3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: BigTyrone

We haven't really needed to score down low all year. When you have penetrators with sweet soft-touch floaters than can also kick out to sharp shooters, all we need our bigs for are a few blocks and oops per game.

I have zero worries about this Oakland team. The only reason he thinks it's a "good matchup" is that his team predominantly shoots the three (at a meh clip of 35%) and we aren't great at defending the three.

I think they go cold and will be lucky to hit more than 25% except for their guy named Jack. Even then, if we don't have to worry about big men down low (they have none) or lane drivers (they have one, Watts), we can focus on bellying up to the perimeter and making them do what they don't like to do - drive the lane (just watch for kick outs and cheat the passing lanes).

Seen them live. Townsend will score a bunch on the inside. If their perimeters get hot watch out. I saw Goehlke hit 3s from everywhere with very little space to get his shot off. He will be able to shoot over UKs guards.
No, Townsend wont' "score a bunch inside". He's 6'6". Our smallest forward is 6'9". And we'll have a 7' in there that will send his crap to the stands. He averages just under 17 ppg and is their leading scorer. He had 38 last weekend, but that was a foul fest because Milwaukee has no size in the middle and 14 of his 38 came from the line (24 still ain't bad). 38 was his career high. A 6'6" forward isn't getting 38 against the size of Kentucky.

Jack will get his, fine. He's a volume, perimeter-only shooter that will probably attempt 15-20 threes Thursday (his most ever attempted was 20 and he hit 7...most hit this year was 10 out of 15, but that was against tiny IUPUI). Every team has had a guy "get his". We still win this one going away.

Reactions: truckbrandon
What’s he supposed to say on the radio, that he’s scared and they have no chance?

Usually they aren’t that open about playing a program like Kentucky. It’s actually rare for a coach to say that much about an opponent like us I mean come on. It really shows Calipari has us at a really bad level and several are either not awake yet or just waking up.

“This is just about the best matchup we could hope for”.

This is OAKLAND talking about KENTUCKY in BASKETBALL. good lord.

Take the ball inside often against Townsend and get him in foul trouble. Cut off the head!

Reactions: chroix
Usually they aren’t that open about playing a program like Kentucky. It’s actually rare for a coach to say that much about an opponent like us I mean come on. It really shows Calipari has us at a really bad level and several are either not awake yet or just waking up.

No it's not "rare". Coaches talk like this all the time. You are just pulling shit out of the air knowing people won't go track down the 100s of times coaches have been excited about playing a team, pointing out where they think they're strengths might be, and just in general being confident.

GOOD LORD. Go somewhere else you rag.

This. It’s why I posted. Not normal coach speak.

Like I said, hopefully it somehow gets back to our team.

Reactions: G-PIP
I think he is wrong that upsets happen because of post play. Upsets happen when the mid major guards get to the basket and hit a good % from 3. Now I’m nervous.

I’m with you normally but in most of our losses our interior got abused and produced nothing. Less about posting than about offensive rebounding and giving up easy putbacks.

please provide a link so0 we can all listen

Jesus talk about being dramatic. First of all, the dude isn’t going to bow down to anyone. He likes the style of play match up. That’s all. If we had a big bruiser down low that could put up points in the post, his comments would have been different and you’d probably be bitching about how we play an archaic offense and Cal has ruined the fun style Kentucky should be known for.

Also the game hasn’t been played yet. Let’s see what this fool has to say when his team is slaughtered by 20+

This. It’s why I posted. Not normal coach speak.

Like I said, hopefully it somehow gets back to our team.
I've heard hundreds of coaches talk about their upcoming opponents, big and small, about where they think their strengths are and how this looks like a good matchup for them. Hundreds. I really shouldn't have to go dig up a handful as you've been around sports long enough to know this is fact.

Well, he's right about not much offense down low, in the NCAA tournament you're going to need balanced scoring to keep playing. We have 3 seven footers and not much offense, our guards can't do it all, it's a glaring weakness.

And just like clockwork here comes the artist formerly known as KyJeff1 to bless us with his positivity!!!

Jesus talk about being dramatic. First of all, the dude isn’t going to bow down to anyone. He likes the style of play match up. That’s all. If we had a big bruiser down low that could put up points in the post, his comments would have been different and you’d probably be bitching about how we play an archaic offense and Cal has ruined the fun style Kentucky should be known for.

Also the game hasn’t been played yet. Let’s see what this fool has to say when his team is slaughtered by 20+

He will say what a lot of coaches has said after playing us this year and that’s we have a legit shot at cutting down the nets.

Reactions: FiveStarCat

The only problem with your line of thinking is Kentucky is a 3 seed and has wins against a 1, 2, two 4s, etc. so to act like Kentucky sucks is just factually incorrect. This dude is running his mouth and he’s likely going to regret it

Reactions: Graham51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT