Do you have a college degree?

• Yes

Votes: 331 85.1%
  • No

Votes: 62 15.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly don’t mean this the wrong way, but your degrees are a great testament to how going to college matters if you know what you want to do and get degrees that hold value. What in the world are you planning on doing with a bachelors degree in music? Playing an instrument? Telling people the differences between Bach and Beethoven? My brother in law has a bachelors degree in history. Ok? So his entire degree can be looked up on Wikipedia? I mean if you want to go to college for a career you need to choose a degree that actually leads to one. And not you personally, I just mean as a whole college is great if approached properly.
Actually, I use my degrees every week. I'm a worship leader at our church, play keyboard and lead singing. And I've also been doing youth ministry for 30 years and teaching in the church, so I use the Christian Education masters as well. I'm probably not a good example of what I was talking about above. I don't disagree with you that a college degree can be a great thing, especially, as you say, if you know what you want to do with your life. I knew at age 17 what I was supposed to do and I've been doing it ever since.

But higher education isn't for everyone. I think we agree there. I know of many folks who have degrees they don't use. I know of many millennials especially who have huge debt and no job in their degree field, nor any prospects. The landscape has changed tremendously and it's changing more and more. That's why I'm not advising every student to go to college now, as I once did. There was a time when I would always say go to college. But with the debt you pile up now, unless you have significant scholarships, you better have a plan. Problem is, most 18 year olds have no idea and change their minds 20 times while they pile up debt. Aside from this, most universities have become bastions of liberalism and atheism, so they lose their faith while they build up debt.

The problem I see with millennials out of college (I know millennials are past that age at this point, same with the following generation) is that they don’t think they have to pay their dues. They want their dream job right out of college, and if they don’t get it they say “nothing is available in their field”.

I’m totally generalizing, but I see it a LOT today. 20 years ago it was understood that even out of college, you’re still going to have to start very much entry level and work your way up to that dream job.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFuqua and Gromcat
Last edited:
Reactions: Gromcat and STL_Cat
BA in journalism.

Lived in poverty for years with media jobs that required a degree but paid like retail. Eventually used my degree and skills to get a $50K/yr technical writing job.

Currently work in corporate communications for a giant company making almost 6 figures. The degree helped because it was required, but the work experience is what landed me the job.

I did really poorly my first 3 years of college (had a lot of fun) and then spent the next 3 years cleaning up my mess and actually earning the degree. I was very immature at 18. Still am at 40. Lol.
Sounds like me but I'm 34 and still in the immature phase, lol. I had a mindset where I shouldn't network and "do things on my own" and that's with friends and family trying to hook me up with jobs that pay more than I do now. Worked at a Fortune 100 company as a contractor but turned down a nice accounting job recommended by my boss at the same company. That was 8 years ago. Since then I've been working the same gig, turning down multiple jobs that pay 10-20k more/year just because I enjoyed my current job and people but b/c of Covid all of that is for naught b/c we're all permanently remote. So now I'm finally applying for gigs elsewhere and trying to play catch up.

I don’t think your opinion is wrong because of the methods used to teach history. Simply put, we don’t teach it correctly. The educational system is set up K-12 to dumb you down. For example, they’re not going to teach much of anything that doesn’t correlate to meaningless time periods, or political natured events. They’ll teach about the consequences of war, but not the consequences as a result of the Munich agreement (appeasement). Why? Because current political heads want appeasement today. We’re doing it right now.

They don’t want to teach the truth about the civil war or the south, they just want you to know slavery is bad as a means to create and facilitate pandering. Okay…

What I liked about college was the real conversations that are had. It does bring a sort of enlightenment to the table high school doesn’t.

A great example is Nazi Germany (of course). In high school we simply weren’t taught the ins and outs. My history teacher was simply there to tell you Hitler was a right wing fascist. And since my first degree obtained was in the histories, I can tell you that’s simply false. Hitler was not right wing, he wasn’t left wing, he was a racial purists. He didn’t hold an ideology in the sense that we understand it. He simply used a tool.

High schools are terrible because they’re government run. The things my kids learn in private school compared is mind blowing.
Agree with everything but the lost cause myth. The civil war was 100% fought because of slavery.

Reactions: Lempface
The "higher education is worthless and isn't worth the money" crowd is just as wrong as the "you are inferior unless you are highly educated and have a college degree" snobs. Either view is shortsighted and ignorant.
We need doctors, teachers, and engineers as well as plumbers, HVAC techs and mechanics. They are ALL important.
To each his own and kuddos to all for whatever path you choose. One path is not any better than the other unless you go down the "sit on your ass and do nothing" path.
Statistically, a college degree does pay more over time if money is important to you for happiness.

I graduated from UK with a bachelor's degree in finance by the skin of my teeth. Had to wait tables for six years to get there. And I'm glad I did. After years of hard work, using my intelligence, being opportunistic and lucky, I've been able to work from home the last 12 years making a solid six figures. It was my degree that got me through some doors early on that started my trajectory.

Last edited:
The "higher education is worthless and isn't worth the money" crowd is just as wrong as the "you are inferior unless you are highly educated and have a college degree" snobs. Either view is shortsighted and ignorant.
We need doctors, teachers, and engineers as well as plumbers, HVAC techs and mechanics. They are ALL important.
To each his own and kuddos to all for whatever path you choose. One path is not any better than the other unless you go down the "sit on your ass and do nothing" path.
Statistically, a college degree does pay more over time if money is important to you for happiness.
Great post. A final point I’ll make to just build off your last statement is that it’s not just the money factor that has paid off for me personally. It’s the opportunities that it opened up for me to not only make a good income, but do it while maintaining a high quality of life. I haven’t worked a Saturday in a decade. My hours are flexible as they can be. I haven’t done an ounce of manual labor (for my job that is) in 20 years. For me, you can’t put a price tag on that.

Agree with everything but the lost cause myth. The civil war was 100% fought because of slavery.

@RunninRichie

I don’t really want to get into it, but the psychology of politics and political science adds elements you can’t get by reading outcomes which is what most people do with regard to history.

Slavery was a huge part of the civil war, but there’s nuance to the beginning. It wasn’t much different back then, money (and fear). There’s no real way to discuss that reality because people can’t emotionally do it.

There’s too much to dive into, but the civil war is no different than any war - the victor creates the history.

Last edited:
The lost cause was created by white supremacists who believed slavery was just and moral and the blacks should have been grateful to be enslaved

Actually, I use my degrees every week. I'm a worship leader at our church, play keyboard and lead singing. And I've also been doing youth ministry for 30 years and teaching in the church, so I use the Christian Education masters as well. I'm probably not a good example of what I was talking about above. I don't disagree with you that a college degree can be a great thing, especially, as you say, if you know what you want to do with your life. I knew at age 17 what I was supposed to do and I've been doing it ever since.

But higher education isn't for everyone. I think we agree there. I know of many folks who have degrees they don't use. I know of many millennials especially who have huge debt and no job in their degree field, nor any prospects. The landscape has changed tremendously and it's changing more and more. That's why I'm not advising every student to go to college now, as I once did. There was a time when I would always say go to college. But with the debt you pile up now, unless you have significant scholarships, you better have a plan. Problem is, most 18 year olds have no idea and change their minds 20 times while they pile up debt. Aside from this, most universities have become bastions of liberalism and atheism, so they lose their faith while they build up debt.

Hear hear...

Being college educated these days don't make you any smarter than someone that doesn't have a degree, it just means you had more opportunity to go to school; look at what it means to be indoctrinated into the liberal system of Bernie Sanders & Joe Biden can turn a energy independent nation with a great economy into bizarro world in 7 months . you guys can keep your smarts I'm sure they will help you get that job at Arby's as an assistant manager and keep your diploma's I'm sure they will help you to fan the flames of our burning country as we sink into a 3rd world abysses. I'' keep my Bible and guns as you turn this country into shit.
This guy can't be for real.

Reactions: Zissou87
I got a BS in Business Administration, got a commission in the Army the hard way{OCS}, worked for NCR in Branch Accounting for 8 years and finally figured out I was not an accountant. I then went into Sales and spent the rest of my career in Industrial sales doing what I loved.
My degree was important to me but I had Zero dept when I graduated and I had a usable degree.
Piling up huge dept for a worthless degree is insane. Trades today are the right approach for many and they can make good incomes. Just my opinion!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
100% agree on the last part, financially speaking.

But if the story you tell is true.. you really aren't the norm, especially for not having a HS diploma. That's pretty remarkable. And while I agree that trade schools can be a lucrative route.. I do get tired of seeing this talking point the last few years. You'd almost think that skipping college all together is the better route the way people bash the college system and praise trade schools.

Everyone mentions their buddy who started a roofing company without a college degree.. but they seem to skip over the 50 others who work at gas stations.
census statistics reveal a significant difference in income of those with and without, that’s the norm and there. There are always success stories of bright, hard working, folks that are very successful without…..but it is a small small minority. Outside of financial “succeess” is enjoying what you do and doing what you enjoy for 40 years is being successful as well.

Reactions: Gromcat and STL_Cat
One semester of college out of high school, then a few years in USAF, then 5 years full time to get BS in Bioengineering. If I had a chance to get what I make now out of high school, I'd probably have done it. I don't blame the kids for going - just their "handlers" for pushing many too soon.

I don't think there's any degree that's worthless. My major had no relationship to my life's work, but the general education courses required for all degrees definitely did. Things like college level reading, writing, and communicating make any person more effective. I'm retired now, but I made more income than I ever expected and advanced up the ladder much farther than I expected. My son-in-law is another example of no degree being worthless. He chose to major in psychology but never worked a single day in that field. He's worked his entire career in management at large corporations. He is now an executive VP at a large restaurant holding company.

I got my bachelor’s from UK. I’d never have made it in my line of work without it. I got a master’s in a related field that has expanded my work opportunities.

My wife has a master’s and post master’s. Dual certification as a family nurse practitioner and pediatric nurse practitioner. Her degrees have been necessary to work in her field and worthwhile.

Two degrees from UK . I’m sure I have made multiples of whatever I would have made if I had not gone to UK. First generation of my family to attend college .
I can’t believe it’s even debatable as to whether a college degree is worth it .
Btw I am also a Harvard alum. The difference in the education one gets at Harvard and a state university is really not that great . It’s in the quality of the student body . The same student if he/she applies themself can get the same education either place . The difference is all reputation and hype. Yes Harvard attracts smarter kids but they would do well anywhere .
In view of the new admissions policies in the Ivy League about ten thousand white males a year who would gave been Ivy League will most likely now attend the honors programs at state universities. IMHO this will lessen even more the perceived gap between The Ivy’s and state universities.

Reactions: Cat06
This is the internet. Nearly 100% will be. I always say I didn’t realize how many people in the world have multiple and advanced degrees until I came to rafters.

I’ll add to the confusion. I hold 2 bachelor degrees and currently working on a MS.

I also advocate the principle that if money is all you’re basing a decision on, it’s a proven measure of failure. So I’d have played at UK for 4 years.
Yep. There are so many experts here we should start our own Rupp Rafters University.

• Haha
Reactions: BBUK and Gromcat
Just thought this was funny. 🤣

a330f74a3ff422d5cc571a5ce3c16496.jpg

Honestly, if you love what you're doing and it doesn't require going to college, keep doing it. College was always a 'gotta go there after high school' sorta deal when I was growing up, but it isn't necessary. I know people who never went and do what they love and make a LOT of money doing it.

I would never disrespect someone for deciding against going to college. I would certainly not put them on a lower pedestal for making that decision. For example, plumbers we use on a regular basis (we had an old house) mastered their trade years ago without college. I could never do what they do and will probably never make the money they make. They're happy as hell because they love their job. That's the life.

Anyway, kudos to you all. You're truly wonderful people and seeing all the responses makes me feel like an ass that I was ever an ass to you all. Apologies for what it is worth.

I think we put too much stock into the idea of just a college degree when we should focus on the area of what it is in. Some boast about having one but have not much else to show for it. Not really knocking it, just saying that it only counts to me if you can use it to better yourself financially or intellectually going forward. If it helps you monetarily and you are good with it, fine. If it makes you feel better about yourself and nothing else, I don't see a problem with it either. But, if you spent a few years getting one that does nothing for you it is a waste of time.

Don't have one myself, took some college courses over the years in the military when time permitted and some when I worked for the civil service. I have been told that with the ones I have and my military schools that if I had it all accredited I would at least have an associates degree. Pondered over and procrastinated for years and then decided what the hell, not a life changer for me. Being retired completely now I am resigned to just trying to make my life easier until I am called home.

I don't think there's any degree that's worthless. My major had no relationship to my life's work, but the general education courses required for all degrees definitely did. Things like college level reading, writing, and communicating make any person more effective. I'm retired now, but I made more income than I ever expected and advanced up the ladder much farther than I expected. My son-in-law is another example of no degree being worthless. He chose to major in psychology but never worked a single day in that field. He's worked his entire career in management at large corporations. He is now an executive VP at a large restaurant holding company.
The public speaking class that was a gen ed requirement for everyone at my college was really beneficial. Used to be scared to do a presentation or any type of public speaking, even hated just speaking up in class to answer a question. It built the confidence in me to be able to speak up, give presentations, speak in public, etc. I never could have imagined being a PA announcer at a sporting event or doing commentary on a broadcast for a game but did it plenty of times when I worked in sports and never had a problem doing it.

The conscious relaxation techniques class I took as an elective has proven beneficial in daily life for 14 years and counting.

The health emergencies class that was a requirement for my major taught me useful basic first aid skills. Thankfully I’ve only ever had to use it once, and that was when my mom broke her ankle.

Marketing helped me learn about personal branding and how to best market myself as a product for potential employers. It also taught me how to pitch ideas more effectively both personally and professionally.

Managerial accounting taught me how to manipulate the budgeting process to get more of what you want in your departments budget.

Nutrition was a pretty useful elective, though as my body visibly shows I’ve not done the best job at utilizing that knowledge lol

All the writing I had to do throughout my 7 years of college also drastically improved my professional writing skills.

Group projects also helped me better learn how to work as a team. I have a tendency to want to do everything exactly how I want it to be done, and my way isn’t always the best and/or correct way. Sports can help with that some, but you don’t have as much independence with that giving the whole coaching thing as you do in academic projects.

All the extracurriculars and work I did while going to school full-time forced me to develop strong time management skills.

Last edited:
The public speaking class that was a gen ed requirement for everyone at my college was really beneficial. Used to be scared to do a presentation or any type of public speaking, even hated just speaking up in class to answer a question. It built the confidence in me to be able to speak up, give presentations, speak in public, etc. I never could have imagined being a PA announcer at a sporting event or doing commentary on a broadcast for a game but did it plenty of times when I worked in sports and never had a problem doing it.

The conscious relaxation techniques class I took as an elective has proven beneficial in daily life for 14 years and counting.

The health emergencies class that was a requirement for my major taught me useful basic first aid skills. Thankfully I’ve only ever had to use it once, and that was when my mom broke her ankle.

Marketing helped me learn about personal branding and how to best market myself as a product for potential employers. It also taught me how to pitch ideas more effectively both personally and professionally.

Managerial accounting taught me how to manipulate the budgeting process to get more of what you want in your departments budget.

Nutrition was a pretty useful elective, though as my body visibly shows I’ve not done the best job at utilizing that knowledge lol

All the writing I had to do throughout my 7 years of college also drastically improved my professional writing skills.

Group projects also helped me better learn how to work as a team. I have a tendency to want to do everything exactly how I want it to be done, and my way isn’t always the best and/or correct way. Sports can help with that some, but you don’t have as much independence with that giving the whole coaching thing as you do in academic projects.

All the extracurriculars and work I did while going to school full-time forced me to develop strong time management skills.
I wish I would have typed this. What a great post and perspective. You just told a lot of my story, too.

I have to agree with those who say a college degree doesn't make a person smart. Of course that's true and that's not the purpose of college. Intelligence is mostly genetic and has little to nothing to do with education. Knowledge, however, is needed to apply intelligence. It is accumulated over one's lifetime from many sources that may include college.

Well said!

I have to agree with those who say a college degree doesn't make a person smart. Of course that's true and that's not the purpose of college. Intelligence is mostly genetic and has little to nothing to do with education. Knowledge, however, is needed to apply intelligence. It is accumulated over one's lifetime from many sources that may include college.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This and intelligence is also relevant to subject matter. By that I mean specific focus and education. You can have a degree in sports medicine but not really know how the games are played or how to coach them. All too often we will have people who have degrees who think they can speak intelligently on any subject and try.

Reactions: KFuqua

Good for you brother. Keep the faith!

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Being college educated these days don't make you any smarter than someone that doesn't have a degree, it just means you had more opportunity to go to school; look at what it means to be indoctrinated into the liberal system of Bernie Sanders & Joe Biden can turn a energy independent nation with a great economy into bizarro world in 7 months . you guys can keep your smarts I'm sure they will help you get that job at Arby's as an assistant manager and keep your diploma's I'm sure they will help you to fan the flames of our burning country as we sink into a 3rd world abysses. I'' keep my Bible and guns as you turn this country into shit.
Sounds like someone is bitter about getting fired from Arby's.

My story is typical.

Walk on Punter at UK. Never saw the field other than the JayVee games. Broke my back (car wreck). It was "suggested" that I take a break from UK after three semesters and a sparkling 1.46 GPA. Got an F in English 101 and can't spell to this day.

Married a cute girl and became a Master Plumber in two years. Seven years later I decided to get a degree in Finance at UK. Took 5 years total going nights and weekends. Graduated at 34, with a two year old now in tow.

Today I am the System Facilities Director for a large Healthcare organization in Northeast Ohio. 5 Hospitals.

I also work for Universal Music and the band KISS as their vinyl consultant. I own a Record label "The Rockologists" that will be re-releasing the classic Peter Criss LP's Out of Control and Let Me Rock You this fall. These are the first in a new licensing deal I have. I have written six books. Despite the F in English 101.

Still married to that cute girl 40 years later.

So, typical...for Forest Gump :)
Lol maybe I’m missing the joke, but is this legit???

Reactions: Cat06
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT