ADVERTISEMENT

How long until sports become streaming only?

Jun 23, 2024
I work in a related field and just curious what everyone thinks.

How long do you believe it will be until the major sports partners (Disney/Espn, Fox, etc) move all sports content to streaming only via their proprietary apps.

Some people inside the industry feel this is going to happen by the next decade: want to watch NFL on CBS? Got to subscribe to paramount + want to watch SEC football or NBA Basketball? Sign up for ESPN + today.

Good or bad thing.

Curious

What line of work do you do ????

Also, this name you chose, if you don’t like the posters here why post ??

At this point I only have YouTube tv to watch sports which I think is around $75/month. As long as whatever I have to bundle together isn’t way more expensive than that I really don’t care what they do.

I think it's inevitable. We're already conditioned to subscribe to ESPN. Now, TNF is on Prime, a couple of games on Peacock during the playoffs, I think Paramount is now carrying the CBS game. The playoffs and Super Bowl, I believe, will soon be pay per view only and, at that point, I probably either quit watching NFL or go in with a group and split the cost. It's not the money. It's the principle to me (also, not a huge NFL fan). With an industry that grosses how many billions per year, it will be difficult for me (and I would expect others, also) to cough up even more money for the right to watch playoffs and SB - something I've pretty much watched for free for decades. If they would do away with commercials and ridiculous halftime histrionics, I might consider subscribing. But, pay to watch umpteen commercials and what is generally a pretty awful (in my opinion, of course) halftime 'show' that stretches a 60-minute game out to 4+ hours? I'll pass.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Super Bowl will never go PPV only. Are you nuts? Advertising alone they make a killing. Remove the audience, you remove said revenue.
I think that might be true of most pro sports in general. So much advertising money to be had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT