ADVERTISEMENT

How in the world is MB still at UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jauk will never allow facts to get in the way of his entrenched conformation bias. He believes he is on a mission from God.

I have given both of you DOZENS of very embarrassing FACTS and you don't try to contradict them, why, because they ARE facts, and budgets may not be the the worst of it because nothing could surpass the "recruiting center" but still a horrible indictment of the support for a program so far behind, keeping Brown as CO-DC to avoid his buyout, Brooks having to give Joker part of his salary to make sure he stayed, etc etc..

How can you possibly have an operating budget for football less than 10% higher for 85 rides than for 13 in basketball? In 2010 when the EXTRA (extra, bonus, who cares) $5,000,000 was received from the SEC distribution football with the SEC distribution was earning three times the money as basketball, about $18,000,000 vs about $5,000,000 from basketball. And while he was improving all the other sports essentially nothing extra was done for football.

Most good business men invest in their money maker.

jauk has told and retold himself this narrative so many times he actually believes it...#alternativefacts.

Hey jauk, there has never been a $5,000,000 SEC bonus.

The AD doesn't set a recruiting budget. Add that every coach who has coached since MB has been at UK has stated that they were given whatever they asked for with regards to the recruiting budget they set for themselves.

You continue to obsess about video screens that weren't being replaced because they were trying to get major stadium renovations approved. You also obviously forget that the stadium had just been expanded 2 years before Mitch's arrival.

No, not all of the 2007 season home games were sellouts. 3 in fact were not.

3 of those 5 years without a bowl were under the current coach. Are you suggesting the Mitch should have fired Stoops and hired someone else?

Call it what you want to, there was an extra and sounded like unexpected $5,000,000 available about 2010 from the SEC due to SEC football before the SEC network boosted it even more. I didn't read about any of it going back to football.

Who does set the recruiting budget, and why didn't mitch object to it if he is supposed to be a football AD, (LOL), isn't that part of his job? Does it make sense to you that Thug U had a football recruiting budget about three times UK's, when they already had EVERY advantage in the world? How can you have a recruiting budget for four or five basketball players more than for twenty five football players, especially considering the relative pluses and minuses of the two programs? Wasn't he supposed to be the expert? And does it make sense to you that Joker with all the handicaps he already had was really all for suspending Hartline for the bowl game? A really dumb move that sold the whole team down the river, and no doubt hurt morale a lot, was Joker behind them or not, he probably lost a lot of support from them over that. I guess he didn't really need the job, huh?With friends like mitch he didn't need any enemies.

In 07 I read that the average posted attendance for the home games was above the listed capacity, what was the attendance at the end of Joker's reign? How many season ticket holders did we lose?

How many sellouts did we have in 2012 and 2013?

One of the reasons I obsess about the scoreboards is because of loucatfan's long running thread trying to get some promise of it being replaced before the season ticket purchase deadline, because he wanted to try to keep his large tailgating party from Louisbille together. No word from anyone, although they had to have some idea it could be done because it WAS done. AND I read that the expected useful life of the scoreboards was about ten years when they were installed, were they put in two years before mitch got here during the expansion, if so that just makes it even worse. Did you notice any improvements in video displays in that period, or do you still have your big tube type clunker? And what has that expansion got to do with any of my statements? But the really funny thing about the scoreboards is that all that money that mitch couldn't possibly raise any earlier was raised from a different source in about a day when the faculty didn't want to LOAN with INTEREST any of UK's money when athletics (mainly football) had been giving them millions every year. Plus paying full out of state tuition for most of our football team because almost all of them are from out of state, from necessity..

I have been 100% behind Stoops from day one, and have never wavered and have made fun of the fans demanding more when he took over such a mess, you don't turn a football program around in a year or two when it is run into the ground as badly as ours was. Stoops had a plan, and hiring Marrow was a brilliant move, and I wouldn't doubt that he told mitch what had to be done and laid it all out for him before he took the job.

As I have said before, I do give mitch credit for being lucky, Brooks bailed him out when no one else wanted the job with the situation and support the team got, Cal said after his UMass team played UK in the nineties it was his dream job, Stoops sold himself (and obviously is a good salesman), and when he ran the program so far into the ground MAJOR improvements had to be made, presto, SEC football and the SEC network to the rescue.

And UK being the nearest school to a lot of northern talent that wants to play in the best football conference short of the NFL is another big plus for the turnaround. And that reputation as THE best football conference was NOT built by mitch or UK.

Last edited:
Is there anything that can happen with football that will let you get over your unhappiness with MB? Damn, we are finally starting to see a coach turn things around with our football program and all you want to do is bitch about how MB didn't do enough fast enough.

Sure, it would have been great to carry over Brooks' momentum as opposed to the Joker fiasco, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. Some on here just seem like they don't want to be happy, even when things are going well.

I am very happy, and have always been an optimist, I predicted nine wins in the prediction thread, with a good chance at ten. I just object to making mitch a football hero when the opposite is more the truth, what choice did he have but to throw a ton of money at football, and presto, suddenly there was a ton of money to throw at it thanks to OTHER SEC teams paying attention. Although he did get the loan for CW improvements, he did it at the cost of obligating the athletic department for about 50% more than it cost, a bad deal for the athletic department but a good deal for UK, which is fine by me, I would hate to be like a nearby city college. Just weird that it couldn't possibly be done before, but suddenly you can pay back about 50% more than it cost, plus interest.

We lost about ten good years.

He only stood on the corner about 12 years as far as football is concerned, IMO, LOL. But the SEC sure drove a nice new shiny bus for him to jump on.

"Where do all you all come up with this garbage that I am unhappy with Stoops or where the program is now, I have always been an optimist and have believed in Stoops since he started fixing our major problem, ..... "

I think there are a lot of us that are happy about where UK Athletics is 2017...
Someone on this Board said long time ago regarding MB that he's kept us clean and that is his sterling achievement... Going back to Rupp in my fandom, I appreciate that perspective... Kentucky, it seems, has been ripe for graft in many areas and sports certainly hasn't been left untouched. But MB has also done things that I deemed strange as a fan.... Looks like he's spending the NEW MONEY, in all the right places... I wish our AD good luck and continued success... But am not quite ready to give him Sainthood status....

Call it what you want to, there was an extra and sounded like unexpected $5,000,000 available about 2010
There has never been any "unexpected" revenue from the SEC.

Who does set the recruiting budget, and why didn't mitch object to it if he is supposed to be a football AD, (LOL), isn't that part of his job?
The head coaches for the respective sports set the recruiting budgets. No, it is not the AD's job to do so. It is the AD's job to provide the resources requested. Brooks, Joker, Stoops have all said they were given everything they requested with regards to operational capital in general and recruiting specifically.

Does it make sense to you that Thug U had a football recruiting budget about three times UK's, when they already had EVERY advantage in the world?
To start with, there is no standard accounting method for measuring recruiting budgets...or athletic program as a whole Some schools will accrue expenses such as depreciation, lighting/heat, etc within a budget like recruiting whereas another school will accrue those under operational expenses.
Tennessee, or as you call them "Thug U" owns a Beachcraft King Air 350 turbo-prop airplane. While the plane is owned by Tennessee Athletics it is used by other entities within UT. Still, much of the expense for that plane gets accrued into the recruiting budgets of the various sports at UT that make use of that plane. UK does not own an aircraft and therefore does not have that expense.

How can you have a recruiting budget for four or five basketball players more than for twenty five football players, especially considering the relative pluses and minuses of the two programs?
Simple, Cal asked for more money.

One of the reasons I obsess about the scoreboards is because of loucatfan's long running thread trying to get some promise of it being replaced before the season ticket purchase deadline
Anyone who ever says that they bought or did not buy season tickets for anything because of video boards is simply looking for an excuse IMHO.

And what has that expansion got to do with any of my statements?
The expansion plans called for the video to be moved/reconfigured therefore they would have spent millions for something used only a couple of years and then thrown away.

But the really funny thing about the scoreboards is that all that money that mitch couldn't possibly raise any earlier was raised from a different source in about a day when the faculty didn't want to LOAN with INTEREST any of UK's money when athletics

They didn't raise money from a different source. Athletics had the money budgeted for something else. They wanted to "borrow" so they didn't have to cut elsewhere. In the end they took the previously budgeted money and used it to fund the new video boards.

Let me add that Lee Todd and the BoT had approved the "loan" but because of the stink raised by faculty they decided to keep the peace and pay for it all out of current athletic funds.

Last edited:
Reactions: reflaine
About this great depression, isn't that about the time Thug U spent $80,000,000 on their football exercise room, they already had their 100,000 seat stadium.

Obvious hyperbole, but as to the main points . . . . Thug U and Transfer U and many other U's spent considerable money by selling more than naming rights.

They have long sold their souls to greed and under the table dealings, and most were never caught.

Check out the forensic accounting recently revealed at U of L. I suspect that the irregularities there would pale in comparison to some Universities to our South.

I really don't quite get you, Jauk. No one was more pissed off than I was leaving a Spring Game in 2010, but my concerns then have been addressed: we have a beautiful stadium, and football is on a sustained rise. The fans are treated well at the functions I have most recently attended. The first Spring Game under Stoops was historic . . . . all concession stands and bathrooms were open.

Frankly, Jauk, given your proven fan allegiance, your continued harping on Barnhardt seems a bit overboard. No one is perfect, and the mere fact that he has survived and we have prospered is more than enough reason to give him credit. I expected neither and am surprised at both.

You really didn't answer or address the primary thought/query in my lengthy post above.

I suspect that you have no realistic idea what Mitch (and others) had to overcome when it comes to UK football, and bringing serious support to it.

Let's just say that I was sortta', kindda' thrust into the middle of "the system" as it existed in the early to mid-80's, was personally acquainted with and even friends with folks and families who had thrown 7 figure sums around from the late 60's to the late 80's (generally under the table). At the time, UK Football was driving a beat up Ford pickup truck, and UK basketball was driving a Corvette . . . . and you can take that figuratively or literally.

From what I know, Mitch landed in the middle of essentially the same culture/system when he arrived, and he and the administration started doing some cleaning up that likely cost more money than the fan strike of which you speak . . . . but money that might not have been properly accounted for anyway.

Mitch Barnhardt brought UK athletics from the Middle Ages of what I willingly described as "close" to organized crime, into the 21st Century in his relatively short tenure. He and his administration stepped on lots of toes during this process, and yes, Mitch got short tempered and threw a little nasty back at those throwing it at him and Rich Brooks (2005), and then, again, when Joker came under fire.

It's time to let bygones be bygones, Jauk. I'd much rather have you inside pissing out, than outside pissing in.

About this great depression, isn't that about the time Thug U spent $80,000,000 on their football exercise room, they already had their 100,000 seat stadium.

Obvious hyperbole, but as to the main points . . . . Thug U and Transfer U and many other U's spent considerable money by selling more than naming rights.

They have long sold their souls to greed and under the table dealings, and most were never caught.

Check out the forensic accounting recently revealed at U of L. I suspect that the irregularities there would pale in comparison to some Universities to our South.

I really don't quite get you, Jauk. No one was more pissed off than I was leaving a Spring Game in 2010, but my concerns then have been addressed: we have a beautiful stadium, and football is on a sustained rise. The fans are treated well at the functions I have most recently attended. The first Spring Game under Stoops was historic . . . . all concession stands and bathrooms were open.

Frankly, Jauk, given your proven fan allegiance, your continued harping on Barnhardt seems a bit overboard. No one is perfect, and the mere fact that he has survived and we have prospered is more than enough reason to give him credit. I expected neither and am surprised at both.

You really didn't answer or address the primary thought/query in my lengthy post above.

I suspect that you have no realistic idea what Mitch (and others) had to overcome when it comes to UK football, and bringing serious support to it.

Let's just say that I was sortta', kindda' thrust into the middle of "the system" as it existed in the early to mid-80's, was personally acquainted with and even friends with folks and families who had thrown 7 figure sums around from the late 60's to the late 80's (generally under the table). At the time, UK Football was driving a beat up Ford pickup truck, and UK basketball was driving a Corvette . . . . and you can take that figuratively or literally.

From what I know, Mitch landed in the middle of essentially the same culture/system when he arrived, and he and the administration started doing some cleaning up that likely cost more money than the fan strike of which you speak . . . . but money that might not have been properly accounted for anyway.

Mitch Barnhardt brought UK athletics from the Middle Ages of what I willingly described as "close" to organized crime, into the 21st Century in his relatively short tenure. He and his administration stepped on lots of toes during this process, and yes, Mitch got short tempered and threw a little nasty back at those throwing it at him and Rich Brooks (2005), and then, again, when Joker came under fire.

It's time to let bygones be bygones, Jauk. I'd much rather have you inside pissing out, than outside pissing in.
Thank you for a great and truthful post.

Reactions: Levibooty
I've said on here many times that Mitch isn't going anywhere. He is a University President's dream as an AD. Here are things that matter to a President:

1. Run a clean program
2. Have good grades for athletes
3. Share the wealth of athletics with the university
4. Have a good overall athletic department

He gets an A+ in all of those areas. I know people don't want to hear this, but it's the truth. He has the main sport at UK competing every year (reagrdless of how much people think Mitch was/wasn't involed in Cal's hiring). If we had this great history in football, then yes, maybe he would feel a tiny bit of pressure.
None of that matters if one does not like his face. Haha

Certainly not on the same level, but when I was a school administrator, I saw athletics as just another matter that had to be monitored and administered. I didn't care if they won or lost. My only concern was that sports didn't add to the list of problems I had to deal with. So, I can see if I'm the president of a university, the main thing I'm concerned about re: athletics is that it stays clean and doesn't add to my problem list. From that point of view, mb is probably an ideal AD.
Of all people, I read a Bobby Knight quote around 25 years ago in which he said something relative to education and the role of athletics that I agree with 1000000%. Paraphrased it was something like this: "You could remove athletics from all colleges and the institutions would still be able to accomplish their primary mission: educating kids".

Admittedly, I have no connection to UK other than seeing it as a provider of entertainment. Thus, my interest in an AD that focuses the lion's share of his efforts on the sport I care about: Football.

I have given both of you DOZENS of very embarrassing FACTS and you don't try to contradict them, why, because they ARE facts, and budgets may not be the the worst of it because nothing could surpass the "recruiting center" but still a horrible indictment of the support for a program so far behind, keeping Brown as CO-DC to avoid his buyout, Brooks having to give Joker part of his salary to make sure he stayed, etc etc..

How can you possibly have an operating budget for football less than 10% higher for 85 rides than for 13 in basketball? In 2010 when the EXTRA (extra, bonus, who cares) $5,000,000 was received from the SEC distribution football with the SEC distribution was earning three times the money as basketball, about $18,000,000 vs about $5,000,000 from basketball. And while he was improving all the other sports essentially nothing extra was done for football.

Most good business men invest in their money maker.
You seem oblivious to almost everything Barnhart has accomplished, but you keep blaming him for problems not of his making. LOL! Basically, you are blaming Barnhart for Newton's shortcomings. The impact of what Barnhart has accomplished is lost on you because you literally haven't been to campus to attend a UK football game since before the internet was invented. The last time you attended a UK football game, Barnhart was probably in high school. Since you haven't seen our football facilities, your opinions about them are worthless. I have no expectation of changing your entrenched opinions, but it is good for everyone else to see what happens when someone pontificates about something they haven't actually seen and therefore don't understand.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
You seem oblivious to almost everything Barnhart has accomplished, but you keep blaming him for problems not of his making. LOL! Basically, you are blaming Barnhart for Newton's shortcomings. The impact of what Barnhart has accomplished is lost on you because you literally haven't been to campus to attend a UK football game since before the internet was invented. The last time you attended a UK football game, Barnhart was probably in high school. Since you haven't seen our football facilities, your opinions about them are worthless. I have no expectation of changing your entrenched opinions, but it is good for everyone else to see what happens when someone pontificates about something they haven't actually seen and therefore don't understand.

I'm sorry, but I really expected more from you------after all you do live in Lexington, LOL. Show me ONE place where I have EVER downgraded our NEW facilities, show me ONE place.

What has the last time I attended a football game got to do with anything? Are you saying if you don't live in Lexington and attend all the games your aren't allowed to have an opinion? Ridiculous theory. I have been very busy most of my life on Saturdays ON the football field, not sitting on my butt in the stands. For thirty three years I was usually the referee for four youth football games on Saturday, after refereeing two JV games Thursday night and a varsity high school game on Friday night, and several of those years I ran and played in a flag football league on Sunday. And I still attended a lot of the local colleges games serving as a spotter for my friend. And when you are married with children it is a little difficult to tell your wife that on top of all that you want to spend a few hundred dollars to fly to Lexington to watch another football game. Plus I was already attending our family reunions in the summers, where ever they were held, usually Kentucky.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words and the so called "recruiting room" was probably worth a lot more than that, and I am sure it was readily available to all the coaches recruiting against us, I can imagine recruits reaction to that unbelievable disgrace to a STATE UNIVERSITY "trying" to compete in the SEC.

Quit lying, I have never said anything bad about our new facilities, just that they were about ten years later than they should have been built, AND that I firmly believe that in addition to telling the "microwave fans" what he thought of them he probably spent the $156,000 to hang some pictures on a wall somewhere to tell those microwave fans just how much he was in charge and what he thought of them. And thousands of season ticket holders got the message.

How can you tell anyone with a straight face that mitch had any choice but to pull out all the stops to fix the bleeding in the face of a full fledged fan revolt that was (and IS) costing us millions when all this money has suddenly started rolling in? MOST of it because of the other SEC programs that weren't asleep on the job.

Last edited:
fuzz77 said:
There has never been any "unexpected" revenue from the SEC.

Ans: Here we go again. You know I used to think your desk was next to mitch's because of all the info you have from there, but maybe he just calls you when he needs some of his mismanagement explained. Did he call you after he discovered he had written CBG's contract on a napkin, or was it a piece of toilet paper? How about when he had to fire him?

So, that year, about 2010 IIRC the SEC distribution increased about $5,000,000 dollars, mostly due to the increased TV revenue and mostly due to SEC football the way I understood it and the NET from a poor football program was about $18M while the best bb program with no expense spared cleared about $5M. Now since that money was an increase (extra from the year before) why couldn't it have been used for the display screens fans were yelling for (and cancelling season tickets because they couldn't get any word it was going to happen).

The head coaches for the respective sports set the recruiting budgets. No, it is not the AD's job to do so. It is the AD's job to provide the resources requested. Brooks, Joker, Stoops have all said they were given everything they requested with regards to operational capital in general and recruiting specifically.

Ans: So, why was it that Brooks left again when he had everything he ever asked for, LOL.

What were they, stupid, lazy, or what? Since we had all the disadvantages in the world why weren't they trying to recruit harder? Why was the basketball program needing over $500,000 for recruiting when they already had everything for about five commits (then) vs 25 for football? Why did Thug U with all it advantages need three times as much as us?

To start with, there is no standard accounting method for measuring recruiting budgets...or athletic program as a whole Some schools will accrue expenses such as depreciation, lighting/heat, etc within a budget like recruiting whereas another school will accrue those under operational expenses.
Tennessee, or as you call them "Thug U" owns a Beachcraft King Air 350 turbo-prop

No matter how you bean counters count the beans Thug U with EVERY advantage in the world with a recruiting budget about three times UK's for football doesn't make any sense at all.

Simple, Cal asked for more money.

Ans: And Brooks enjoyed the wide open look of the "recruiting room". And it was easily converted back into a warehouse after recruiting was over, because that is what it was, a corner of a warehouse..

Anyone who ever says that they bought or did not buy season tickets for anything because of video boards is simply looking for an excuse IMHO.

Ans: You need to talk to loucatfan about that, dang, and all this time I thought he was one of our best fans and most intelligent posters, although he did seem to just disappear for a long time, disgusted? How could you have missed his long running thread trying to get some word on replacing the display screens BEFORE the season ticket deadline so he could keep his large group of tailgaters together. And since I think he lost about a third of them IIRC then I guess you might have to wonder what kind of fair weather fans he had been hanging out with for decades. I think you owe him and them an apology.

The expansion plans called for the video to be moved/reconfigured therefore they would have spent millions for something used only a couple of years and then thrown away.

Ans: Pure BS. They FINALLY redid them several years after they were due, did they tear them down again? Are you talking about the modifications about 15 years earlier, mentioned by someone but I don't see how that could possibly enter into it.

They didn't raise money from a different source. Athletics had the money budgeted for something else. They wanted to "borrow" so they didn't have to cut elsewhere. In the end they took the previously budgeted money and used it to fund the new video boards.

Ans: Even worse than I thought, so the money was readily available all the time but he didn't want to use it. The Rifle team? Figures. .

Let me add that Lee Todd and the BoT had approved the "loan" but because of the stink raised by faculty they decided to keep the peace and pay for it all out of current athletic funds.

Ans: Which makes it sound like they could have done it at any time before that, and wasn't that cute of the profs to turn down football's loan WITH INTEREST when football had been giving them close to $2,000,000 a year for years (how much does jurich give Transfer U) and also charges full out of state tuition fees for most of our players------no discounts for our football team, although mitch didn't have the money to invest in his best money maker.

Then of course while UK couldn't afford to do a real update on CW for decades the athletic department could afford to obligate itself for about 50% more than the upgrades cost to give to academic improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions: ram1955
I'm sorry, but I really expected more from you------after all you do live in Lexington, LOL. Show me ONE place where I have EVER downgraded our NEW facilities, show me ONE place.

What has the last time I attended a football game got to do with anything? Are you saying if you don't live in Lexington and attend all the games your aren't allowed to have an opinion? Ridiculous theory. I have been very busy most of my life on Saturdays ON the football field, not sitting on my butt in the stands. For thirty three years I was usually the referee for four youth football games on Saturday, after refereeing two JV games Thursday night and a varsity high school game on Friday night, and several of those years I ran and played in a flag football league on Sunday. And I still attended a lot of the local colleges games serving as a spotter for my friend. And when you are married with children it is a little difficult to tell your wife that on top of all that you want to spend a few hundred dollars to fly to Lexington to watch another football game. Plus I was already attending our family reunions in the summers, where ever they were held, usually Kentucky.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words and the so called "recruiting room" was probably worth a lot more than that, and I am sure it was readily available to all the coaches recruiting against us, I can imagine recruits reaction to that unbelievable disgrace to a STATE UNIVERSITY "trying" to compete in the SEC.

Quit lying, I have never said anything bad about our new facilities, just that they were about ten years later than they should have been built, AND that I firmly believe that in addition to telling the "microwave fans" what he thought of them he probably spent the $156,000 to hang some pictures on a wall somewhere to tell those microwave fans just how much he was in charge and what he thought of them. And thousands of season ticket holders got the message.

How can you tell anyone with a straight face that mitch had any choice but to pull out all the stops to fix the bleeding in the face of a full fledged fan revolt that was (and IS) costing us millions when all this money has suddenly started rolling in? MOST of it because of the other SEC programs that weren't asleep on the job.
When you post about officiating or about the nature of competitive athletics, I respect your opinion. When you post about Barnhart or our football facilities, most people's heads spin. It doesn't matter what you expect of me. Why would I possibly care? You live 3,000 miles away, and you have never even seen UK's current football facilities. You haven't attended a UK football game in the last generation. LOL! Yet you want us to accept your point of view about campus facilities as if you are an unchallenged expert on them, based on "facts" you select off the internet that support your dated views. It's absurd. You blame Barnhart for problems he inherited from Newton and Ivy, but you are tardy and reluctant to give him credit for his successful solutions. Worse, if another poster gives Barnhart fair credit for what he has accomplished, you rush like a moth to a flame to "correct" them with your confirmation-bias "facts". The golden years of Mark Stoops' tenure at UK are beginning now. Barnhart facilitated this happy time by hiring Stoops, renovating and building all of UK's current football facilities, paying our coaching staff better than ever before, and personally intervening in everything from directly helping with recruiting to Vince Marrow's trip to Ann Arbor. Like most other posters, I am going to enjoy this. Believe what you want, but don't labor under the delusion that you are any kind of an expert on Barnhart or our campus facilities.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if he lives in Frankfort. LOL! He admits he has not actually seen UK's current football facilities.

Because it does not fit his 2007 narrative. Jauk is pissed at MB and will never be objective. One of the only UK fans I know that wants to live in the past in 2017.
If he wants to be unfair and live in the past, I don't care. What really gets old is his repetitive rants about Barnhart's management of UK's football facilities, coming from a guy who has never actually seen them! LOL! I got pissed when he told me that he "expects better" from me. Who cares what he expects? He doesn't know what he is talking about. Anyone who actually saw UK's football facilities in 2001 and again in 2017 knows Jauk is preaching a false and misleading narrative.

When you post about officiating or about the nature of competitive athletics, I respect your opinion. When you post about Barnhart or our football facilities, most people's heads spin. It doesn't matter what you expect of me. Why would I possibly care? You live 3,000 miles away, and you have never even seen UK's current football facilities. You haven't attended a UK football game in the last generation. LOL! Yet you want us to accept your point of view about campus facilities as if you are an unchallenged expert on them, based on "facts" you select off the internet that support your dated views. It's absurd. You blame Barnhart for problems he inherited from Newton and Ivy, but you are tardy and reluctant to give him credit for his successful solutions. Worse, if another poster gives Barnhart fair credit for what he has accomplished, you rush like a moth to a flame to "correct" them with your confirmation-bias "facts". The golden years of Mark Stoops' tenure at UK are beginning now. Barnhart facilitated this happy time by hiring Stoops, renovating and building all of UK's current football facilities, paying our coaching staff better than ever before, and personally intervening in everything from directly helping with recruiting to Vince Marrow's trip to Ann Arbor. Like most other posters, I am going to enjoy this. Believe what you want, but don't labor under the delusion that you are any kind of an expert on Barnhart or our campus facilities.

LOL

No mention of my questions and points, hard to spin them huh. I repeat, show me anywhere that I have said I am anything but impressed and happy with our facilities now-------you can't, yet that seems to be your main argument now. My argument is that doing NOTHING but the bare minimum for UK football for ten years put us about ten years behind, other programs with ADs that recognized the source of most of the money in athletics now is from football and invested in it. Even Vandy passed us up for a while, and it is almost criminal to let WKU pass us up for a while------and they did.

The second point is I could live on Mars and still have a right to be a UK fan------I have earned it------I remember as a small kid being depressed listening to the game on the radio when Thug U scored a touchback against us late in the game and I didn't find out until the Sunday paper the next morning that, unlike our daily tackle games, only safety scores two points, and the game ended in a scoreless tie. Lots of scoring back then.

And I am a big fan and follow all UK sports, and appreciate what has been done for all the minor sports-------I just think if mitch had supported his MONEY MAKER like other good business men do he would have had a MUCH better football program AND a lot more money to invest in the "minor" sports. Instead he drove it into the ground with bare minimum support which cost UK millions in ticket sales which is continuing still, based on the talent we have now there shouldn't be a season ticket still available. Our loyal fans filled the stadium for every game in 07 with three in state four stars, a five point six RB, two LATE 5.5 three stars from in state, and an OL where the starters averaged about a 5.2 TWO STAR. That had a losing record in the SEC. Compare that to the talent we have today and tell me why all the season tickets aren't already sold out------there is an easy answer, mitch and hard feelings, and he lost millions of dollars from football fans, that swore on here they would like to donate money to FOOTBALL projects but would never give a dime to mitch's KFund for him to spend as he pleased. Maybe some misconception there, but what did he do to clarify it, called them microwave fans and didn't try to explain anything. Oour PR man needed a PR man.

But you have me pegged, I live in a small rowboat about a thousand miles off the coast of California, ain't the internet wonderful?

You know I thought Fuzz had learned that the best way to keep me from posting all these unpleasant facts is simple, just don't try to make mitch out to be our football hero, a very lucky man yes, a UK football hero, nothing could be farther from the truth. I am still waiting for you to tell me what choice mitch had but to throw tons of the suddenly available money at his disposal at football since it had been driven to the point where absolutely drastic measures were necessry.

Because it does not fit his 2007 narrative. Jauk is pissed at MB and will never be objective. One of the only UK fans I know that wants to live in the past in 2017.

Perfectly willing to forget the past as much as it can be forgotten, but completely unwilling to see mitch portrayed as UK's football hero when nothing could be farther from the truth.
If he wants to be unfair and live in the past, I don't care. What really gets old is his repetitive rants about Barnhart's management of UK's football facilities, coming from a guy who has never actually seen them! LOL! I got pissed when he told me that he "expects better" from me. Who cares what he expects? He doesn't know what he is talking about. Anyone who actually saw UK's football facilities in 2001 and again in 2017 knows Jauk is preaching a false and misleading narrative.

Wasted enough time talking to a wall, but you don't care? LOL I think I have told you and others several times, I would like to forget it, a waste of my time and probably better forgotten, but I can't stomach making mitch our football hero when it was driven into the ground under him.

Maybe I can still find a picture of the "recruiting room" in use forever and that will say more than words could ever express. Keep it up.

Last edited:
LOL

No mention of my questions and points, hard to spin them huh. I repeat, show me anywhere that I have said I am anything but impressed and happy with our facilities now-------you can't, yet that seems to be your main argument now. My argument is that doing NOTHING but the bare minimum for UK football for ten years put us about ten years behind, other programs with ADs that recognized the source of most of the money in athletics now is from football and invested in it. Even Vandy passed us up for a while, and it is almost criminal to let WKU pass us up for a while------and they did.

The second point is I could live on Mars and still have a right to be a UK fan------I have earned it------I remember as a small kid being depressed listening to the game on the radio when Thug U scored a touchback against us late in the game and I didn't find out until the Sunday paper the next morning that, unlike our daily tackle games, only safety scores two points, and the game ended in a scoreless tie. Lots of scoring back then.

And I am a big fan and follow all UK sports, and appreciate what has been done for all the minor sports-------I just think if mitch had supported his MONEY MAKER like other good business men do he would have had a MUCH better football program AND a lot more money to invest in the "minor" sports. Instead he drove it into the ground with bare minimum support which cost UK millions in ticket sales which is continuing still, based on the talent we have now there shouldn't be a season ticket still available. Our loyal fans filled the stadium for every game in 07 with three in state four stars, a five point six RB, two LATE 5.5 three stars from in state, and an OL where the starters averaged about a 5.2 TWO STAR. That had a losing record in the SEC. Compare that to the talent we have today and tell me why all the season tickets aren't already sold out------there is an easy answer, mitch and hard feelings, and he lost millions of dollars from football fans, that swore on here they would like to donate money to FOOTBALL projects but would never give a dime to mitch's KFund for him to spend as he pleased. Maybe some misconception there, but what did he do to clarify it, called them microwave fans and didn't try to explain anything. Oour PR man needed a PR man.

But you have me pegged, I live in a small rowboat about a thousand miles off the coast of California, ain't the internet wonderful?

You know I thought Fuzz had learned that the best way to keep me from posting all these unpleasant facts is simple, just don't try to make mitch out to be our football hero, a very lucky man yes, a UK football hero, nothing could be farther from the truth. I am still waiting for you to tell me what choice mitch had but to throw tons of the suddenly available money at his disposal at football since it had been driven to the point where absolutely drastic measures were necessry.
You have a dated confirmation bias, you have never even seen UK's current football facilities, and you leave out all the good stuff this administration has accomplished. You make a mistake by talking down to people who have actually seen the facilities you haven't seen. It makes you sound goofy. You called Barnhart a "very lucky man". The guy has completely turned most UK sports around, but you can't bring yourself to acknowledge his successes or his skills. Barnhart is the best athletics director we have had here. Cliff Hagan got us 2 major NCAA investigations and almost got us the death penalty. Newton hired Curry and Mumme, then turned a blind eye while Bassett payed high school players and their coaches. By contrast, Barnhart has improved every UK sport and modernized all of our facilities while following the rules and keeping UK out of trouble. I respect your opinions about officiating and about what happens on the field. But when it comes to program management, facilities, recruiting, you are as silly as you accuse others of being. Or more. If you insist, I can keep this up all day. It's easy to tell the truth. If you actually see our facilities, the truth speaks for itself.

Perfectly willing to forget the past as much as it can be forgotten, but completely unwilling to see mitch portrayed as UK's football hero when nothing could be farther from the truth.

Wasted enough time talking to a wall, but you don't care? LOL I think I have told you and others several times, I would like to forget it, a waste of my time and probably better forgotten, but I can't stomach making mitch our football hero when it was driven into the ground under him.

Maybe I can still find a picture of the "recruiting room" in use forever and that will say more than words could ever express. Keep it up.
Let it go jauk.... please

Maybe I can still find a picture of the "recruiting room" in use forever and that will say more than words could ever express.
Again with the old recruiting room. LOL! You are grasping for straws. Do you even realize that your favorite recruiting room was replaced when Barnhart renovated Commonwealth Stadium? So instead of showing pictures of old facilities that have been replaced, why not familiarize yourself with UK's current football facilities? But that wouldn't fit your dated narrative.

Again with the old recruiting room. LOL! You are grasping for straws. Do you even realize that your favorite recruiting room was replaced when Barnhart renovated Commonwealth Stadium? So instead of showing pictures of old facilities that have been replaced, why not familiarize yourself with UK's current football facilities? But that wouldn't fit your dated narrative.

LOL

Did you really think for a second I didn't know it had been replaced?

I repeat, show me ONE word where I have ever downgraded our new facilities, what a change.

Or just go on another tangent about how I can't be a real UK football fan because I don't live in Lexington, lol.

Let it go jauk.... please

I agree, a waste of my time, but you tell them to let it go, mitch is anything but our football hero.

Where are the THOUSANDS of fans that had season tickets in the family for generations that gave them up in protest of mitch and his football support? Where are all the fans that swore they would never donate a penny to UK athletics for mitch to spend as he chose?

Maybe they don't even come on here any more?

Jauk will never allow facts to get in the way of his entrenched confirmation bias. He believes he is on a mission from God.

Funny, but I have listed dozens of FACTS that you have never tried to contest-------must be because you can't. Instead you go on your rants about me dissing our PRESENT facilities, which has never happened, and your rant about you shouldn't be allowed to be a fan unless you live in Lexington, LOL.

"I agree, a waste of my time, but you tell them to let it go, mitch is anything but our football hero."

But that's actually not true. Compared to his predecessors (the athletic director version of the Three Stooges) who were corrupt and incompetent, Mitch is indeed a hero. In fact, savior might be a better term. The football program is in far better shape than it ever has been in my lifetime, and it has gotten there without a hint of scandal.

So, where is our Football program right now relative to facilities, recruiting budget, coaching salaries, total dollars spent on Football, etc....compared to other SEC schools? I agree that mb made improvements (though, IMO, improvements in Football should have come before one red cent was spent on any other sport), but what counts is where we rate right now.
When it comes to Football in the SEC, if you're not constantly improving, you're getting behind.

w
So, where is our Football program right now relative to facilities, recruiting budget, coaching salaries, total dollars spent on Football, etc....compared to other SEC schools? I agree that mb made improvements (though, IMO, improvements in Football should have come before one red cent was spent on any other sport), but what counts is where we rate right now.
When it comes to Football in the SEC, if you're not constantly improving, you're getting behind.

Good question, I have wondered what kind of recruiting budgets, operating budgets, etc we have now compared to the beginning of the end. I would guess they have to be a lot better, but I really think the recruiting abilities (and the emphasis on it) by our staff is a major factor. And I think an eight or nine win season (entirely possible IMO) this year could add even more fuel to the fire, I even wouldn't feel bad if we slowed down on commitments for a while, although you don't turn down commitments from four stars OR players our coaches really like, regardless of their ranking. Tremendous step up with our facilities going from among the worst in the SEC to among the best. BG high school had a better recruiting room" than we did for years, hope I don't get them on probation, LOL.

But totally agree that the improvements almost came too late, and we should have never had to go to ground zero in order to get what we were missing A tremendous advantage for our coaches not having to lie about the "recruiting room"

I had to throw that in for BD, LOL.

Last edited:
You have a dated confirmation bias, you have never even seen UK's current football facilities, and you leave out all the good stuff this administration has accomplished. You make a mistake by talking down to people who have actually seen the facilities you haven't seen. It makes you sound goofy. You called Barnhart a "very lucky man". The guy has completely turned most UK sports around, but you can't bring yourself to acknowledge his successes or his skills. Barnhart is the best athletics director we have had here. Cliff Hagan got us 2 major NCAA investigations and almost got
us the death penalty. Newton hired Curry and Mumme, then turned a blind eye while Bassett payed high school players and their coaches. By contrast, Barnhart has improved every UK sport and modernized all of our facilities while following the rules and keeping UK out of trouble. I respect your opinions about officiating and about what happens on the field. But when it comes to program management, facilities, recruiting, you are as silly as you accuse others of being. Or more. If you insist, I can keep this up all day. It's easy to tell the truth. If you actually see our facilities, the truth speaks for itself.

LOL. Once again the tired opinion that because I haven't personally seen the facilities I can't have an opinion on them------and the LIE that I have a bad opinion of them, LOL. The internet is a wonderful place, how much more good do you think Thug U has gotten from spending EIGHTY MILLION on just their exercise palace back when the money went farther AND with the advantage of using them all those years. And no, I haven't seen them in person either, so how can I possibly know anything about them?

Yes, we are playing catch up, and doing a great job at it, but we wasted a lot of years.

OK, once again, after running our football program into the ground and with all the money now coming in (thank your, Bama and the rest of the SEC, and thanks for making UK a preferred location for all the excellent talent that has to travel through Kentucky to get to any SEC football program.) what choice do you really think mitch had but to throw money at the football program? Why can't ;you answer that simple question?

Actually I understand, the answer would be embarrassing.

"I agree, a waste of my time, but you tell them to let it go, mitch is anything but our football hero."

But that's actually not true. Compared to his predecessors (the athletic director version of the Three Stooges) who were corrupt and incompetent, Mitch is indeed a hero. In fact, savior might be a better term. The football program is in far better shape than it ever has been in my lifetime, and it has gotten there without a hint of scandal.

Actually wrote a much longer reply but it disappeared somewhere, not wasting my time again, you are lucky.

I just want to say that it sounds like faint praise indeed when you compare mitch to the three stooges and his predecessors that you say were both corrupt and incompetent, LOL. Mitch would have been a hero if he had started ten years earlier and not when he HAD to because of his previous disasters AND only after so much money started rolling in because OTHER SEC ADs weren't asleep at the wheel that it is hard to spend it all--------although the academic side will doubtless help them get rid of any surplus.-----actually they already have, with all the money they got from the loan with no investment. And they do still have that loan to repay for the CW upgrades------oh wait, plus about 50% (maybe more like 100%)------oh wait, plus interest.

But agree, love where our program sits right now, just believe mitch is much closer to a villain than a hero as far as the football program is concerned. Not bad for a program that couldn't have done it on their own for ages, you would have thought that a program that averaged OVER listed capacity all year in 07 would have had some borrowing power, especially when they were operating on a shoestring..

Last edited:
Actually wrote a much longer reply but it disappeared somewhere, not wasting my time again, you are lucky.

I just want to say that it sounds like faint praise indeed when you compare mitch to the three stooges and his predecessors that you say were both corrupt and incompetent, LOL. Mitch would have been a hero if he had started ten years earlier and not when he HAD to because of his previous disasters AND only after so much money started rolling in because OTHER SEC ADs weren't asleep at the wheel that it is hard to spend it all--------although the academic side will doubtless help them get rid of any surplus.-----actually they already have, with all the money they got from the loan with no investment. And they do still have that loan to repay for the CW upgrades------oh wait, plus about 50% (maybe more like 100%)------oh wait, plus interest.

But agree, love where our program sits right now, just believe mitch is much closer to a villain than a hero as far as the football program is concerned. Not bad for a program that couldn't have done it on their own for ages, you would have thought that a program that averaged OVER listed capacity all year in 07 would have had some borrowing power, especially when they were operating on a shoestring..
You believe Barnhart is a "villain" because you have an entrenched confirmation bias and you are morally incapable of acknowledging the magnitude of his accomplishments. You sound incapable of understanding that recovering from major NCAA sanctions and mismanagement by predecessors takes years to accomplish in a small state with historic economic and political difficulties. It doesn't matter whether Jauk considers Barnhart a hero, and it doesn't matter what Jauk thinks about posters who respect Barnhart. LOL! The point is that Barnhart is getting the job done. Every sport is improving. Our football team is going to bowls again. All football facilities have been replaced or undergone major upgrades. (Jauk doesn't understand this because he hasn't been on campus since Reagan was President.) A new baseball stadium is being built. Barnhart has negotiated with the city for necessary upgrades at RA. All minor sports are flourishing now. That's the overall picture, and Barnhart did it. Although these are the happy times for UK sports, there will always be a few delusional outliers who don't get it or can't accept it. They won't stop the rest of us from enjoying UK's success.

Last edited:
Kentucky football is in the best shape it has been since Bear Bryant. Soon, everyone will see this, even those who wanted Stoops and Barnhart fired just a year ago.

(Quoted from another thread)

Blue Decade, we gotta' keep working on Jaul11!

Where are the THOUSANDS of fans that had season tickets in the family for generations that gave them up in protest of mitch and his football support? Where are all the fans that swore they would never donate a penny to UK athletics for mitch to spend as he chose?

Maybe they don't even come on here any more?

Well, I'm, one of those thousands . . . . my strike came to an end when Stoops was hired and fans got treated right. That was in 2013, Jauk . . . . and that's when the upgrades were announced. It took some time to build them all, but it all got done.

And as far as the "strike" that we had, this affected powers surrounding Barnhardt more than it did Barnhardt, himself. I believe it empowered him, as I have always believed he was football centric.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Can Jauk make one post without mentioning 'the recruiting room'? M money is on no.

I"m not sure how many other thanks you are going to get but I want to thank you.

Well, there was the time Brooks had to give part of his salary to Joker to keep him when Bama was asking about him, there was keeping Brown as the "Co-Defensive Coordinator" rather than pay the $200,000 severance pay, there was the operating budget for football with all the coaches, medical bills, uniforms, travel, etc etc for EIGHTY FIVE players that was less than a million more than for THIRTEEN basketball players, (How in the world was that possible), the recruiting budget less for 25 commits than for about 5 in basketball when basketball had EVERYTHING, also about a third of Thug U's when they had everything, including the new $80,000,000 weight room facility, the "microwave fans" remark which he refused to apologize for and ran off donars for football because he refused to let them donate to football projects,AND showed them who was boss by spending $156,000 to hang some pictures on a wall somewhere instead of doing something about that abom-----oh, sorry, almost forgot,--------delaying the display screens for years after they were scheduled to be replaced and giving no hint they would be replaced before the season ticket deadline, several more I have forgotten for the moment, but come again.

Oh, screw it, NO DOUBT the most stubborn stupid arrogant action by any AD in history was the abysmal excuse for a "recruiting room" which every SEC coach had pictures of to make liars of our coaches that said we were serious about football-------except Tee of course, that admitted he just lied to recruits about our facilities--------and some recruits didn't know about it because the minor league teams we were recruiting against didn't have the picture. And for all the apologists that say he didn't know about it, it wasn't important, he didn't have the money, BS, he knew about it and rubbed our face in it for years, what was he being paid the big bucks for if it wasn't to handle things like that-------oh, and to build good relations with the fans, lol.

Sorry, I tried, but it is impossible for a real UK football fan to forget that incredible blunder hung around our coaches necks for about 15 years-------or was it longer.

Aren't you glad you asked, I'm sure some of our posters are, LOL, but contrary to popular opinion I am very happy with our coaches and program now that they are being given a chance, why not just forget it. But no, I am not ready to call mitch a football hero, so if you want me to shut up just shut up with that nonsense, he didn't have ANY choice in what is happening now. And the lies about me not being happy with the program and especially our coaches NOW are just that, lies, but some keep repeating them. Along with the lie that you have to live in Lexington to be a UK fan, how stupid. Although I think he is ALMOST as stubborn as I am, lol..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT