ADVERTISEMENT

How in the world is MB still at UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone correctly points out that you are badly misinformed because you haven't been on campus in decades, that means to you the other poster must be on the athletic director's payroll, or must at least be a hero worshipper of the athletic director. Because the other logical alternative (the 1 that actually makes sense) is so painful that you can't contemplate it. You are a retired person with an internet obsession, living 1,000s of miles from our campus. You literally haven't attended a UK game or seen our facilities in decades. So, you actually have no idea what you are talking about. Somewhere along the line, you have developed a fixation with this website, maybe because a few other anti-UK posters engage you here. In your internet fantasy, you are an expert on everything that's wrong with UK. But you have convinced yourself that you are a "positive" poster because you are defending UK against our evil athletics director and all the posters (like me) that he pays to shield him from your brilliant posts. You post this goofy stuff here obsessively. I guess it's cheaper than the slots, right? But give us a break, bro. Really.

Still waiting for you guys to quit CLAIMING you have debunked any of my FACTS when you haven't debunked any of them. One of the biggest reasons why I reply when you post one of your bogus posts, you would protect mitch more if you just quit lying about it and making me post the odious FACTS again.

How about that "recruiting room" in use for about 15 years, most of it under mitch, wasn't that something unbelievable and out of a horror movie? Got any pictures you want to share?

Fine with me, if they keep it up another year they might find a way to debunk some of the facts.

Im good friends with the person that took the “recruiting room” picture,and helped circulate it ,for distribution to fans that were unaware of the absolute penny wise,pound foolish management of the football program. My question along with them ,was why didn’t the fan boycott,happen many years ago? The answer is, the controlling of the information, prior to the internet,did not allow the sorry state of funding for football to be revealed to the public fandom. If the information could have been accurately disseminated to the public,the fan boycott would have happened long ago! Thus jauk11, your ranting and raving are self serving,in regards to Mitch versus all of the basketball only ADs ,that perpetuated the pathetic state of the football program! Backup ,and take your righteous indignation,and direct it towards the custodians of prior to the internet regimes,that enjoyed the controlled media,to strangle football ,without the daylight of the general public being aware! Learn your history!

Last edited:
Im good friends with the person that took the “recruiting room” picture,and helped circulate it ,for distribution to fans that were unaware of the absolute penny wise,pound foolish management of the football program. My question along with them ,was why didn’t the fan boycott,happen many years ago? The answer is, the controlling of the information, prior to the internet,did not allow the sorry state of funding for football to be revealed to the public fandom. If the information could have been accurately disseminated to the public,the fan boycott would have happened long ago! Thus jauk11, your ranting and raving are self serving,in regards to Mitch versus all of the basketball only ADs ,that perpetuated the pathetic state of the football program! Backup ,and take your righteous indignation,and direct it towards the custodians of prior to the internet regimes,that enjoyed the controlled media,to strangle football ,without the daylight of the general public being aware! Learn your history!

Not sure why you’re railing Jauk over this.

Reactions: jauk11
The non hire of Howard Schnellenburger by two bb only ads tells you all you need to know about this.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
I just stop by the thread now and then to see who blinks first, eight pages in and everyone(3 mostly) is still holding strong in the trenches! Jauk,, where do you live now and are you originally from Ky or did you go to school at UK? Just wondering.

I like history, took a Kentucky history course one summer while working on an UK engineering grant to weigh trucks in motion on the highway, did you know Kentucky came from Kaintuck, an old Indian word for dark and bloody grounds because no one controlled it and the tribes from the Tennessee and north of the Ohio had bloody battles when they met here? AND there just weren't many FACTS about the sorry support of football before the internet, and I was late jumping on it, still leave twittering and tweeting to the birds.

Very good first half of your post, thanks for that, agrees with my view completely. But AFTER mitch took over, couldn't he learn from past history, AND during the period when OTHER SEC teams were improving their facilities because it was intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that FOOTBALL was the emerging MONEY COW, UK football clearing more than THREE times as much as the best program in college even with PITIFUL support while basketball had the BEST of everything (and I have no problem with that, most good business men INVEST in their money makers------instead of STARVING it-------basket makes even MORE money available), UK had about 60% of the recruiting budget for football for over SIX times the players as in basketball. Plus the Midnight Madness recruiting tool, about the same expense as the football recruiting budget. About the same OPERATING budget for over SIX times the players in basketball in a more expensive sport, how was that even possible?

Please answer that last question, incredible, no one else dares even try, although all my critics LIE and say ALL of my FACTS have been debunked.

Just my opinion, but mitch did just as much to strangle football as any of the prior ADs, name ONE thing above the BARE MINIMUM he did for football for about TWELVE years-------UNTIL the strike. The scoreboards AND speakers were TWO years past their estimated usefulness when they were built, do you have the same TV you had then? And when the long suffering football fans objected (BOTH by not renewing season tickets AND stopping donations to football) he called them "microwave fans". LOL, Dumb thing for our PR man to say, he needed a PR man.

TWELVE of the years the pitiful "recruiting room' was used (except by our best recruiter, who admitted he LIED about our facilities to recruits AFTER he left) was under mitch's watch, and I still believe that him spending $156,000 on hanging some pictures on a wall somewhere was his way of telling the "microwave fans" who was in charge. Ten thousand would have easily replaced the folding chairs and projection screen, put some carpet on the floor, and maybe even put some temporary walls up so they wouldn't know our "recruiting room" wasn't just the corner of a warehouse.

So, what should I do to the prior ADs, aren't most of them dead now? How much good would that do now? Followed that blog your friend had, saw the picture there first, read a lot of Messenger's posts on there, wonder what ever happened to it AND him, haven't been able to google the picture for a long time, bet Thug U and Transfer U still have a lot of pictures of it, made a lie of the "not just a bb school", lol. Probably best, no need to get sick again.

UK just tied it up, but missed a chance to lead and now KSU is ahead again------oops, three pointer, ahead by one. don't bother me.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
That’s priceless. You do understand that he was talking about you? Right?

Oh, he was talking about me, I thought he was talking about you lying about debunking my FACTS. Are you sure about that, you know anyone can just ignore the post or posters at any time, don't you?

I just stop by the thread now and then to see who blinks first, eight pages in and everyone(3 mostly) is still holding strong in the trenches! Jauk,, where do you live now and are you originally from Ky or did you go to school at UK? Just wondering.

Grew up in southeastern Ky, same school 12 years, the whole family AND school all UK, mostly football. Graduated from UK, BSEE and eta kappa nu and tau beta pi honararies, went west at 27, made a life, got married with children, played flag football in leagues for years on Saturdays and then officiated for 33 years, busy on Saturdays but still recorded and watched every UK game available. And now TWENTY THOUSAND fans give up their season tickets in the family for generations that live in driving distance (and get BETTER tickets because of the strike, right Sluggo?) and people give me hell because I choose to go back to Kentucky for family reunions instead of spending too much to fly and buy crazy tickets.

And now I found out I can't even be a fan if I don't live in Lexington, lol.

That’s priceless. You do understand that he was talking about you? Right?

Great, another like from Sluggo, imagine that

Did you read my post: "Still waiting for you guys to quit CLAIMING you have debunked any of my FACTS when you haven't debunked any of them. One of the biggest reasons why I reply when you post one of your bogus posts, you would protect mitch more if you just quit lying about it and making me post the odious FACTS again. When are you going to reply with FACTS.

How about that "recruiting room" in use for about 15 years, most of it under mitch, wasn't that something unbelievable and out of a horror movie? Got any pictures you want to share?

"I think I will try to find that picture again, it really tells an unbelievable story, no wonder it "disappeared".

My guess is one look at that picture and the opposition would wave a white flag.

UK is going to screw around and lose this game, let too many chances go by.

But I believe, they missed the free one, they are screwing up too, but we miss again.

And unbelievable, we find a way to lose it. Never got in the groove for very long.

A 9 and an 11 playing for the final four, UK beats a 12 and 13 but a 9 is too tough for them. Goes to show you, a hundred chances to win the game. Florida state, a 9, leading Gonzago, a 4, by 15 in the other game with O.14 to go. Game over?

Last edited:
I like history, took a Kentucky history course one summer while working on an UK engineering grant to weigh trucks in motion on the highway, did you know Kentucky came from Kaintuck, an old Indian word for dark and bloody grounds because no one controlled it and the tribes from the Tennessee and north of the Ohio had bloody battles when they met here? AND there just weren't many FACTS about the sorry support of football before the internet, and I was late jumping on it, still leave twittering and tweeting to the birds.

Very good first half of your post, thanks for that, agrees with my view completely. But AFTER mitch took over, couldn't he learn from past history, AND during the period when OTHER SEC teams were improving their facilities because it was intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that FOOTBALL was the emerging MONEY COW, UK football clearing more than THREE times as much as the best program in college even with PITIFUL support while basketball had the BEST of everything (and I have no problem with that, most good business men INVEST in their money makers------instead of STARVING it-------basket makes even MORE money available), UK had about 60% of the recruiting budget for football for over SIX times the players as in basketball. Plus the Midnight Madness recruiting tool, about the same expense as the football recruiting budget. About the same OPERATING budget for over SIX times the players in basketball in a more expensive sport, how was that even possible?

Please answer that last question, incredible, no one else dares even try, although all my critics LIE and say ALL of my FACTS have been debunked.

Just my opinion, but mitch did just as much to strangle football as any of the prior ADs, name ONE thing above the BARE MINIMUM he did for football for about TWELVE years-------UNTIL the strike. The scoreboards AND speakers were TWO years past their estimated usefulness when they were built, do you have the same TV you had then? And when the long suffering football fans objected (BOTH by not renewing season tickets AND stopping donations to football) he called them "microwave fans". LOL, Dumb thing for our PR man to say, he needed a PR man.

TWELVE of the years the pitiful "recruiting room' was used (except by our best recruiter, who admitted he LIED about our facilities to recruits AFTER he left) was under mitch's watch, and I still believe that him spending $156,000 on hanging some pictures on a wall somewhere was his way of telling the "microwave fans" who was in charge. Ten thousand would have easily replaced the folding chairs and projection screen, put some carpet on the floor, and maybe even put some temporary walls up so they wouldn't know our "recruiting room" wasn't just the corner of a warehouse.

So, what should I do to the prior ADs, aren't most of them dead now? How much good would that do now? Followed that blog your friend had, saw the picture there first, read a lot of Messenger's posts on there, wonder what ever happened to it AND him, haven't been able to google the picture for a long time, bet Thug U and Transfer U still have a lot of pictures of it, made a lie of the "not just a bb school", lol. Probably best, no need to get sick again.

UK just tied it up, but missed a chance to lead and now KSU is ahead again------oops, three pointer, ahead by one. don't bother me.
I know I am going to regret this, but I'm going to repeat what has been said 100 times before.

Where you are wrong, and have been shown to be wrong, is that you directly blame the AD for how long it took to fund the new facilities. Where is your proof of that? I'm not interested in some anecdotal story. I'm interested in proof. Most people understand that the AD is not the decision maker when it comes to facility improvements. Those expenditures must be signed off on by the President of the University and the Board and approved by the legislature. The AD and President said multiple times over the time frame you are talking about that other academic projects on campus that were higher priority than athletic facilities were taking the university's bonding capacity and that athletics would have to wait its turn. This was explained at the time it was happening. The AD had no option to build anything that he didn't already have the money for. So while it is true that UK didn't put in a lot of investment in its football program during those years, it is not true that it was because the AD didn't want to. There were very valid reasons they didn't do it during the time frame you are talking about. They were building infrastructure for the academic side of the university that was more important than athletic facilities and those projects used most of UK's bonding capacity.

The fan revolt, as some call it, forcing UK's hand to invest in the football program is another myth. The plan was always to make those investments once other projects on campus were finished and bonding capacity was freed up. Whether season ticket sales declined or not, those investments would have been made when they were made. If season ticket sales had declined 2 years earlier, the investments wouldn't have come any sooner than they did. The timing had everything to do with the priorities of the university, available bonding capacity, and nothing else. If you can prove different, I want to see it.

I know I am going to regret this, but I'm going to repeat what has been said 100 times before.

Where you are wrong, and have been shown to be wrong, is that you directly blame the AD for how long it took to fund the new facilities. Where is your proof of that? I'm not interested in some anecdotal story. I'm interested in proof. Most people understand that the AD is not the decision maker when it comes to facility improvements. Those expenditures must be signed off on by the President of the University and the Board and approved by the legislature. The AD and President said multiple times over the time frame you are talking about that other academic projects on campus that were higher priority than athletic facilities were taking the university's bonding capacity and that athletics would have to wait its turn. This was explained at the time it was happening. The AD had no option to build anything that he didn't already have the money for. So while it is true that UK didn't put in a lot of investment in its football program during those years, it is not true that it was because the AD didn't want to. There were very valid reasons they didn't do it during the time frame you are talking about. They were building infrastructure for the academic side of the university that was more important than athletic facilities and those projects used most of UK's bonding capacity.

The fan revolt, as some call it, forcing UK's hand to invest in the football program is another myth. The plan was always to make those investments once other projects on campus were finished and bonding capacity was freed up. Whether season ticket sales declined or not, those investments would have been made when they were made. If season ticket sales had declined 2 years earlier, the investments wouldn't have come any sooner than they did. The timing had everything to do with the priorities of the university, available bonding capacity, and nothing else. If you can prove different, I want to see it.

The proof is in the budgets, which no one has disputed.

Where you are wrong is in thinking I expected him to go out and obligate UK athletics department for about a hundred million MORE than the renovations cost when he couldn't afford to replace the FOLDING CHAIRS in the corner of a warehouse in use for about 15 years, at least 12 under his watch------when BASKETBALL still had the best of everything. The biggest reason he did that was to get rid of 6,000 microwave fans AND replace them with the boxes for his big bucks friends, the ones in the sound proof boxes making business deals.

I blame him for not being the leader that pointed out the emergence of FOOTBALL as the money sport, and insisting we go off the starvation diet for football. MOST of my posts are about the ridiculous budgets football had UNTIL THE STRIKE (and the money rolling in from OTHER SEC ADs being awake), and most of the budgets were ridiculous, an operating budget for SIX times the players in a MORE expensive sport about $11,000,000 when basketball's budget was over $10,000,000------that and the just as dismal recruiting budget for football, compared to both basketball and the competition like Thug U, which had a 3 times budget with all the advantages in the world. And while his fans (and they are supposed to be football fans) have never disputed that my numbers ARE the published numbers, they still falsely claim they have debunked them all. BS.

And no one has disputed that those were the published numbers around 2010 when he successfully ran our program into the dirt.

Name ONE thing out of the ordinary he did for football in his first ten years here, and Tim wasn't about to donate his money to the basketball program which already had EVERY possible thing that money can buy, although he was a great basketball player in high school.

And yes the "microwave fans" was a monumental testimony to his arrogance,

UK could have lived without the renovation that cost the athletic department $200,000,000 or more AND which reduced seating by 6,000 seats, what they needed desperately was for about $10,000,000 to be spent on the GLARING deficiencies of our "recruiting room", which all of our competitors had a picture of AND which caused our best recruiter to say he lied to recruits about our facilities, AFTER he jumped ship as soon as he could, of course.

And I still believe him spending $156,000 on hanging some pictures on a wall somewhere was his way of telling those microwave fans who was the boss. What could you do to a corner of a warehouse somewhere with that much money, 15 years of that atrocity, 12 under him.

How much did the loss of about TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders, MOST still gone AND never to return, cost UK football? How about the LONG thread on here by fans saying they wanted to donate to UK FOOTBALL projects but would NEVER donate a dime as long as mitch was in charge? How much did he lose in donations, BESIDES the millions in attendance. I still contend that money PLUS the millions MORE a successful program would have brought in DWARFS the money he saved by scrimping on everything connected with football, he would have had MORE for the minor programs instead of less. MOST successful business men invest in their money maker, and in 2010 with dismal support football cleared about $18,000,000 vs less than $5,000,000 for the BEST basketball program in the US, that has EVERYTHING imaginable ------AND that was also a good investment, other SEC programs were losing money on bb.

Lots of other instances of him scrimping on football, most of them pointed out before, Brown, Brooks giving Joker part of his salary, delaying the scoreboards for LONGER than possible, etc etc.

TWENTY THOUSAND former season ticket holders agree with you, he did a masterful job of supporting football UNTIL the strike AND the millions rolling in because of OTHER SEC ADs.

Thanks for asking, but I thought most on here would like for the thread to end, I wouldn't mind it at all myself, a waste of time at this point. Just don't be telling me mitch is your football hero too, and this isn't the rifle team's forum, even though I do admire their work, along with the other MINOR NON REVENUE PRODUCING sports..

Last edited:
As I expected you didn't address anything I said. You just rinse and repeat the same things, ignoring the fact that most of what you say has been disputed with things you don't ever address. Why don't you address the bonding issue on campus and how that relates to funding for new facilities during that period?

jauk11 said:

It's not the budget that has been disputed. It's your interpretation of the budget that has been disputed and pretty much debunked over and over again. Just because you see conspiracy in the budget numbers doesn't mean there was one. It also doesn't mean that the AD refused to provide the support that his coaches asked for. That is a huge leap from just comparing numbers in a budget. You have no proof of anything you contend the AD has done being accurate

Where you are wrong is in thinking I expected him to go out and obligate UK athletics department for about a hundred million MORE than the renovations cost
The AD can't obligate the university for the cost of the renovations. He doesn't have that authority. Not sure where you are getting that from.

when he couldn't afford to replace the FOLDING CHAIRS in the corner of a warehouse in use for about 15 years, at least 12 under his watch------when BASKETBALL still had the best of everything. The biggest reason he did that was to get rid of 6,000 microwave fans AND replace them with the boxes for his big bucks friends, the ones in the sound proof boxes making business deals.

I blame him for not being the leader that pointed out the emergence of FOOTBALL as the money sport, and insisting we go off the starvation diet for football.
How do you know he never pointed this out? Were you in all of the meetings between the AD and the President/Board? Can you prove this is a true statement?

MOST of my posts are about the ridiculous budgets football had UNTIL THE STRIKE (and the money rolling in from OTHER SEC ADs being awake), and most of the budgets were ridiculous, an operating budget for SIX times the players in a MORE expensive sport about $11,000,000 when basketball's budget was over $10,000,000------that and the just as dismal recruiting budget for football, compared to both basketball and the competition like Thug U, which had a 3 times budget with all the advantages in the world.
This has also been addressed, but you keep repeating it. The recruiting budget was discussed publicly when Joker was recruiting coordinator. The AD said he gave them the recruiting budget they asked for and if they wanted more he had no problem with increasing it. Both Brooks and Joker said they had the recruiting budget they needed.

And while his fans (and they are supposed to be football fans) have never disputed that my numbers ARE the published numbers, they still falsely claim they have debunked them all. BS.
The numbers aren't in dispute. Your back stories around them are and you offer no proof of what you say.

And no one has disputed that those were the published numbers around 2010 when he successfully ran our program into the dirt.

Name ONE thing out of the ordinary he did for football in his first ten years here, and Tim wasn't about to donate his money to the basketball program which already had EVERY possible thing that money can buy, although he was a great basketball player in high school.
What extraordinary thing should he have done considering what was going on at the university?

Frankly, I hate insulting our fans, because we have great fans. That being said, some of our fans are very ignorant fans and fit the description of microwave fans.

UK could have lived without the renovation that cost the athletic department $200,000,000 or more AND which reduced seating by 6,000 seats, what they needed desperately was for about $10,000,000 to be spent on the GLARING deficiencies of our "recruiting room", which all of our competitors had a picture of AND which caused our best recruiter to say he lied to recruits about our facilities, AFTER he jumped ship as soon as he could, of course.
You seem to be obsessed with the recruiting room. While i like the idea of it, I don't think it is nearly as important as the other facilities. Spending money to build some kind of recruiting room when you are planning a complete renovation of the stadium is pretty short sighted and wasteful. That's the tail wagging the dog. If the recruiting room is your big issue with the AD, you don't have much of an issue.

And I still believe him spending $156,000 on hanging some pictures on a wall somewhere was his way of telling those microwave fans who was the boss. What could you do to a corner of a warehouse somewhere with that much money, 15 years of that atrocity, 12 under him.
You need to learn to separate what you believe from reality.

How much did the loss of about TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders, MOST still gone AND never to return, cost UK football? How about the LONG thread on here by fans saying they wanted to donate to UK FOOTBALL projects but would NEVER donate a dime as long as mitch was in charge? How much did he lose in donations, BESIDES the millions in attendance. I still contend that money PLUS the millions MORE a successful program would have brought in DWARFS the money he saved by scrimping on everything connected with football, he would have had MORE for the minor programs instead of less. MOST successful business men invest in their money maker, and in 2010 with dismal support football cleared about $18,000,000 vs less than $5,000,000 for the BEST basketball program in the US, that has EVERYTHING imaginable ------AND that was also a good investment, other SEC programs were losing money on bb.
I explained in detail how the AD did not have authority to build those projects and yet here you are attributing all of this to the AD. All of this is pure BS unless you can show the university wanted to spend the money on football facilities instead of academic projects and the AD said no I don't want to do that.

Are you saying that if he had built a recruiting room and had a larger recruiting budget, fans wouldn't have left? I hope you don't really believe that because that is pure fantasy.

Lots of other instances of him scrimping on football, most of them pointed out before, Brown, Brooks giving Joker part of his salary, delaying the scoreboards for LONGER than possible, etc etc.

TWENTY THOUSAND former season ticket holders agree with you, he did a masterful job of supporting football UNTIL the strike AND the millions rolling in because of OTHER SEC ADs.

Thanks for asking, but I thought most on here would like for the thread to end, I wouldn't mind it at all myself, a waste of time at this point. Just don't be telling me mitch is your football hero too, and this isn't the rifle team's forum, even though I do admire their work, along with the other MINOR NON REVENUE PRODUCING sports..[/QUOTE]

As I expected you didn't address anything I said. You just rinse and repeat the same things, ignoring the fact that most of what you say has been disputed with things you don't ever address. Why don't you address the bonding issue on campus and how that relates to funding for new facilities during that period?

jauk11 said:

It's not the budget that has been disputed. It's your interpretation of the budget that has been disputed and pretty much debunked over and over again. Just because you see conspiracy in the budget numbers doesn't mean there was one. It also doesn't mean that the AD refused to provide the support that his coaches asked for. That is a huge leap from just comparing numbers in a budget. You have no proof of anything you contend the AD has done being accurate

Where you are wrong is in thinking I expected him to go out and obligate UK athletics department for about a hundred million MORE than the renovations cost
The AD can't obligate the university for the cost of the renovations. He doesn't have that authority. Not sure where you are getting that from.

when he couldn't afford to replace the FOLDING CHAIRS in the corner of a warehouse in use for about 15 years, at least 12 under his watch------when BASKETBALL still had the best of everything. The biggest reason he did that was to get rid of 6,000 microwave fans AND replace them with the boxes for his big bucks friends, the ones in the sound proof boxes making business deals.

I blame him for not being the leader that pointed out the emergence of FOOTBALL as the money sport, and insisting we go off the starvation diet for football.
How do you know he never pointed this out? Were you in all of the meetings between the AD and the President/Board? Can you prove this is a true statement?

MOST of my posts are about the ridiculous budgets football had UNTIL THE STRIKE (and the money rolling in from OTHER SEC ADs being awake), and most of the budgets were ridiculous, an operating budget for SIX times the players in a MORE expensive sport about $11,000,000 when basketball's budget was over $10,000,000------that and the just as dismal recruiting budget for football, compared to both basketball and the competition like Thug U, which had a 3 times budget with all the advantages in the world. And if they didn't ask for more of a recruiting budget to do the MOST IMPORTANT HALF of their job he should have fired all of them and hired someone that wanted to do the necessary work. I'm sure the coaches enjoyed flying second class and driving to the deep south to save money.
This has also been addressed, but you keep repeating it. The recruiting budget was discussed publicly when Joker was recruiting coordinator. The AD said he gave them the recruiting budget they asked for and if they wanted more he had no problem with increasing it. Both Brooks and Joker said they had the recruiting budget they needed.

And while his fans (and they are supposed to be football fans) have never disputed that my numbers ARE the published numbers, they still falsely claim they have debunked them all. BS.
The numbers aren't in dispute. Your back stories around them are and you offer no proof of what you say.

What extraordinary thing should he have done considering what was going on at the university?

Frankly, I hate insulting our fans, because we have great fans. That being said, some of our fans are very ignorant fans and fit the description of microwave fans.

You seem to be obsessed with the recruiting room. While i like the idea of it, I don't think it is nearly as important as the other facilities. Spending money to build some kind of recruiting room when you are planning a complete renovation of the stadium is pretty short sighted and wasteful. That's the tail wagging the dog. If the recruiting room is your big issue with the AD, you don't have much of an issue.

You need to learn to separate what you believe from reality.

I explained in detail how the AD did not have authority to build those projects and yet here you are attributing all of this to the AD. All of this is pure BS unless you can show the university wanted to spend the money on football facilities instead of academic projects and the AD said no I don't want to do that.

Are you saying that if he had built a recruiting room and had a larger recruiting budget, fans wouldn't have left? I hope you don't really believe that because that is pure fantasy.

Thanks for asking, but I thought most on here would like for the thread to end, I wouldn't mind it at all myself, a waste of time at this point. Just don't be telling me mitch is your football hero too, and this isn't the rifle team's forum, even though I do admire their work, along with the other MINOR NON REVENUE PRODUCING sports..
[/QUOTE]

lol, yeah he probably didn't have anything to do with anything, that is why he was making the big bucks and getting 20% raises. And basketball AND the minor sports suffered just as badly as football, nothing new for any of them during his DECADE of doing NOTHING extra for football,lol. Brooks started off at about $700K a year and ended at about $900K while performing miracles with the support he got for eight years before giving up. Eight years of averaging $25,000 a year raises when mitch got a huge raise one year, Brooks raises averaged less than 4% a year, AND he had to give part of his salary to Joker to keep him when Bama came sniffing around. It reminds me of Obama's last three raises for Social Security, ZERO percent, 1.5%, and one too small to calculate, THREE DOLLARS A MONTH. No raises effectively while Hilary planned to flood the country with immigrants (voters) by raising the minimum wage to a point that would have put a lot of businesses out of business.

I am saying that the "recruiting room" was an absolute atrocity with well publicized pictures for use by our competitors when a relative pittance compared to the MILLIONS of dollars lost from season tickets AND donations that resulted from his penny wise pound foolish treatment of football would have made it presentable, that "recruiting room that he did NOTHING to for about TWELVE years of his reign-------while hanging $156,000 of pictures on a wall somewhere, must have been a Rembrandt or two in there somewhere. Wish I had got that contract.

Sorry, the "recruiting room" cannot be emphasized too much, an incredible debacle.

And yeah, I forgot about the pitiful support that basketball went through during the great depression, but then they did go through a horrible period of time there also. It seems he had no trouble recognizing who had to be pleased, while he was completely ignorant of what was making the money.

But wait, wasn't that disaster when his boy BCG was in charge with his contract that was written on a scrap of paper that ended up costing us a million or two?

And where did football end up under his excellent (penny pinching) guidance?

Before the strike of course, and BEFORE the flood of money from the SEC became such a deluge he has trouble spending it all, although throwing a $12,000,000 buyout at a coach if he FAILS at his job was a pretty good start, lol.

Last edited:
lol, yeah he probably didn't have anything to do with anything, that is why he was making the big bucks and getting 20% raises. And basketball AND the minor sports suffered just as badly as football, nothing new for any of them during his DECADE of doing NOTHING extra for football. Brooks started off at about $700K a year and ended at about $900K while performing miracles with the support he got for eight years before giving up. Eight years of averaging $25,000 a year raises when mitch got a huge raise one year, Brooks raises averaged less than 4% a year, AND he had to give part of his salary to Joker to keep him when Bama came sniffing around. It reminds me of Obama's last three raises for Social Security, ZERO percent, 1.5%, and one too small to calculate, THREE DOLLARS A MONTH. No raises effectively while Hilary planned to flood the country with immigrants (voters) by raising the minimum wage to a point that would have put a lot of businesses out of business.

I am saying that the "recruiting room" was an absolute atrocity with well publicized pictures for use by our competitors when a relative pittance compared to the MILLIONS of dollars lost from season tickets AND donations that resulted from his penny wise pound foolish treatment of football would have made it presentable, that "recruiting room that he did NOTHING to for about TWELVE years of his reign-------while hanging $156,000 of pictures on a wall somewhere, must have been a Rembrandt or two in there somewhere. Wish I had got that contract.

Sorry, the "recruiting room" cannot be emphasized too much, an incredible debacle.

And yeah, I forgot about the pitiful support that basketball went through during the great depression, but then they did go through a horrible period of time there also. It seems he had no trouble recognizing who had to be pleased, while he was completely ignorant of what was making the money.

But wait, wasn't that disaster when his boy BCG was in charge with his contract that was written on a scrap of paper that ended up costing us a million or two?

And where did football end up under his excellent (penny pinching) guidance?

Before the strike of course, and BEFORE the flood of money from the SEC became such a deluge he has trouble spending it all, although throwing a $12,000,000 buyout at a coach if he FAILS at his job was a pretty good start, lol.

You ought to change your username from jauk11 to “The Thread Killer”.

Last edited:
As concise as I can make it, the entrenched powers that were in place when Mitch was hired,were the ones that controlled the budget in UK athletics. Being newly hired,not knowing all of the players or factors influencing the money flow,Mitch had to have the time to figure that part out. Until he could understand all these factors ,then he was limited in how to leverage any ability to change long standing patterns of management of the athletic program. Hence no minor sports getting any support ,other than the bare minimum,and likewise basketball having whatever it needed,and football having enough funds to buy uniforms! Might it be,that the Joker fiasco,could have been a catalyst,to incite a fan revolt,that would have resulted in financial ruin for the athletic program,and forced the entrenched powers that had been in place during the complacent,basketball only previous regimes,to relent,and allow Mitch to rescue the financial crisis by supporting the football program more like a SEC member. It’s debatable that the UK med center expansion was a consideration,but more an excuse in delayed funding of football. Mitch leveraged the fan revolt to remove the minimal funding to football, by putting these entrenched power brokers in financial corner,with the alternative of either make football competitive and fan friendly,or financial armeggdon! So may be Mitch knew he had to force the issue to crisis level,to remove the roadblocks to SEC funding for football,and eliminate the possibility of short term fix versus a long term sustained effort to make UK football,SEC quality and competitive! In conclusion,you have to understand the strategic and tactical factors,in someone coming into the UK athletic program , and disrupting the decades old dismal management of the overall program,and developing and creating a well rounded UK athletic program,which I think is happening. Don’t doubt this!

As concise as I can make it, the entrenched powers that were in place when Mitch was hired,were the ones that controlled the budget in UK athletics. Being newly hired,not knowing all of the players or factors influencing the money flow,Mitch had to have the time to figure that part out. Until he could understand all these factors ,then he was limited in how to leverage any ability to change long standing patterns of management of the athletic program. Hence no minor sports getting any support ,other than the bare minimum,and likewise basketball having whatever it needed,and football having enough funds to buy uniforms! Might it be,that the Joker fiasco,could have been a catalyst,to incite a fan revolt,that would have resulted in financial ruin for the athletic program,and forced the entrenched powers that had been in place during the complacent,basketball only previous regimes,to relent,and allow Mitch to rescue the financial crisis by supporting the football program more like a SEC member. It’s debatable that the UK med center expansion was a consideration,but more an excuse in delayed funding of football. Mitch leveraged the fan revolt to remove the minimal funding to football, by putting these entrenched power brokers in financial corner,with the alternative of either make football competitive and fan friendly,or financial armeggdon! So may be Mitch knew he had to force the issue to crisis level,to remove the roadblocks to SEC funding for football,and eliminate the possibility of short term fix versus a long term sustained effort to make UK football,SEC quality and competitive! In conclusion,you have to understand the strategic and tactical factors,in someone coming into the UK athletic program , and disrupting the decades old dismal management of the overall program,and developing and creating a well rounded UK athletic program,which I think is happening. Don’t doubt this!
Thanks. Lot of informative insight there. CM Newton was a popular guy who understood how to get along, but his legacy was Tubby, Curry, Mumme, and NCAA sanctions. Ivy was Newton’s handpicked successor, and a stooge for the entrenched boosters who gave Newton a Caribbean vacation home. This is what President Todd inherited. Todd hired Barnhart to clean everything up, get the dirty boosters out the door permanently, and build a legitimate major conference athletics department. Barnhart has built a clean, compliant department that runs competitive programs in every major and minor sport. Facilities have been renovated or replaced. Budgeting reflects UK’s current status as a thriving athletics department with all the revenue and TV benefits of SEC membership. But it’s fascinating to see how many low-information fans (including The Thread Killer) still blame Barnhart for prioritizations and budgetary decisions actually made by Newton before Barnhart even got here.

Any good manager has to think in tactical and strategic terms,or he won’t last long. Applies to most endeavors,I graduated in civil engineering from UK in 1968, and started and ran both existing and new companies,and believe me ,if you don’t have ability to think both tactically and strategically,you aren’t going to last long in the business world,much less be successful! Maybe as smart as jauk11 says he is ,he can meditate on the situation Mitch was hired into ,and figure this out,correctly!

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Any good manager has to think in tactical and strategic terms,or he won’t last long. Applies to most endeavors,I graduated in civil engineering from UK in 1968, and started and ran both existing and new companies,and believe me ,if you don’t have ability to think both tactically and strategically,you aren’t going to last long in the business world,much less be successful!
Administrators are a product of the times they inherit. No administrator ever inherits a perfect situation. But it’s absurd to blame anyone for decisions made by their predecessors. Part of the value of your posts has been that you actually understand the situation Barnhart inherited, and the tools and instructions presented to Barnhart by President Todd at that time. Under the circumstances he inherited, Barnhart has done a remarkable job. He is presiding over a much more clean, comprehensive, and fiscally sound department than he inherited from Newton and Ivy. Every single UK sport is better off now.

This is where you lost jauk11.

I noticed, ONCE AGAIN, that you didn't even try to address ANY of the valid points I made, just more insults and empty claims that they have all been addressed..

WAY too many to just ignore. But you are pretty good at the insults, although don't you think having to live in Lexington to be a real fan is a a bit of a reach?

I can't believe we still have fans going on about Mitch. IMO, most of the ire was from his comments that were relatively early in his tenure and when the big 3 sports were not doing hot. You had Hurricane Gillispie, then Cohen leaving due to no stadium, then bumping up Joker. He fixed those by getting Calipari, Henderson held serve and by all accounts Coach Ming is a grand slam, and we have Stoops grinding it out and building a solid, consistent, steady foundation for football. The growth on campus is incredible. Finances are all in order. No major NCAA scandals. Whoever is still griping, and I was one at the time but have since admitted I was wrong and that Mitch has gotten it going here, it's time to let bygones be bygones. If we were all held to account for unfortunate off the cuff remarks we made in our lives, who amongst us wouldnt be guilty?

Dammit I like Jauk and his passion. I’m damn glad we have fans like him.

I can't believe we still have fans going on about Mitch. IMO, most of the ire was from his comments that were relatively early in his tenure and when the big 3 sports were not doing hot. You had Hurricane Gillispie, then Cohen leaving due to no stadium, then bumping up Joker. He fixed those by getting Calipari, Henderson held serve and by all accounts Coach Ming is a grand slam, and we have Stoops grinding it out and building a solid, consistent, steady foundation for football. The growth on campus is incredible. Finances are all in order. No major NCAA scandals. Whoever is still griping, and I was one at the time but have since admitted I was wrong and that Mitch has gotten it going here, it's time to let bygones be bygones. If we were all held to account for unfortunate off the cuff remarks we made in our lives, who amongst us wouldnt be guilty?

His remark was after about eight years of doing absolutely nothing above the bare minimum for football. I keep asking, what did he do above the bare minimum for football in his first DECADE here. No answers yet, just mindless insults.

NO problem now, hard to even spend the FORTY MILLION plus other teams bowl money from the SEC distribution (Although the athletic department is obligated to repay about a hundred million more than the CW renovations cost, UK's present bowls are more like break even bowls for UK and the other teams might make a 100K or so) rolling in now because other SEC ADs weren't asleep at the wheel, commercializing CW brought in a lot also. Not sure how much was spent on the rifle team, now #1 in the nation I believe (congratulations, good job by members and coaches), do they have 85 free rides? How many of you post on the "Rifle Team" board?

I still maintain that if he had spent MORE on football he would have had MORE to spend on his PERSONAL goal of winning the all sports title, most good business men INVEST in their money maker. Instead of making MORE he ran football in the ground and insulted fans so that UK lost literally MILLIONS of dollars in both season ticket sales (about TWENTY THOUSAND, and the losses continue, most never to return, Sluggo is happy because although he lost long time season tickets he ended up with better ones, wonder why they were available?) AND donations.

This resurrected thread, and I didn't resurrect it, is pretty tame compared to some of the other old ones, the LONG running one where hundreds of fans declared on here that they would like to donate to UK football but would never donate a dime as long as mitch was in charge of athletics was pretty eye opening, wonder where all those posters are now? Probably waffled, like people tend to do. Great place now, millions to throw at idiotic buyout contracts (need to be banned nationwide, misuse of public funds, Slick Rick's $45M one smells to high heaven, wonder how he and jurich split it up) and other things, and there was NO choice but to do so after the strike.

Last edited:

Hey, nobody denies we ended up in a pretty good place, just think mitch had no choice, IMO he has been a very lucky man, from Brooks rescuing him when no one else wanted the job to OTHER SEC ADs creating an incredible windfall. JMO but some pretty incredible gaffes in between those two events. Do you think UK's TWO two win seasons created the SEC football frenzy?

Well, it did add a win to EVERY other SEC teams schedule that we played for those two years, so there is that.

And sometimes it is better to be lucky than good, but some of his moves have been almost criminally incompetent. Allowing the "recruiting room" fiasco to continue for the first 12 years he was here probably the worst, (when EVERYONE else knew about it) JMO, the "microwave fans" second, many more.

Nah, first mistake I ever made, lol, starving the money cow for 12 years was the worst.

And did Slick Rick take part in the orgy at Minden Hall personally, or is he just the man in charge that you hold responsible? And we may never know the answer to that question, after all, with all the surveillance cameras, police interrogation "methods", etc etc we still don't know who shot three people in front of about forty other law abiding citizens------well, maybe not the football players there, the serial armed robber, Willie serving life, the drug overdose in the former player kicked out of Auburn (can you believe that, and the MVP RB ended up there too?) the Uzi man, the-------

Well, I don't have all day, will have to cut that list short.

Last edited:
Evidently none of you all have walked into a situation,at management level,and had to get the lay of the land,the power brokers, the back stabbers, while moving forward on several fronts. All your comments just reveal your ignorance of the complacent environment in UKs athletic department,and the sclerotic attitude towards the different sports and relative performances,when Mitch arrived! You fellows must be absolutely unbelievable in your business acumen and managerial expertise,with your brilliant comments! Pitiful ,to be that unaware!

Evidently none of you all have walked into a situation,at management level,and had to get the lay of the land,the power brokers, the back stabbers, while moving forward on several fronts. All your comments just reveal your ignorance of the complacent environment in UKs athletic department,and the sclerotic attitude towards the different sports and relative performances,when Mitch arrived! You fellows must be absolutely unbelievable in your business acumen and managerial expertise,with your brilliant comments! Pitiful ,to be that unaware!
huh? Who are you talking to? And what is "sclerotic"?

I noticed, ONCE AGAIN, that you didn't even try to address ANY of the valid points I made, just more insults and empty claims that they have all been addressed..

WAY too many to just ignore. But you are pretty good at the insults, although don't you think having to live in Lexington to be a real fan is a a bit of a reach?
You haven’t addressed anything I said or responded with anything other than ramblings that have no bearing on the discussion. What have you stated that factually backs up your contentions? How have you addressed any of my responses? You ask others for facts and when they provide them you ignore them.

You haven’t addressed anything I said or responded with anything other than ramblings that have no bearing on the discussion. What have you stated that factually backs up your contentions? How have you addressed any of my responses? You ask others for facts and when they provide them you ignore them.

Sorry, and I had always considered you an intelligent poster, although always apologizing for mitch's many gaffes.

Hey, nobody denies we ended up in a pretty good place, just think mitch had no choice, IMO he has been a very lucky man, from Brooks rescuing him when no one else wanted the job to OTHER SEC ADs creating an incredible windfall. JMO but some pretty incredible gaffes in between those two events. Do you think UK's TWO two win seasons created the SEC football frenzy?

Well, it did add a win to EVERY other SEC teams schedule that we played for those two years, so there is that.

And sometimes it is better to be lucky than good, but some of his moves have been almost criminally incompetent. Allowing the "recruiting room" fiasco to continue for the first 12 years he was here probably the worst, (when EVERYONE else knew about it) JMO, the "microwave fans" second, many more.

Nah, first mistake I ever made, lol, starving the money cow for 12 years was the worst.

And did Slick Rick take part in the orgy at Minden Hall personally, or is he just the man in charge that you hold responsible? And we may never know the answer to that question, after all, with all the surveillance cameras, police interrogation "methods", etc etc we still don't know who shot three people in front of about forty other law abiding citizens------well, maybe not the football players there, the serial armed robber, Willie serving life, the drug overdose in the former player kicked out of Auburn (can you believe that, and the MVP RB ended up there too?) the Uzi man, the-------

Well, I don't have all day, will have to cut that list short.
You're criticizing Mitch for what was perceived inaction in the short term when, now at the benefit of almost two decades of data, he clearly has acted in the long term interest of both football and the Olympic sports. I just don't know how you can complain about that. You have no way of knowing he wasn't playing chess for the long term when you think he should have been playing checkers in the short term. I criticized him then, and I see now I was wrong and admit it. If Mitch were me then he would have rubbed it in to the fan base by now. Thankfully, he's not me.

Sorry, and I had always considered you an intelligent poster, although always apologizing for mitch's many gaffes.
Every AD will make bad hires. Every manager makes bad hires. It goes along with the job. We have a greed on several things over the years, but I simply don't agree with attributing the lack of investment in football to the AD. You have never addressed how he was supposed to invest in facilities in football when there was no bonding capacity available and his superiors didn't prioritize investment in football as a top priority. Retelling the same story doesn't address that fact.

huh? Who are you talking to? And what is "sclerotic"?

LOL, I agree.

And here it is, he probably looked it up before he used it, lawyers have a lot of reference books, lol.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scl.....69i57j0l5.9191j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm not sure I am smart enough to dare comment on this but I figger he might be trying to incinerate some one has a vereral disese or sumpin like at.

I agree that mitch has been pretty good lately, just wonder why it took him ten years to get started, and it probably is just a coincidence that it started AFTER losing 20,000 season ticket holders AND the huge windfall from the SEC and commercializing CW. That ten years is still costing us a ton of season ticket holders AND a lot of money, not to mention losing ten years in the arms race.

I’m a graduate civil engineer from UK ,been in private business, had to deal with situations that had my own money invested,and sclerotic, is condition when your veins are impaired to the point they don’t function properly ,and as a result ,neither does your brain! Sorta like you guys,from what I gather,from reading your comments!

Your rationalizing hasn't changed ANY of my facts, that you admit are facts, in the least. If he wasn't supposed to be guiding the athletics department then why were we paying him the big bucks, and if he had no influence then why was so much of the money FOOTBALL earned spent pursuing HIS goal of the best overall sports department? How much was the basketball program spending short changed, how about the Midnight Madness recruiting tool being as expensive as the football recruiting budget PLUS their regular recruiting budget for ONE SIXTH the players being SIXTY PERCENT more than football's recruiting budget. Like you said: "It's not the budget that has been disputed."

And if you believe that the coaches were happy with the support and facilities that were stagnant for TWELVE years then you must believe that it actually believe that it was Joker's idea to suspend Hartline for the critical football bowl for DRINKING while of age-------horrors. Of course he thought his backup actually was a four star, and he didn't need the lucrative job that coaching has become. But he was credited with it, AND I think he lost a lot of support from his players, they probably thought they were thrown under the bus. AND THEY WERE.

Say, what ever happened to the basketball player that was found passed out by his car on the highway? Not that I really think he should have been made an example of either, wish I had never gotten drunk. Not really, I was a happy drunk, came out of my shell, can't believe how backward I was before I started drinking at age 27, AFTER the Army and graduating from UK.

But then the other critics dispute ALL the FACTS I present, and claim that ALL of them have been debunked. BS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT