ADVERTISEMENT

How in the world is MB still at UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a terrible list from the perspective of of a University President. Trust me, raise money from donors and sponsors are below the top 3. Number 4 maybe. What would be your top 4?

mitch completely shut down contributions from the small football fans with his insults and policies, but then he has always been the politician chasing the big bucks guys. The impression football fans had of the KFund being his toy may have been wrong but he didn't even try to correct that impression.

By the way, I think most politicians with their law degrees should do the honorable thing and hang themselves like Hernandez did--------not all of them, just the majority.

I don't recall ANYONE bitching when Stoops was hired. When you cheer decisions when they are made and then bitch and blame when they don't work out you show yourself to be a spineless charlatan.

There were many "bitching" because he chose Stoops over other available candidates.

Reactions: Blue Decade
We had a recruiting room with lunch room tables and a pull down film projector screen for 15 of Barnharts 17 years. Let's be happy where we are, but he is mediocre at best.

Mitch Barnhart has been the best and most honorable AD for football and all of the sports program at UK in my lifetime. While Gillespie was a mistake he did not hire Mumme, nor did he hire Sutton. Gillespie was an embarrassment but we did not have to hire Cal while we were on probation! We no longer are on the cover of SI along with the words "Kentucky's Shame". Only the most stubborn peevish person would try to minimize Barnhart's every success in their hateful effort to discredit the man. To be kind, that is a sign of poor analytical skill, impertinent bombast, and pursuit of an unreasonable agenda.
Thank you!##

Just so we're clear here, Lee Todd was adamant against the hiring of John Calipari when Tubby left. Would not have any of it and would not let UK approach him at that time. He has admitted this over and over. So, the notion that Mitch and Sandy talked him out of hiring Cal is as wrong as it can possibly be. Lee Todd would not even entertain the idea of Cal in 2007. Lee, Mitch and Pratt met with Cal in Chicago (Not New Orleans) in 2009. Mitch had to convince Todd to meet with him. They met for 3 hours where Lee Todd had to be convinced that nothing would happen at UK. Once everyone was on board, they contacted the NCAA to make sure that Cal was clean before they moved forward with the hiring.
Yep

Sorry, it wasn't the least bit funny, it was devastating to our recruiters trying to convince prospective players that UK wasn't still just a basketball school.

The fact that you continue to repeat that is funny. Move on.

It's an embarrassment. He should have been fired 6 years ago. He's the worst AD in a BCS conference.
LOL! It's amazing and very sad that some of our fans actually believe this garbage, despite the litany of irrefutable evidence that Barnhart is actually 1 of the best athletics directors in the country. People who still oppose Barnhart are frozen in time, unable to accept the reality of Barnhart's success, unable to stop spinning the falsehoods, unable to understand that Barnhart will be our athletics director until he decides to retire. They are entitled to their opinions, but their credibility is shot.

I repeat, not a dam thing funny about that disgrace to a good high school program, Bishop Gorman had much better recruiting facilities.
Let's be honest about this. You live 3,000 miles from Lexington. You haven't been on campus in this century, and probably a lot longer than that. You have never even laid eyes on Kentucky's current football facilities although you enjoy pretending that you are an expert on them. You just love complaining about past facilities that no longer exist (because Barnhart replaced them). Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggercatfan
-+0

Are you going to TRY to argue that our "recruiting room" was a huge handicap and a disgrace to a STATE UNIVERSITY, trying to compete in the SEC?

No one should feel bad about where we are now, and I have said many times that I am happy with the program now, but it should have happened a lot sooner, and a lot of fans suffered a lot and gave up a lot in order to get things started.

Do you really think for a minute that mitch had any choice but to throw a lot of money at football in order to stop the defections and millions of dollars being lost because of his policies, AND there has been a TREMENDOUS influx of money into the sports department lately, NO thanks to him, mainly due to OTHER SEC teams emphasis on football..

HIGH SCHOOL Bishopo Gorman's football facilities in 2012.

Oh, by the way, they were high school National champions in 2014 AND 2015.

Don't bother to read the link, just scan through the 15 pictures of a HIGH SCHOOL's facilities.

I hate to get ill again but does anyone have a picture of the "recruiting room" we were forced to use for football since Newton found a few thousand and authorized the disgrace.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2012/aug/06/gorman-fertitta-athletic-training-las-vegas/

It's an unhealthy obsession that turns a really good poster into a lunatic insisting everybody hate on the same wavelength as he does. It is sad.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
If I recall correctly, after multiple coaches turned him down, he turned to Brooks who was an old buddy of his from Oregon State days where MB was the AD. So in my mind Brooks bailed him out in that Brooks was wanting to get back into coaching after being away from it for about 3 years. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

And for those who say that MB doesn't care for the football program, didn't he spend a number of years at Tennessee as Asst. AD. Would think that you'd have to care about football if you come from UT....and women's basketball. He does, to me, seem to spend as much or more time upgrading all the sports that nobody cares about, and that don't contribute at all to the bottom line....but that, I guess, is the new world of college PC.
Mitch was only a casual acquaintance of Rich. Mitch was AD at Oregon State when Rich was coach at Oregon. It is laughable to read these idiotic posts from so called fans who truly have no clue.

-+0

Are you going to TRY to argue that our "recruiting room" was a huge handicap and a disgrace to a STATE UNIVERSITY, trying to compete in the SEC?

No one should feel bad about where we are now, and I have said many times that I am happy with the program now, but it should have happened a lot sooner, and a lot of fans suffered a lot and gave up a lot in order to get things started.

Do you really think for a minute that mitch had any choice but to throw a lot of money at football in order to stop the defections and millions of dollars being lost because of his policies, AND there has been a TREMENDOUS influx of money into the sports department lately, NO thanks to him, mainly due to OTHER SEC teams emphasis on football..
Dear God, this post is so unbelievably wrong, the poster should try not to embarrass himself any further. But, of course, he will.

IMO, mb has done a decent job having elevated his performance to "good" with his recent focus on Football. From what I gather, he is a good man.
The issue I have with him is that he seems to be such a "straight-shooter" that he does not seem willing to push the envelope relative to winning. IMO, schools like Bama that are highly successful in Football, do what is necessary to win...but do so, for the most part, without actually stepping over the line. Over the years, they have lived in the "gray area" of compliance. If we don't do the same, we have no chance of being highly successful.

Reactions: jauk11
The AD's primary job is raising funds. I don't keep up with the stats as to how well he does in the private sector, but it would be interesting to know.

-+0

In order to do things properly and ethically which I prefer, it might take much longer.

What MB has accomplished over time is paying off in ALL UK Athletics, the time frame may not be the way you wanted it and I can understand that.

We're starting to see the rewards of a prudent methodical man.

As I see the crapstorm that is UL unfold I am thankful that UK and Mitch Barnhart has built an athletic program that any sane person without malice in their heart could be proud of.

Built on a rock, not the foolish man who builds on sand.

Jurich is the fool, and it's about to crumble.

Barnhart is building on a firm foundation, that will thrive and last.

Pretty simple, we all see this every day in peoples lives.

To be here damn near 20 years, his accomplishments are pretty low. Fundraising, etc have been subpart. He is a nice guy, does things the right way. But this is a huge University with lots of resources.
What has he done at UK in 20 years that a complete stranger couldn't have accomplished?

What happened to the first unexpected $5,000,000 bonus from the TV contract, couldn't he have at least replaced the folding chairs in the "recruiting room"? How do you justify not spending more money on the sport that cleared more than THREE times the BEST basketball program in the nation? Talk about milking the program in the emerging money sport dry while other SEC teams were investing in it------which created the TV and SEC contracts that has caused more money to be rolling in than mitch can spend on basketball and his other sports (and basketball brings in a lot of money other SEC programs don't get)-------and I probably follow ALL the other "minor" sports as much as anyone on here, devastating loss to Transfer U today, who said cheaters never prosper.

One of our best posters, loucatfan (that disappeared for a while, probably disgusted with the ignorance on here at the time) did a very good report card on mitch the other day., and he said we lost about 15,000 fans due to mitch's lack of support AND stupid comments that he never tried to explain or apologize for that I know of. He started a long running thread about replacing the long overdue scoreboards before the season ticket renewals wanting mitch to announce something about fixing them so he could keep his CROWD of tailgaters and season ticket holders together BEFORE the ordering deadline.. NOTHING announced until they were replaced at the last minute, and the money that SHOULD have been planned for for TWELVE years was borrowed from UK at the last minute-------but, funny thing, the money that couldn't be raised in the two years AFTER the system was projected to be obsolete when built (anyone still using the big clunker tube TV you were using then) was raised in like a day when the stupid faculty that athletics has GIVEN millions over the years objected to LOANING the money with interest to football. .

My objection to mitch's penny pinching on football is not that he shouldn't have built up the minor sports, it is that every other AD in the SEC recognized the emergence of football as the MONEY COW, most of it from the huge contracts and OTHER teams bowl games, and mitch would have had a LOT more money to spend on his sports if he hadn't run all those fans off and had given football SOME of the millions it had EARNED.

And Blue Decade, quit making up things about me not knowing about the vast amount of money being poured into our facilities, thank God for all the other SEC ADs that weren't asleep at the wheel so athletics has more money to spend than they know what to do with. And, to set the record straight, I have always supported Stoops and his plan even when we lost our bowl game with the five game losing streak, AND have argued with the short sighted Negative Nellies that criticize everything, I really think if it wasn't for them Stoops would have inherited more than two four star players when he started------the same number that Joker inherited when he was playing the seven SEC teams (not counting Vandy, who had ONE this century, before lying Franklin, but their one four star unjustly got shot before he got there) in his first year that AVERAGED THIRTY EIGHT four star commits the previous four classes-----not counting five stars, and that included the two Misses that everybody thought we should own-----because we had better talent, LOL. And he beat top ten USC and came withing three points of NC Auburn with Cam. NOT a good head coach apparently but neither Brooks or him had a chance to be really competitive in the SEC, Brooks hit gold with three in state four stars and some other underrated players he coached up in 07, but still ended up with a losing record in the SEC. And we went from that peak to ZERO wins in the SEC AND inexcusable OOC losses. AND we went from a fan base that sold out a 67,000 seat stadium to a program that lost 6,000 seats AND about 15,000 season ticket holders------under mitch's guidance AND primarily due to his penny pinching, IMO. But then our PR man's lack of PR skills didn't help him any either, it caused quite a stir on here..

Well, guess I shouldn't have been allowed to vote for Trump because I don't live in DC, where all the politicians and bloodsuckers in the in crowd live and where about 80% of them voted for Hilarious Hilary, surely they should have been the only ones allowed to vote.

Games over. we lost to Transfer U, things to do and people to see, I can't believe I wasted all this time talking to a wall again, LOL..

Last edited:
What happened to the first unexpected $5,000,000 bonus from the TV contract, couldn't he have at least replaced the folding chairs in the "recruiting room"? How do you justify not spending more money on the sport that cleared more than THREE times the BEST basketball program in the nation? Talk about milking the program in the emerging money sport dry while other SEC teams were investing in it------which created the TV and SEC contracts that has caused more money to be rolling in than mitch can spend on basketball and his other sports (and basketball brings in a lot of money other SEC programs don't get)-------and I probably follow ALL the other "minor" sports as much as anyone on here, devastating loss to Transfer U today, who said cheaters never prosper.

One of our best posters, loucatfan (that disappeared for a while, probably disgusted with the ignorance on here at the time) did a very good report card on mitch the other day., and he said we lost about 15,000 fans due to mitch's lack of support AND stupid comments that he never tried to explain or apologize for that I know of. He started a long running thread about replacing the long overdue scoreboards before the season ticket renewals wanting mitch to announce something about fixing them so he could keep his CROWD of tailgaters and season ticket holders together BEFORE the ordering deadline.. NOTHING announced until they were replaced at the last minute, and the money that SHOULD have been planned for for TWELVE years was borrowed from UK at the last minute-------but, funny thing, the money that couldn't be raised in the two years AFTER the system was projected to be obsolete when built (anyone still using the big clunker tube TV you were using then) was raised in like a day when the stupid faculty that athletics has GIVEN millions over the years objected to LOANING the money with interest to football. .

My objection to mitch's penny pinching on football is not that he shouldn't have built up the minor sports, it is that every other AD in the SEC recognized the emergence of football as the MONEY COW, most of it from the huge contracts and OTHER teams bowl games, and mitch would have had a LOT more money to spend on his sports if he hadn't run all those fans off and had given football SOME of the millions it had EARNED.

And Blue Decade, quit making up things about me not knowing about the vast amount of money being poured into our facilities, thank God for all the other SEC ADs that weren't asleep at the wheel so athletics has more money to spend than they know what to do with. And, to set the record straight, I have always supported Stoops and his plan even when we lost our bowl game with the five game losing streak, AND have argued with the short sighted Negative Nellies that criticize everything, I really think if it wasn't for them Stoops would have inherited more than two four star players when he started------the same number that Joker inherited when he was playing the seven SEC teams (not counting Vandy, who had ONE this century, before lying Franklin, but their one four star unjustly got shot before he got there) in his first year that AVERAGED THIRTY EIGHT four star commits the previous four classes-----not counting five stars, and that included the two Misses that everybody thought we should own-----because we had better talent, LOL. And he beat top ten USC and came withing three points of NC Auburn with Cam. NOT a good head coach apparently but neither Brooks or him had a chance to be really competitive in the SEC, Brooks hit gold with three in state four stars and some other underrated players he coached up in 07, but still ended up with a losing record in the SEC. And we went from that peak to ZERO wins in the SEC AND inexcusable OOC losses. AND we went from a fan base that sold out a 67,000 seat stadium to a program that lost 6,000 seats AND about 15,000 season ticket holders------under mitch's guidance AND primarily due to his penny pinching, IMO. But then our PR man's lack of PR skills didn't help him any.

Well, guess I shouldn't have been allowed to vote for Trump because I don't live in DC, where all the politicians and bloodsuckers in the in crowd live and where about 80% of them voted for Hilarious Hilary, surely they should have been the only ones allowed to vote.

Games over. we lost to Transfer U, things to do and people to see, I can't believe I wasted all this time talking to a wall again, LOL..
This is so outlandish, so incomprehensible that it defies comment.

This is so outlandish, so incomprehensible that it defies comment.
I started to comment but decided it is of no use. The guy is simply stuck in his own stew. The sad part is he actually thinks other posters are simply ignorant and he must inform them. He seems to enjoy his misery and does not know how to enjoy the moment.

Firstly, the AD is responsible for ALL sport, not just football and basketball. What Mitch has done facility wise is now outstanding. Kroger field, John Crop Softball stadium, New soccer complex, Football training facility, New Track, New Baseball stadium, Joe Craft center.
He has made more great coaching hires that Lancaster, Hagan and Newton combined ie. Cal, Stoops, Mitchell, Lawson, Skinner, Mingeon, Floreal, Brooks. Cohen etc.
How anyone could doubt his contribution to UK athletics is mind boggling !

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT