ADVERTISEMENT

How do you toughen up 19 yr old kids in 2 months

Why are we recruiting high school kids nowdays
You’re at UK get your pick of Juniors & Seniors to build a roster with portal transfers
He keeps saying we’re young / that’s a you problem Cal
I think you’re better off developing your own juniors and seniors when you can, right? To do that you’ve got to bring in non-OAD freshmen you project will develop into those good college players. Like maybe bring in 3-4 of those players a year. Some may transfer, some may never develop into significant contributors, but some of them from each class will likely develop into solid role players. And a few of them will develop into very good or even All-American type college players by their junior year, and maybe even the latter half of a sophomore year.

But I do agree with you that UK should be able to recruit the best of the best from the transfer portal just as well as they do high school players. And I think you still want to add an OAD or two that are unusually skilled, or you’re otherwise convinced they’re going to be a big contributor – or maybe more than a couple if they won’t disrupt chemistry due to being backups and role players as freshmen.

Reactions: Kyhoward
Jack Givens mentioned that Joe Hall would break out the football pads and the managers hit them on every shot, drive and rebound. He said it was harder in practice than the game. Would Cal try this? What other options are available?
The University pays good money for mental health coaches. It's their job to get the players tougher mentally and prepared to handle high level atmospheres and the pressure.

• Haha
Reactions: Kyhoward
You don’t you recruit tough kids off other teams
Your at Kentucky go buy the best team out there

You get more mature in physical nature as you age. These guys will only be around for a few more months. They either got it, or they don't

One simple fix is only recruit kids that play high school ball for coaches that teach toughness and will to win (and those teams have success too obviously) Places like Montverde, Oak Hill etc etc. I'll take a Keldon Johnson from Oak Hill every freaking year over an Edwards even though one was ranked like 10 spots higher in recruiting than the other.

I don’t think you can. I’ve mentioned it in several post, but they’re too soft. It’s not entirely their fault. They’re the dancing tik tok generation. Not exactly the bad boys.
If they keep it up they’ll be known as the charmin cats.

Reeves and Mitchell are 5 year guys

Theiro Ugo are 2nd year guys …Thiero is a big need in a game like USC

Ivisic is older and player in overseas

I get UK is young at spots but we have enough to be fine vs physical teams. The squad needs to learn and grow vs bully ball teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT