ADVERTISEMENT

How do you toughen up 19 yr old kids in 2 months

The difference is that Givens and James Lee became more physical as they matured year after year. They were not the same players as Freshman compared to as Seniors. Same for Robey and others. The South Carolina team had more mature players for the most part as did several other teams we have played and been challenged.

Something needs to be done. They were bumping us on every drive and our guys were shying away from contact. The blueprint is there now - foul them, be physical and get them out of their comfort zone. If teams like SC, Auburn and UT can get away with playing football in a basketball game, we have no chance until we toughen up

The difference is that Givens and James Lee became more physical as they matured year after year. They were not the same players as Freshman compared to as Seniors. Same for Robey and others. The South Carolina team had more mature players for the most part as did several other teams we have played and been challenged.
Yeah, I think UK is going to have to figure out a way to out skill and finesse teams. As you indicated, physical maturity can't be sped up by practice techniques.

Fans don’t want to hear the we are young excuse but when you have this many freshmen on a team games like last night could happen when the refs allow a physical game . The refs pretty much let both teams play physical early on and they couldn’t handle it but South Carolina could.

It doesn’t help that our freshmen look like exactly what they are. You need freshmen built like Michael Beasley etc to handle a game like last night

One of my favorite players for Uk was Jamal Magluire. (sp).
He was a tough competitor! I assure you if he was playing last night, Mack would have been limping off the court when he started his showboating.
We need our players to develop some mean streaks.
Not dirty play, just hard nosed, physical basketball.
I'm afraid we got nobody that fits that bill. Theiro is the closest thing.

Jack Givens mentioned that Joe Hall would break out the football pads and the managers hit them on every shot, drive and rebound. He said it was harder in practice than the game. Would Cal try this? What other options are available?
I've seen video of drills and yes, they do this.

Jack Givens mentioned that Joe Hall would break out the football pads and the managers hit them on every shot, drive and rebound. He said it was harder in practice than the game. Would Cal try this? What other options are available?
Abandon WHOLESALE OAD first and then Cal should dust off his "Coaching For Dummies" book and just start there.

I've seen video of drills and yes, they do this.
You think Cal is gonna put his precious 5 stars in football pads lol? I wish he would but he’s soft on them, they need to wake up and smell the roses. If they don’t they won’t go very far in March. Ask me about this team after these next couple weeks and let’s see if they improve

You think Cal is gonna put his precious 5 stars in football pads lol? I wish he would but he’s soft on them, they need to wake up and smell the roses. If they don’t they won’t go very far in March. Ask me about this team after these next couple weeks and let’s see if they improve
If he did he would be mocked on this board.

Boys will always be afraid of men, especially when they have 20-50# more muscle on them.

How do you toughen them up....stop recruiting premadonna's that think all they have to do is show up and the world will fall for them.

What you see is what you get - with what Cal brings in its one kid after another whose ambition is to get in and out of Lexington as fast as possible..it's not a sport at UK and the longer Cal is there the worse it will become

Reactions: cats#1again
Probably can’t. Soft people been soft their whole lives or they wouldn’t be soft now.

Just gotta hope we don’t run into any more teams like South Carolina

Fans don’t want to hear the we are young excuse but when you have this many freshmen on a team games like last night could happen when the refs allow a physical game . The refs pretty much let both teams play physical early on and they couldn’t handle it but South Carolina could.

It doesn’t help that our freshmen look like exactly what they are. You need freshmen built like Michael Beasley etc to handle a game like last night
There a world of difference in 18&19 year old boye going against 22 to 24 year old grown men.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
If they have a bad game, have these guys share a room at the Wildcat Lodge with them. They'll never play weak again.

this-is-my-house-beyond-scared-straight.gif
giphy.gif
bozLA4h.gif
images

I don't think it's just the physical aspect, but a mental one as well. Frustration sets in when you're getting hacked and hammered with no call while also getting whistled for every slight touch. You could see that frustration eeking in, especially for z.

So the adjustment imo is on the mental side. Noone is getting physical stronger at this point of the season. Just get guys used to playing offense as if there are no officials on the court. Because that's usually how are games get called anyway

A lot of these players on other sec teams are freshmen & sophomores as well. The difference is they don't look like they are allergic to free weights during the off season. Many of our juniors & seniors still look like skinny. (Reese for example). Man, I understand some players just have body types that are hard to put muscle on, but our lack of muscle development (minus the occasional Oscar type player) seems like a pattern.

There a world of difference in 18&19 year old boye going against 22 to 24 year old grown men.
Yeah it’s makes a difference. That’s why agree with people saying they quit last night or some calling them divas . I didn’t really see a team that quit but more of they didn’t know what to do once they were hit in the mouth and had to deal with a physical game . I’m hoping they learn from last night .

Reactions: Fox2monk
How do you toughen them up....stop recruiting premadonna's that think all they have to do is show up and the world will fall for them.

What you see is what you get - with what Cal brings in its one kid after another whose ambition is to get in and out of Lexington as fast as possible..it's not a sport at UK and the longer Cal is there the worse it will become
Who is a primadonna on this team? Losing a basketball game doesn’t make you a primadonna. You got any actual names or evidence to provide?

Can't do that because he'd not have an excuse for his lack of in game management.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I swear Cal did this early in his tenure:

One of my favorite players for Uk was Jamal Magluire. (sp).
He was a tough competitor! I assure you if he was playing last night, Mack would have been limping off the court when he started his showboating.
We need our players to develop some mean streaks.
Not dirty play, just hard nosed, physical basketball.
I'm afraid we got nobody that fits that bill. Theiro is the closest thing.
Magloire* for future reference.

Why are we recruiting high school kids nowdays
You’re at UK get your pick of Juniors & Seniors to build a roster with portal transfers
He keeps saying we’re young / that’s a you problem Cal

This is one of the many problems putting young talent out there. Compared to many seasoned vets in the SEC, they are soft. Talent alone can't overcome that. It has cost us some games.

Cal should hire Billie Gillespie as a strength and conditioning coach. He was bat crap crazy but he left Cal some pretty tough dudes. Patterson, Harrelson, Liggins & Miller were all tough as nails.

There's a difference between an excuse and an explanation and this board always assumes any sort of explanation is an excuse. This is 100% one of the downsides of using the mostly freshmen approach. Sometimes the best way to learn is to get punched in the face and realize you gotta toughen yourself up. I dont know how much a coach can really do in organized practices to prepare the team for that.

Well, boot camp has worked for a lot of guys.....

If Cal had been the coach in 78 he'd sat Givens down after scoring 10.

He'd sat Meeks when he went off against TN.

It's bball 101.....keep feeding the hot man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT