ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Take: Reed should transfer or declare

First, let me say I love Reed Shepherd. His father was one of my favorite Cats.
But, Reed's game isn't going to get any better under Calipari. If he doesn't declare for the NBA draft he should consider transferring to a program where he can learn the game from a real X's and O's coach. Dan Hurley is a excellent coach, so is Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett. Spending 6 months playing and learning from any of those guys would better prepare him for the NBA.
I hate the idea of him leaving but, Calipari isn't going to make him better or more prepared for the NBA.
rupp rafters.... checks out

Reactions: Rockfly78
Name me one top 20 recruit that came to UK under Calipari that wouldn't have ended up in the NBA anyway. He's a fraud. He was FIRED from the Nets. If he were some amazing NBA guru he would still be coaching there.

Pitino was fired by the Celtics, what is your point? He is wildly regarded as on of the best x/o coaches around.

Calipari isn't a fraud, he's just lost his way.

There is literally no way of knowing who or who wouldn't have made it to the NBA. That is a matter of opinion, not fact.

But, Reed's game isn't going to get any better under Calipari. If he doesn't declare for the NBA draft he should consider transferring to a program where he can learn the game from a real X's and O's coach. Dan Hurley is a excellent coach, so is Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett. Spending 6 months playing and learning from any of those guys would better prepare him for the NBA.
I hate the idea of him leaving but, Calipari isn't going to make him better or more prepared for the NBA.
Fake fans, hatred for Cal comes before the program.

He will be at UK until he graduates.
3 years.
He grew up surrounded by the real program. He knew how former players felt about the current situation. He was recruited hard by every school except UK. They offered him a scholarship.
He has skill sets that guys who played at UK that play in the league don’t have.
He will be here until he graduates.

Last edited:
How do you explain every other player getting better then?

No Way What GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition

I hope, year 2 Reed would be great, but it’s what cal has always don’t In the past
Yes, for kids who either don’t have someone at home with that upper-level athletic background or come from generational poverty. Neither is applicable for Wagner and Sheppard. He will use his connections to find out what teams are saying about these 2 players and share that info with them and the parents. He might even go as far to say “if it were me or my kid I would say go and get the best contract you can, but if you want to come back and improve your draft position I’d love to have you back. Your choice.”. But you won’t see something like he said to Cousins or MKG. Now I could see him saying that to Rob though.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Name me one top 20 recruit that came to UK under Calipari that wouldn't have ended up in the NBA anyway. He's a fraud. He was FIRED from the Nets. If he were some amazing NBA guru he would still be coaching there.
It’s probably very rare for a NBA player to make it because who was his college coach. No one comes to mind.
But I will say that UK has had a few that developed nicely, better than expected they would ( SGA, Quickley, PJ). Some might say even Wallace and Maxey and Herro and Booker and Ulis too.
Have also had some not develop like thought they would.

I actually think Reed returns, he knows he needs to get stronger and quicker. He can call his $$ with NIL money at UK. Enjoy college and mature
I for one hope he does return and he does need to work on those exact things. I really hope he returns just so these idiots saying he needs to transfer will look like complete fools !!

Reactions: Graham51
It will remain to be seen whether the name on his bank statements is more important to him than the name on the front of his jersey. I hope he stays, but certainly understand why he would leave if the money is simply too much to turn down. He will make a tough, thoughtful decision, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zissou87

Has him 8th . So a lot of mocks have him in the lottery . Logically speaking why do people think he will come back ? If it’s to win a championship most of you don’t even think Cal will win another championship so why would Reed turn down millions for something that most likely won’t happen ?

Maybe he does return I just don’t see how anyone can be confident at this point

Reactions: Zissou87
I have not read anything on this thread since the title started with "Hot Take". Who says it's hot besides the op? Isn't that like a self declared genious?
Maybe but Stockton was miles better of a defender than Reed is.
NBA Stockton or college freshman Stockton?

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

I actually think Reed returns, he knows he needs to get stronger and quicker. He can call his $$ with NIL money at UK. Enjoy college and mature
This is a reasonable take, IMO. He's a legacy player, loves UK and deserves to be here.
(That's all I really have to say except ... Calipari SUCKS. Sorry, couldn't help myself ... he's such a FRAUD.)

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Tyler Herro more than likely. He was a Wisconsin lean and they aren't putting players in the league.
If it was automatic than why has Bill Self failed at making at least 12/15 top 15 players good? They don't make the NBA

Cal has never had any guys make an impact in the NBA 😆

I have not read anything on this thread since the title started with "Hot Take". Who says it's hot besides the op? Isn't that like a self declared genious?

NBA Stockton or college freshman Stockton?
Just a dumb ass statement

apparently you have never listened to any of our guys that are pros and some allstars how playing for Cal prepared them for the NBA

i am not sure where to even start on the ignorance of your post

hate Cal all you want but his results on top tier NBA guards can not be argued

Not that I disagree with your post but if you watched the Arizona/Colorado game tonight, you got to see the supposed #1 overall pick go for 8 and 1 in 33 min.
If he's #1, Reed has to be in the lottery
I seen earlier this week where Cason is making a tad over 5 mil a year.
NIL at UK can't touch that.
For Sheppard, I would bet he could breath on it. Kid would be a legend and sponsors would be out the Yazoo clamoring for his endorsement.

Reed shepherd. Was he even top 20 to begin with?

At any rate, I’d say he’s gotten better as the year progressed

You need to leave. One of the most negative posters on this message board

Reactions: BigTyrone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT