ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Take: Reed should transfer or declare

Blueworld_3.0

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2008
First, let me say I love Reed Shepherd. His father was one of my favorite Cats.
But, Reed's game isn't going to get any better under Calipari. If he doesn't declare for the NBA draft he should consider transferring to a program where he can learn the game from a real X's and O's coach. Dan Hurley is a excellent coach, so is Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett. Spending 6 months playing and learning from any of those guys would better prepare him for the NBA.
I hate the idea of him leaving but, Calipari isn't going to make him better or more prepared for the NBA.

if this season tanks, and the ugliness ensues, you think Jeff would advise Reed to come back for another year, especially if there is an NBA contract up for grabs?

hard to predict, certainly the season playing out poorly would effect some NBA projections

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
But, Reed's game isn't going to get any better under Calipari. If he doesn't declare for the NBA draft he should consider transferring to a program where he can learn the game from a real X's and O's coach. Dan Hurley is a excellent coach, so is Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett. Spending 6 months playing and learning from any of those guys would better prepare him for the NBA.
I hate the idea of him leaving but, Calipari isn't going to make him better or more prepared for the NBA.
This is really knee jerk I hate this kind of crap.

Do you really want Drew here? Much of the same mediocrity
797e02aedf150ebf48d36e234afa6d11_w200.gif

Just an opinion , might be wrong , but I dont think Sheperds game in a good fit for the pro game .. who the hell he gonna guard in that league ? Maybe they dont care about D , I dont watch that circus show , ... but hopefully he makes a ton of NIL $$ and sticks around to play for a new coach . But I'm not picking him in the 1st round if I'm a NBA GM . Great college player , but gotta mature and learn how to hide his weaknesses .

I actually think Reed returns, he knows he needs to get stronger and quicker. He can call his $$ with NIL money at UK. Enjoy college and mature
Next years team will be worse than this one so what's the use if he goes his current projection of 12th.

Just an opinion , might be wrong , but I dont think Sheperds game in a good fit for the pro game .. who the hell he gonna guard in that league ? Maybe they dont care about D , I dont watch that circus show , ... but hopefully he makes a ton of NIL $$ and sticks around to play for a new coach . But I'm not picking him in the 1st round if I'm a NBA GM . Great college player , but gotta mature and learn how to hide his weaknesses .
I don't think he's a great player, yet. Great driver, great 3-point shooter, terrible defense, bad passer.

Right now, Rob is @5 and Reed @12

Even if he leaves he won't be "just another one and done". Not by a long shot.

A one and done that didn't win anything that matters. This board has trashed one and done that didn't win a national title or make a final four for years.

Who his daddy is or what state he is from doesn't change that. Unless you admit to preferential treatment for those facts and that's fine.

I actually think Reed returns, he knows he needs to get stronger and quicker. He can call his $$ with NIL money at UK. Enjoy college and mature
It won’t matter what you think if he’s a lottery pick. And he’s still being projected there.

The blocked three point shot, saving the ball, then hanging in the air for the and-1 is not a one off. He’s done similar things over and over and these plays make NBA GM’s want to take him. Wagner and Edwards, on the other hand…

Stupid post above. First of all, NBA has no interest in "X's and O's". Secondly, Cal's players (whether because or despite him) have done pretty well in the NBA. Sadly, that has not translated to college success. Which further proves what I've been saying for many years, that college basketball and NBA are 2 very different sports.
Lastly, there is a chance, hope, that UK has a new coach next year. And if so, presumably, hopefully, it would be someone very good.

Reed Sheppard has played himself into legitimate 1st round draft projection as a freshman at most 6’3 CG from being the 79th ranked recruit by 247 in his class.

While all the metrics will tell you how great Reed has played this season, we also have regressed as a team as he’s played more and started. *Not blaming Reed just a factual statement

I have no idea why he’d transfer. Cal has given him the keys to the team and his future prospects have skyrocketed from just 4 months ago.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
If reed leaves then he will have just been any other uk player. If he builds a legacy he will bankroll with his parents help on NIL like no other. Once the swell grows against cal this time it’s over so look for reed to be a top priority for a new coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT