ADVERTISEMENT

Stop The Ignorance About Drew

I didn’t want the Drew hire but I can say with proof I was on board with keeping Cal for 1 more year to make sure we got the right replacement. It is what it is now and we run with what we have.
What makes you think next year Uk would "make sure" they got the right replacement? What is the right replacement, just someone you like? Who decides what the "right" replacement is? It all depends on point of view, and everyone is different. Not everyone would be happy no matter who the hire was/is.

The Virginia coach has a title too

Maybe we should just ignore all the negatives like we are with drew

Hell, the Arkansas coach has a title …

You who bashed cal but are now okay with drew are being extremely short sighted.
Tubby has a Title. Lets bring him back too.

He can coach, he can compete, and he can recruit. At a small school, but can he do it at the biggest school?

What makes you think next year Uk would "make sure" they got the right replacement? What is the right replacement, just someone you like? Who decides what the "right" replacement is? It all depends on point of view, and everyone is different. Not everyone would be happy no matter who the hire was/is.
Well my hope was Mitch wouldn’t be here lol. I was hoping that knowing Cal likely only had one year to do something amazing that enough people would get in Barnharts ear if he was here.

I posted on fb months ago that it would be Drew because of Mitch and I just couldn’t see the fit being right. I don’t like the hire but I’m not going to be crazy like some over it.

Kentucky is and forever will be my team. My biggest concern is with Drew being the guy, he’s gonna have a leash we never knew existed because of the relationship with Mitch whereas I believe a Donovan or Hurley wouldn’t be able to suck longer than 2-3 years so we wouldn’t have another situation we just got out of.

Call me cautiously optimistic from this point forward. I also don’t believe Edgecombe or Reed will be here next year but hope I’m wrong

him winning in 2021 was a fluke....
Fluke huh ?? Teams Baylor beat in 2021 :
#5 Illinois
#15 Texas Tech
#6 Texas
#9 Kansas
#6 WVU
#12 OK State

In the tournament :
Wisconsin
#18 Nova
#10 Arkansas Elite 8
#6 Houston (by 19) in the Final 4
#1 UNDEFEATED Gonzaga (by 16) for the title

Yeap, clearly was a fluke. What a moronic post, clearly blinded by stupidity rather than guided by actual FACTS.
Anymore silly / non factual post I can break down for you ?

How many people that cried and cried wanting Cal gone are now saying "NO!" to Scott Drew and acting like it will be a horrible hire? The guy won at freaking Baylor University! He is known as an excellent X's and O's coach and possibly could bring a #3 recruiting class with him to build on! Say he convinces a couple kids to stay? Next year a pipe dream of Reed, Big Z, Thiero and Edgecombe immediately competes! How is it Mitch's fault that we didn't get Donovan or Hurley? They could have just said NO THANK YOU! And I don't blame them because not even a small majority, but a large part of our fan base are blooming idiots that are completely unreasonable. No way I would leave UConn even for 3 more million a year!

This is the dumbest post on here. Congrats we traded cow for cow.

The Virginia coach has a title too

Maybe we should just ignore all the negatives like we are with drew

Hell, the Arkansas coach has a title …

You who bashed cal but are now okay with drew are being extremely short sighted.
We didn’t want either of those coaches. Drew is a clear upgrade that will have us ready to compete year 1.

• Haha
Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
How many people that cried and cried wanting Cal gone are now saying "NO!" to Scott Drew and acting like it will be a horrible hire? The guy won at freaking Baylor University! He is known as an excellent X's and O's coach and possibly could bring a #3 recruiting class with him to build on! Say he convinces a couple kids to stay? Next year a pipe dream of Reed, Big Z, Thiero and Edgecombe immediately competes! How is it Mitch's fault that we didn't get Donovan or Hurley? They could have just said NO THANK YOU! And I don't blame them because not even a small majority, but a large part of our fan base are blooming idiots that are completely unreasonable. No way I would leave UConn even for 3 more million a year!
Some people like to whine and complain just to simply whine and complain. The majority have no clue what they are even crying about in the first place. We have some of the dumbest "fans" on the planet! This is a very good hire and was IMO the top option of coaches we had a realistic chance with. If you can win a title at Baylor...you can certainly win a title at Kentucky! Go Cats!

Reactions: KFuqua
If he can do it at the Big 12's equivalent of Vanderbilt, why couldn't he do it at Kentucky?
Because of Ky's pressure. He is a reserved and quiet guy. But maybe lights come on? And he takes the job extremely serious?

Because of Ky's pressure. He is a reserved and quiet guy. But maybe lights come on? And he takes the job extremely serious?
Have you ever even watched an interview by him? Press conference? Speech. How do you KNOW he's a reserved and quiet guy? And why does that matter?

If he can flat out coach why has he lost to a lower seeded team the first weekend of the last three tournaments?

Ya know, the same thing we ran cal out of here for.
Duly noted.
Drew has Won atleast one game last six tournaments.

He beat Arkansas to go to the final four. Arkansas fans are not going to like him LOL.

Tubby Smith also won a national title, and we ran him out of town.

I take the entire body of work, or the potential for some. Tommy Lloyd (for instance) is a super young coach, only 3 years of coaching under his belt, and has already been incredible. Results not there in March yet but he has incredible potential to grow and blossom into the best coach in basketball, especially given our resources.

At this point, Scott Drew "is what he is", which is a decent coach, tons of flameouts in March, one amazing 2-season stretch, etc.

He is no more attractive to me as a candidate than Rick Barnes would have been.

He is our next Tubby Smith in my opinion.

I HOPE I am wrong, but it's how I feel right now
Tubby won with players he did not recruit. This is such a lame comparison. Do better...

Have you ever even watched an interview by him? Press conference? Speech. How do you KNOW he's a reserved and quiet guy? And why does that matter?
Let me rephrase it. He smiles alot. He has a good spirit about him. I'm not against the hire. I just hope he has the tools to really excite us and get us reunited.

#5 Illinois
#15 Texas Tech
#6 Texas
#9 Kansas
#6 WVU
#12 OK State

In the tournament :
Wisconsin
#18 Nova
#10 Arkansas Elite 8

Yeap, clearly was a fluke. What a moronic post, clearly blinded by stupidity rather than guided by actual FACTS.
Since you’re so good with facts what’s his record against Kansas and how many Big12 tourneys has he won?

Can we also please stop with the stupid "Mitch is hiring his buddy" nonsense?

THEY ARE NOT FRIENDS like so many here decided to run with. They know each other (and are friendly) like every major coach and every major AD can be.

They are not best friends so stop pushing this silliness.
They actually became friends during the covid year. Maybe not best friends or anything close but they have been friends for certain

Edit: this is not in defense of anyone. Just noting it

#5 Illinois
#15 Texas Tech
#6 Texas
#9 Kansas
#6 WVU
#12 OK State

In the tournament :
Wisconsin
#18 Nova
#10 Arkansas Elite 8

how many of those teams had players in covid protocol when they played? probably not all but some did... and how many first weekends has he gotten past in the tournament since?

• Haha
The only way I'm "angry" about Drew is if I find out he was our first and only choice.

He clearly isn't a bad coach, but there were a handful of home run hires who should have been pursued and had the bank thrown at them before we moved on to Drew.

Reactions: ClickCat40
Just thought I’d also mention
Scott Drew was the guy who walked into Baylor after that huge scandal ..both the horrible murder then Dave Bliss violations
He had nothing when he arrived and had to fight through that stigma and build something

The man has tenacity and loyalty

Might be a nice change of pace.

I kinda like a coach with a system to recruit to and retains players.

Will welcome the no drama for awhile. Is he staying or going?

No more I haven’t seen him.
We don’t have enough healthy players to practice.
We haven’t had time to put inbounds or zones in.
Still trying to figure out how to play offense with this group
We are the youngest team in America
I should have tried a zone
We have 18 year olds playing 25 year olds
On and on

Last edited:
What if I think it's a bad hire?should I be happy with what I think is a poor choice because he's better than Cal?
I don't know what to tell you man. You're entitled to your opinion but if he's the guy then kicking and screaming about it won't do any good. There are only so many options out there and I'll take him over Shaka Smart or some shit.

We weren't going to get Hurley, Oats said no. Beyond Drew it gets real murky. I'll take my chances with Scott Drew.

So explain to me these great X and Os, and offensive style...serious question. Everyone says it, but I've never seen Baylor used as an example like Hurleys set plays, Bill Selfs High/Low, Oats analytics/3 point shot. No way he survives this job

A portion of this fanbase thinks because we are UK we can pick our next coach from anyone because we’re UK.

50 years ago that might’ve been true. Now, not so much.

We have people who think we’re entitled to hire Hurley and a big pile of cash is all that’s needed. Some people value their sanity over money, and this isn’t some easy low-pressure job.

how many of those teams had players in covid protocol when they played? probably not all but some did... and how many first weekends has he gotten past in the tournament since?
NONE. And the #1 ranked and undefeated Gonzaga, they beat the piss out of. My points was and is a FACT, the title was not a FLUKE.

Tubby won with players he did not recruit. This is such a lame comparison. Do better...

Sorry that I don't agree with you, I don't need to do better, I just don't agree with you.

Don't tell ME to do better.

The man has 3 elite eights in 20 seasons. Tell MITCH BARNHART to Do Better....

The man has one NIT and four 2nd round exits in the last 6 post seasons. Tell MITCH BARNHART to Do Better....

The man has two conference titles in 20 years. Tell MITCH BARNHART to Do Better....

The man has been abused by Bill Self and Kansas for 20 years. Tell MITCH BARNHART to Do Better....

Scott Drew reminds me of Denny Crum. Especially if you remember him and watched. Then watched all of Scott Drew's interviews on YouTube. Alot of personality similarities.

Can someone list all of Drews accomplishments as a head coach? Shouldn't take long!
well, he has won the same amount of titles as Coach Cal, with less talent, so I guess that means at worst we are staying the same lol

So explain to me these great X and Os, and offensive style...serious question. Everyone says it, but I've never seen Baylor used as an example like Hurleys set plays, Bill Selfs High/Low, Oats analytics/3 point shot. No way he survives this job
CBS Sports article pre season this year...ranked Drew over the likes of Calipari AND Hurley.

5. Scott Drew, Baylor​

Baylor finished 23-11 (11-7 Big 12), earned a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament and fell to an excellent Creighton team in the second round. That such a solid season felt like a down year speaks volumes to the caliber of program Drew has built from the ruins that existed when he arrived in 2003. Somehow, he has never won Naismith Coach of the Year. But if there were an award for best program builder of the 21st century, Drew would win in a landslide. (3)

Everyone that's associated with him says he is an excellent coach. Would I rather have Hurley? Absolutley! We cannot pick whatever coach we want though, so IF Hurley says no then I think Drew is an excellent consolation prize.

Stole this from another board. Nice factoid.
Image-4-10-24-at-12-52-PM.jpg

Tubby Smith also won a national title, and we ran him out of town.

I take the entire body of work, or the potential for some. Tommy Lloyd (for instance) is a super young coach, only 3 years of coaching under his belt, and has already been incredible. Results not there in March yet but he has incredible potential to grow and blossom into the best coach in basketball, especially given our resources.

At this point, Scott Drew "is what he is", which is a decent coach, tons of flameouts in March, one amazing 2-season stretch, etc.

He is no more attractive to me as a candidate than Rick Barnes would have been.

He is our next Tubby Smith in my opinion.

I HOPE I am wrong, but it's how I feel right now
We gave Tubby a chance first, and he won a natty title and several other very competitive teams. If we hire Drew and he gives us what Tubby did, we could do a heck of a lot worse.

Reactions: Smashcat
We gave Tubby a chance first, and he won a natty title and several other very competitive teams. If we hire Drew and he gives us what Tubby did, we could do a heck of a lot worse.

This is KENTUCKY. We should not be settling for, "Well it could always be worse".

Kansas wouldn't put up with that, neither would UNC or Duke.

You know who thinks like that? Indiana. UCLA. Louisville. Not the true greats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT