ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Young “Up-and-Coming” Coach w/Pedigree

C5matt

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2017
IF he’s up yo the challenge and would accept I’d hire Bryce Drew! I loved watching his GCU team play and watching him not yelling at his players the whole game!

Reactions: chevyman 50
Because what I consider "up and coming UK level coach", have all signed large buyouts from their current school. Nate Oats just got a $17m buyout, we'd have to pay ALA (plus Calipari's buyout).. And Oats hasn't even made a final four yet. Florida, Arizona, and other schools are all doing those now, so they don't lose their current stars to the likes of UK

Not sure about Bryce Drew specifically, but we need to hire a coach who hasn't won a title. We need somone who is still climbing the mountain - someone hungry. Whether that be now, or whenever Cal and UK part ways. No coach has ever won a title at one school and gone on to win one at another school*. UK has never hired a coach who already had a title. Coaches and players come here to become champions. This program MAKES champions.

* Rick Pitino doesn't count

Reactions: dl51344
IF he’s up yo the challenge and would accept I’d hire Bryce Drew! I loved watching his GCU team play and watching him not yelling at his players the whole game!
No way. Just look at that game last night. Horrid.

• Love
Reactions: deep3
I do not get people saying Todd Golden. Dude just had his best season yet and it was 24-12, 6th in the SEC, and a first round exit.
He's only 38 and his only other job was San Francisco, which isn't exactly a place you win big at. He took over a Florida program in bad shape and the difference between this year and last year is pretty big. His team was peaking at the right time this year until they lost their center to that leg injury.

It also seems like he can flat out coach. Nearly every time he draws something up coming out of a timeout it results in a basket.

I don’t know anything about him but I was impressed when UK played Chris Jans team.

I do not get people saying Todd Golden. Dude just had his best season yet and it was 24-12, 6th in the SEC, and a first round exit.
I get what you are saying and still unproven on a deep scale... early in the season Florida was struggling - going 4-4 early. I credit him for adjusting and putting them back on the right path winning 6 in a row and almost 7 losing to UK in a close one. Most other games they were close (Bad loss to Vandy at the end). They were trending in the right direction, making the SEC Tourney final, before losing a heavy rotation player to a horrible leg injury.

I like his approach and attitude. Not a ton of bravado - but calm and confident and seems to be satisfied with results over talk. Appears to have a well thought out plan for a game and confident in executing it. IF IF IF UK is going to take a chance on an up and comer with potential - he's one I like a lot, certainly better than Bryce Drew (I am sure there are others). UK will likely not take such a risk - but I think Florida has a good one and like how his team plays and responds to his clearly high IQ coaching.

Vandy hired the James Madison coach, not Bryce Drew
Fired not hired. He was fired by Vandy

“Drew's last two seasons with the Commodores were among the worst in program history, at the time. He was let go despite reportedly having three years remaining on his six-year contract”

Reactions: jrpross
Buzz Williams Boys. Also like Keets at NCST.
i like buzz. i’d be ok if he got a shot at the job

v8dBNM.gif

Reactions: will1976
A guy that couldn’t make it at Vandy cs the guy with multiple final fours and a Natty. Par for the course.

A guy that couldn’t make it at Vandy cs the guy with multiple final fours and a Natty. Par for the course.
Break out the Champagne!!! With the way you act on here you probably have mad dog 20/20 instead but anyway your hero is coming back.

Drew's a phenomenal recruiter. Of course he has no idea how to manage the egos that come with the top-flight talent once he's brought it in, and heaven help you if a top player gets injured, then all bets are off. Ah, and hopefully no one there's a big fan of offensive sets.

He's a perfect fit for GCU where he can just outrecruit everyone in their league. I'm morbidly curious how he'd do at Kentucky, or at Louisville or OkSt or WSU for that matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT