ADVERTISEMENT

Higgins Missed Calls Thread 2005-2017

Another flashback to our first loss of the 2016-2017 Season, UCLA at Rupp. Higgins was on the whistle.

There’s been some discussion today about the 2010 Sweet Sixteen Game vs. Cornell over on https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/just-watched-the-2010-cornell-game.234796/. We were a 1 Seed and they were a 12. I thought it would be a good time to post a few observations. We have the video in an earlier post, but will go ahead and post it here.

This is by no means complete or exhaustive (if you have an exhaustive play-by-play on this or any other game, please post it!), but here are some observations (times given are not the game clock, but the time that is on the YouTube video, the time given allows for the play to be set up):

26:26 Goal Tending called on an Orton block

34:45 Charging call

42:26 foul on Bledsoe

43:26 foul on Cousins (not called by Higgins)

46:14 John Wall 3rd foul (not called by Higgins)

48:45 Liggins’ 3rd foul - see Cal's expression

(it was a 10 point game with 9 minutes to go)

56:51 play looked like a foul, but judged out of bounds, Cornell kept possession

(8 point game with 8:30 to go)

58:26 foul on Bledsoe

1:00:13 Liggins was fouled by a Cornell player and knocked down (no call) they hit a 3

(Cornell cuts it to 6 (34-40) with 5 minutes left in the game)

1:03:19 foul called on Miller

1:05:15 (at this point, there’s 3:20 to go and it’s a 9 point game) Boogie got fouled, commentators were livid, saying that’s “gotta be intentional” – refs didn't call it (gave 2 shots no intentional). Cal was mad. Jay Bilas’ comments included “I don’t know if the referees fell asleep on that, but it’s got to be intentional . . . that is an intentional foul, there is no doubt about that . . . that’s a take down, that’s an intentional foul and there’s no question about it . . . that’s impossible to miss, impossible . . . . horrible call, that’s impossible to miss.” Frustrated, Cal says, "Come on, John!"

From this point on, lots of contact, with officials not calling every foul (the atmosphere was intense).

1:07:39 commentator relays that "Cal says, 'Somebody blow the whistle!'"

(with 1:28 to go, a 10 point game)

(9 point game with 1:18 to go)

1:15:20 Darius Miller called for a foul

(with 1:11 to go, it was a 9 point game)

Cornell played foul ball at the end and we won by 17.

This was a hard-fought game. Did it have an impact when we met West Virginia in the Elite Eight 2 days later . . . and lost? Everyone expected that team to make the Final Four, and it was heartbreaking that we didn't. Another "what if" of a Higgins-officiated game.

Last edited:
Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins did not hold back their feelings on officiating, especially the UK-UNC game, in this interview (cued to comments):

Archie Miller is Cal's cousin? Is that what Matt said? I knew they were buddies but didn't know they were cousins. Is that accurate? Also, Matt says Duke refuses to play a home and home with UK. So, there you have it. Coach K = no balls.

Edit: Pissed off all over again!!!! We weren't allowed to play in the first half of the game with UNCheat and we weren't allowed to play in the second half of the game with Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Obviously, I don't condone crossing ethical lines and was grieved that a small percentage of fans made threats towards Higgins. But I do not believe that should lead to silence where Higgins' missed calls against UK are concerned. If we don't speak up and show the truth, it will keep happening.

Here's some post-Elite Eight interviews:
http://www.3newsnow.com/sports/omaha-referee-higgins-responds-to-rude-fans

He states that fans should get over a loss within a half hour and that 9 out of 10 times a ref has a better game than the players. My impression is that it doesn't really bother him that bad or no calls are made, because it happens to everyone (I'm not saying that's how he feels, but it's the way it comes across to me). That's not good enough of an explanation for me.

JD Collins, head coordinator of officials, is wanting fans to have more empathy for refs and wanting to educate TV announcers on basketball rules , as if they are one of the problems with pointing out a handful of bad calls. What a joke.

Collins refuses to comment on how bad Higgins is and wants to turn his head on refs bias, cheating and inability. No mention of holding refs accountable for their bias, cheating and the ones that are just bad. Guys like Collins the big reason college basketball has lost some respectability. Him protecting the culprits of this while blaming everyone else, the fans, TV announcers, etc.

How does Collins keep his job with such little concern on the quality of the refs he is suppose to be leading in doing their jobs professionally with no bias? His attitude of it just not being important enough to get bent out of shape should not be tollerated in his position. Throwing it in our faces, just because it is so important to us, hits Kentucky fans harder than anyone else. As usual.

Anyone with an update on the number of arrests made in the "Higgins death threat" case? Thanks.

What a friggin joke.

An interesting read on the NCAA Tournament and how it may or may not impact draft stock: https://sports.vice.com/en_us/artic...w-the-ncaa-tournament-affects-nba-draft-stock

Obviously, in last night's draft, most who were drafted high did not advance further than what UK did in the 2017 tournament. Having 3 Lottery Picks from one team is nothing short of amazing. But I was left to wonder, had we advanced to the Final Four and Championship Game, if it would have made any impact in our guys' stock. One of those "what ifs" left after Higgins-officiated games; the moments that never happened, the games that never got played. We'll just never know.

Proud of this team! Go 'Cats! Go Big Blue!

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Here's one:

John_Higgins.gif

That call pisses me off till the end of time. If you call that, you don't deserve to be in the tournament.

Closest red. Right on it. Staring at it. Thought about it. Screw UK right? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I'll tell you this much. If he's reffing a UK game, I will not be watching. I know how that story ends.

Here's an interesting read entitled, "Has UK Missed Its Best Chance to Catch UCLA Titles" at http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article190423564.html

The twitter post linking the article reads, "Think about how agonizingly close UK came from 2011 through 2015 to making a giant leap forward on — maybe even catching — UCLA."

Agonizing. That's a good way to describe it for a true blue UK fan. But even more, considering our final games in 2005, 2011, 2015 and 2017 had a common denominator on the whistle. And even a look at the Sweet 16 of 2010--where even the commentators were unabashedly calling out the refs for their missed calls--tells you something is off (that game was unnecessarily close, we next faced WVU in the Elite 8 two days later and lost).

Yes, recent years have had quite the opportunity for UK to win more titles. All the "what ifs" of Higgins-officiated games are agonizing indeed.

Would be great if all this evidence could be all gathered up on Higgins and a good lawyer be hired to organize and present to Collins with the goal of Higgins being terminated. With a few teams being involved with his cheating and bias it would seem someone would care.

Higgins-Officiated NCAA Tournament SEC Team Games Since 2011

With the start of the SEC Tournament, I wanted to post Higgins’ record vs. SEC teams in the NCAA Tournament since 2011, according to phillyref. This is abridged from our larger post with all the NCAA Tournament wins and losses since 2011 (see: https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/...s-thread-2005-2017.232127/page-3#post-5828381 ). This Thread already has a complete history of Higgins and UK, but if anyone has overall stats for seasons or tournaments prior to 2011, please post the link.

Game winners are in bold. UK games are underlined. The SEC is 2-6 in Higgins-officiated games from 2011-2017.

4/01/17: Final Four Semi Final (West-1) Gonzaga 77-73 (South-1) South Carolina John Higgins, Doug Sirmons, Jeff Anderson

3/26/17: Elite Eight (South-2) Kentucky 73-75 (s-1) North Carolina John Higgins, Keith Kimble, Mike Reed

3/16/17: 1st (West-9) Vanderbilt 66-68 (w-8) Northwestern John Higgins, Kevin Brill, Tommy Nunez Jr.

4/04/15: Final Four Semi Final (Midwest-1) Kentucky 64-71 (West-1) Wisconsin Verne Harris, John Higgins, Doug Sirmons

4/05/14: Final Four Semi Final (East-7) Connecticut 63-53 (South-1) Florida John Higgins, Doug Sirmons, Michael Stephens

3/23/14: 2nd (Midwest-14) Mercer 63-83 (11) Tennessee Dwayne Gladden, Verne Harris, John Higgins

**NOTE: 2012 was the only year from 2010-2017 that Higgins did not officiate a Final Four or Championship Game**

3/16/12: 2nd (West-7) Florida 71-45 (10) Virginia Timothy Kitts, John Gaffney, John Higgins

4/02/11: Final Four Semi Final (3) Connecticut 56-55 (4) Kentucky Les Jones, John Higgins, Mark Whitehead

Since 2011,

Kentucky 0-3 (1 Elite Eight, 2 Final Fours)

Florida 1-1 (the 2014 Final Four loss sent UConn to battle UK in the Championship Game)

South Carolina 0-1 (Final Four)

Tennessee 1-0

Vanderbilt 0-1

The 2 wins have been in the Second Round. Higgins has officiated 4 Final Fours with SEC Teams since 2011 and the SEC Teams have lost every time.

Anyone with an update on the number of arrests made in the "Higgins death threat" case? Thanks.

What a friggin joke.
Makes me think of the government guy back in the 80s, think he might have been in the Reagan Administration. Accused of something, eventually goes to trial, is acquitted, and as he's dismissed he asks the Judge "Can you tell me where I can go to get my good name back?" He's referencing what we all know: when the story breaks, when there's bad news, it's everywhere. It's all people remember. 8 weeks or 6 months or 3 years later if you happen to be acquitted or it somehow turns out the news wasn't real in the beginning, no one notices. I used to say the news break was on the front page, and the later exculpatory news was buried at page C17 - but no one reads papers anymore. We'll say the first tweet gets 3.4 million retweets and the later correcting one only gets 175,000. heh.

When this first happened with Higgins, and there were reports of "thousands" of death threats, the local ESPN affiliate spent a full week on this. I tried to reason with them, took what I thought was a middle of the road position, they would have none of it. Later, when it turns out only 7 people were identified, and their "threats" were along the lines of "I hope you have a poopy day"......crickets. No 2 hour shows dedicated to it for 5 days. Nothing......

Reactions: morgousky
Makes me think of the government guy back in the 80s, think he might have been in the Reagan Administration. Accused of something, eventually goes to trial, is acquitted, and as he's dismissed he asks the Judge "Can you tell me where I can go to get my good name back?" He's referencing what we all know: when the story breaks, when there's bad news, it's everywhere. It's all people remember. 8 weeks or 6 months or 3 years later if you happen to be acquitted or it somehow turns out the news wasn't real in the beginning, no one notices. I used to say the news break was on the front page, and the later exculpatory news was buried at page C17 - but no one reads papers anymore. We'll say the first tweet gets 3.4 million retweets and the later correcting one only gets 175,000. heh.

When this first happened with Higgins, and there were reports of "thousands" of death threats, the local ESPN affiliate spent a full week on this. I tried to reason with them, took what I thought was a middle of the road position, they would have none of it. Later, when it turns out only 7 people were identified, and their "threats" were along the lines of "I hope you have a poopy day"......crickets. No 2 hour shows dedicated to it for 5 days. Nothing......

Can Matt Jones not counter sue for some kind of damages? Didn't Higgins lie to the FBI by saying he received death threats?

I really don't know what these answers are, aren't you a lawyer? I don't want to make @irishcat1965 jealous, I do consider him my Rafters attorney, but I'll consider your answers. Gotta be pro boner.

I've heard the quote by Jordan, "The ceiling is the roof". Has it been suggested that he was referring to Higgins, the roofer? If so, sounds like the fix was in. Like, UNC can go as far as the roofer, Higgins, can get them. Come on FBI, investigate that, please!!

CBS should have a tournament selection show announcing the refs. Have it in The Theater at MSG ala the NBA. Live audience, and let the boos rain down.

Sirmons + Higgins vs. SEC in NCAA Final Four

In reference to our SEC post above (https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/...s-thread-2005-2017.232127/page-5#post-6706700 ), it should be noted that Doug Sirmons also officiated alongside Higgins in 3 of 4 the Higgins-officiated Final Four games where an SEC Team played, and all 3 of the ones since 2014. All of these were losses:

4/01/17: Final Four Semi Final (West-1) Gonzaga 77-73 (South-1) South Carolina John Higgins, Doug Sirmons, Jeff Anderson

4/04/15: Final Four Semi Final (Midwest-1) Kentucky 64-71 (West-1) Wisconsin Verne Harris, John Higgins, Doug Sirmons

4/05/14: Final Four Semi Final (East-7) Connecticut 63-53 (South-1) Florida John Higgins, Doug Sirmons, Michael Stephens

4/02/11: Final Four Semi Final (3) Connecticut 56-55 (4) Kentucky Les Jones, John Higgins, Mark Whitehead

It is also of note that 2012 was the only year from 2010-2017 that Higgins did not officiate a Final Four or Championship Game. Doug Sirmons was not a Final Four or Championship Game official in 2012, either.

In preparing for the NCAA Tournament, I wanted to post some stats from 2009-2017 listing the Final Games for UK, Higgins, eventual Champion and their Conference.

Kentucky’s Final Game: NIT

Higgins’ Final Game: Sweet Sixteen UNC vs. Gonzaga

Winner of Game: UNC

(incidentally Higgins officiated John Calipari’s final win as the Memphis coach on March 21, 2009 vs. Maryland)

Champion: UNC

Conference: ACC

2010:

Kentucky’s Final Game: Elite Eight vs. West Virginia

Winner: West Virginia

Did Higgins Officiate? No, but he did officiate UK’s previous game, Sweet 16 vs. Cornell

Higgins’ Final Game: Final Four Semi Finals – West Virginia vs Duke

Winner: Duke

NCAA Champion: Duke

2011:

Kentucky’s Final Game: Final Four Semi Final vs. UConn

Did Higgins Officiate? Yes (with Mark Whitehead and Les Jones)

Higgins’ Final Game: See Above

Winner of Game: UConn

NCAA Champion: UConn

Conference: AAC

2012:

Kentucky’s Final Game: National Championship Game vs. Kansas

Did Higgins Officiate? No. (Verne Harris, Mike Stuart and Mark Whitehead)

Higgins’ Final Game: Elite Eight, Syracuse vs. Ohio State

Winner of Game: Ohio State

NOTE: 2012 was the only year from 2010 – 2017 that Higgins did not officiate either a Final Four or Championship game

NCAA Champion: Kentucky

Conference: SEC

2103:

Kentucky’s Final Game: NIT vs. Robert Morris

Higgins’ Final Game: National Championship Game Louisville vs. Michigan

Winner of Game/Champion: Louisville

NCAA Champion: Louisville

Conference: AAC at the time

2014:

Kentucky’s Final Game: Championship Game vs. UConn

Did Higgins Officiate? No (Doug Shows, Verne Harris, Joe DeRosa)

Higgins’ Final Game: Final Four – Florida vs. UConn (also Doug Sirmons)

Winner of Game: UConn

NCAA Champion: UConn

Conference: AAC

2015:

Kentucky’s Final Game: Final Four Semi Final vs. Wisconsin

Did Higgins Officiate? Yes (with Verne Harris and Doug Sirmons)

Higgins’ Final Game: Same

Winner of Game: Wisconsin

NCAA Champion: Duke (officiated by Pat Driscoll, Joe DeRosa, Michael Stephens)

2016:

Kentucky’s Final Game: Second Round vs. Indiana

Did Higgins Officiate? No (Jeff Andersen, Pat Driscoll, DJ Cartensen)

Higgins’ Final Game: National Championship, Villanova vs. UNC

Winner of Game/ NCAA Champion: Villanova (3 pointer buzzer beater)

Conference: Big East

2017:

Kentucky’s Final Game: Elite Eight vs. UNC

Did Higgins Officiate? Yes (with Keith Kimble and Mike Reed)

Higgins’ Final Game: Final Four, South Carolina vs. Gonzaga (with Doug Sirmons and Jeff Andersen)

Winner of Game: Gonzaga

NCAA Champion: North Carolina

[Verne Harris officiated our final games in 2014 (UConn) and 2015 (Wisconsin) and also our National Championship Game in 2012. Mark Whitehead officiated our Final Four loss in 2011 (UConn) and our Championship Win in 2012.]

No SEC team has won an Elite Eight game or higher with Higgins on the whistle, at least since 2009 (if anyone has stats before this, please post them). In addition to officiating Kentucky games, Higgins has officiated 2 Final Fours for 2 other SEC teams (Florida and South Carolina); Doug Sirmons also officiated both of these 2 games. In both games, the SEC team lost.

It should be noted that the year Kentucky won the Championship –2012—was the only year in the Calipari era that John Higgins did not officiate a game of the Final Four/Championship weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT