ADVERTISEMENT

Herro/Minutes

What if it’s only three exhibition games into the season, why is anyone concerned? Are you even going to give Cal a chance to play everybody, Herro has played just as much as anybody. Are people really going to hit the panic button this early?

It’s a joke because as soon as we recruited a white shooter there was a group laying in wait ready to cry foul about playing time just in case he hit some shots. It’s predictable and pitiful, I would have at least thought they would hold off until the actual season started.
Lol. I always thought he was Hispanic, and the “rr” in his name was rolled. At least until I saw him on tv. He’s an offensive threat, but Cal will base things on defense and effort in practice.

It’s going to be a year that it’s exciting to have subs come in.

I agree that Herro is a lot like Booker. What people tend to forget is that Booker was a TERRIBLE defensive player (and, honestly, still is in the NBA). People still want to claim we lost to Wisconsin because Booker didn't play more, despite that fact that he couldn't guard anyone on the floor when he was in the game.

The fact of the matter is, the games in the Bahamas won't be anything like the regular season. What happens when teams start isolating him and attacking him off the bounce? His reputation, based simply off of playing high caliber competition at the Hoops Summit, was that he struggled in these situations. We didn't see enough in the Bahamas to make any determination on that. If Herro shows he's capable of guarding, he'll play a ton. If he doesn't, he'll likely play far less than many on this board think he should, and there will be complaining all season.

Since we have rim protectors now, I wouldn't worry too much about that. He seems very capable of being a serviceable defender. He will only get better.

I will say this, he's earned some minutes with the way he has played in these 4 games. He has raised the bar. But the best answer is that we must wait and see what is needed. If we need scoring in a game or if it's close at the end, it's gonna tough to keep him on the bench.

Sure, but Quickley earned some minutes. Green earned some minutes. Washington earned some minutes. Hagans earned some minutes. Richards earned some minutes. Travis earned some minutes too.

Hell, I liked what little I saw of Montgomery and continue to want to see what Baker can do too.

I think Herro should be one our starters and a leading player but at this point I don't see how anyone gets 30 other than maybe Johnson just because of position scarcity and motor on D but even that seems unlikely too.

Well he’s obviously the best offensive player on the team. The real tragedy is he should be starting and playing 30 minutes. I enjoy not struggling to score. That’s when I enjoy the season.

I still remember the lamentations of the women and the gnashing of the teeth of the men from around the country as they witnessed the national nightmare of our Senior, All-American captain Tony Delk play less than 30 minutes. How much greater the tragedy of a 4 star freshman relegated to a similar fate.

I love Herro's game but damn, can you dial back the hyperbole just a hair?

After the Bahamas, Herro played his way into major minutes. IQ, PJ, NR, and KU as well. Amazingly we have Hagan and of course Green and Travis all deserving as well...we don't even know what EJ and Baker bring, Cal has to be overjoyed this early in the season. This team has that special feeling that '10, '12, and '15 had, gonna be a great one. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy!! $!

Sure, but Quickley earned some minutes. Green earned some minutes. Washington earned some minutes. Hagans earned some minutes. Richards earned some minutes. Travis earned some minutes too.

Hell, I liked what little I saw of Montgomery and continue to want to see what Baker can do too.

I think Herro should be one our starters and a leading player but at this point I don't see how anyone gets 30 other than maybe Johnson just because of position scarcity and motor on D but even that seems unlikely too.
Yes, you're right that the others earned some minutes. You won't get any disagreements from me on any of that. I feel the same way about Baker also. I'm itching to see what he can bring, but he's got to get healthy.

Having said all this, it's hard to argue with Herro's numbers on that Bahamas trip. Just look at his per game stats...
21.8mins, 17.3pts, 2.3reb, 1.75ast, 23-40 for 57.5% FGs, 8-18 for 44.4% 3FGs, 15-15 for 100% FTs

The numbers don't lie. He led the team in points, made field goals, made threes, 3fg%, FT%, and he had the highest FG% of any non-post player; and he did all this while getting only the 5th most minutes. That's why I say he has earned some minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT