ADVERTISEMENT

Herro/Minutes

Aug 12, 2018
How many minutes will Herro average this season? Based on what we've seen in the Bahamas, how many minutes should he average this season?

Reactions: FlCATFan
I think he'll get 20 minutes a game, and that's a tragedy. I think based on what he's done so far, and it's VERY early, he should get 30 minutes a game. Lots of kids to showcase, and lots of kids to keep happy, and lots of kids to help achieve their dream. Based on that, I just don't see how he gets more than 20 min a game no matter how great he is.

It's a helluva predicament for Cal and I don't envy that responsibility. On the one hand, Herro clearly displays that he is a scoring threat from all over the court. One can only presume that with more minutes comes more points and thus more wins.

However, on the other hand, if Herro plays more minutes that's less minutes for another kid and thus less exposure to be seen and scouted for the NBA. What's more important? That's in Cal's hands. And he'll have his hands full juggling these minutes as to what is best for the team compared to what is best for the individual as it relates to dispersing minutes. What will he do?

Last edited:
20-25 will probably be standard for most guys on this team as deep as we are. I’m hoping he’s around the 25-30 minute mark myself. That’ll mean he’s continuously knocking it down at a high rate.

The tragedy is not enjoying the team/season and instead being concerned about one players minutes, ultimately leading to season long whining and unnecessary handwringing. No? Well we are three exhibition games in and anybody could honestly see this coming as soon as Herro signed if he showed any ability at all. I hope he dominates this year but I don’t seem to care at all about his minutes, why should I be if the team is doing well?

The tragedy is not enjoying the team/season and instead being concerned about one players minutes, ultimately leading to season long whining and unnecessary handwringing. No? Well we are three exhibition games in and anybody could honestly see this coming as soon as Herro signed if he showed any ability at all. I hope he dominates this year but I don’t seem to care at all about his minutes, why should I be if the team is doing well?

Well he’s obviously the best offensive player on the team. The real tragedy is he should be starting and playing 30 minutes. I enjoy not struggling to score. That’s when I enjoy the season.

I think he will get 25-26. No one on this team is going to play 30+. Everyone is too good like in 2015.

Herro is one of the best players on the floor and he’s probably a centerpiece for a title run. When he starts popping the 3’s he must be out there most of the game period.

He's the kind of guy that can make 6 three's a game when on. I see him as the only guy on our team that can take a game over regardless of the d. Agree with you that he indeed is the centerpiece. Other guys believe they can make a shot, he knows he can. Play him often and play him 28 minutes a game.

He's the kind of guy that can make 6 three's a game when on. I see him as the only guy on our team that can take a game over regardless of the d. Agree with you that he indeed is the centerpiece. Other guys believe they can make a shot, he knows he can. Play him often and play him 28 minutes a game.

I’m sure he will. Cal ain’t dumb.

I have heard Coach Rupp quoted, " Keep your top 7-8 happy with playing time, and that you could not keep all players happy".

I have heard Coach Rupp quoted, " Keep your top 7-8 happy with playing time, and that you could not keep all players happy".

Exactly. The thing is it seems to me we have 9 really good players. That's why I think all will play between 15-25-ish minutes a game.

Reactions: Jazzycat

What if the team is doing well due to Herro getting more minutes?

i think out of the guards Herro will probably get the most minutes because he can also play SF when KJ is on the bench
as others have said 22-26 minutes

20-25 seems about right. NOBODY on this team will ever be tired. Everyone will be fresh and playing all out.

What if the team is doing well due to Herro getting more minutes?
What if it’s only three exhibition games into the season, why is anyone concerned? Are you even going to give Cal a chance to play everybody, Herro has played just as much as anybody. Are people really going to hit the panic button this early?

It’s a joke because as soon as we recruited a white shooter there was a group laying in wait ready to cry foul about playing time just in case he hit some shots. It’s predictable and pitiful, I would have at least thought they would hold off until the actual season started.

Reactions: GonzoCat90 and JC43
Not only that but the thread was started just to troll and backed up by a guy with a football as an avatar. I wished we had a good fb program but if there’s a silver lining to being garbage for decades it’s to keep some fans in misery.

Herro is one of the best players on the floor and he’s probably a centerpiece for a title run. When he starts popping the 3’s he must be out there most of the game period.

But will he? Herro playing more minutes requires another high profile, NBA-aspiring player to play less minutes. Cal has his hands full in juggling the priorities of the team in comparison to the best interests of the individual players.

The appeal of Cal and UK is exposure, and the promise that poor play or mistakes on the court won't cost you minutes. It's why Cal keeps getting top players; they know they will have the leash to play through mistakes and eventually reach their full potential.

But what if a player (a Herro or Johnson) emerges as just a dominant offensive player that has the potential to carry us to a title? Don't you have to make sure they're getting more minutes than the rest to give yourself the best chance to win?

I don't envy Cal's predicament here (although most coaches would kill to have this problem). Cal has to juggle what is best for the team vs what is best for each individual player. And it's an incredibly difficult decision for him. On the one hand, you play Herro 28+ minutes a game and if he's on he's likely to drop 30 points and lead your team to victory. But it's to the detriment of another talented player, with NBA-aspirations, as their exposure is lessened due to lesser minutes. Tough thing to juggle.

What if it’s only three exhibition games into the season, why is anyone concerned? Are you even going to give Cal a chance to play everybody, Herro has played just as much as anybody. Are people really going to hit the panic button this early?

It’s a joke because as soon as we recruited a white shooter there was a group laying in wait ready to cry foul about playing time just in case he hit some shots. It’s predictable and pitiful, I would have at least thought they would hold off until the actual season started.

Switch Herro with Johnson. Ah-oh.....now what will you do without your race-baiting crap about Herro being white and that's where this discussion comes from? What's next? White privilege? Gtfo of here with that crap.

The debate has nothing to do with the race of the player but rather how will minutes be dispersed to players who clearly excel over other players? What will Cal base it on; what's best for the team, or the individual?

That is the way it used to be.....Cal seems to be able to keep his players happy with their playing time. Call seems to find the kids with the right attitude....

But will he? Herro playing more minutes requires another high profile, NBA-aspiring player to play less minutes. Cal has his hands full in juggling the priorities of the team in comparison to the best interests of the individual players.

The appeal of Cal and UK is exposure, and the promise that poor play or mistakes on the court won't cost you minutes. It's why Cal keeps getting top players; they know they will have the leash to play through mistakes and eventually reach their full potential.

But what if a player (a Herro or Johnson) emerges as just a dominant offensive player that has the potential to carry us to a title? Don't you have to make sure they're getting more minutes than the rest to give yourself the best chance to win?

I don't envy Cal's predicament here (although most coaches would kill to have this problem). Cal has to juggle what is best for the team vs what is best for each individual player. And it's an incredibly difficult decision for him. On the one hand, you play Herro 28+ minutes a game and if he's on he's likely to drop 30 points and lead your team to victory. But it's to the detriment of another talented player, with NBA-aspirations, as their exposure is lessened due to lesser minutes. Tough thing to juggle.
Not that tough because Herro has Immense NBA potential. At worst he's Kyle Korver who was a top 20 pick. He will get 20 25 mpg like everybody. Cal already proved in 2015 the NBA looks at per stats not so much minutes.

Switch Herro with Johnson. Ah-oh.....now what will you do without your race-baiting crap about Herro being white and that's where this discussion comes from? What's next? White privilege? Gtfo of here with that crap.

The debate has nothing to do with the race of the player but rather how will minutes be dispersed to players who clearly excel over other players? What will Cal base it on; what's best for the team, or the individual?
It’s 100% about race but maybe you can’t see it, hopefully he gets to play 50 minutes a game to placate the outrage over his lack of playing time.

Troll is well fed.
Yep.

5 post wonder on here to stir shit for no reason whatsoever, given that Herro played just about as much as anyone else on the UK roster in the 4 exhibition games. Not like he was getting 10 minutes while all the other guards were near 30.

The idiot mythology that Cal won't play certain players more because he's trying to keep higher-rated recruits happy is asinine to begin with, given the actual history, and it's especially moronic when it's being talked about in August.

You’re definitely a troll but to anyone who believes you can make the statement that Herro will excel over the likes of Quade, Johnson, Quickley, Washington etc after these games is lost.

Reactions: Aike
Calipari has a track record of playing those who are playing THE BEST during each game. The kids who are defending well, hustling, rebounding and taking good shots will play.

That will determine the number of minutes played by each player.

I think he'll get 20 minutes a game, and that's a tragedy. I think based on what he's done so far, and it's VERY early, he should get 30 minutes a game. Lots of kids to showcase, and lots of kids to keep happy, and lots of kids to help achieve their dream. Based on that, I just don't see how he gets more than 20 min a game no matter how great he is.

It's a helluva predicament for Cal and I don't envy that responsibility. On the one hand, Herro clearly displays that he is a scoring threat from all over the court. One can only presume that with more minutes comes more points and thus more wins.

However, on the other hand, if Herro plays more minutes that's less minutes for another kid and thus less exposure to be seen and scouted for the NBA. What's more important? That's in Cal's hands. And he'll have his hands full juggling these minutes as to what is best for the team compared to what is best for the individual as it relates to dispersing minutes. What will he do?

We saw how Booker did, minutes won’t matter if Herro plays well.

Reactions: awf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT