ADVERTISEMENT

Herro/Minutes

Well he’s obviously the best offensive player on the team. The real tragedy is he should be starting and playing 30 minutes. I enjoy not struggling to score. That’s when I enjoy the season.

Tragedy? If he plays less minutes then what you think he should, it’s a tragedy. I hope you are not over 20.

Last edited:
Reactions: awf
I hope he plays 30 ish. He is the type of player that I love to watch that we truly don’t have often. Unselfish, appears to be having a blast and loves his teammates, and to top it off flat fills it up out there. He is the type of scorer that many of our teams have missed over the years. At the end of the day you need a guy that can hit shots

What if it’s only three exhibition games into the season, why is anyone concerned? Are you even going to give Cal a chance to play everybody, Herro has played just as much as anybody. Are people really going to hit the panic button this early?

It’s a joke because as soon as we recruited a white shooter there was a group laying in wait ready to cry foul about playing time just in case he hit some shots. It’s predictable and pitiful, I would have at least thought they would hold off until the actual season started.

Bull. This was all pre conceived by “White Goodman’s” like you who were ready to show the world how not racist you are by slamming Herro day one and pretending he’s not one of the most important guys out there.

These white apologist are ridiculous. Sack up and quit being a pansy.

I like Herro because he’s a guy who is fearless and he shoots the rock. He’s more athletic than I thought and must be respected. The fact that he’s white might be a neat oddity for some, but it’s harmless and really, a backseat to the ultimate goal.

You’re definitely a troll but to anyone who believes you can make the statement that Herro will excel over the likes of Quade, Johnson, Quickley, Washington etc after these games is lost.

You don’t believe Herro can be a more important piece than quade or Quickly? I absolutely believe he is right now. How am I lost?

Johnson? Ehhhhhh

Man I really like Johnson. Probably my favorite player on the team right now.

Bull. This was all pre conceived by “White Goodman’s” like you who were ready to show the world how not racist you are by slamming Herro day one and pretending he’s not one of the most important guys out there.

These white apologist are ridiculous. Sack up and quit being a pansy.

I like Herro because he’s a guy who is fearless and he shoots the rock. He’s more athletic than I thought and must be respected. The fact that he’s white might be a beat oddity for some, but it’s harmless and really, a backseat to the ultimate goal.
Spot on. The white pussies who bend over and apologize for being white are the worst. Be proud of who you are, no matter your ethnicity.

I would say Herro will get plenty of clock. I haven't had a chance to watch the games. But Cal sometimes favors defense and intagibles over scoring. As long as he can defend his position, make entry passes, shoot a high percentage, etc. He will get his fair share.

You don’t believe Herro can be a more important piece than quade or Quickly? I absolutely believe he is right now. How am I lost?

Johnson? Ehhhhhh

No chance not from what I saw. Those teams couldn’t score on Brad. Excel is a strong word.

Quickley had an absurd assist:turnover rate. He played reallly, really well. He also knocked down the open shots. Quade was the best floor general and is the only veteran guard on the team.

Herro is great- imo definitely a guy more suited off the bench for instant offense. He’s a fearless player and the type you want on your team.

I do enjoy seeing a white kid do well in a black dominated sport. I also liked seeing Pele do well way back when he played in a mostly white dominated sport.

I'll also be cheering for Mac McClung to do well at Georgetown and probably the only white kid on the team. This kid broke Allen Iverson's high school record for most points scored in Virginia.

I’m not about to make any conclusions about pecking order based on 4 scrimmage games in late summer.

And why do fans always focus on the offensive end when assessing players? Shouldn’t defense count for something? If anyone talked about defense in this thread, I skimmed over it....

Johnson? Ehhhhhh

Of course you do.

I think he'll get 20 minutes a game, and that's a tragedy. I think based on what he's done so far, and it's VERY early, he should get 30 minutes a game. Lots of kids to showcase, and lots of kids to keep happy, and lots of kids to help achieve their dream. Based on that, I just don't see how he gets more than 20 min a game no matter how great he is.

It's a helluva predicament for Cal and I don't envy that responsibility. On the one hand, Herro clearly displays that he is a scoring threat from all over the court. One can only presume that with more minutes comes more points and thus more wins.

However, on the other hand, if Herro plays more minutes that's less minutes for another kid and thus less exposure to be seen and scouted for the NBA. What's more important? That's in Cal's hands. And he'll have his hands full juggling these minutes as to what is best for the team compared to what is best for the individual as it relates to dispersing minutes. What will he do?
When has Cal ever not played the guy who should be playing? People say this all the time but never have a good example of it happening previously.

But will he? Herro playing more minutes requires another high profile, NBA-aspiring player to play less minutes. Cal has his hands full in juggling the priorities of the team in comparison to the best interests of the individual players.

The appeal of Cal and UK is exposure, and the promise that poor play or mistakes on the court won't cost you minutes. It's why Cal keeps getting top players; they know they will have the leash to play through mistakes and eventually reach their full potential.

But what if a player (a Herro or Johnson) emerges as just a dominant offensive player that has the potential to carry us to a title? Don't you have to make sure they're getting more minutes than the rest to give yourself the best chance to win?

I don't envy Cal's predicament here (although most coaches would kill to have this problem). Cal has to juggle what is best for the team vs what is best for each individual player. And it's an incredibly difficult decision for him. On the one hand, you play Herro 28+ minutes a game and if he's on he's likely to drop 30 points and lead your team to victory. But it's to the detriment of another talented player, with NBA-aspirations, as their exposure is lessened due to lesser minutes. Tough thing to juggle.

Everybody eats! Period If you are playing well, Cal will play you. He's proven that he can handle this stuff, time and time again. I don't worry bout it anymore myself. He'll figure it out.

I will say this, he's earned some minutes with the way he has played in these 4 games. He has raised the bar. But the best answer is that we must wait and see what is needed. If we need scoring in a game or if it's close at the end, it's gonna tough to keep him on the bench.

Calipari has a track record of playing those who are playing THE BEST during each game. The kids who are defending well, hustling, rebounding and taking good shots will play.

That will determine the number of minutes played by each player.

I think that's reasonable. But for God's sake, can't we keep this board clean and free of race-baiting?

Reactions: CatfanMike47
He’s our Divenczio spelling I’m sorry! He came off the bench and Gabe them a scoring spark and it certainly didn’t hurt him he got drafted first round!

You’re definitely a troll but to anyone who believes you can make the statement that Herro will excel over the likes of Quade, Johnson, Quickley, Washington etc after these games is lost.
It's "these" games that makes me believe he has the talent to be the best player on the team.

It's "these" games that makes me believe he has the talent to be the best player on the team.

Bingo. I think people who understand basketball and understand not just scoring, but passing, moving without the ball, spacing, creating a shot for yourself, creating a shot for your teammates, etc, understand that Herro excels in those areas. The commentators couldn't stop raving about him.

I don't care if it's 4 games, 4 practices, or 4 mins......if a player has "it", you can tell. Herro has it.

The team is loaded with talent. There were certainly more guys that I was impressed with than there were that I was not. But there are only so many minutes to go around. I'm anxious to see if Cal puts the team above the individual when deciding how to best disperse those minutes. Lots at stake, careers and championships. Tough job.

Reactions: UKrazycat2 and awf
I will say this, he's earned some minutes with the way he has played in these 4 games. He has raised the bar. But the best answer is that we must wait and see what is needed. If we need scoring in a game or if it's close at the end, it's gonna tough to keep him on the bench.
You can't keep him on the bench in a close game!!! He creates his own shot better than anyone on this team, shoots it better and will hit his freethrows... Sometimes it's not all about defense when a guy is gifted offensively like Herro is..

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Not that tough because Herro has Immense NBA potential. At worst he's Kyle Korver who was a top 20 pick. He will get 20 25 mpg like everybody. Cal already proved in 2015 the NBA looks at per stats not so much minutes.
Korver does not the handles, mid range game or jumping ability so please stop with Korver comparisons for Herro.

Reactions: UK2005_24
This is spot on. The racism against white players on this board would not be tolerated if they displayed the same attitudes towards black players.
uh.. that isn't racism. i think you need to google the word, buddy!

It's crazy how the White guy is always compared with another white guy.lol Herro is more of a Devin Booker!

I agree that Herro is a lot like Booker. What people tend to forget is that Booker was a TERRIBLE defensive player (and, honestly, still is in the NBA). People still want to claim we lost to Wisconsin because Booker didn't play more, despite that fact that he couldn't guard anyone on the floor when he was in the game.

The fact of the matter is, the games in the Bahamas won't be anything like the regular season. What happens when teams start isolating him and attacking him off the bounce? His reputation, based simply off of playing high caliber competition at the Hoops Summit, was that he struggled in these situations. We didn't see enough in the Bahamas to make any determination on that. If Herro shows he's capable of guarding, he'll play a ton. If he doesn't, he'll likely play far less than many on this board think he should, and there will be complaining all season.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
You can't keep him on the bench in a close game!!! He creates his own shot better than anyone on this team, shoots it better and will hit his freethrows... Sometimes it's not all about defense when a guy is gifted offensively like Herro is..
Yes, Herro is not a great defender, yet, though I do see effort from him that could translate into his becoming a decent defender. Still, I doubt he will ever be elite. Having said that, I've heard Calipari say it many times when it comes playing time. It's about the numbers. "I can't leave you on the floor if you're not contributing something. If you can't give me much offense, you better be locking someone down defensively. If you aren't making shots, you better grab a rebound. You may make some shots, but if the opposition is scoring on you every time down the floor, I can't leave you in." (that's not a direct quote, but it's the jist of what I've heard him say)

So, when it comes to Herro, his offense is so good that you can overlook a few errors on defense. His 3pt shooting is gonna be the best on the team, and that was expected. But he's so much more than just a spot-up shooter. He can create shots for himself. He's great at that step-back jumper and the fade-away jumper and curling off a screen. He did all of that in the Bahamas. I also noticed he's excellent at making the entry pass to the post and cutting to get open if needed. He can run the point. He can get some assists. He can also grab some rebounds. The more you look at his numbers, the more you have to say you want him on the floor.

Reactions: cdbearde
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT