ADVERTISEMENT

Here's What Cal Should Do....

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
Since we're stuck with Cal, here is what he should do (it's so simple).

Fire 2 of the assistants (probably Chin and Bruiser).

And hire 2 assistants from Hurley's staff at UCONN. Probably Luke Murray and Kimani Young.

Throw so much money at them that they cannot say no. I'm talking well over $1 Mil/year EACH.

Mitch needs to put his money where his mouth is- you are sticking with Cal, you better give him an unlimited assistant coach budget to go and get a couple guys who can make an immediate impact and cover up Cal's deficiencies.

Some other staffs I wouldn't mind poaching from if we couldn't get both of the guys from UCONN:

Arizona
Houston
Iowa State
Gonzaga

Reactions: EliteBlue
I was hoping you would just say... 1) Try coaching (2) play best players ... be a lot cheaper than throwing more money in the quicksand

So no changes to the staff? Just play the best players and all of our problems are solved? Sweet! Reed sure got plenty of time against Oakland.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Didn’t we already do this “change the staff” dog and pony show? Nothing matters as long as Cal is the head man

Okay....well he is going to be the head man next year. That is just a fact and you nor I can do anything about it.

So just don't change anything? Make zero changes? Don't even try? Just phone it in?

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
You still fail to accept the fact the man is a narcissistic know it all. It wouldn’t matter if he had Rupp, Naismith, Coach K, Phil Jackson, and Jay Wright as assistants he wouldn’t do anything differently than he is. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. But he’s an idiot.

Staff won't matter. Cal will not change a single thing he does personally. His priorities and goals are set in stone. He won't deviate from that.

This is the same thing we've seen with Stoops and the football program. You can cycle as many OC's in here as you want but he's still going to grind games out and sit on a touchdown lead.

Reactions: ukwazoo

And hire 2 assistants from Hurley's staff at UCONN. Probably Luke Murray and Kimani Young.

Throw so much money at them that they cannot say no. I'm talking well over $1 Mil/year EACH.

Mitch needs to put his money where his mouth is- you are sticking with Cal, you better give him an unlimited assistant coach budget to go and get a couple guys who can make an immediate impact and cover up Cal's deficiencies.

Some other staffs I wouldn't mind poaching from if we couldn't get both of the guys from UCONN:

Arizona
Houston
Iowa State
Gonzaga
IMO changing assistant coaches is akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Mitch was surprised and not prepared when the boosters came to him and said they had the money IF he wanted to make the move . He’s got 12 months to prepare . It’ll be different next year. Cal is a lame duck coach.

Cal also needs

Arizona
Houston
Iowa State
Gonzaga
to announce we are no longer a one and done factory . Recruit the best upper class men and returnees he can and play them. If the incoming freshmen don’t like earning their position then let them decommitt

Arizona
Houston
Iowa State
Gonzaga
Maybe these new assistant coaches could watch some film and fill in the HC on upcoming college opponents...so long as the UK HC is not too busy with his pre-NBA-player-agent duties.
GBB!

Okay....well he is going to be the head man next year. That is just a fact and you nor I can do anything about it.

So just don't change anything? Make zero changes? Don't even try? Just phone it in?

I think he’s saying we can pretend all we want but it’s not happening. They tried the coaching shake up already.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Maybe these new assistant coaches could watch some film and fill in the HC on upcoming college opponents...so long as the UK HC is not too busy with his pre-NBA-player-agent duties.
GBB!
Well he had to debut his new podcast that week too . Sometimes I don’t think you people realize how busy Cal is. He does more than just watch “Little House on the Prairie “ and pet his dogs .

Reactions: NavyCat88
Need an experienced assistant that has some head coaching experience that gets game prep in terms of studying film, knows xs and os that can see when things go wrong during the game and make adjustments. I think the biggest issue with Cal getting in his own way. Too stubborn and won't listen to anyone else that can help him with his shortcomings as a head coach.

Reactions: RunninRichie
IMO changing assistant coaches is akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Mitch was surprised and not prepared when the boosters came to him and said they had the money IF he wanted to make the move . He’s got 12 months to prepare . It’ll be different next year. Cal is a lame duck coach.
I just hope the boosters with the money haven’t spent it / lost it / etc ‘bout this time next year….. I have a feeling we’re gonna need that cash.

Reactions: yoshukai
I just hope the boosters with the money haven’t spent it / lost it / etc ‘bout this time next year….. I have a feeling we’re gonna need that cash.
It’ll be a little bit less next year. I know they don’t want to spend that kind of money, but they’ve had it with Cal too .

Didn’t we already do this “change the staff” dog and pony show? Nothing matters as long as Cal is the head man
They do the same thing in UK football. Stoops changes offensive and defensive coordinators as often as some people change their underwear. Almost always guys that have been successful and innovative elsewhere, and then they get here and somehow they always are exactly like all Stoops previous coordinators, all using stall ball on offense and passive on defense. I just can't figure out why it works out that way...

Only way it works (1) CAL gets busy putting together a complete roster with depth and experience from the transfer portal and (2) gives control to the assistants to run everything else including the games.

Reactions: NociHTTP
People need to stop coming up with strategies. None of them will work with Cal as the coach.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Yes if we can get a chief of staff type, raise the highest NIL funds, get an offensive guru, a defensive guru, a shooting coach, a top sports psychologist, a new practice court, better dorms, an elite S&C coach, Cal’s own assistant AD, bigger private plane….we could finally give Cal the support to coach the team up again.

Reactions: mailman85 and know1
Cal's already literally seen every implementation that has been asked from fans who think we're always just a "tweak" away from returning to the glory days.

1. Tried blended rosters of old/young players (2019, 2022, 2023, 2024).
2. Hired an offensive guru in Welch (2023).
3. Brought back Antigua to upgrade recruiting (2021).

There's nothing left at this point. He literally has tried it every single way, and he still loses in the first weekend.

Typically, I'd love the idea of swindling a pair of UConn coaches, but the issue is that Cal would likely not listen to them, and they wouldn't be able to help with the portal because Cal prioritizes freshmen-led teams over rosters that are upperclassmen heavy.

Cal could add Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, and Greg Popovich to the bench and he wouldn't listen to them either.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest

Until Cal's gone, I'm afraid we don't have much of a choice. He's never returning this program to the Final Four as long as he prioritizes draft nights and green rooms over winning a national championship.

Last edited:
Leave. He was hired to win games as his top priority which we know it’s not his main objective. In my book he’s a liar and taking money he is not deserving or earning.

Rescind the offers for any freshman that is a one and done . Beg all players to stay and apologize to them for not playing the best players. Commit that in future he will play best players . Recruit best he can get from the portal .
Promise UK fans that if he does not win at least one game in SEC tourney and three games in NCAA that he will resign with no additional payments being necessary

We had a very talented team this year. Probably top 5 in talent and we couldn't even beat a team that lost to Northern Ky twice.

Ky basketball is a joke and it doesn't matter what kind of roster ky builds or who they bring in. Cal knows he isn't getting it done and if he cared as much as he says he'd resign.

At least I'm so used to Kys lack of post season success that I've actually enjoyed the games this year. March Madness has always been so fun to watch.

Cal's already literally seen every implementation that has been asked from fans who think we're always just a "tweak" away from returning to the glory days.

1. Tried blended rosters of old/young players (2019, 2022, 2023, 2024).
2. Hired an offensive guru in Welch (2023). ….

In 19 we were 1 play, or more accurately 1 call away from a F4. I say 1 call because the refs swallowed their whistles on Auburn the last 10 minutes of that E8 game that went to OT.

And in 22, that team played as one of the top 3 teams in the country the middle 1/3 of the season, despite a very flawed player at one position. But then injuries to 2 of our 3 best players ended our chances, capped by the worst loss (& embarrassment) in our tournament history. That team with any different top 5 transfer portal PG, and no Tyty or Grady injuries was exactly what we needed.

I’ll give you that 23 was a failure.

And 24 wasn’t all that blended. 2 super seniors, and 2 Sophs who barely played as FR. Only 2 experienced players does not equal a blended young/old roster.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT