ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s where I am with cal

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
This season has been horrendous for the most part compared to our preseason feeling, polls, etc. We could very well still end up outside the tournament for which I cannot support. I’m not going to drop my expectations that just leads to this coach squatting in the position for however long.

If cal can get us firmly into the tournament, not limping or backing our way in rather playing our way to know by the last 2 weeks we are on. If cal can win a couple ncaaT games. I’ll be on board for one more season with the guy given the class he’s brought in. I’ll bring some excitement but my expectations will be through the roof.

One more season means TITLE oR BUST. We win a title and cal can stay a little longer. We lose in ff no way. It’s all or nothing. To be granted a mulligan for the past 3 trainwreck cal has to deliver a title. This year or next

If we do not get in or get bounced first round this year all bets are off he can take his class elsewhere.

Where are you at this point?

This season has been horrendous for the most part compared to our preseason feeling, polls, etc. We could very well still end up outside the tournament for which I cannot support. I’m not going to drop my expectations that just leads to this coach squatting in the position for however long.

If cal can get us firmly into the tournament, not limping or backing our way in rather playing our way to know by the last 2 weeks we are on. If cal can win a couple ncaaT games. I’ll be on board for one more season with the guy given the class he’s brought in. I’ll bring some excitement but my expectations will be through the roof.

One more season means TITLE oR BUST. We win a title and cal can stay a little longer. We lose in ff no way. It’s all or nothing. To be granted a mulligan for the past 3 trainwreck cal has to deliver a title. This year or next

If we do not get in or get bounced first round this year all bets are off he can take his class elsewhere.

Please. Cal really needs you on board. Without you on board the season is lost. Please consider getting on board before this ship sinks.

Cal has consistently over the past several years demonstrated that he isn't really committed to winning. Cal didn't really start preparing his team to play this year until he was called out by some of his peers. If that is necessary for him to put in the work that is expected of him after getting a guaranteed contract, it is well past time for him to go. After calling out Oscar for spending less time in the gym, he should have called out himself for spending less time preparing his team to play.

I’m still not giving up on this team. We have enough to make a damn good run in the tournament, provided we make it. I firmly believe we will. This team is playing with a purpose.

What aggravates me so bad is that it took Cal over half the season to figure out he needs shooters in the game and that Wheeler needs a more limited role. Even then, it took an injury to Wheeler for him to make the move. Frustrating as hell. 🤦‍♂️

I'll never get back on the Cal train. He lost me years ago. You don't use the stage UK provides to prioritize something else, then lose big, then talk down and lie to the fans.

I'm just waiting him out at this point.

That doesn't mean I won't call it out when he does a good job, but the bottom line is, this isn’t UK basketball and hasn't been for a long time.

He screwed this year up bigtime and he lost games by playing the worst lineups he could have played and it's because he plays favorites and he wants to prove he's smarter than everyone else. Well, now we're fighting for our NCAAT lives with a roster that is built to win a college title.

I have no faith in next years team. That has 10 losses written all over it.

I’m still not giving up on this team. We have enough to make a damn good run in the tournament, provided we make it. I firmly believe we will. This team is playing with a purpose.

What aggravates me so bad is that it took Cal over half the season to figure out he needs shooters in the game and that Wheeler needs a more limited role. Even then, it took an injury to Wheeler for him to make the move. Frustrating as hell. 🤦‍♂️

Based on talent, this team was accurately preseason ranked. We have the right amount of youth blended with seasoned players. We don't have a talent problem; we have a coaching problem. If the two coaches today had switched teams, UK would have easily won by 20.

I was ready to jump ship on Cal after losing to SC. If being on the bandwagon means expecting wins and being emotionally invested in wins and losses, I was squarely off the bandwagon. I was fully expecting a 20+ point loss to Tennessee and didn't care. I had accepted it would happen. I watched that game with no stress or concern, which is a rarity for me. I was shocked we won that game. I didn't know if it was a fluke or what. Then we beat Georgia, and now A&M.

So, at this point I'm invested again in this team, hoping for a run of good basketball and a bunch of wins. As for Cal, I'm in wait and see mode. We MUST make the tournament. We must continue better play. I'm not committing to anything, just hoping for the best. It wouldn't take much for me to be right back where I was after SC, I will admit.

I would like to see what next year's class would bring, I will admit. I know that class is gone if Cal leaves. But it's put up or shut up time. Just win baby! Keep winning and I'm becoming more invested and in a better mood. I don't know if my opinion matters much, though.

Just for the record, I'm gonna support Kentucky basketball regardless of who the coach is. I'm gonna follow the team and hope for the best. I've been doing so all my life and that won't change.

I'll never get back on the Cal train. He lost me years ago. You don't use the stage UK provides to prioritize something else, then lose big, then talk down and lie to the fans.

That doesn't mean I won't call it out when he does a good job, but the bottom line is, this isn’t UK basketball and hasn't been for a long time.

He screwed this year up bigtime and he lost games by playing the worst lineups he could have played and it's because he plays favorites and he wants to prove he's smarter than everyone else. Well, now we're fighting for our NCAAT lives with a roster that is built to win a college title.

Sorry you feel that way. We need you on board Jeff.

Not all Cals fault. Brutal schedule and away from Rupp, injuries galore and 4 of the top 7 players were new to the system.

Now we roll.

We can talk about it all we want, but Cal will be here next year. It doesn't matter if we win out, or lose every game from here until the end of the season. Either way, he's still gonna be the coach next year.

I was ready to jump ship on Cal after losing to SC. If being on the bandwagon means expecting wins and being emotionally invested in wins and losses, I was squarely off the bandwagon. I was fully expecting a 20+ point loss to Tennessee and didn't care. I had accepted it would happen. I watched that game with no stress or concern, which is a rarity for me. I was shocked we won that game. I didn't know if it was a fluke or what. Then we beat Georgia, and now A&M.

So, at this point I'm invested again in this team, hoping for a run of good basketball and a bunch of wins. As for Cal, I'm in wait and see mode. We MUST make the tournament. We must continue better play. I'm not committing to anything, just hoping for the best. It wouldn't take much for me to be right back where I was after SC, I will admit.

I would like to see what next year's class would bring, I will admit. I know that class is gone if Cal leaves. But it's put up or shut up time. Just win baby! Keep winning and I'm becoming more invested and in a better mood. I don't know if my opinion matters much, though.

Just for the record, I'm gonna support Kentucky basketball regardless of who the coach is. I'm gonna follow the team and hope for the best. I've been doing so all my life and that won't change.
Cal is very good at doing just enough to convince enough people that next year will be the year. It will be the return of greatness. This will be the year that we will all see the great pumpkin, Lucy will actually hold the football, and we will catch a glimpse of the real Santa. Each March we are incredibly disappointed by the realization that we were lied to again.

Last edited:

I'm at the point that I will always be a UK fan and don't really care where you are with our coach.

Reactions: Graham51
I'm at the point that I will always be a UK fan and don't really care where you are with our coach.
It sounds like you approve losing. The fact that we take the time to post our disappointments year after year on this site is proof that we are all fans. However, some have a much higher expectation of the team and its coaching staff than others.

My thoughts exactly!

Same, I glad they are playing better, and have found something that works. I still think this team is limited in what they can do, but I am going to enjoy the wins this team gets and try to nit pick less and just realize they are what they are. Enjoy the good times and realize the limitations will hinder this team sometimes. The one aspect I won’t accept is CALs stubbornness and terrible lineup combos, and stall ball

Maybe, just maybe, our Hall of Fame coach is correct when he says it took a while to get this team to buy in and quit playing selfishly. His teams have always been late bloomers because it takes a while to get a bunch of really good players to learn to quit playing for themselves and start playing for the better good. I'm going to hang in and support the team I've been supporting since the late 40s and the rest of you that hate our team and coach can cheer for someone else, I don't want to see you jumping up and down in March when we win though. Pick your side. I pick UK.

Reactions: Graham51
It sounds like you approve losing. The fact that we take the time to post our disappointments year after year on this site is proof that we are all fans. However, some have a much higher expectation of the team and its coaching staff than others.
Some people would bitch if they were hung with a gold rope. We've won three in a row, and have covered the spread all three games. What do you want? "I want to have won against South Carolina." Well that game is over. Get over that and yourself and embrace the positive run that is happening.

This is why I will never be a cheer for Cal guy. He screwed this season and the chance for a high seed up because of favoritism. He has done this in prior seasons as well. It just feels that the goals of certain individuals are placed in front of the team.

With that said, I still hope he is wildly successful in the fans eyes, cause that means UK is winning regardless of his motives.

He just needs to go, it’s going to be an ugly divorce no matter when it happens and he isn’t leading us to a title again ever so go now and let’s go find a guy who will.

Some people would bitch if they were hung with a gold rope. We've won three in a row, and have covered the spread all three games. What do you want? "I want to have won against South Carolina." Well that game is over. Get over that and yourself and embrace the positive run that is happening.
If someone got hung with a gold rope, is that supposed to lessen the fact they are still dead? Lol. Just never heard that one before.

People can still be upset about cal doing some of the same stuff that has held Kentucky back in recent years, he has done it all year and it has cost them games, fans can be upset about that. Now this 3 game winning streak and the people saying they aren’t good wins or it doesn’t matter, are being crazy, these 3 wins have helped change the season and are all 3 good wins and helped Kentucky establish a identity. Lot of promising signs from these games. Both can be true

Maybe, just maybe, our Hall of Fame coach is correct when he says it took a while to get this team to buy in and quit playing selfishly. His teams have always been late bloomers because it takes a while to get a bunch of really good players to learn to quit playing for themselves and start playing for the better good. I'm going to hang in and support the team I've been supporting since the late 40s and the rest of you that hate our team and coach can cheer for someone else, I don't want to see you jumping up and down in March when we win though. Pick your side. I pick UK.
Nah, that’s bullshit. The team was completely uncoached and Cal was playing lineups that had no shot of winning anything.

Everyone in the country, except Cal, knew that Wheeler, Collins and Ware should never be on the court together, but Cal used it over and over.

Took a while to buy in, my ass. That’s an excuse and a made up one at that. In fact, I think YOU are the one that made it up. Cal never said that.

This is Cal's most experienced team and they had the advantage of playing summer ball. The teams we have lost to have less experienced rosters, some with 1st year head coaches.

You can't have this after what has happened the last 2 years.

1 title with 13 years of elite talent with at least 20 first round draft picks. That’s embarrassing, but what's even more embarrassing, is fans like you that support mediocrity and make excuses for a lame duck coach. I hope you leave with him.

Last edited:
You are free to believe that nonsense if you like. However, my eyes weren't lying to me when our offense looked like ants running around after disturbing an ant mound. The players weren't playing selfishly; they simply weren't prepared to play.

Let's take care of Vandy, which is always tough for players who haven't played there before. It's the textbook trap game before Kansas. And for some reason I think we'll have an easier time against Kansas than Vandy. We win those, and like an idiot, I'll be on the bandwagon believing in this team. Our offense is finding it's groove, it's just gotta make more point blank shots at the rim and 3 pointers.

That describes me pretty well. After Carolina I was about to throw in the towel and then Tennessee shocked us all. It was big, but it’s gotta continue. If they revert back to their pre-Tennessee ways, I’ll be ready to move on, regardless of what the incoming class does. I’d assume whoever the replacement would be will probably bring some guys with him too.

But I’m cautiously optimistic that maybe this team has turned a corner and figured out some of their issues. Let’s see if we can make some noise.

Last edited:
Uhhh yeah, most people would complain if they were hung. Wtf kind of crap is that?

It’s funny, you were nowhere to be found when we were 1-3 in conference. Now, after 3 wins, here you are.

Truth is, we're on the bubble and unranked and here your dumbass is trying to attack people that know that’s not okay. F off.

This is exactly where I am. Although I don’t have high expectations for this season. As a fan I’m about the long game right now. I need to see that class next year. I need to see the cal magic from 2010-2017. If ever we are going to see those seasons again, it’s next year with that class because that’s Cal’s jam right there. He’s not a portal guy. He very well may strike gold next year. I really want the fans to put the hate on ice for a spell. Should we accept mediocrity? Hell no! But we are down to our last chip and I think we may have the best hand at the table. Don’t fold just yet. It’s not a great spot to be in right now but this year is not the year to replace him.

Quite frankly there’s not a lot of coaches out there who get me excited at the thought of them coaching here.

Cal is the first/only coach we’ve had who has had to deal with social media. Some may say big deal but I disagree with that. Not only social media for the coach but controlling it for the players too.

I just don’t see a lot of guys out there who are willing to jump into the fire with all the noise this place brings.

15-20 years ago there were probably several good candidates. They’ve all either retired or went to the NBA.

I just hope we keep up what we’ve seen over the last several games and everything else will take care of itself. I also think this team has a chance to do something.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We can talk about it all we want, but Cal will be here next year. It doesn't matter if we win out, or lose every game from here until the end of the season. Either way, he's still gonna be the coach next year.
I think it’s far from 100%. If we miss the tournament, maybe even if we lose in the first round he’s getting run out. You guys just keep saying the same thing over and over and I’ve heard the same about other coaches. Miss the tournament and cal will look for every off ramp out of Lexington. Hell he was on the way to being run out until we beat UT. Didn’t you see what was happening? Even Kyle Tucker was opining who would replace cal.

Relax guy. It’s a what if scenario on a discussion forum. What is a discussion forum for? Discussing things. I’m not trying to take away from 3 wins there is a lot of season left to play and right now we are firmly on the bubble. It’s worth discussion. If this is off limits then shut down the program because the “im here for the ride” crowd will have taken over. At that point we might as well shut down rupp and play in memorial since we will be an average joe basketball school.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT