ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s where I am with cal

Dude, before you claim someone is or is not a Cal fan, you may want to do some digging in their posting history.

Look at my original response to you. Made it very clear I am ready for Cal to go. Look at some of my previous posts in other threads. Have made it very clear I am ready for Cal to go. So now you are 0/1.

Then you say if Cal were to win repeat titles, it would still be best for him to retire. In what world does a fan want a coach to retire after winning repeat titles? Heck, if UK miraculously wins a title this year (doubt it will happen), I will be driving the Cal train. Now you are 0/2.

Third, please point to anywhere in my post where I said UK would fail if Cal left. The fact that UK has won championships with 5 different coaches indicates we would clearly be fine in the long run. However, what I did ask was why run off a coach who just won back to back titles and replace him with someone who we have no idea if they will be successful? Anyone who would choose that route is insane. Now you are 0/3.

Unlike you, I am more than happy to change my mind on Cal if he wins big time again. Do I think it will happen? No. However, I would never be stubborn enough to run someone off after winning back to back titles just because I don't like him anymore. Now you are 0/4.
Debating hypotheticals is a logical fallacy, something you cowbois are known for.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
It’s so concerning to me that he didn’t understand what our best lineup was until we were 15 games into the season, PLUS the Bahamas games, PLUS all the fall practices they had before the season.

He’s supposed to know the game and know what works. "He's a hall of fame coach". Ugh, yeah, right.

It’s also concerning that he ignored the +/- numbers for Wheeler and Collins for 15 games and didn't see how badly they were killing this team.

He probably thought he was smarter than the numbers too.

Not surprising to me, he’s always had Robes and Payne to help him figure it out and handle the details.

E8 in ‘19. Great team in ‘20 that didn’t get a chance to show.

‘21 was certainly terrible but also a a worldwide pandemic that maybe you heard of?

‘22 Cal took a 2 man team to a 2 seed. Blew out Kansas, Tennessee and UNC. Coached Oscar to NPOY.

This season again with a 2 man team we are rounding into form.

There is no one that knows basketball that will say Cal is not a great coach.

But you can have your opinion. It will not change mine.
Define knows basketball? I think I know it very well and Cal certainly is not a great coach, hall of fame be damned. I wanted Cal here probably before most but I’ve watched some horrendous losses during the last 14 years due to nothing but piss poor coaching. Hell of a recruiter and salesman, actual coaching is well below average.

Where am I with Cal ? Off the band wagon thats for sure ...outside of the wins and losses he has taken away my passion for Ky basketball . It didnt happen totally because of him , the NCAA has screwed the game up , NIL has helped , the free agency " go to the highest bidder" stuff has helped ... the goose that laid the golden egg has been killed , so to speak
And even if he whips together a team of NBA 1st rounders / lottery picks ( maybe next year and wins #9 ) nothing makes up for the above . Nothing,

Maybe, just maybe, our Hall of Fame coach is correct when he says it took a while to get this team to buy in and quit playing selfishly. His teams have always been late bloomers because it takes a while to get a bunch of really good players to learn to quit playing for themselves and start playing for the better good. I'm going to hang in and support the team I've been supporting since the late 40s and the rest of you that hate our team and coach can cheer for someone else, I don't want to see you jumping up and down in March when we win though. Pick your side. I pick UK.
This is the most experienced team Cal has ever coached at UK. Two returning starters, experienced veteran from the portal, experienced players on the bench. A week of supervised practices even before they went to the Bahamas, where all the scholarship players played valuable minutes. Yes, his prior teams were usually late bloomers - but not this late in the season. One thing Cal has always claimed was the reason it took a while for teams to gel was because of all the inexperience. This year he had more experience than ever. As for you, you said "Pick your side. I pick UK." But based on what you said I think you're picking Calipari over UK. I pick UK first.

Debating hypotheticals is a logical fallacy, something you cowbois are known for.
Dude, like I told the other poster, you may want to read through my posting history. I am more than ready for Cal to go. His time has run its course.

I know that would probably take a little effort on your part, to actually investigate the facts. But I would strongly recommend doing so before casting aspersions. What is the old saying...something about assuming people are smart, until they open their mouths....

The way you justify losing and mediocrity, is hilarious.

2020 was not a great team, but nice try.

2021 might have had a pandemic, but two teams managed to damn near go undefeated and 68 teams made the NCAAT, we weren't one of them.

2 man teams my ass. First of all, both teams had/have very balanced rosters. This team has a returning NPOY, who's a better rebounder than most of us have ever seen, it has a 2 time SEC assist leader, a lottery pick guard, it has 3 elite shooters and has great size and athletesism. It damn sure has more weapons than South Carolina, Michigan State, Missouri and UCLA.

Cal has been outcoached by some really mediocre coaches that had less talent. Even Tom Crean outcoached him.

Just stop with your excuses.
No excuses from me. And I’m not justifying anything. The facts are what the facts are.

The difference is in how one choses to apply the facts in their life.

I’m still sick about Pitino blowing the ‘92 Duke game. Still Sick about Cal blowing the WVU and Wi games.

But I don’t make up my own facts.

Dude, like I told the other poster, you may want to read through my posting history. I am more than ready for Cal to go. His time has run its course.

I know that would probably take a little effort on your part, to actually investigate the facts. But I would strongly recommend doing so before casting aspersions. What is the old saying...something about assuming people are smart, until they open their mouths....
You failed to address the substance of my reply, which is that you were engaging in debating hypotheticals to prove a point - a logical fallacy. You're not "cornering" anyone with that nonsense. And I'm not the least bit interested in you or your post history. I call 'em like I see 'em, and your nonsensical post rang the "I HEART CAL" bell loud and clear. Don't want to be called out? Don't say stupid crap.

No excuses from me. And I’m not justifying anything. The facts are what the facts are.

I’m still sick about Pitino blowing the ‘92 Duke game. Still Sick about Cal blowing the WVU and Wi games.

No, you just conveniently ignore/omit them when you want to whitewash Cal's record. Say it with me: Cal iz TEH BESTEST EVAR!

• Haha

Who's making up facts?

And don't say you're not making up excuses, that’s exactly what you're doing.

I always find it fascinating when people say they are sick over games kids lost from 3 decades ago from a psychological standpoint.

LOL, what?

There are no rules to being a fan. You don't get to tell fans when they can call out coaching malpractice.

You good with 9-16?
You good with Saint Peters?
You good with losing the wins lead?
You good with losing the all time wins lead?
You good with losing to Evansville, Richmond and South Carolina at home?
You good with Cal talking down to the fans?
You good with kneeling?
You good with what Cal allowed Shaedon Sharpe to do?
You good with Cal prioritizing the NBA draft?
You good with zero ncaat wins in 4 years?
You good with zero ncaat wins over power 5 teams since 2017?

I'm not and neither should you. Don't come on here and act like there's no reason to call Calipari out.

What we have seen the last 3 years, is not Kentucky basketball and with NIL deals, these kids don't give a rip what we have to say.

Maybe if Cal actually developed his rosters over time, instead of recruiting entitled draft picks, we wouldn’t have to worry about losing recruits.
And- “you good that we are arguably a bubble team” after last years early exit. One loss here of there and we will be right back to the coveted first four out. Cal really learned from the last couple of years.

You failed to address the substance of my reply, which is that you were engaging in debating hypotheticals to prove a point - a logical fallacy. You're not "cornering" anyone with that nonsense. And I'm not the least bit interested in you or your post history. I call 'em like I see 'em, and your nonsensical post rang the "I HEART CAL" bell loud and clear. Don't want to be called out? Don't say stupid crap.
If you are not the least bit interested in me or my post history, and you deem my post nonsensical, why on earth would you ever waste your time responding...here is a novel idea...ignore it and move on.

If you are not the least bit interested in me or my post history, and you deem my post nonsensical, why on earth would you ever waste your time responding...here is a novel idea...ignore it and move on.
Nobody cares about your post history. We’re responding to what you have said in this thread. You keep talking about your post history, so what.

People change their stances all the time in here.

Reactions: BBNWildcat
Nobody cares about your post history. We’re responding to what you have said in this thread. You keep talking about your post history, so what.

People change their stances all the time in here.
Well when you and other posters try to paint me as a Cal fan when I have repeatedly said I am more than ready for him to go...it gets a little annoying. It's a darn shame there are actually facts to back up what I am saying about how I feel about the man.

Pretty sure you would feel the exact same way if people were claiming you were saying something that wasn't true, and there were a bunch of facts in your favor that were ignored. That is called ignorance.

Well when you and other posters try to paint me as a Cal fan when I have repeatedly said I am more than ready for him to go...it gets a little annoying. It's a darn shame there are actually facts to back up what I am saying about how I feel about the man.

Pretty sure you would feel the exact same way if people were claiming you were saying something that wasn't true, and there were a bunch of facts in your favor that were ignored. That is called ignorance.
People change their minds about Cal daily on here. It’s crazy. He wins a game and 50 people act like they never jumped off the train. As soon as we lose, off the train they go.

I don't check someone's post history when I reply to live comments. I've only seen you here recently, it's not like you're a long term poster.

This season has been horrendous for the most part compared to our preseason feeling, polls, etc. We could very well still end up outside the tournament for which I cannot support. I’m not going to drop my expectations that just leads to this coach squatting in the position for however long.

If cal can get us firmly into the tournament, not limping or backing our way in rather playing our way to know by the last 2 weeks we are on. If cal can win a couple ncaaT games. I’ll be on board for one more season with the guy given the class he’s brought in. I’ll bring some excitement but my expectations will be through the roof.

One more season means TITLE oR BUST. We win a title and cal can stay a little longer. We lose in ff no way. It’s all or nothing. To be granted a mulligan for the past 3 trainwreck cal has to deliver a title. This year or next

If we do not get in or get bounced first round this year all bets are off he can take his class elsewhere.

Where are you at this point?
Despite a continuation of the downward spiral since 2015, Cal ain't going anywhere unless someone can pony up $50 million for a buyout. Even though Vegas favored us to cut down the nets this year, the tournament seeding has long since been blown with our dismal performance to start the season. We still have a chance to limp into the tournament as a 10th or 11th seed, but forget making a deep run in the tournament. Time to face reality....no point in living in fantasy land.

People change their minds about Cal daily on here. It’s crazy. He wins a game and 50 people act like they never jumped off the train. As soon as we lose, off the train they go.

I don't check someone's post history when I reply to live comments. I've only seen you here recently, it's not like you're a long term poster.
I’m curious since y’all are on this. You’ve said many times as recent as during the 9-16 season that you didn’t want cal fired you just wanted him to change. Is that still where you’re at? Or are you all the way in on a firing at this point?

Despite a continuation of the downward spiral since 2015, Cal ain't going anywhere unless someone can pony up $50 million for a buyout. Even though Vegas favored us to cut down the nets this year, the tournament seeding has long since been blown with our dismal performance to start the season. We still have a chance to limp into the tournament as a 10th or 11th seed, but forget making a deep run in the tournament. Time to face reality....no point in living in fantasy land.
The buy out is much less than 50 million firs off. Second we are definitely good enough to make a run in the tournament. We have the players. UNC did it from an 8 seed last year. At the same token we could miss the tournament and cal will be out on his can. I think the buyout issue is overstated. I also think Cals had enough of bbn. No way he will survive missing the tournament. He will want to take the first job that offers him while he still can.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I’m curious since y’all are on this. You’ve said many times as recent as during the 9-16 season that you didn’t want cal fired you just wanted him to change. Is that still where you’re at? Or are you all the way in on a firing at this point?
Well, he ain't changing, so…

I've made my stance very clear since about halfway through the 9-16 season as he was talking down to the fans and playing guys that had no business in a UK jersey.

He cared about UK's history and accomplishments back when he took the job, that quickly changed and each year that has gone by, he’s cared even less and gotten angrier and angrier with the fans that pay his salary.

Well, he ain't changing, so…

I've made my stance very clear since about halfway through the 9-16 season as he was talking down to the fans and playing guys that had no business in a UK jersey.

He cared about UK's history and accomplishments back when he took the job, that quickly changed and each year that has gone by, he’s cared even less and gotten angrier and angrier with the fans that pay his salary.
He made lots of changes at the time. We went from having one of the youngest teams in the country to one of the oldest.

If someone has high standards around how the coach handles the tradition aspect of Kentucky basketball then cal will not be popular with that person. But none of that had any bearing on the wins and losses. When these games tip off our tradition and history is irrelevant. A lot of people can no longer stomach his lack of lip service to the fanbase. So I assume you are in that group.

So there’s no amount of winning he can do to ever persuade you to want to see him as coach?

He made lots of changes at the time. We went from having one of the youngest teams in the country to one of the oldest.

If someone has high standards around how the coach handles the tradition aspect of Kentucky basketball then cal will not be popular with that person. But none of that had any bearing on the wins and losses. When these games tip off our tradition and history is irrelevant. A lot of people can no longer stomach his lack of lip service to the fanbase. So I assume you are in that group.

So there’s no amount of winning he can do to ever persuade you to want to see him as coach?
So you think the only change he needed to make, was 1 season with a veteran roster?

So you think the only change he needed to make, was 1 season with a veteran roster?
No not now. Not at all. I think he does better with the blue chip freshman. But at the time, that was a big change that the fanbase wanted. Older players and shooters. I think after the 9-16 season he made those changes. Also changed the coaching staff which was huge. I seem to remember these are changes that you yourself applauded. Now we can all universally agree that St. Peters was a debacle and the losses this season also unacceptable. My question remains, is there no amount of winning that can get you to want cal to remain as coach?

No not now. Not at all. I think he does better with the blue chip freshman. But at the time, that was a big change that the fanbase wanted. Older players and shooters. I think after the 9-16 season he made those changes. Also changed the coaching staff which was huge. I seem to remember these are changes that you yourself applauded. Now we can all universally agree that St. Peters was a debacle and the losses this season also unacceptable. My question remains, is there no amount of winning that can get you to want cal to remain as coach?
In my mind, he needed to change everything he was doing, especially his priorities.

Of course he does better with blue chip freshmen, but who doesn't? I mean, what coach out there couldn't win with the rosters Cal had from 09-17?

He gets credit for recruiting those guys, but that recruiting went away when Orlando left, then came back when Orlando came back.

But, when he doesn't have a transcendent blue chip player, he sucks and if you're going to run this farm system, you better get transcendent players every year and since we know that’s not sustainable, it shouldn't be a thing here.

But dont get it twisted, I've been trying to be fair. When Cal does a good job, I am one of the first ones to publicly call it out. So yeah, I did give him props for changing his coaching staff and bringing in experienced rosters, but like I said, he needed to change everything and he didn’t. 9-16 happened, Saint Peters happened and now we're sitting on the bubble with a legit college FF roster, because he’s so damn stubborn and refuses to adapt.

I could go on all night, but I won't.

Bottom line, he lost his mojo and he's too stubborn to change enough to be successful in today’s college game.

In my mind, he needed to change everything he was doing, especially his priorities.

Of course he does better with blue chip freshmen, but who doesn't? I mean, what coach out there couldn't win with the rosters Cal had from 09-17?

He gets credit for recruiting those guys, but that recruiting went away when Orlando left, then came back when Orlando came back.

But, when he doesn't have a transcendent blue chip player, he sucks and if you're going to run this farm system, you better get transcendent players every year and since we know that’s not sustainable, it shouldn't be a thing here.

But dont get it twisted, I've been trying to be fair. When Cal does a good job, I am one of the first ones to publicly call it out. So yeah, I did give him props for changing his coaching staff and bringing in experienced rosters, but like I said, he needed to change everything and he didn’t. 9-16 happened, Saint Peters happened and now we're sitting on the bubble with a legit college FF roster, because he’s so damn stubborn and refuses to adapt.

I could go on all night, but I won't.

Bottom line, he lost his mojo and he's too stubborn to change enough to be successful in today’s college game.
Alright, I guess you’re not gonna answer. I agree with all the other stuff, it’s been talked about like a thousand times at this point.

Third times a charm.

Is there any amount of winning that would lead you to want to see cal continue to coach here?
No.

He continues to be a person I don't like. His arrogance is off the charts and the way he justifies things, is ridiculous.
I mean, he finally plays the lineup we all said he should have been playing and he gets smug with the fans, like he figured out something nobody could have ever known.
He will always play favorites, he will always coach for the NBA draft, he will never fully adapt to today's game and it's clear to me that he has won all the titles he’s going to win. 1.

Who's making up facts?

And don't say you're not making up excuses, that’s exactly what you're doing.
Maybe in your opinion? You also said '20 wasn't a great team. The team that won the SEC by 3 games. And I'm the one to omit?

I get it. You have a Cal hate agenda. And that's OK too. We don't have to agree and it's even OK to disagree.

I say it's time for Cal to move on too. Just not for coaching reasons.

Maybe in your opinion? You also said '20 wasn't a great team. The team that won the SEC by 3 games. And I'm the one to omit?

I get it. You have a Cal hate agenda. And that's OK too. We don't have to agree and it's even OK to disagree.

I say it's time for Cal to move on too. Just not for coaching reasons.
There was nobody else in the SEC worth a damn in 2020.

That team had too many flaws and a coach that chokes when the lights are at their brightest.
Hagans was a head case.

Typical Cal fanboi, make excuses, ignore the facts and throw that 2020 team into an arguement and claim it was going to be great, even though better UK teams fell short of expectations under Cal.

The 2019 and 2022 teams were better, look what happened to those teams.

We thought 2018 was going to go on a run, nope, Kansas State didn't even need their best player.

What you don't get is, Cal is not the same coach he was his first 5 years here. The sooner you figure that out, the sooner you'll see what most everyone else sees.

This season has been horrendous for the most part compared to our preseason feeling, polls, etc. We could very well still end up outside the tournament for which I cannot support. I’m not going to drop my expectations that just leads to this coach squatting in the position for however long.

If cal can get us firmly into the tournament, not limping or backing our way in rather playing our way to know by the last 2 weeks we are on. If cal can win a couple ncaaT games. I’ll be on board for one more season with the guy given the class he’s brought in. I’ll bring some excitement but my expectations will be through the roof.

One more season means TITLE oR BUST. We win a title and cal can stay a little longer. We lose in ff no way. It’s all or nothing. To be granted a mulligan for the past 3 trainwreck cal has to deliver a title. This year or next

If we do not get in or get bounced sfirst round this year all bets are off he can take his class elsewhere.

Where are you at this point?
Cal sucks, he has destroyed most of our records and more importantly our tradition. We are not feared any longer when our players suit up. I am for giving him another year only if he refuses his salary for this year and if he does not make a FF next year.

I'm at the point where I am tired of "fans" that seem intent on hurting recruiting (great recruiting) when there is no doubt that is the ONLY thing they might accomplish. IF we don't accomplish anything the next two years (the earliest our so called AD would possibly do anything) then start yelling then.
What good is recruiting under Cal? What has he done with talent in last 7 years. You can bring in all of the studs you want, but, if you cannot Coach or keep them more than a year then what is the point.

Dude, before you claim someone is or is not a Cal fan, you may want to do some digging in their posting history.

Look at my original response to you. Made it very clear I am ready for Cal to go. Look at some of my previous posts in other threads. Have made it very clear I am ready for Cal to go. So now you are 0/1.

Then you say if Cal were to win repeat titles, it would still be best for him to retire. In what world does a fan want a coach to retire after winning repeat titles? Heck, if UK miraculously wins a title this year (doubt it will happen), I will be driving the Cal train. Now you are 0/2.

Third, please point to anywhere in my post where I said UK would fail if Cal left. The fact that UK has won championships with 5 different coaches indicates we would clearly be fine in the long run. However, what I did ask was why run off a coach who just won back to back titles and replace him with someone who we have no idea if they will be successful? Anyone who would choose that route is insane. Now you are 0/3.

Unlike you, I am more than happy to change my mind on Cal if he wins big time again. Do I think it will happen? No. However, I would never be stubborn enough to run someone off after winning back to back titles just because I don't like him anymore. Now you are 0/4.
I can name 2 football Coach's that won NC recently and were fired soon after. I am not saying I would hate to win a NC, but, I think that ship has sailed with Cal.

Quit saying stupid things, and you’ll cease being called out. It’s a novel idea. It isn’t anyome else’s responsibility to research you before responding to one of your comments. Don’t want to be associated with cowbois, don’t act like them.

Quit saying stupid things, and you’ll cease being called out. It’s a novel idea. It isn’t anyome else’s responsibility to research you before responding to one of your comments. Don’t want to be associated with cowbois, don’t act like them.
Sigh....have a good day dude.

ADVERTISEMENT