ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s where I am with cal

I dont see any way he can win me back that's realistic.
I’m willing to have Cal Coach next year’s class.

If he manages to f@&k that class up with Reed Shepard being among the least talented of the frosh, this state might implode.

I was ready to jump ship on Cal after losing to SC. If being on the bandwagon means expecting wins and being emotionally invested in wins and losses, I was squarely off the bandwagon. I was fully expecting a 20+ point loss to Tennessee and didn't care. I had accepted it would happen. I watched that game with no stress or concern, which is a rarity for me. I was shocked we won that game. I didn't know if it was a fluke or what. Then we beat Georgia, and now A&M.

So, at this point I'm invested again in this team, hoping for a run of good basketball and a bunch of wins. As for Cal, I'm in wait and see mode. We MUST make the tournament. We must continue better play. I'm not committing to anything, just hoping for the best. It wouldn't take much for me to be right back where I was after SC, I will admit.

I would like to see what next year's class would bring, I will admit. I know that class is gone if Cal leaves. But it's put up or shut up time. Just win baby! Keep winning and I'm becoming more invested and in a better mood. I don't know if my opinion matters much, though.

Just for the record, I'm gonna support Kentucky basketball regardless of who the coach is. I'm gonna follow the team and hope for the best. I've been doing so all my life and that won't change.
Couldn’t had said it better

Reactions: IL Wildcat
This season has been horrendous for the most part compared to our preseason feeling, polls, etc. We could very well still end up outside the tournament for which I cannot support. I’m not going to drop my expectations that just leads to this coach squatting in the position for however long.

If cal can get us firmly into the tournament, not limping or backing our way in rather playing our way to know by the last 2 weeks we are on. If cal can win a couple ncaaT games. I’ll be on board for one more season with the guy given the class he’s brought in. I’ll bring some excitement but my expectations will be through the roof.

One more season means TITLE oR BUST. We win a title and cal can stay a little longer. We lose in ff no way. It’s all or nothing. To be granted a mulligan for the past 3 trainwreck cal has to deliver a title. This year or next

If we do not get in or get bounced first round this year all bets are off he can take his class elsewhere.

Where are you at this point?
I'm at the point where I am tired of "fans" that seem intent on hurting recruiting (great recruiting) when there is no doubt that is the ONLY thing they might accomplish. IF we don't accomplish anything the next two years (the earliest our so called AD would possibly do anything) then start yelling then.

Last edited:
I'll never get back on the Cal train. He lost me years ago. You don't use the stage UK provides to prioritize something else, then lose big, then talk down and lie to the fans.

I'm just waiting him out at this point.

That doesn't mean I won't call it out when he does a good job, but the bottom line is, this isn’t UK basketball and hasn't been for a long time.

He screwed this year up bigtime and he lost games by playing the worst lineups he could have played and it's because he plays favorites and he wants to prove he's smarter than everyone else. Well, now we're fighting for our NCAAT lives with a roster that is built to win a college title.

I have no faith in next years team. That has 10 losses written all over it.
This plus the Sharpe scandal made him dead to me. There is no coming back from that.

Cal has consistently over the past several years demonstrated that he isn't really committed to winning. Cal didn't really start preparing his team to play this year until he was called out by some of his peers. If that is necessary for him to put in the work that is expected of him after getting a guaranteed contract, it is well past time for him to go. After calling out Oscar for spending less time in the gym, he should have called out himself for spending less time preparing his team to play.
Well you do know that he has been spending a lot of time and effort on the road recruiting------with GREAT results.

But you MIGHT be able to accomplish something-----hurt our recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howler_
I’m still not giving up on this team. We have enough to make a damn good run in the tournament, provided we make it. I firmly believe we will. This team is playing with a purpose.

What aggravates me so bad is that it took Cal over half the season to figure out he needs shooters in the game and that Wheeler needs a more limited role. Even then, it took an injury to Wheeler for him to make the move. Frustrating as hell. 🤦‍♂️
And he is still being petulant by starting Livingston. We are still a ways from being in the tournament, so many tough games still left. We still give up too many easy shots at the rim but they are much better offensively and at staying in front of their men.

The reason it took me until this year to be on the "yeah he should leave" side is that CBB is a mess and there are no really clear gettable replacements. It has been the obvious poor scouting , team building, and non-sensical lineups (while being a jackass to the fans) that finally did it for me. It will be interesting to see if our fans will do the offseason myopia like we have normally done.

Nah, that’s bullshit. The team was completely uncoached and Cal was playing lineups that had no shot of winning anything.

Everyone in the country, except Cal, knew that Wheeler, Collins and Ware should never be on the court together, but Cal used it over and over.

Took a while to buy in, my ass. That’s an excuse and a made up one at that. In fact, I think YOU are the one that made it up. Cal never said that.

This is Cal's most experienced team and they had the advantage of playing summer ball. The teams we have lost to have les experienced rosters, some with 1st year head coaches.

You can't have this after what has happened the last 2 years.

1 title with 13 years of elite talent with at least 20 first round draft picks. That’s embarrassing, but what's even more embarrassing, is fans like you that support mediocrity and make excuses for a lame duck coach. I hope you leave with him.
We ran action in OT against MSU with Wheeler and Ware on the same side feeding Ware posting 15 feet from the basket, FFS. That was the most poorly coached game ever by a sober UK coach (hat tip to Billy Clyde).

Cal has consistently over the past several years demonstrated that he isn't really committed to winning. Cal didn't really start preparing his team to play this year until he was called out by some of his peers. If that is necessary for him to put in the work that is expected of him after getting a guaranteed contract, it is well past time for him to go. After calling out Oscar for spending less time in the gym, he should have called out himself for spending less time preparing his team to play.
This is where I am.

And he still isn't really preparing the team anyway.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Without reading this entire thread I’d say let’s let the season play out and then revisit where everyone is at with Cal

I'm at the point where I am tired of "fans" that seem intent on hurting recruiting (great recruiting) when there is no doubt that is the ONLY thing they might accomplish. IF we don't accomplish anything the next two years (the earliest our so called AD would possibly do anything) then start yelling then.
LOL, what?

There are no rules to being a fan. You don't get to tell fans when they can call out coaching malpractice.

You good with 9-16?
You good with Saint Peters?
You good with losing the wins lead?
You good with losing the all time wins lead?
You good with losing to Evansville, Richmond and South Carolina at home?
You good with Cal talking down to the fans?
You good with kneeling?
You good with what Cal allowed Shaedon Sharpe to do?
You good with Cal prioritizing the NBA draft?
You good with zero ncaat wins in 4 years?
You good with zero ncaat wins over power 5 teams since 2017?

I'm not and neither should you. Don't come on here and act like there's no reason to call Calipari out.

What we have seen the last 3 years, is not Kentucky basketball and with NIL deals, these kids don't give a rip what we have to say.

Maybe if Cal actually developed his rosters over time, instead of recruiting entitled draft picks, we wouldn’t have to worry about losing recruits.

Last edited:
Without reading this entire thread I’d say let’s let the season play out and then revisit where everyone is at with Cal
Well, this is a message board, we aren't just going to sit here quietly after what we have seen the last 3 years.
We have 6 losses this year, most of them due to poor coaching, preperation and especially lineups.
Yeah, we're going to have conversations about it, but you don't have to.
Almost everyone in this thread has and does call it out when Cal does a good job, so this isn’t just a one way discusdion group.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
I'll never get back on the Cal train. He lost me years ago. You don't use the stage UK provides to prioritize something else, then lose big, then talk down and lie to the fans.

That doesn't mean I won't call it out when he does a good job, but the bottom line is, this isn’t UK basketball and hasn't been for a long time.

He screwed this year up bigtime and he lost games by playing the worst lineups he could have played and it's because he plays favorites and he wants to prove he's smarter than everyone else. Well, now we're fighting for our NCAAT lives with a roster that is built to win a college title.

Pounding sand sounds like a better option.

A batch of UK fans share your view, but fortunately BBN as a whole doesn’t care about those with bad attitudes, problems outside of basketball that rule their fandom, etc.. That’s what makes BBN special.

Rupp Arena was packed and jacked yesterday. I promise not one person n there was moping about next year being a ten loss team. BBN doesn’t have time for that childish sh&t.

Well you do know that he has been spending a lot of time and effort on the road recruiting------with GREAT results.

But you MIGHT be able to accomplish something-----hurt our recruiting.
When has recruiting without coaching produced a championship? I guess you think banners are hung for best recruiting. Fans who think like you are the reason Cal gets away with his nonsense. You obviously must be a newbie and have no idea of Kentucky's past when teams feared playing UK. Now they are excited about playing us because they see it as a chance to kick more sand on us while getting the national attention they wouldn't ordinarily get. How about educating yourself about the team before posting more nonsense?

Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM
Rupp Arena was packed and jacked yesterday. I promise not one person n there was moping about next year being a ten loss team. BBN doesn’t have time for that childish sh&t.
Rupp wasn’t even sold out yesterday but the crowd was loud.

Well..Calipari will have to do an awful lot that I think he’s no longer capable of doing
Wont even play the if game..
No expectations of what they will or won’t do because I can’t trust the coach
Hate it for the team though..they deserve better

Eh.. while I am ready for Cal to go, everybody and their mom knows you would firmly be back on board if the Cats make a final four/win championship this year and do the same next year with the talent coming in.

To say otherwise is quite frankly a joke...

If he were to do that (not saying he is capable), everybody would be back on board with Cal.

Last edited:
Eh.. while I am ready for Cal to go, everybody and their mom knows you would firmly be back on board if the Cats make a final four/win championship this year and does the same next year will the talent coming in.

To say otherwise is quite frankly a joke...

If he were to do that (not saying he is capable), everybody would be back on board with Cal.
Oh really? So you know me?

No, I will not ever be back on the Cal train. He showed his stubbornness and ignorance in the face of all the losing, mismanagement, kneeling and lying.

Yes, he has lied to this fanbase many, many times, he has prioritized the NBA draft over UK, he has orchestrated the worst losing season and the worst tournament loss in the history of this program and he, stubbornly, drove this current team in the ground while trying to prove he knows more than everyone else. He will never change.

Would I love it if UK made a FF, or won a title, hell yeah and I would give Cal props for doing that.

But the damage he has done, is far too great in my eyes.

Again, you don't know me, so you can’t make the statements you made about me.

If you’re a UK fan , you’d want Cal to announce one November that ‘this is it ‘ and coach one more year ,and give the administration a full season to identify a coach . You also have a calendar year to figure out what your roster is going to look like for the next yr. Any scenario of him leaving , an entire recruiting class leaving and the normal turnover of going pro and transferring would leave us like Louisville is this year . Having a retirement tour ( or ‘I’m leaving tour’ ) and some time to figure stuff out is the best for UK

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’m still not giving up on this team. We have enough to make a damn good run in the tournament, provided we make it. I firmly believe we will. This team is playing with a purpose.

What aggravates me so bad is that it took Cal over half the season to figure out he needs shooters in the game and that Wheeler needs a more limited role. Even then, it took an injury to Wheeler for him to make the move. Frustrating as hell. 🤦‍♂️
I agree- if we can make our open shots, by supposedly good shooters we will be hard to beat

Oh really? So you know me?

No, I will not ever be back on the Cal train. He showed his stubbornness and ignorance in the face of all the losing, mismanagement, kneeling and lying.

Yes, he has lied to this fanbase many, many times, he has prioritized the NBA draft over UK, he has orchestrated the worst losing season and the worst tournament loss in the history of this program and he, stubbornly, drove this current team in the ground while trying to prove he knows more than everyone else. He will never change.

Would I love it if UK made a FF, or won a title, hell yeah and I would give Cal props for doing that.

But the damage he has done, is far too great in my eyes.

Again, you don't know me, so you can’t make the statements you made about me.
Just so we are clear...if Cal wins back to back championships, you will still want him gone?

And then bring in another coach who could totally flame out?

Yikes, that is an awful take.

Just so we are clear...if Cal wins back to back championships, you will still want him gone?

Oh, so let's disect this load of garbage.

First of all, Cal isn't winning back to back titles, if you really believe that's going to happen, I have ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you.

Lets say that he did win b2b titles. I would be ecstatic for the program, but I'd still want Cal to retire. It would be best for him, for the fans and for the program.

Now, lets get to the other garbage in your post. You need to understand something. Cal didn’t build UK, in fact, he has been destroying it the last 5 years. UK built its accomplishments and reputation long before Cal got here, so this idea you have that UK would fail once Cal leaves, is crap.

Cal has been getting beat by less decorated coaches that have less resources and talent, regularly. You can't deny that.

Your post actually aggravates me a little. You give extreme examples in both cases. Apparently, in your world, Cal wins b2b titles, but his replacement is guaranteed to fail miserably. stfu with that crap.

You Cal fans disgust me, you really do. You were nowhere to be found when we were losing to South carolina, but here you are after a couple of wins. You're a shit fan. You only pay attention when UK is winning.

I’m watching, BUT with a lot of skepticism that he’s gonna screw up the little thing we have going right now. I hope he don’t, but time will tell. I do think he’s snipping Theiro, who can help us with 12-15 minutes per game. Guy helps us then just gets stored in the pantry for no reason. I want to get excited, and some feeing for the games has returned I’ll admit, but it’s just like you’re waiting for the guy to revert. If we keep winning, great. That’s what we want.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I guess you think banners are hung for best recruiting. When has recruiting without coaching produced a championship? Fans who think like you are the reason Cal gets away with his nonsense. You obviously must be a newbie and have no idea of Kentucky's past when teams feared playing UK. Now they are excited about playing us because they see it as a chance to kick more sand on us while getting the national attention they wouldn't ordinarily get. How about educating yourself about the team before posting more nonsense?
"When has recruiting without coaching produced a championship?"
2012 according to many 🤷‍♂️

I’m watching, BUT with a lot of skepticism that he’s gonna screw up the little thing we have going right now. I hope he don’t, but time will tell. I do think he’s snipping Theiro, who can help us with 12-15 minutes per game. Guy helps us then just gets stored in the pantry for no reason. I want to get excited, and some feeing for the games has returned I’ll admit, but it’s just like you’re waiting for the guy to revert. If we keep winning, great. That’s what we want.
I am sure if Cal was asked why Adou isn't playing he would say he isn't earning playing time in practice. I just don't get it why less than 5-star recruits keep coming to UK when they know they are unlikely to be given a fair chance.

Fingers crossed I guess, I want so much as do all fans, for this team to put it together. The 3 game win streak is encouraging but that South Carolina loss still stings and is totally baffling how we lost to them...They are horrendous...Anyway, I'm at the point where I hope this team just improves each game, that's all I can expect and I have come to the realization that they are what they are.

Beating UT was impressive. That said, I am not going to let two wins at home against unranked SEC foes distract me from the obvious systemic problems in our program. Beating Georgia and Texas A&M should be routine for a blue blood program, not a reason to think this team is going deep in the tourny. Neither of the wins were of the dominating fashion we are accustomed to at Kentucky, either. We were a better team at this point last year and the season still ended disappointingly. I expect the same this year.

I will continue to root on UK and hope for the best. I admit that watching next year's class could be fun, but I would rather rebuild now than have a good enough (but not great) season next year that will promote keeping a coach working his way to obsolescence.

Why are you asking a hypothetical question that you know won't happen? At this stage in Cal's career when he no longer has the will, the knowledge or the recruits to win anything you suggest he is capable of winning back-to-back NCs when he has never come close to doing it. You are really reaching and worrying about something that you will never have to worry about.

Last edited:
This plus the Sharpe scandal made him dead to me. There is no coming back from that.
That’s the biggest thing to me he will never win me back. It’s every season we’re losing games that we have no business losing because Cal is pounding it into most fans heads that Nov-Feb games don’t matter. When any true UK fan knows for a fact every game matters as soon as the season starts till the season ends. Example this season Cal has dug us into a hole so big because he chose to try stupid lineup experiments that had no business being on the court together. Every game matters because you have to get a good seed and man imagine if he would’ve went with this efficient lineup from the beginning we’d be talking a 1 seed right now instead of outside the tournament trying to get in.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
Cal is very good at doing just enough to convince enough people that next year will be the year. It will be the return of greatness. This will be the year that we will all see the great pumpkin, Lucy will actually hold the football, and we will catch a glimpse of the real Santa. Each March we are incredibly disappointed by the realization that we were lied to again.
More and more rational fans are starting to realize this!

That’s the biggest thing to me he will never win me back. It’s every season we’re losing games that we have no business losing because Cal is pounding it into most fans heads that Nov-Feb games don’t matter. When any true UK fan knows for a fact every game matters as soon as the season starts till the season ends. Example this season Cal has dug us into a hole so big because he chose to try stupid lineup experiments that had no business being on the court together. Every game matters because you have to get a good seed and man imagine if he would’ve went with this efficient lineup from the beginning we’d be talking a 1 seed right now instead of outside the tournament trying to get in.
It is unlikely that this is true, but is it possible that Cal is gun-shy about making the playoff because he is afraid of another embarrassing St. Pete type of loss?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
If I felt like Cal was capable of winning a title, even getting to a Final Four, I might have optimism after the last 3 games. But that Cal is gone and is never coming back in my opinion. Short of a long winning streak and a really excellent February, Kentucky is probably going to be a 6-10 seed in the tournament. That’s not my expectations for UK basketball. Not coming off a 9-16 record and 1st round loss in the tournament. That’s 3 years of underachieving. I know Kentucky getting into the tournament will likely give Cal next season but if this year isn’t his last, I want next season to definitely be his last. I don’t think anything short of a national title will change my mind.

I’m the same place I’ve been the last 3 or 4 years.

Cal is a great coach. Great ambassador for UK. Cal is a good man.

Cal is going to be very hard to replace here.

But I’m done with the players first stuff. I want a coach at UK that puts the program first.

And I’m ok with that person not being as good as Cal. I just want the coach to play to win for UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT