ADVERTISEMENT

Stopgap coach?

May 13, 2009
So, just to consider another contingency plan. Say we miss on our main targets because of the bad timing of all this. (Hurley coming off a title, Oats final four, Donovan NBA season). How would we feel about a short term stop gap coach to right the ship? This coach would have to go into the situation understanding what it is. This would give us the freedom of an entire season to pick our next long term coach. This also gives us another year or so to see if any of the young coaches really start to take off.

This is honestly what I wanted next year to be with Cal.

How do you sell a coach on a “we don’t really want you, you’re just a stopgap until we find someone better” pitch?

He wouldn’t be able to get any quality recruits under those terms, it would guarantee that next year is an utter disaster, he’d know he’s just a sacrificial lamb and it’ll taint his reputation for the rest of his career.

Who is signing on to that deal?

It would always be “next year” with Cal. No matter when he left, we would be having this same issue getting a quality replacement.

We aimed high for Hurley and he said no, so move on.

If Drew says no tomorrow, move on.

Expand your search and look at the Creighton Coach. Golden at Florida. or someone that wants this job like Pearl.

GJPL5s1W4AAv_nm.jpg

So, just to consider another contingency plan. Say we miss on our main targets because of the bad timing of all this. (Hurley coming off a title, Oats final four, Donovan NBA season). How would we feel about a short term stop gap coach to right the ship? This coach would have to go into the situation understanding what it is. This would give us the freedom of an entire season to pick our next long term coach. This also gives us another year or so to see if any of the young coaches really start to take off.

This is honestly what I wanted next year to be with Cal.
What coach is going to come here knowing he is only a stop-gap and here for only a year? Maybe a 2-3 year prove it deal, but this will not happen.

Reactions: westerncat
How do you sell a coach on a “we don’t really want you, you’re just a stopgap until we find someone better” pitch?

He wouldn’t be able to get any quality recruits under those terms, it would guarantee that next year is an utter disaster, he’d know he’s just a sacrificial lamb and it’ll taint his reputation for the rest of his career.

Who is signing on to that deal?
Likely being older or later in his career.

What coach is going to come here knowing he is only a stop-gap and here for only a year? Maybe a 2-3 year prove it deal, but this will not happen.
I think it's a terrible idea. But if you had to, pick a coach that is thisclose to retiring. Mark Few, Dana Altman, Tom Izzo, Rick Barnes.

Goose Givens! He could at least call the recruits and current players. Let Jeff Shepherd help out, too.

It would always be “next year” with Cal. No matter when he left, we would be having this same issue getting a quality replacement.

We aimed high for Hurley and he said no, so move on.

If Drew says no tomorrow, move on.

Expand your search and look at the Creighton Coach. Golden at Florida. or someone that wants this job like Pearl.
I think McDermott could be an amazing coach at a place like UK. It’s the perfect job to elevate a coach like him IMO. I also think Tommy Lloyd has shown that he is starting a good run, he will break thru at some point.

Not gonna happen. He makes more as a pimp.
I don’t understand why he acts(dresses, the aura he projects) like that, nobody thinks he knows what it’s like to come from a rough neighborhood or low income parents. He’s wearing sunglasses(at least tinted glasses) inside for crying out loud. The Earned not given thing is so cringe too. He is literally getting a position on his father’s staff and got some experience at Vandy because of his father as well. He used the same privilege as everyone else who has people in positions of power in an industry.

The answer here is Bruce Pearl, who will bring his son on staff and want him to take over as coach in waiting, like Saul Smith 2.0 back in the day with Tubby, but Barnhart will say screw that I’m retiring and letting the next AD deal with that mess.

I hope it doesn’t get to this point.

I don’t understand why he acts(dresses, the aura he projects) like that, nobody thinks he knows what it’s like to come from a rough neighborhood or low income parents. He’s wearing sunglasses(at least tinted glasses) inside for crying out loud. The Earned not given thing is so cringe too. He is literally getting a position on his father’s staff and got some experience at Vandy because of his father as well. He used the same privilege as everyone else who has people in positions of power in an industry.
Another benefit of Cal leaving is never having to witness Brad’s act again. Thank goodness we didn’t have to see him become Cal’s lead assistant, because you know that day was eventually coming if Cal had stayed.

Now let this thread be the last we speak of Brad.

You can do it on the down low by going old.

Pitino might actually be perfect for such an assignment and Pearl is almost to the eye on the exits stage as well.

I don't think there is a 7-10 year window for such men so you really are looking at 3-5 pretty much by default.

Reactions: lonewildcat
Goose Givens! He could at least call the recruits and current players. Let Jeff Shepherd help out, too.
I'd way rather give Pope a shot and hope for the best than worry about any of that.

If it doesn't work out then at least he can be cut loose without a media and profession crap storm.

Don't hire someone you can't fire unless you are way more sure than one Final Four.
Granted it came with a championship but both during Covid.

If his recruiting was one bit less he'd actually be scary to count on for last weekend play rather than vaguely uninspired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT