ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s where I am with cal

Oh, so let's disect this load of garbage.

First of all, Cal isn't winning back to back titles, if you really believe that's going to happen, I have ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you.

Lets say that he did win b2b titles. I would be ecstatic for the program, but I'd still want Cal to retire. It would be best for him, for the fans and for the program.

Now, lets get to the other garbage in your post. You need to understand something. Cal didn’t build UK, in fact, he has been destroying it the last 5 years. UK built its accomplishments and reputation long before Cal got here, so this idea you have that UK would fail once Cal leaves, is crap.

Cal has been getting beat by less decorated coaches that have less resources and talent, regularly. You can't deny that.

Your post actually aggravates me a little. You give extreme examples in both cases. Apparently, in your world, Cal wins b2b titles, but his replacement is guaranteed to fail miserably. stfu with that crap.

You Cal fans disgust me, you really do. You were nowhere to be found when we were losing to South carolina, but here you are after a couple of wins. You're a shit fan. You only pay attention when UK is winning.
Dude, before you claim someone is or is not a Cal fan, you may want to do some digging in their posting history.

Look at my original response to you. Made it very clear I am ready for Cal to go. Look at some of my previous posts in other threads. Have made it very clear I am ready for Cal to go. So now you are 0/1.

Then you say if Cal were to win repeat titles, it would still be best for him to retire. In what world does a fan want a coach to retire after winning repeat titles? Heck, if UK miraculously wins a title this year (doubt it will happen), I will be driving the Cal train. Now you are 0/2.

Third, please point to anywhere in my post where I said UK would fail if Cal left. The fact that UK has won championships with 5 different coaches indicates we would clearly be fine in the long run. However, what I did ask was why run off a coach who just won back to back titles and replace him with someone who we have no idea if they will be successful? Anyone who would choose that route is insane. Now you are 0/3.

Unlike you, I am more than happy to change my mind on Cal if he wins big time again. Do I think it will happen? No. However, I would never be stubborn enough to run someone off after winning back to back titles just because I don't like him anymore. Now you are 0/4.

Why are asking a hypothetical question that you know won't happen? At this stage in Cal's career when he no longer has the will, the knowledge or the recruits to win anything you suggest he is capable of winning back-to-back NCs when he has never come close to doing it. You are really reaching and worrying about something that you will never have to worry about.
I am not the one who said I will never jump back on the Cal train. Life is funny. I have been shown that numerous times in my own life.

Like I have said in this thread and numerous others, I am ready for Cal to go. It has run its course in my mind. But I am not stupid enough to say I would never support him again.

Reactions: LmdCat
When has recruiting without coaching produced a championship? I guess you think banners are hung for best recruiting. Fans who think like you are the reason Cal gets away with his nonsense. You obviously must be a newbie and have no idea of Kentucky's past when teams feared playing UK. Now they are excited about playing us because they see it as a chance to kick more sand on us while getting the national attention they wouldn't ordinarily get. How about educating yourself about the team before posting more nonsense?
Exactly right LmdCat!!!
#1 recruiting class! Cal has achieved (6) #1 classes during his tenure at UK and has 1 National Championship and 1 runner up finish. What is the goal at UK, win recruiting classes or win games? Cal does not recruit to build a team, he recruits talent and hopes they become a team. I do not expect National Championships every year but do expect to see a fundamentally tough team that strikes fear in the opponent when we take the floor. Fan since 1969 and been to a lot of games and you could always sense the fear of the opposing teams fans and, I am sure, their coaching staff and players. That fear was evident up to 2015 but is now gone!

This season has been horrendous for the most part compared to our preseason feeling, polls, etc. We could very well still end up outside the tournament for which I cannot support. I’m not going to drop my expectations that just leads to this coach squatting in the position for however long.

If cal can get us firmly into the tournament, not limping or backing our way in rather playing our way to know by the last 2 weeks we are on. If cal can win a couple ncaaT games. I’ll be on board for one more season with the guy given the class he’s brought in. I’ll bring some excitement but my expectations will be through the roof.

One more season means TITLE oR BUST. We win a title and cal can stay a little longer. We lose in ff no way. It’s all or nothing. To be granted a mulligan for the past 3 trainwreck cal has to deliver a title. This year or next

If we do not get in or get bounced first round this year all bets are off he can take his class elsewhere.

Where are you at this point?

I am ready for him to go but realize unless he chooses to leave he is going to be here through at least next season so bitching and moaning about it every day is pointless.

I have said he needed to make the final four this season and win a title this or next season to get anymore time and stand by that.

Exactly right LmdCat!!!
#1 recruiting class! Cal has achieved (6) #1 classes during his tenure at UK and has 1 National Championship and 1 runner up finish. What is the goal at UK, win recruiting classes or win games? Cal does not recruit to build a team, he recruits talent and hopes they become a team. I do not expect National Championships every year but do expect to see a fundamental tough team that strikes fear in the opponent when we take the floor. Fan since 1969 and been to a lot of games and you could always sense the fear of the opposing teams fans and, I am sure, the coaching staff and players. That was evident up to 2015 but is now gone!
Excellent summation!

I am not the one who said I will never jump back on the Cal train. Life is funny. I have been shown that numerous times in my own life.

Like I have said in this thread and numerous others, I am ready for Cal to go. It has run its course in my mind. But I am not stupid enough to say I would never support him again.
I can understand to some degree both positions on this. At this point, I have just had enough. I just want him gone. He is just way too much drama. He simply sucks all the life out of the environment. If Cal quit in place after accepting a lifetime contract, it speaks quite loudly about his lack of integrity. How could anyone associated with UK ever trust him again?

I can understand to some degree both positions on this. At this point, I have just had enough. I just want him gone. He is just way too much drama. He simply sucks all the life out of the environment. If Cal quit in place after accepting a lifetime contract, it speaks quite loudly about his lack of integrity. How could anyone associated with UK ever trust him again?
I can understand what you are saying. In my mind, I wouldn't say Cal has quit since taking that contract. Has he gotten complacent? Perhaps. Has the game (especially offensively and with his substitution patterns) passed him by? Definitely.

However, I don't think he has quit. Every game since he has been here, Cal looks like he is going to have an aneurysm on the sideline while coaching. At his age, that can't be good for your health. Why do all that if you have quit? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Dude, before you claim someone is or is not a Cal fan, you may want to do some digging in their posting history.

Look at my original response to you. Made it very clear I am ready for Cal to go. Look at some of my previous posts in other threads. Have made it very clear I am ready for Cal to go. So now you are 0/1.

Then you say if Cal were to win repeat titles, it would still be best for him to retire. In what world does a fan want a coach to retire after winning repeat titles? Heck, if UK miraculously wins a title this year (doubt it will happen), I will be driving the Cal train. Now you are 0/2.

Third, please point to anywhere in my post where I said UK would fail if Cal left. The fact that UK has won championships with 5 different coaches indicates we would clearly be fine in the long run. However, what I did ask was why run off a coach who just won back to back titles and replace him with someone who we have no idea if they will be successful? Anyone who would choose that route is insane. Now you are 0/3.

Unlike you, I am more than happy to change my mind on Cal if he wins big time again. Do I think it will happen? No. However, I would never be stubborn enough to run someone off after winning back to back titles just because I don't like him anymore. Now you are 0/4.
We'll address it when your fairytale land hypotheticals come to fruition, but you can't sit there and say you're not a Cal fan and the program would die if he left when you create the extreme hypothetical that you created.

I mean, you literally said the replacement would suck. In my opinion, there aren't too many coaches that could possibly suck as bad as Cal has since the 2020 season when given the resources Cal has.

I am ready for him to go but realize unless he chooses to leave he is going to be here through at least next season so bitching and moaning about it every day is pointless.

I have said he needed to make the final four this season and win a title this or next season to get anymore time and stand by that.
Nobody is bitching and moaning. this is a discussion forum, where UK fans can discuss UK basketball with other UK fans.

What do you want us to do, sit here and lie to each other and act like nothing is wrong with the state of the program?

Cal is not the same guy he was his first 5 years here.

At this point, he can't do a press conference without taking shots at the fans, then, after months of crapping on the fans and trying to show us all how we don't know shit, he finally runs the lineup we knew was his best lineup since August, the cats beat UT, then he gets smug with us in his presser.

He still prioritizes the draft, he still lies to fans and he still runs an outdated system. The game has passed him by.

We can sit here and talk about fairytale land type hypotheticals, where Cal magically wills b2b titles all we want, but the bottom line is, he still went 9-16,
He still lost at home to Evansville
He still lost at home to Richmond
He still lost to Robert Morris
He still lost to St Peters
He still lost the all time wins lead
He still lost the ncaat wins lead
He still lied to us many times
He still prioritized the nba draft
He still kneeled
Shaedon Sharpe happened and Cal lied to the fans the whole time
He still called/calls us Basketball Bennies
He still lost to inferior teams in ncaat games in 2010, 2015 and 2019
He still screwed this season up

He can't take any of those things back.

Again, I would be ecstatic if Cal led this team to a FF and I would give him credit for a job well done, but he has been more than compensated for everything he has done and then some. He still did all those things listed above and he's not going to change, or adapt and Tshiebwe isn’t going to stay here forever. He’s washed up.

I’m the same place I’ve been the last 3 or 4 years.

Cal is a great coach. Great ambassador for UK. Cal is a good man.

Cal is going to be very hard to replace here.

But I’m done with the players first stuff. I want a coach at UK that puts the program first.

And I’m ok with that person not being as good as Cal. I just want the coach to play to win for UK.
Cal was a great coach.
Present Cal won't be hard to replace. What is he currently doing as a coach (not recruiter) that will be hard to replace?

It doesn't matter what Cal does going forward it won't erase his lack of integrity when he quit in place on the team after accepting a lifetime contract. Good people just don't do something like that. Whatever good he does moving forward will still leave him in a deficit considering the harm he has done to the UK program after the program handed him the keys. All the non-basketball stuff he has done is just garnish. It is simply trying to disguise a horrible entree.

Wanted him gone since 15. Haven’t wavered one bit. And won’t. He isn’t UK material. He should be up north where he came from. Obviously doesn’t understand the tradition here. Doubt he noticed a single rotting goal on the side of a smokehouse since he’s been here. Lots of old guys living on squirrels and hog brains know basketball better than Cal, and that’s the truth. They’ve seen it, and heard it through Cawood. We as a state, know good basketball. It’s not being played here now. Hasn’t been for several years. This post is a tribute to my dad and grandparents, who taught me Kentucky Basketball.

Cal was a great coach.
Present Cal won't be hard to replace. What is he currently doing as a coach (not recruiter) that will be hard to replace?
E8 in ‘19. Great team in ‘20 that didn’t get a chance to show.

‘21 was certainly terrible but also a a worldwide pandemic that maybe you heard of?

‘22 Cal took a 2 man team to a 2 seed. Blew out Kansas, Tennessee and UNC. Coached Oscar to NPOY.

This season again with a 2 man team we are rounding into form.

There is no one that knows basketball that will say Cal is not a great coach.

But you can have your opinion. It will not change mine.

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
I've said it before, but it's not even about national championships for me.

I want him to put the UK program first and give 100% of his energy, strategy, knowledge, focus, etc. into all that encompasses.

‘21 was certainly terrible but also a a worldwide pandemic that maybe you heard of?

‘22 Cal took a 2 man team to a 2 seed. Blew out Kansas, Tennessee and UNC. Coached Oscar to NPOY.

The way you justify losing and mediocrity, is hilarious.

2020 was not a great team, but nice try.

2021 might have had a pandemic, but two teams managed to damn near go undefeated and 68 teams made the NCAAT, we weren't one of them.

2 man teams my ass. First of all, both teams had/have very balanced rosters. This team has a returning NPOY, who's a better rebounder than most of us have ever seen, it has a 2 time SEC assist leader, a lottery pick guard, it has 3 elite shooters and has great size and athletesism. It damn sure has more weapons than South Carolina, Michigan State, Missouri and UCLA.

Cal has been outcoached by some really mediocre coaches that had less talent. Even Tom Crean outcoached him.

Just stop with your excuses.

He screwed this year up big time and he lost games by playing the worst lineups he could have played and it's because he plays favorites and he wants to prove he's smarter than everyone else. Well, now we're fighting for our NCAAT lives with a roster that is built to win a college title.
Then last week he called BBN “bandwagon fans” for calling out his bullshit and BEING RIGHT THE WHOLE TIME

You go ahead and continue believing your nonsense. I don't know of any coach in college basketball who has done so little with so much. I don't think there has been a single year when UK's recruiting class was less than top 3. More often than not UK had the number 1 recruiting class. So, if Cal was working with a 2-man team it was because he did nothing with the embarrassing wealth of talent that he had. Most teams' recruits live up their pre-college reputations, unlike Cal's recruiting classes.

As for Oscar becoming NPOY, that was more about Oscar and less about Cal. Oscar was determined to show Bob Huggins he was wrong about him and he was motivated for success to improve his family's living condition. If it wasn't you would have seen it from other Cal recruits. Most of Cal's recruits leave college not much better than when they arrived. Fortunately for Cal, that was good enough. Fortunately for the players, NBA scouts made decisions on those players based on their precollege days which is why they drafted them on potential more so than their college production.

I realize that you are entitled to your opinion, but just know most on this board aren't buying the nonsense you posted.

Last edited:
Then last week he called BBN “bandwagon fans” for calling out his bullshit and BEING RIGHT THE WHOLE TIME
Exactly. I mean, I knew he was a narcissist already, but that one just made me shake my head.

He truly thinks he figured something out that nobody else could have possibly known and is acting like he was right all along.

He has selective hearing, he hears what he wants to hear.

You go ahead and continue believing your nonsense. I don't know of any coach in college basketball who has done so little with so much. I don't think there has been a single year when UK's recruiting class was less than top 3. More often than not UK had the number 1 recruiting class. So, if Cal was working with a 2-man team it was because he did nothing with the embarrassing wealth of talent that he had.
Dean Smith...maybe. At least he got a second championship eventually.

Reactions: LmdCat
Exactly. I mean, I knew he was a narcissist already, but that one just made me shake my head.

He truly thinks he figured something out that nobody else could have possibly known and is acting like he was right all along.

He has selective hearing, he hears what he wants to hear.
I want this team to win because I genuinely like these kids. But at the same time it does annoy me that Cal would bloviate and take credit likely at the expense of the fans and the team.

Well you do know that he has been spending a lot of time and effort on the road recruiting------with GREAT results.

But you MIGHT be able to accomplish something-----hurt our recruiting.
That guy is too negative! He damages our program. Constantly trashing our players

Cal is very good at doing just enough to convince enough people that next year will be the year. It will be the return of greatness. This will be the year that we will all see the great pumpkin, Lucy will actually hold the football, and we will catch a glimpse of the real Santa. Each March we are incredibly disappointed by the realization that we were lied to again.
Stop being so negative!! You should be ashamed

Uhhh yeah, most people would complain if they were hung. Wtf kind of crap is that?

It’s funny, you were nowhere to be found when we were 1-3 in conference. Now, after 3 wins, here you are.

Truth is, we're on the bubble and unranked and here your dumbass is trying to attack people that know that’s not okay. F off.
I've been here the whole time.

LOL, what?

There are no rules to being a fan. You don't get to tell fans when they can call out coaching malpractice.

You good with 9-16?
You good with Saint Peters?
You good with losing the wins lead?
You good with losing the all time wins lead?
You good with losing to Evansville, Richmond and South Carolina at home?
You good with Cal talking down to the fans?
You good with kneeling?
You good with what Cal allowed Shaedon Sharpe to do?
You good with Cal prioritizing the NBA draft?
You good with zero ncaat wins in 4 years?
You good with zero ncaat wins over power 5 teams since 2017?

I'm not and neither should you. Don't come on here and act like there's no reason to call Calipari out.

What we have seen the last 3 years, is not Kentucky basketball and with NIL deals, these kids don't give a rip what we have to say.

Maybe if Cal actually developed his rosters over time, instead of recruiting entitled draft picks, we wouldn’t have to worry about losing recruits.
yes

This season has been horrendous for the most part compared to our preseason feeling, polls, etc. We could very well still end up outside the tournament for which I cannot support. I’m not going to drop my expectations that just leads to this coach squatting in the position for however long.

If cal can get us firmly into the tournament, not limping or backing our way in rather playing our way to know by the last 2 weeks we are on. If cal can win a couple ncaaT games. I’ll be on board for one more season with the guy given the class he’s brought in. I’ll bring some excitement but my expectations will be through the roof.

One more season means TITLE oR BUST. We win a title and cal can stay a little longer. We lose in ff no way. It’s all or nothing. To be granted a mulligan for the past 3 trainwreck cal has to deliver a title. This year or next

If we do not get in or get bounced first round this year all bets are off he can take his class elsewhere.

Where are you at this point?
Before this year, I was at this point:

E8 or better this year, F4 or better next year.

But now I'm right with you. Become the #4 team in the country from now through middle of March - show us and win the majority of the games. Make some noise in the SECT (even as much as Cal claims to hate it, make some damned noise). Get S16 or better in the NCAAT. Like you, after this year has started, I'll be barely fine enough to see what he can do with that #1 class next year.

But let me tell you. If we are sitting here in mid-January and Cal is again dropped out of the rankings, I'll be 100% done. I can't live with that kind of start to a season, every season.

Lets be real, we are in mid season and we've had both crap and super good wins....

We as a team are capable of both in the future.

Question is what adjustments can be made mid-game to prevent an avalanche during a serious game?

Coach Cal can coach, with a caveat...".when he wants to."

That’s the thing with Cal how many more chances is the fans going to give the guy. This year was supposed to be a championship or else. Then when he intentionally sabotages the program once again by playing lineups that’s are purposely losing games we have no business losing. We are now an outside tournament team looking in when we should be no where near where we are sitting right now. It just disgusts me that so many people keep falling for his shenanigans. If he would’ve just played the lineup that we had all wished he would’ve played we would be sitting at a 1 seed still maybe with 2 losses at the worse. I’m done with the whole let’s wait to next year to see what happens.

Look how far st. peters went last year?

Not saying we need a 1 seed but historically 1 seeds do well.

That’s the thing with Cal how many more chances is the fans going to give the guy. This year was supposed to be a championship or else. Then when he intentionally sabotages the program once again by playing lineups that’s are purposely losing games we have no business losing. We are now an outside tournament team looking in when we should be no where near where we are sitting right now. It just disgusts me that so many people keep falling for his shenanigans. If he would’ve just played the lineup that we had all wished he would’ve played we would be sitting at a 1 seed still maybe with 2 losses at the worse. I’m done with the whole let’s wait to next year to see what happens.
It’s so concerning to me that he didn’t understand what our best lineup was until we were 15 games into the season, PLUS the Bahamas games, PLUS all the fall practices they had before the season.

He’s supposed to know the game and know what works. "He's a hall of fame coach". Ugh, yeah, right.

It’s also concerning that he ignored the +/- numbers for Wheeler and Collins for 15 games and didn't see how badly they were killing this team.

He probably thought he was smarter than the numbers too.

It’s so concerning to me that he didn’t understand what our best lineup was until we were 15 games into the season, PLUS the Bahamas games, PLUS all the fall practices they had before the season.

He’s supposed to know the game and know what works. "He's a hall of fame coach". Ugh, yeah, right.

It’s also concerning that he ignored the +/- numbers for Wheeler and Collins for 15 games and didn't see how badly they were killing this team.

He probably thought he was smarter than the numbers too.
Exactly I mean another half a season just wasted because he’s trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I mean 9 million a year for that. He’s a decent recruiter but not a very good coach and it shows more and more every single year.

Talking about another thing that’s always blown up “Hall of Fame” sheesh seems like they hand those out just about to anyone anymore.

He has those Collins and Wheeler players every year though they are called Cal’s pets. I’m not knocking the players because I love any UK players that play here because it’s not their fault they are put into these situations. He rides with these players all the time even when it’s a detrimental to team success and he’s been doing it for the last so many years.

He just hates it when everyone in the media and the fans start letting him know he’s wrong . Cal never believes he’s wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT