ADVERTISEMENT

Haven't we seen this season before?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I don't post often on the Rafters as I am not much of a CBB fan anymore. I don't like Cal, I don't like the style of play, don't like OAD, etc. But, I do keep up with UKBB and pull for them. After the past week or so, I was struck by a thought - haven't we seen this same season many years in a row?

1. Highly acclaimed recruiting class
2. Preseason high ranking
3. Expectations of THIS year, we've got it all - great big men, great shooters, unworldly athleticism, a PG who can run this 'offense' that Cal wants, etc.
4. Early season wipeouts of poor teams increase expectations
5. SEC losses to teams we shouldn't lose to
6. Cracks in the facade of invincibility
7. Same old problems rear their head: a) puzzling/lingering injuries, b) no knowledge of playing/attacking a zone defense or effective press, c) incredibly bad out of bounds defense and nonexistent offensive out of bounds plays, d) games that deteriorate into one-on-one basketball and Cal does nothing, e) inexplicable personnel decisions and rotations, f) nights where we can't buy a FT, g) Cal pulling guys so often and so quickly that the team never seems to find a rhythm, h) a team that seemingly doesn't get any better as the season wears on, i) guards that get beat off the dribble consistently, j) 'soft' big men who are asked to play the 5 but are physically more suited for the 4, k) a growing acknowledgement that the 5*, OAD, superstars have very obvious holes in their game (lack of an outside shot, not a good defender, mediocre ballhandling, selfish, not very physical, low basketball IQ, et al), etc.
8. Reduced expectations and the growing sentiment that, once again, Cal's Cats won't make much noise in the NCAA tournament
9. Wild speculation as to who goes, who stays (who cares?)
10. Wash, rinse, repeat

This list seems to have been played out many seasons over the past 8-10 years and I just can get invested very much in UKBB anymore. Cal isn't going to change and I feel it's too much money to get rid of him, so I see nothing but several more seasons of the above until either Cal retires or his buyout is more manageable.

Am I completely off base?

classic-back-to-the-future.gif

I'm not gonna lump in 2017 and 2019 or even 2020 in that but overall I agree.

Cal hasn't been recruiting as well as he did first half of his tenure either and the rumors about the weakness of this year's class were true as well from what I've seen.

I hope he can come to an agreement. He isnt built for the NIL and transfer portal era and once he lost the edge on getting the best if best one and done he was toast.

Now 2017 or 2019 could have won a title. 2017 does if they beat unc IMO. Virginia had a team of destiny vibe in 2019 so think we would have lost to them.

I'm not gonna lump in 2017 and 2019 or even 2020 in that but overall I agree.

Cal hasn't been recruiting as well as he did first half of his tenure either and the rumors about the weakness of this year's class were true as well from what I've seen.

I hope he can come to an agreement. He isnt built for the NIL and transfer portal era and once he lost the edge on getting the best if best one and done he was toast.

Now 2017 or 2019 could have won a title. 2017 does if they beat unc IMO. Virginia had a team of destiny vibe in 2019 so think we would have lost to them.
I thought 2017 was winning it all, was crushed after that E8 game. I think 2019 hit their ceiling as an E8 team. I was never sold on 2020 like others, and get annoyed at Cal trying to bring them up when questioned about the last 3 years.

You’re 100% right on Cal not being built for the nil and portal era. Which is crazy to think about, because after Wright, Roy, and K retired; I thought everything was there for Cal to make another run. Oh well, I just hope we aren’t stuck with him much longer.

I admittedly know very little about what happens with the team during the season. But I've thought many times over multiple seasons, the team starts out hot, has a lot of fire and energy, and looks unbeatable early. Only to hit mid season looking tired. Tired legs, shots falling short, going from playing above the rim to batting the ball around under the basket till the other team finally grabs the rebound and then, not closing out on defense on the defensive end.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Sheppard, Dilly, and Z are being squandered. It's an abject mismanagement of assets by a coach who doesn't have a clue what lineup to run. This is a lost season and it's a real tragedy. If Cal had committed to them (as Z came available) we'd be a title contender. Instead, we are DEPENDENT on Cal REMEMBERING to put Shep and Dilly into the game, and he clearly doesn't remember Z at all. So we live and die by DJ's and Mitchell's shooting percentages and hope we get lucky when the two best guards on the team finally hit the floor.

This team is more entertaining than recent Cal teams. Shep, Dillingham, Reeves and Mitchell(bad game yesterday not withstanding) have carried us as far as we have gotten. Ugo and Z are recent additions to the list of players who are doing their share to make this as good of a team as it can be. If Thiero could stay on the floor he makes us better

Maybe 2 games in the SECT and thru the first week-end of the NCAAT is best case for this team right now

Wagner, Bradshaw and Edwards are question marks at best right now. I honestly don't think we get much help from them going forward

I think is is a better team than last year's edition but they are only about 75 or 80 % of what they could be. It is a funny feeling but the biggest reason I am looking forward to the rest of the season is that Cal will be that much closer to being gone from here. I'll watch the games on the edge of my seat as always but a lot of magic and essence that was UK basketball is gone.. It has been replaced with, can we hang on or how will we screw this up. You could see it coming last night even when it looked like we were going to pull out a win.

We are struggling to get wins against very average teams and if these teams stay close we are finding ways to lose.

I don't post often on the Rafters as I am not much of a CBB fan anymore. I don't like Cal, I don't like the style of play, don't like OAD, etc. But, I do keep up with UKBB and pull for them. After the past week or so, I was struck by a thought - haven't we seen this same season many years in a row?

3. Expectations of THIS year, we've got it all - great big men, great shooters, unworldly athleticism, a PG who can run this 'offense' that Cal wants, etc.
7. Same old problems rear their head: a) puzzling/lingering injuries, b) no knowledge of playing/attacking a zone defense or effective press, c) incredibly bad out of bounds defense and nonexistent offensive out of bounds plays, d) games that deteriorate into one-on-one basketball and Cal does nothing, e) inexplicable personnel decisions and rotations, f) nights where we can't buy a FT, g) Cal pulling guys so often and so quickly that the team never seems to find a rhythm, h) a team that seemingly doesn't get any better as the season wears on, i) guards that get beat off the dribble consistently, j) 'soft' big men who are asked to play the 5 but are physically more suited for the 4, k) a growing acknowledgement that the 5*, OAD, superstars have very obvious holes in their game (lack of an outside shot, not a good defender, mediocre ballhandling, selfish, not very physical, low basketball IQ, et al), etc.
8. Reduced expectations and the growing sentiment that, once again, Cal's Cats won't make much noise in the NCAA tournament
10. Wash, rinse, repeat

This list seems to have been played out many seasons over the past 8-10 years and I just can get invested very much in UKBB anymore. Cal isn't going to change and I feel it's too much money to get rid of him, so I see nothing but several more seasons of the above until either Cal retires or his buyout is more manageable.

What style of play do you like?

We have seen it before and while I'm not feeling so great about things now I still believe this team has the talent of the 2014 team and can't be counted out just yet.

A reminder: The 2013-14: team started 15-5 and finished the regular season 22-9, but made it to national championship game

We have seen it before and while I'm not feeling so great about things now I still believe this team has the talent of the 2014 team and can't be counted out just yet.

A reminder: The 2013-14: team started 15-5 and finished the regular season 22-9, but made it to national championship game
I agree but with Cal’s coaching he can mess up a wet dream.

Reactions: SemperFiCat

10. Wash, rinse, repeat

No you are on the same base as most UK fans. Of course, there are a few fans that still think Cal is our savior.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

I'm not giving up either but my hope has been slipping. I'm gonna need to see a UT win Saturday to erase the taste of bad coaching out of my mouth. Funny things happen in March though. Players get more focused because it's lose or go home. Taking off my Big Blue Goggles, that Wichita St game is the best tournament game I've ever watched. It had everything you'd want in a game. I didn't think that team had it in them but they beat some good teams and went on an unexpected run. This years squad is more talented than that one but we don't have a Randle on this team. He was unstoppable that season at the end.

There are exceptions like Reed (loved UK ) but recruits that are college basketball good and have that WINNING , give it all for winning mentality.. why would they come to UK to play for a coach that is a laughting stock in basketball scene? People in the basketball community are saying his good days are far behind him.

so I dont mean this as an attack on an individual player or more on this years team but the kind of recruits that is lured in by cal isnt the winning mentality kids, its the this one year doesnt mean much anyways... look forward to the NBA recruits.

I'll say this........ someone should punch cal in the face for sabotaging the program if he ever takes in another klutch kid

Reactions: UK19

This team is far more talented top to bottom. That's the real tragedy. It's a waste of a season. We have the talent to be a 1 seed and Cal is jerking us around.

Reactions: UK19
Sheppard, Dilly, and Z are being squandered. It's an abject mismanagement of assets by a coach who doesn't have a clue what lineup to run. This is a lost season and it's a real tragedy. If Cal had committed to them (as Z came available) we'd be a title contender. Instead, we are DEPENDENT on Cal REMEMBERING to put Shep and Dilly into the game, and he clearly doesn't remember Z at all. So we live and die by DJ's and Mitchell's shooting percentages and hope we get lucky when the two best guards on the team finally hit the floor.
Psssst, no one remind him that Sheppard and Dilly both played practically the ENTIRE GAME against Florida and we lost....don't tell him, don't ruin his foolish narrative...

Reactions: know1

Uh didn't we just play Shep and Dilly an entire game and lose to a mediocre team at home or am I on drugs?

10. Wash, rinse, repeat

It depends on who you ask. The optimizer fans haven't ever seen a season like this as they have some kind of way of purging their memory banks at the start of every season. 😉

Maybe CCC has some kind of secret mind control system like in the SpongeBob movie.

Reactions: gamecockcat
What style of play do you like?
I'd prefer if UK would play multiple defenses - some man, some zone, some hybrid - depending on the personnel on the floor. Cal's insistence that we play man 100% of the time is detrimental to the team, imo. Running an effective press would also be a huge benefit, imo, as, on paper, we're generally pretty deep and keeping the other team running while subbing in fresh players would reap benefits as the game drags on.

While this team is better than previous ones in recent years, there is still too much weave 30' away from the basket, very sporadic backdoor cuts, a lot of jogging through the defense until the shot clock is an issue, a lot of shots on the break where it's 1-on-5 or stopping and jacking a 3 with only opponents under the basket. There is too much reliance on one guy beating his man in half court sets rather than a well-thought out scheme being able to create open looks. Out of bounds plays are basically throw it to the near corner or lob it 35' away from the basket while our opponents get a cheap basket or two almost every game from similar situations. The insistence of having a 5 on the floor is old school, imo. There are times it's needed, but others where allowing our big to be outside the lane to create space in the middle would seem to be the better strategy. I don't want to see UK fall into the 3-ball trap where 40+% of our shots are beyond the arc. We should be better at running half court sets to get open looks from the arc but also from 10-15' and layups. For long stretches of games, it just looks like Cal has rolled the ball out and said, 'Go' without much game planning or strategy evident.

In general, with the athletes we normally recruit, I believe we should play more up tempo and force the opponents to adjust (this team definitely has had some games where this was done, not so much lately). Press/zone/half court trap/multiple defense might create a ton of turnovers and wouldn't be so easy for opponents to prepare for. Same thing for the offense - be able to create shots for the player(s) with a hot hand in half court sets. Run smart, effective out of bounds plays. Don't just look for a dunk or 3, take a 14' jumper when it's created out of the scheme. Coach the kids to be better, smarter, cohesive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT