ADVERTISEMENT

So what's the timeline for success before the plug is pulled?

Obviously you know I am very bothered by this hire. But I'd like to have it concrete about what's expectations and time before someone would acknowledge that it's a failure or a success?
Serious question. What team are you actually a fan of?

2nd question - how old are you?

Did you know that Hurley came to UConn with a tourney record of 2-4 and had a losing season his first year there. And the second and third weren't much better. What if they gave him 3 years and fired him? Answer - they wouldn't have these last two championships.

How about taking a deep breath and waiting until about Jan 1, 2025 before you add your next complaint or slam to this board?

Did you know that Hurley came to UConn with a tourney record of 2-4 and had a losing season his first year there. And the second and third weren't much better. What if they gave him 3 years and fired him? Answer - they wouldn't have these last two championships.

How about taking a deep breath and waiting until about Jan 1, 2025 before you add your next complaint or slam to this board?
---
The exact same attitude that got us the last 10 years of Cal.

3 years if it goes really south. If there is a glimmer of hope (S16) and no NITs then 4 years. He’ll basically get his full contract to make something happen and have us back in an E8 at least. Hoping he can get a higher caliber player here and combined w his style of Play that this ends up working. I just think there were a couple other options w higher odds of success before getting to Pope. But Pope was still in my top 10

Reactions: ganner918
Unless he tanks super hard in the first two years, I would say four year minimum. It will take at least three to get his players in place to run his system. If by year four he is still struggling then it's time to cut him loose.

Obviously you know I am very bothered by this hire. But I'd like to have it concrete about what's expectations and time before someone would acknowledge that it's a failure or a success?
Like from whom. The school? No one has ever done that and no reason to start now. The fans? Who cares.

Mitch gave Billy two years. He gave Kyra 4 because she won the tournament. He will pull the trigger quick and he gives time. I'm not super concerned this will go too long if it doesn't meet standards.

In the portal era and a clean slate to do his thing, the answer is about January of 26. Mid way through that second year I think we’ll be able to tell if it’ll work or not. Obviously he wouldn’t be fired mid season but that’s when we’d know.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Like from whom. The school? No one has ever done that and no reason to start now. The fans? Who cares.

Mitch gave Billy two years. He gave Kyra 4 because she won the tournament. He will pull the trigger quick and he gives time. I'm not super concerned this will go too long if it doesn't meet standards.
And Billy might have gotten 3 if he hadn't been such a train wreck off the court.

And we gave Cal the last 10 years of mediocrity and worse.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Two years. When this starts going off the rail, and it will, the fans won't be able to take it and someone will actually step in and do what's needed. All of the "I'll give him 3 years" people will be off the bus if this team doesn't win a tournament game next year.

Two years. When this starts going off the rail, and it will, the fans won't be able to take it and someone will actually step in and do what's needed. All of the "I'll give him 3 years" people will be off the bus if this team doesn't win a tournament game next year.
Hurley had a losing season his first year at UConn.

I think unless it's a train wreck similar to Elzy, he gets three years before you consider replacing him. Personally, I hope he does really well and I'll be supporting him like I have every other UK coach.

He’s reportedly getting a 5 year deal. I think that’s roughly the timeline the boosters and admin will give him. He’s not going to keep us going as a one and done NBA factory, so they’ll give him some time to get his system up and running.

Fans on the other hand, will get restless quickly if we’re non-competitive the first couple of years. Here’s to hoping that doesn’t happen.

• Sad
Reactions: RunninRichie
And this is why you cant get the so called "guy" to coach here. Dude hasn't even set foot on campus and you all are already talking about the negatives, when can we get rid of him etc.

Other than he hasn't won an NCAA tournament game, why can't he be successful here???

Offensive or defensive philosophies, recruiting, what is it???

I see a coach who plays the modern style, spacing, shoots the 3, lay ups, not much in the mid range. Looks like he develops guys. He won at Kansas last year , beat Baylor., beat San diego State, NC State, has been on the big stage. Have you even watched a minute of his teams play???

He loves UK, not the NBA, that what you all wanted. You wanted a more traditional roster, thats what he has/uses. You said about the other coaching candidates , when they won where they were it was OK, but just wait when they get UK resources, they will really win big, so why doesn't that apply to him???

I love the hire, I think he checks all the boxes minus the NCAA resume.....Loves UK, fun style, strong xs and Os(OB plays/sets etc) solid defensively, develops players and a functional roster and not the constant turnover, will put UK first and not the NBA(agents), will embrace the fans.

And this is why you cant get the so called "guy" to coach here. Dude hasn't even set foot on campus and you all are already talking about the negatives, when can we get rid of him etc.

Other than he hasn't won an NCAA tournament game, why can't he be successful here???

Offensive or defensive philosophies, recruiting, what is it???

I see a coach who plays the modern style, spacing, shoots the 3, lay ups, not much in the mid range. Looks like he develops guys. He won at Kansas last year , beat Baylor., beat San diego State, NC State, has been on the big stage. Have you even watched a minute of his teams play???

He loves UK, not the NBA, that what you all wanted. You wanted a more traditional roster, thats what he has/uses. You said about the other coaching candidates , when they won where they were it was OK, but just wait when they get UK resources, they will really win big, so why doesn't that apply to him???

I love the hire, I think he checks all the boxes minus the NCAA resume.....Loves UK, fun style, strong xs and Os(OB plays/sets etc) solid defensively, develops players and a functional roster and not the constant turnover, will put UK first and not the NBA(agents), will embrace the fans.
"Other than not winning a tournament game" lol

Other than not being able to do the most important thing for this job he's great!

yeah, give him this year and next, if he can't do something in 2 years that makes us believe then its time to clean house from the top

Other than not being able to do the most important thing for this job he's great!
Hurley had won TWO before the last 2 seasons, and those were both 1st round games at RI, ZERO at UConn. You don't think he can win here, tell me why, whats in his coaching DNA that will cause him not to be successful??

Hurley had won TWO before the last 2 seasons, and those were both 1st round games at RI, ZERO at UConn. You don't think he can win here, tell me why, whats in his coaching DNA that will cause him not to be successful??
I’ll save you the suspense…Pope is not Danny Hurley. Stop f*cking acting this is a grand slam hire.

its a new era - Mitch doesn't make the call

The NIL donors make the call now.

NIL is now the lifeblood of a sports program.

Cal would still be our coach if Craft was putting in money for him to get players.

So Pope will be coach as long as NIL donors are willing to give and he manages relationships with them.

Mitch wanted to give joker a 3rd year. So pope is getting at least that if it's up to Mitch.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Well, back then there was no NIL or transfer portal.

I think given there has been vivid proof that a coach can hit years 1 and 2 and immediately become competitive and make the tournament thanks to the NIL and portal. So those "give him time" folks are just living in the past.

As such, I expect instant results next year. Minimum make the tournament as no lower than he did at BYU last year (which I think was a 6 seed). Winning the first game would be fantastic and a huge feather in his cap as it would not only be his first ever NCAA win as a head coach, but to do it in his first year at Kentucky would be HUGE for our fans and his confidence.

Second year I would expect a dramatic ramp up to S16 or better.

Yes, I have high expectations, but that's thanks to the NIL and portal, and how we've witnessed other new coaches come out swinging in the new age of basketball.

Reactions: Fox2monk
2 yrs and out. At least for the next hire Donovan, Wright and Stevens won't be brought up obsessively.

This is correct. This has been the story at IU for the last decade. UK and Michigan football and all these programs are now wealthy social clubs.

The ADs are interested in profitability and the boosters are the #1 revenue source not the fans or winning. If you guys suck ass but the boosters get to have drinks with the coach and AD and invite their friends to hang out with Anthony Davis every now and then than they will be happy and giving and the whole thing looks like a success to the president.

Yeah, we’re just gonna casually gloss over that one. 😂 Sure it’s why we wanted the last guy gone and now hired a guy who has literally never won a tournament game but no biggie, he went to Uk 30 years ago. That’s what matters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT