ADVERTISEMENT

The Narrative is Changing...

Jun 28, 2007
Like many of us, I've been part of this board for a considerable amount of time, checking in almost daily for 17 years according to my profile.
(Maybe it's time for me to explore other interests! LOL)

But there's one thing I've been wishing for: regardless of whether we all agree on whether we've got the "right" coach or not, we need to come together as a fanbase and throw our support behind whoever it is.

Even if it's just to shift the prevailing narrative that paints us all as:
  • Overly passionate to the point of being irrational
  • Unreasonable with our expectations
  • Placing excessive pressure on the coach

I love(d) for Cal, Joe B., Eddie, Rick, and even Billy G (for a brief moment), but after years of falling short of our usual standards or even just reasonable expectations for a solid program, many of us felt it was time for a change.

I believe Cal received more leniency than others because of his past successes.
However, the loss to Oakland made even the national pundits realize that it wasn't solely the fanbase at fault. Our coach was underperforming to an alarming degree by Kentucky's standards.

Finally, we weren't being branded as unreasonable! HALEELUJAH

Yesterday, many echoed these sentiments.

However, as last night into this AM, I've noticed a shift in the narrative.

Many national commentators and radio hosts, as I listened this morning, began with the tired refrain of "who would want that job?" They're citing unreasonable expectations from the fans, too much pressure, and even politics.

I wouldn't want a coach who is intimidated by expectations, pressure, and so on.

Admittedly, some of our fellow fans have contributed to this reputation, but most of us understand that we are not the backward, unhinged hillbillies that I feel we often get labeled as.

So, I urge all of us to rally behind the new coach, get some NIL initiatives going, and show the college basketball world that we don't demand or expect perfection. We just want to be contenders, to be in that conversation.

I will support our new coach unconditionally for his first few seasons.

And, yes, like it or not this fanbase can be absolutely terrible. It’s not all of us. Just some. We had people who wanted Tubby gone in 1999. We had people who wanted Cal gone in 2013. We had people who thought Pitino couldn’t win the big the one in 1995.

Our passion and (sometimes) unrealistic expectations are what makes UK unique, but to pretend it’s always a positive would be disingenuous.

Radio show Two Pros and a Cup of Joe this morning started "they ran off a Hall of Fame Coach who would want that job." nonsense.

Why would anyone who is comfortable (i.e. Oates) want that pressure, they said.

Three weeks ago, national shows we seeing what we were finally and now we are RUNNING HIM OFF.

Sick of that shit.

Radio show Two Pros and a Cup of Joe this morning started "they ran off a Hall of Fame Coach who would want that job." nonsense.

Three weeks ago, national shows we seeing what we were finally and now we are RUNNING HIM OFF.

Sick of that shit.
Didn't we hear the same in 2009? ''they ran a title winning coach off. Who would want that job''?

Sick of that shit.

We are Kentucky. We bring the BDE. Let them talk.

This is why I don’t pay attention to sports media, they just need to fill air time or space. None of them would apply this same logic to their favorite program/team.

Also, we all pretty much accepted Cal was coaching here next season. He went out to find another job on his own, and even he is probably now questioning his decision.

who cares
I care that Mitch F's this up, we have to go through this crap again in two years in between allot of losing basketball on to be painted as the freaking irrational assholes AGAIN.

That kind of crap could be the death nail.

We all know that if we put the kind of suuport behind a good coach, sky's the limit.

I'm resinged to the fact that we will always be the Evil Empire and thats good. I just don't want to be the used to be Evil Empire.

Chicago yankee. I pay him 0 mind.

I'm a Chicago yankee by comparison to most on here, and I would sooner sht on his doorstep as listen to 1 syllable from that mouth. Detest everything associated with PTI and those that produce it.

The national media will always USE Kentucky however they see fit. They'll abuse UK when it suits them. There are more people in this country that hate us because they anus, then love the program. They'll buy anything that paints UK in a bad light and the press knows it.

They had it great for 5 years. They could hate on Cal AND UK at the same time. They were piling on this post-season while he was here, but now that they've done chased him off, they don't know wtf to do with themselves. Only choice is to attack Kentucky fans.

Having spent a lot of time in Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Iowa, Washington and Oregon, Virginia, Florida, Missouri and Arkansas, and a little in Texas, Georgia, and Montana, I have to say that I've seen more racism up north and out west than I've seen in Kentucky, and by many "races" of people. In fact, I've seen as much or more racism by minorities than by "Caucasians."

The only races in Kentucky are the human race and horse racing. The people that don't understand that are probably racist themselves.

What we need is to get back to understanding that it's US Kentuckians vs the world when it comes to UK sports. We can't let another coach divide us or put us at odds with our team, as Cal so often painted us once he started failing at his job.

Stop listening to the national media and reacting emotionally to it. They will ALWAYS pick on the little guy, and we have one of the smallest markets in the US. Stop reacting emotionally and be the REAL PEOPLE that ALL of us are, and let the world know it. Call em.out on it, if you have to, but otherwise just tune it out and turn it off.

I'm a Chicago yankee by comparison to most on here, and I would sooner sht on his doorstep as listen to 1 syllable from that mouth. Detest everything associated with PTI and those that produce it.

The national media will always USE Kentucky however they see fit. They'll abuse UK when it suits them. There are more people in this country that hate us because they anus, then love the program. They'll buy anything that paints UK in a bad light and the press knows it.

They had it great for 5 years. They could hate on Cal AND UK at the same time. They were piling on this post-season while he was here, but now that they've done chased him off, they don't know wtf to do with themselves. Only choice is to attack Kentucky fans.

Having spent a lot of time in Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Iowa, Washington and Oregon, Virginia, Florida, Missouri and Arkansas, and a little in Texas, Georgia, and Montana, I have to say that I've seen more racism up north and out west than I've seen in Kentucky, and by many "races" of people. In fact, I've seen as much or more racism by minorities than by "Caucasians."

The only races in Kentucky are the human race and horse racing. The people that don't understand that are probably racist themselves.

What we need is to get back to understanding that it's US Kentuckians vs the world when it comes to UK sports. We can't let another coach divide us or put us at odds with our team, as Cal so often painted us once he started failing at his job.

Stop listening to the national media and reacting emotionally to it. They will ALWAYS pick on the little guy, and we have one of the smallest markets in the US. Stop reacting emotionally and be the REAL PEOPLE that ALL of us are, and let the world know it. Call em.out on it, if you have to, but otherwise just tune it out and turn it off.
Great post. But are you from Chicago?

I will support our new coach unconditionally for his first few seasons.

And, yes, like it or not this fanbase can be absolutely terrible. It’s not all of us. Just some. We had people who wanted Tubby gone in 1999. We had people who wanted Cal gone in 2013. We had people who thought Pitino couldn’t win the big the one in 1995.

Our passion and (sometimes) unrealistic expectations are what makes UK unique, but to pretend it’s always a positive would be disingenuous.
Post like this are always the same, it is always others who are crazy and not the poster of this post. You guys are all the same. I am the only one who is not in that group of fanatics.;)

Reactions: Girthang
Like many of us, I've been part of this board for a considerable amount of time, checking in almost daily for 17 years according to my profile.

But there's one thing I've been wishing for: regardless of whether we all agree on whether we've got the "right" coach or not, we need to come together as a fanbase and throw our support behind whoever it is.

I love(d) for Cal, Joe B., Eddie, Rick, and even Billy G (for a brief moment), but after years of falling short of our usual standards or even just reasonable expectations for a solid program, many of us felt it was time for a change.

However, the loss to Oakland made even the national pundits realize that it wasn't solely the fanbase at fault. Our coach was underperforming to an alarming degree by Kentucky's standards.

Many national commentators and radio hosts, as I listened this morning, began with the tired refrain of "who would want that job?" They're citing unreasonable expectations from the fans, too much pressure, and even politics.

I wouldn't want a coach who is intimidated by expectations, pressure, and so on.

Admittedly, some of our fellow fans have contributed to this reputation, but most of us understand that we are not the backward, unhinged hillbillies that I feel we often get labeled as.

So, I urge all of us to rally behind the new coach, get some NIL initiatives going, and show the college basketball world that we don't demand or expect perfection. We just want to be contenders, to be in that conversation.
Not sure you can ever ask all fans to follow blindly. One thing for sure. We (many multiple people) all follow UK athletics. We (people) follow in our own unique way. Each of us has had many years dealing with our team. We have had ups and downs. Each of us might have had personal experiences with a staff member of the team we follow.
If UK were to hire Rick Pitino again (which I see 0% chance), I would stop following UK Mens basketball for good. I would not give them another chance. Even if Pitino were to leave after 1 year, I would not waste any more time with UK basketball (mens). I would follow all other UK sports. I had dealings with Pitino. That is my right as a fan. I have followed since I can remember (probably 1968./69) UK sports. The past 2 years are the only time (including BCG) that I stopped watching mens basketball live. Of course back in the day we did not get many live games, but listened to games, or watched tape delay on wkyt.

If UK hires any of the other names that have been mentioned i might not like the coach (Pearl / Drew to name 2) but I will give them a fair shot. If we were to knock it out of the Park, Hurley, Billy the Kid, Jay Wright I will be back to going to games and spending some $ on UK basketball.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer

This is awesome.......

Nailed it!

You make some good points.
Question: What would a coach have to realistically do here to EXCEED expectations ???
I would think most coaches, regardless of their ego, would have that as a goal and as motivation.

Reactions: AirRaid08
Is it 100 percent certain he's gone? Those Coaching Changes guys on Twitter saying there's cold feet. Wants to hire his son as an assistant which Mitch won't allow. Almost like he's wanting UK to fire him to collect that massive buyout.

• Angry
Reactions: Girthang
Great post. But are you from Chicago?

Uh... yeah. Still have family there.

(Edit- correction. Chicago area which is why i said "by comparison." Never lived in Chicago city limits, but worked in city of Chicago. I'm only a Chicagoan to people who lived outside Chicago.)

Last edited:
Is it 100 percent certain he's gone? Those Coaching Changes guys on Twitter saying there's cold feet. Wants to hire his son as an assistant which Mitch won't allow. Almost like he's wanting UK to fire him to collect that massive buyout.

For those that said Cal wasn't holding us hostage.... Hate to see we told ya so.

Interesting. After Kentucky lost to Oakland, many pundits were saying the exact opposite - how they could not believe that UK would hold on to Calipari after that embarrassing loss, how the fans should be outraged at the underachievement of the coach, etc,

What is happening now is an all out effort to make sure Hurley doesn’t bolt for Kentucky. They are East Coast people who want UCONN to stay relevant and they will do anything to keep Kentucky from getting a top shelf hire. These guys have never liked Calipari (except for the basketball coaches) and now they are going out of their way to defend him? Something’s fishy…

Lol, this is funny coming from you.

Last edited:
The narrative will NEVER change because while there is some truth, those that spout that nonsense are Kentucky haters.

Remember when Jon Scheyer felt the need to apologize to Duke fans while said fans pelted UNC with water bottles? Did Jay Bilas, Jay Williams, Dick Vitale etc, go on about the unreasonable nature of Duke fans? Of course not. Now imagine if that was UK feeling the need to apologize while fans threw stuff at UNC. For days the narrative would been to destroy UK.

Reactions: catzcan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT