ADVERTISEMENT

Haven't seen one "expert" pick UK to make Sweet 16

FishersBlue

All-American
Feb 9, 2005
Arizona being crowned as unbeatable by just about everyone. If UK beats Davidson, I really like their chances against AZ. Especially since no one is picking them.

Like our chances yes. Especially if we have Vanderbilt. But I have to say they are the favorite. They are one of 3 teams I wanted to avoid. The other 2 will likely play each other in the Sweet 16 (Duke & MSU).

I give us 45-50% chance w/ Vanderbilt, 35-40% without him.

Arizona is 27-7 and won a weak Pac-12. They’re really good, but aren’t some unbeatable juggernaut. Ayton is a freak and is a matchup nightmare for anyone on the court, but I’ll take Calipari coaching on the sidelines over Miller any day. Our guys will be ready to ball out!

To get there UK would need to beat Kenpom #1, Kenpom #4, and a hot Arizona team playing recently like a Kenpom #15. I could see UA and Cincy but UVA is on a different level this year. Of course they could get upset early like they always seem to, in which case a F4 for UK is a lot more believable.

We were going to be a hot team to pick before they put 3 power conf champs in one half of a region LOL. Seriously no other region even has 2.

It's crazy that quite possibly the 3 hottest teams in the tournament right now will have to play each other and be down to one by the Elite 8. There were a lot of people that said we will be a tough out, but none of them even pick us to go past the second game.

Arizona in a game against Kentucky in Utah or Idaho will have the fan advantage.... Guaranteed. Gonzaga fans are probably going to root for Arizona. 65% /35% fan cheer disadvantage I'd estimate.
refs will be for Arizona also. 8 vs 5. Knox will get 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes and Shai will have two fouls in the first 8 minutes. We know how this bullshit goes at this point.

I say at this point Arizona at tip will be favored by 6.
3 points for the home team and 3 points for the refs.

We need Wenyen to hit 7 threes again in this one to offset the referees cuz I know what they're going to do.

Last edited:
At some point VA's lack of pro talent will bite them in this tournament...like it always has. You need a couple of pros to win this tournament (unless you can ride one hot player to the title). If the Cats can make the Sweet 16 I really like their chances.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I love it! Cal likes us against the world!

Cal is very relaxed right now & that is usually good. "I like my team!"

Reactions: TexKat
Arizona in a game against Kentucky in Utah or Idaho will have the fan advantage.... Guaranteed. Gonzaga fans are probably going to root for Arizona. 65% /35% fan cheer disadvantage I'd estimate.
refs will be for Arizona also. 8 vs 5. Knox will get 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes and Shai will have two fouls in the first 8 minutes. We know how this bullshit goes at this point.

I say at this point Arizona at tip will be favored by 6.
3 points for the home team and 3 points for the refs.

We need Wenyen to hit 7 threes again in this one to offset the referees cuz I know what they're going to do.

I’m afraid you’re right about that. We might try to go right at Ayton in the paint to get him in foul trouble but the refs won’t call a damn thing on him, but on the other end they’ll blow the whistle if our guys breath on him. I won’t be the least bit surprised if at the 10-min mark of the first half Wenyen, PJ, Richards, and Knox all have 2 fouls.

Reactions: IbnSaran
I can't remember where I saw this, but there was a "panel" of about eight "experts" (none of whom I had ever heard of) that published their picks for the whole bracket. Three of them had Davidson beating U.K. in the first round.

4 of the 5 brackets by ESPN personnel that are up so far have Villanova winning it all.
Well they gotta pick someone...

But if UVA is the betting favorite, after watching way too many of their games over the years, I think a great Offense is the way to beat them. And Villanova's is the 2nd best (Wisky in 2015) of the past 17 years.

I can't remember where I saw this, but there was a "panel" of about eight "experts" (none of whom I had ever heard of) that published their picks for the whole bracket. Three of them had Davidson beating U.K. in the first round.
Yeah, it's kind of weird, almost like they're ignoring how much UK has stepped it up in the past few weeks (other than UF).

Is there some thread on RR talking about if UK is better with Vanderbilt on the bench? I don't watch UK enough to know if it's just coincidence. But we've had that same discussion about Bagley....just curious.

Just saw the Sports Illustrated expert picks. Seven people. Three picked Davidson over UK. Only one picked Kentucky over Arizona. I’ve looked at several websites today, I think those numbers are pretty representative of what you see generally.....

I guess I don't get the Arizona love. They have been playing a bunch of stiffs out in the worst P5 conference in the country and haven't really blown anyone out with the exception of one 28 point victory over Oregon State.
They beat USC, an NIT team, by 14 and in reality, the game was much closer than that.
Look at who they have played, I don't think they have played a ranked team in 2018. Arizona State was probably ranked when they played, but we now know that ASU is a dumpster fire.
here is who they have played this year:
USC (won by 14)
UCLA (won by 11)
Colorado (won by 16)
Cal (won by 12)
Stanford (won by 8)
@oregon (lost by 5)
@oregon state (won by 10)
@ASU (won by 7)
USC (won by 14)
UCLA (lost by 8)
@Washington (Lost by 3)
@Washington state (won by 28)
Utah (won by 1)
Colorado (won by 9)
@Stanford (won by 2)
@Cal (won by 21)
Oregon (won by 7)
Oregon State(won by 9)
@Colorado (lost by 3)
@Utah (won by 12)
ASU (won by 6)

Sorry, but that's a joke. We (and the media) crush UK for losing at South Carolina, how would we feel about losing to Colorado, Washington and Oregon? They haven't played a single team with a pulse since 12/9 when they beat Bama by 6. They did beat aTm on 12/5 by 3 at home. That's a good win, but nothing else screams WOW to me.
Everyone keeps saying Arizona is hot, well, they have won a bunch of games by 10-16 points to teams that aren't even going to make the NIT and actually lost a few to those teams.
I like UK's chances.

To get there UK would need to beat Kenpom #1, Kenpom #4, and a hot Arizona team playing recently like a Kenpom #15. I could see UA and Cincy but UVA is on a different level this year. Of course they could get upset early like they always seem to, in which case a F4 for UK is a lot more believable.

Another way to look at that is by the Sagarin "recent" numbers and note that #4 Arizona would have to beat #1 Kentucky and #3 Virginia just to set a matchup with #8 Tennessee.

Yeah, it's kind of weird, almost like they're ignoring how much UK has stepped it up in the past few weeks (other than UF).

Is there some thread on RR talking about if UK is better with Vanderbilt on the bench? I don't watch UK enough to know if it's just coincidence. But we've had that same discussion about Bagley....just curious.

There is a thread like that. I don't buy it, though. We went on a pretty nice winning streak with comfortable margins once Vanderbilt was fully acclimated into the lineup.

It's true that some others have stepped up in Vanderbilt's absence. But I think we need all hands on deck for a deep run.

Well, they all picked us over UNC last year and Indiana the year before, so maybe this is a good sign?

In all seriousness, experts are wrong, a lot. More ammo for Cal and our guys.

It's crazy that quite possibly the 3 hottest teams in the tournament right now will have to play each other and be down to one by the Elite 8. There were a lot of people that said we will be a tough out, but none of them even pick us to go past the second game.

If you believe Sagarin, we're 3 of the 4 hottest. Michigan being the other. Gonzaga 5th.

I don't understand why anyone thinks that Arizona is hot. They haven't beaten a ranked team in 2018 and have only beaten a bunch of NIT teams by 10-16 points, then actually lost to a few of those teams.
How is Arizona "hot"?

Reactions: ohiodon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT