ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
* That insufferable doosh Pat Kelsey is a "win the press conference" guy. I actually do think he'll be a solid hire, but he sure did put an awful lot of effort into making a strong 1st impression. I mean, the guy literally doesn't even own anything blue anymore lol. 🙄

Scott Drew just isn't that guy. He's balding. He's pretty boring. He doesn't really have the required minimum pieces of flair. The more I think about it, the more I like him. The guy just wins. I'd love for him to do it with a superstar swagger and an Armani suit, but it's just fine if he doesn't.

* Jones --> sources or not, you amplifying the video of Cal walking Paul in the baby stroller.......dayum. You've done the Lords Work. Thank you 👏👏👏

Paul. JFC.

* Elly:
reached 1st on an error, then advanced to 2nd. Stole 3rd, then came home on a single.
450-foot bomb to straightaway center.
single. scored from 1st base on a Santiago Espinal bunt and a throwing error.
Inside the park home run.

(I think I got that all correct. What I'm saying is that ole boy had himself a day)

* Yeah, you make Dan Hurley say no, but I just don't see how or why he'd leave the place he just won back-to-back titles at.

* Tejay Antone tore an elbow ligament off the bone, and will have surgery on Friday. Life ain't fair, man.

* Charlie Hustle

^^ New Pete Rose book out.

* Anyone in here win that $1.3 bill Powerball?

That clip of Cal walking down Richmond Road with an empty baby stroller was painful to watch. What a different man he is today compared to 15 years ago.

The poor guy did it for attention. When he got some he seemed like a socially awkward mental patient that got loose from the facility.

Cal has realized he came to UK for a reason. There is actually some value in UK. He may have been realizing it on that walk. Or he did when players wouldn’t show up to his crib. Either way it’s sinking in.

- I don’t necessarily agree with “make him say no!” Anyone who believes Hurley is going anywhere in college on the heels of B2B is a dumbass. It’s wasted energy. Now, Donovan - ok. Make a call. Otherwise, the list should have always been Oats, Drew and maybe Lloyd.

- Drew’s coaching is well-respected around the country by colleagues and the nerds. Again, itself Baylor. You think Kentucky doesn’t raise his ceiling? Come on. He’s an underrated recruiter and excellent talent evaluator. We’d be in good hands, although I believe Oats could have gone on a Pitino/Cal run here.

I really don’t think Mitch wanted to try and make the new young hire that would ideally be UKs coach for ten years again. Too risky, make the guaranteed “good” hire and let the next guy swing for the fence.

-You guys making me take up for Mags? Come on. To his credit I heard the same "weirdness" vibes chatter starting around noon from multiple people. Then of course the "no comment" video. Believe WS saw Brad at Whole Foods yesterday casually shopping with a man-purse. That whole staff had/has no self-awareness. Why are they bouncing around town after the Sunday night shenanigans? GTFO, weirdos. Take your Klutch crew with you.

-Hurley didn't exactly say "no." But, yeah, I never thought it was realistic.

-Drew being 100% opposite of the complete mind f*ck psycho we just endured for the last 8 season is FINE BY ME. Give me some boring press conferences. Some well coached basketball. Players that develop being played in their correct positions. You can have the vindictive grumpy old men. Same people that don't want Drew are some of the first that wanted Cal gone. K. Make up your mind. You want a basketball coach OR do you want a charlatan? Because if I see another scenario where we have scorers like Shep and Dilly sitting behind Edwards and DJ I will honestly give up the sport.

-You'd think today and tomorrow will give some pretty good clarity. So buckle up. Again, shouldn't get past Pearl. A backyard cookout with Aaron Craft and his douchey rosy cheeks 15 years ago shouldn't prevent him from being the coach. Cal had F4s vacated.

-Just an FYI, I'm not GYERO LAWBALL, but abiding by a contract when the other party isn't, is typically pretty good practice. Some of you all are f*cking idiots.

-Jelly of UCONN. Gross.

Last edited:
Do people like Jay Williams & Seth Greenburg (I know their buddies) try and been dumb? They see the results and say UK will regret this!

Why, have they not seen the results? Do they want us to be bad?

They said Cal & Mitch weren’t on the same page… no shit! Whose fault ws that? Probably the guy that said you can’t fire me get bent I’ll do as I please.

I just don’t see how they can feel that way at this point.

That being said, Greenburg could very well be rig he the Arkansas will be in a FF while he’s there. Whatever don’t care.

- I'd just like to interrupt the coaching search/Reds talk to say that we were #blessed to have Ian Eagle on the mic for the sport's premier weekend. I mean, he was FANTASTIC. Still wish Grant Hill would be ushered into the portal, but Eagle injected exactly what he needed to. He was great.

- Seeing way too little nuance regarding this search. You can want Hurley/Oats AND think that Drew would do a great job here as well. They're not mutually exclusive. He's a great floor. The only names I've seen on any serious lists who I would have reservations about are Sean Miller and Shaka, and both of those are moreso about personality fits than coaching acumen. But all the other major players? I'm good with 'em all.

- One last thing about Drew. Again, he's not my first choice. But he had one of the two best teams in 2020. Won it in 2021. Has turned unknowns into lotto picks. Has banged out a bunch of wins against Self and the rest of a great league. The final box he needed to check, IMO, was the ability to recruit 5-stars, and he's done that with Walter and Edgecombe (who would come here with him, by the way). Plus, and I know this is minor, but still....his coaching tree is already doing well....McCasland at Texas Tech, Tang at K-State, etc., which means that he hires GOOD COACHES who know what they're doing, instead of yes men. If he's the floor, we're golden.

- Being in the path of totality was amazing. Obviously don't need to rehash it, but I'm so glad I was in that part of the country and got the full experience. And my kid was with me...an experience we'll remember forever.

Last edited:
I hope for most people that have reservations about Drew by saying, yes, he's a solid hire but he can't be your first and only choice. Do I know that to be accurate? Absolutely not. But I keep seeing it mentioned and it rubs me wrong.

We keep saying Drew is a great floor (and he is) but thats only if we already reached for the ceiling, imo.

You asshats comparing him to Barnes and BCG are messing up my nuance.

Reactions: roguemocha
In theory, shouldn't the sign should be facing their house if it's for him/them? If it were facing the public, it would be them thanking Kentucky.

We came back from an Emery envelope. If we get somebody that can take a program from from where Baylor was to an eventual national title with players that play hard and seem well coached... then sign me up.

Drew will be ok but I fully expect a ceiling just above Tubby. 22-8 every year with sweet 16’s. At least we’ll win two games now. Calipari will leave a stink too. I doubt he sucks us off at Ark the way he did Memphis teams here at the start.

Should back up a dump truck of cash at Oats or Donovan. Hurley wasn’t happening if he won. He won. He ain’t leaving.

Drew will be ok but I fully expect a ceiling just above Tubby. 22-8 every year with sweet 16’s. At least we’ll win two games now. Calipari will leave a stink too. I doubt he sucks us off at Ark the way he did Memphis teams here at the start.

Should back up a dump truck of cash at Oats or Donovan. Hurley wasn’t happening if he won. He won. He ain’t leaving.
Every indication is we're preparing to offer Hurley the richest contract the sport has ever seen. It's not just Drew.

I agree Hurley is the longest of long shots, but his comments last night made my ears perk up (from 0% chance to 5% chance). He was dismissive, but not definitive, talked about being into the history of the game, etc.

I don't believe Oats just flat said no. There's just no way that guy wants to coach Alabama basketball over Kentucky basketball. I think Mitch has his man (probably Drew).

Reactions: Ron Mehico
It’s like some of you don’t add the UK basketball factor into it. Any coach, that isn’t a drunk, will do better at UK than they did at their last stop. Drew + UK will be really good. So would about 50 other options.

We are a machine and just need a competent/sober coach to run it.

There is a reason RP still regrets it. Hell, Cal regrets it 24 hours later.

The only people who paid for that Card My Yard sign is the owner or with the owner’s permission. Again, it’s just sad. He wants to be loved so badly. But he turned us against him with his mental illness.

The only pitch to Hurley (who is the longest of shots, but still...you have to) is the same pitch that got that VT women's coach to Kentucky. College sports is headed towards (if it isn't there already) a two-headed monster where it's the SEC and the Big Ten and then everyone else. And if you want to continue to win at the highest level, you have to do it at a place that will best position you to do so. That's in one of those two leagues.

Again, that's the only hail mary you can throw at Hurley. He has everything else he could want...right now. But in 3-4 years, that may no longer be the case.

I want Hurley because it means we get Bob Hurley, Sr. And I've loved that guy for 30 years. Go watch "The Street Stops Here". Just an amazing story.

I agree in theory, but then we wouldn’t be looking at a losing season and two first round exits lately. Clearly you need some competence. Our coaches damn near become institutions. In Kentucky, it’s Jesus then our basketball coach and when he’s winning, it might just flip.

Reactions: roguemocha
The only pitch to Hurley (who is the longest of shots, but still...you have to) is the same pitch that got that VT women's coach to Kentucky. College sports is headed towards (if it isn't there already) a two-headed monster where it's the SEC and the Big Ten and then everyone else. And if you want to continue to win at the highest level, you have to do it at a place that will best position you to do so. That's in one of those two leagues.
I disagree in one respect… the Big East hasn’t had anything in football for years, yet UConn keeps winning basketball titles.

I see some of you all don’t live in WASPy middle class neighborhoods that’s have those signs in someone’s yard every other week wishing Riley or Maddox Happy Birthday.

Sure the person it’s intended for is inside the house but how would everyone else know you spent $200 for someone to put corrugated plastic in your yard for 24 hours

All I care is that Barnhart is NOT turning up his nose at some potential candidates like he did back when Tubby left.

The only exceptions are for guys who's personality would never work at UK. For example, don't hire an alcoholic Texan who is a goddamned weirdo.

The longer Cal stays quiet about this Arkansas situation, the more I worry about when it will become official. I need an official statement today. Does he have buyer's remorse or something? Mindlessly walking up and down Richmond Rd with a dog stroller. His son handing out in a grocery store. What the hell is going on?

I mean, I don't think there's any way he could go 180 (maybe a 360 in this context?), pull a George Costanza, and just show back up to work like nothing ever happened. I know these things take time and the contract probably has a bunch of law stuff to go through, but the mf'er wanted out . . . so get out! Do not pass GO (Or Chinoe intersection), do not collect 200 (at Romany Kroger) and take your asses to Walmart, you tone deaf sonsabitches (not you, Ellen. You cool).

Cal is a waffling and his relationship with Barnhart is so fractured, he has still yet to contact Mitch. He contacted Prez Eli, and Eli told him to contact Mitch. Still hasn’t. The man has nuts to try and negotiate…wants Brad on staff, new practice facility and some restructuring of NIL for hoops. He still doesn’t grasp how much the fans/boosters are done with him.

If that idiot was trying to use Arkansas to get his son on staff or some “NIL fund” he’s more ill than I realized.

As far as NIL goes? If he wants that all he has to do is hire competent assistants and an NIL
guy.

Oh wait, he had Besiner. The guy left for UNC. A UK fan left for UNC. Jesus, Cal.

The truth is he should retire. He’s not fit to coach D1 basketball.

Last edited:
I see some of you all don’t live in WASPy middle class neighborhoods that’s have those signs in someone’s yard every other week wishing Riley or Maddox Happy Birthday.

Sure the person it’s intended for is inside the house but how would everyone else know you spent $200 for someone to put corrugated plastic in your yard for 24 hours

You're on a sports message board where 95% of the posters are men. Do you think it's men who came up with this? Do you think it's men who want to pay $200 for someone to put this in our yard? Take your complaints to Facebook, cricket.

-I too firmly believe Cal is like “WTF did I just do?”

That “I’m mad watch this! Uhhhhhh whoops!”

-Women with 18 million watching wow. Pretty cool.

That being said, I think viewership drops off dramatically and all the social media gals that are like “bout time we got some respect!” will be sadly mistaken and honestly they’re not going to watch as much next year either.

Super fun year though.

-Day off, 83 and sunny this afternoon, sounds like a dog walk and pool day.

Man, still can’t believe Cal is done. How surreal. From just a feeling of pure purgatory for however long, to pure excitement. We would’ve had a damn 16 year old as our starting 4 next year NO MATTER how he played next year FFS.

For as much shit as I’ve given Cal he’s leaving Kentucky STRONG, probably as strong as anyone outside of Pitino. We were a 3 seed and in the headlines all year, with a ton of NBA players and still lots of talent if the new coach can convince anyone to return

It’s also about as strong of a time to recruit a new coach with UK basketball due to conference realignment and Kentucky being the alpha in top league with the most money and resources which is HUGE. We’re currently talking about Donovan, Hurley, and Drew who have FIVE titles between them when the last time we hired a coach when UK was this strong was Tubby and we were ecstatic because he had been to A SWEET SIXTEEN. And guess what? He still won a title. Enjoy it fellas, this is a great time to be a UK fan

Okay I've talked myself into it. We're getting Hurley.

He has the ego that would make him want the pinnacle job.

He's danced around the topic when asked.

UConn apparently had trouble getting him his most recent raise and had to go to the state legislature to get approval, per a poster on HOB, anyway. I'll take it.

Per Sisk, we're throwing the bank at him. Doubt they'll be able to match.

He joked about retiring after winning this one, which suggests he might be ready to move forward, as he's done enough at UConn.

Pitino moved on in the middle of his run. Donovan did the same after back to back titles. Cal stuck around in one spot too long and it went sour.

Let me dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT