ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a golfer and not great at long form posts but when people say that nothing can prepare you for Augusta National it’s 1000% the truth and lives up to its bucket list status.

Coolest thing was once we got done in the pro shop and eating a quick breakfast we entered the course to see Tiger coming up the hill on the 18th with a gallery following him. Watching him practice the 18th green and was about 5 feet away when he headed out.

Walked most of the course before lunch and the hills, the depth of the bunkers, the break of the greens, how some holes are right on top of each other can’t be comprehended from pictures and on TV. Every time we turned around we were with Scottie Scheffler and an amateur and the amateur was killing it.

Food is good but it’s still just cheap sandwiches on white bread. Pimento cheese is distinct but not my favorite ever. Best thing I had was the chicken salad. Funny to see things like “Diet Cola” “Sports Drink” “Caffiene Free Lemon Lime” “Light Domestic” and the Moon Pies of all things gets full advertisement.

Spent a while sitting around the 16th watching players skip it. Probably the best place to park it on a practice day, get to see people have fun as much Augusta allows.

Finished the day following Phil and Bubba for a few holes since my FIL is a Phil fan.

It’s pretty amazing how efficient everything is run. Besides going to the Pro Shop first thing and waiting over an hour in line everything kept people moving constantly. There’s thousands of checked merchandise bags and once they scanned my tag they had my bag to me within 30 seconds.

The first trip is definitely special but you’ll immediately want to go back make the next trip better with everything you’ve learned.

Thanks for the in-depth breakdown. I never get tired hearing/reading those, even though they are all mostly the same. The two most consistent themes being, TV will never do justice to: 1) just how extreme the changes in undulation are; and 2) how green everything is.

I will get there one day.

Reactions: roguemocha
Oh yeah it’s sounds so stupid but the grass is unlike anything I’ve seen before, and there’s acres and acres of it. Just meticulous.

Also everyone say a prayer for Jim. This note was on all the info boards around noon and he still hadn’t called when we left.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Every time Rafferty does that god awful “man2man” to start a game it is like nails on a chalk board to me. I like him ok otherwise even if the other 2 guys constantly give him hell.

• Angry
Reactions: DNOKAT
Is there any evidence Mitch even attempted to talk to anyone else? Pretty easy for Oats to say no if he got word it's Drew and he never got a call.

Feels like the fan base was ready to explode for a new hire and the balloon got popped.

If it’s Drew I consider this a win. Get rid of cal, save a huge chunk of money in the process. Get a proven coach in here quick that can cobble together a team for next year. May be able to hang on to a few of our players and maybe bring a few of his along. Don’t really see how you can expect better.

So Donovan was the Bill Parcells of this Mitch Coaching Search?

Still one of the lowkey funnier moments of UK sports in the 21st century

From the Dallas Morning News: A note written by columnist Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News … “Bill Parcells said he considered taking the University of Kentucky coaching job before coming to the Cowboys. Parcells would have had a better quarterback at Kentucky, Jared Lorenzen, than he will with Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson.”

Drew has three 5-Stars signed and VJ had us in his final three. I think he could very quickly assemble a damn good squad.

Also, if Wright, Oats, and Donovan are not options, who else is realistically out there?
This is my line of thought. Who else would we be reaching for? Underwood? Hoiberg?

Drew built Baylor from the burned rubble left after one of the greatest scandals in NCAA history. He flew once probation and recruiting restrictions expired.

He has been coaching for awhile and has clearly built strong relationships with the player producing networks. Given what happened at Baylor and his years of experience, he is as well suited to get early results.

His hair isn't as nice as the "sexier" options. That has something to do with the tepid response to his potential hiring, I'm sure.

Last edited:
If it’s Drew he has two current FR in Missi and Ja’Kobe Walker along with the #3 recruiting class.

If that played a role for the hire besides the obvious it makes sense.

Drew is a solid hire, and comparing him to Tubby for me is forgetting why we were sick of Tubby and that was 100% he couldn’t land players which led to his struggle and consistent 10 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT