ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're stuck on a second or third tier NBA prospect treadmill. Because we can no longer sign the top few in a class, we're stuck replacing Kevin Knox with Keldon Johnson level guys every year. They are good freshman, but they aren't going to be major difference makers like Randle, Cousins, Wall, AD, MKG, etc.

-- Free throws, man. Killed us the last 2 years in our exits. 5 for our last 13 in the game.

-- 3-point shooting. 5 for 21, and many were wide open looks.

-- Second half blahs. Two straight games we built double digit leads and gave them up. Had to nut up to win one and force OT in the other. Cal trying to shorten games when ahead isn't going to work with a point guard with a questionable handle, shaky decision-making, and an undependable shot. Hagans has a lot to fix this off season, but I have no problem if he bounces and Quickley and Maxey are our guys.

-- Somebody please convince Herro to stay.

Anybody showing up on draft boards is leaving.

Only returnees will be Quickley and EJ. Maybe Richards if he doesn’t transfer.

And Baker seems to hate it here, based solely on body language when I see him on my TV. I would be shocked if he is here next year, which sucks.

--Maybe it's just the brown water talking, and it's been flowing pretty freely since about 4:30 Gods Time, but Cal is a MKG block away from being 0-10.

--Cal is starting to remind me of Joe B. Some of you old timers may be able to relate. Gets the best players, but just cant quite get the job done. I know, i know, Cal has been to more Final 4's but the results are the same. Neither apparently want to let their guards shoot (old joke)

--No matter how old i get it still hurts when the season ends in this fashion. Lose to Carolina in '17 on a last second shot, while playing their ass off is much easier to take than losing when we play like shit in a game we should have won

-- I've said the last 4/5 years but next year I will refuse to believe the hype and Cal's early season BS, so as not to get my hopes up but that will probably only last a week or two. Why we do this, I suppose.

--GO CUBS

Crying.gif

Between an all conference grad transfer, an SEC POY candidate, great outside shooting, and a very good freshman class, Cal had all everything you need to make a title run this year.

And the only thing between us and a FF is touching Auburn. Ugh.

Criticize the “elite” talent all you want, but this team had championship makeup. We just blew it.

If you're Quickley, WHYTF would you hang around and let bum ass Hagans get all that undeserved run?

Go to Maryland, work on your handles/frame and run the show in 2021. Eff this noise.

No one is being unleashed, here. It was the same effing set over and over. SET. No free flowing system allowing players to make plays. Just micromanaged YOU GO HERE, SET THIS SCREEN, MAKE THE ENTRY PASS TO PJ "offense".

Awesome shit, Cal. Playing not to lose got you beat -- again.

Last edited:
If you're Quickley, WHYTF would you hang around and let bum ass Hagans get all that undeserved run?

Go to Maryland, work on your handles/frame and run the show in 2021. Eff this noise.

No one is being unleashed, here. It was the same effing set over and over. SET. No free flowing system allowing players to make plays. Just micromanaged YOU GO HERE, SET THIS SCREEN, MAKE THE ENTRY PASS TO PJ "offense".

Awesome shit, Cal. Playing not to lose got you beat -- again.
I agree the best we looked all year was when Cal was setting on the top row - he gets so tight in the tourney his players sense it

Reactions: Mashburned
This team neither won regular season conference, nor conference tourney. Beat a shit Kansas and defensively challenged UNC team. Not a dominant team.

But we shouldn’t have lost to Auburn.

Very UCONNesque loss similarities. Losing to higher seed hardass midget guards/box o rocks teams.

Cal should consider staff changes.

Reactions: Stoneule
F*ck the Dan Wolkens who excoriate Cal but give K a pass for no Final Fours since 2015.

And f*ck all the Zion slurpers who claim he's the best freshman ever. Anthony MF'n Davis won a title and every single NOP Award that year that didn't involve Dana O'Neill or Pat Forde's biased asses. Hell, I'd take Durant's freshman year over Zion's.

But I do love Charles Barkley. That would be something for him to see them cut down the nets in Minneapolis. And for Vols fans, too.

Two years in a row we have lost to a team with their best player on the bench.

Can we just get a decent big guy that can block some shots? How sickening is it seeing a 5’8 point guard finish layups at he rim in half court sets meanwhile our five star guard looks like a little leaguer once he gets within five feet of the rim.

F*ck the Dan Wolkens who excoriate Cal but give K a pass for no Final Fours since 2015.

And f*ck all the Zion slurpers who claim he's the best freshman ever. Anthony MF'n Davis won a title and every single NOP Award that year that didn't involve Dana O'Neill or Pat Forde's biased asses. Hell, I'd take Durant's freshman year over Zion's.

But I do love Charles Barkley. That would be something for him to see them cut down the nets in Minneapolis. And for Vols fans, too.

Clay Travis eviscerating Cal this morning as the most overrated coach of the past 10 years along with Jim Harbaugh. Used the stat that Cal has had 25 first round picks since 2010 and K and Roy have a combined 27 during the same time period. Cal with 1 title, K 2 titles and Roy 1.

He is obviously trolling BBN, but......

GOOOOOOOO!!!

Stomps foot. FIST UP. Stomps foot. Rips into players tearing their heads off after making a mistake. Herro was shook.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Once again Cal caused our kids to play tight on offense in the tourney. It’s a not damn coincidence Herro was ice cold (ala Booker, Murray and Monk)and we shot 5/21 behind the arc and 12/21 from the free throw line.

Cal doesn’t need yes men. He needs someone with some cred and coaching chops to tell him he needs to fix his philosophy and approach.

Not to go all wcc here, but Herro isn’t ready to be a pro. He is NOT the next Booker so chill on that. At this point, Herro has no transcendent skill set in his repertoire. If he decides to go early, best of luck. But life is going to be awfully tough and cruel for him in the NBA.

Quickley is better than Hagans right now. He brings much more to the table than Ashton. If Ashton is thinking about leaving (glad those thoughts were going through his head 20 minutes after that performance of his yesterday), the Cats could experience some addition by subtraction. Hand the keys to IQ and we’ll be fine. I think that kid could have a big sophomore season if he’s here.

Another kid that can blow up next season (if he’s here) is EJ. That kid improved his defensive feel this year and has a stretch-4 skill set. Add about 15-20 pounds of pure muscle and he will emerge as a star.

Put any 2 of those 3 into a focal point on next season’s squad and sprinkle in some of that freshman talent. If all 3 of those guys return, we’ll be set up. Guess we’ll wait and see!

Strokin...ending generational poverty. Atkot.
That is the important thing to remember. Our Kentucky Wildcats are contributing to a very strong economy and a lot of mamas will soon have new houses, friends of the family will get new wheels and Uncle Joe might even get a new gold tooth he so desperately desires. Life is good.

Reactions: UKGrad93
GOOOOOOOO!!!

Stomps foot. FIST UP. Stomps foot. Rips into players tearing their heads off after making a mistake. Herro was shook.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Once again Cal caused our kids to play tight on offense in the tourney. It’s a not damn coincidence Herro was ice cold (ala Booker, Murray and Monk)and we shot 5/21 behind the arc and 12/21 from the free throw line.

Cal doesn’t need yes men. He needs someone with some cred and coaching chops to tell him he needs to fix his philosophy and approach.

Herro was streaky AF all year. He ended up at 35% for the season- 20 F’ing percent in the NCAA. He was never who his fanboys claimed. Never who we wanted him to be.

Look at the numbers.

EJ > Montgomery. He’s not the Thane of Yorkshire, or some such. If I have to type out Montgomery all of the time, I’m gonna put “Sir” in front of it. Actually, Sir Montgomery sounds pretty dope.

And Ashton . . . well, dude doesn’t “look” like an Ashton. Definitely plays like one though.

- Quickly was 1-6 yesterday. Love the kid but he didn’t exactly show up either.

- :joy: Poor Tyler. Even his 20% in March performance wasn’t his fault. My gawd.

- So- let me get this straight- tired of being too young all the damn time but Hagans sucks and we don’t GAF if he leaves. Ok.

I'm sure I beat a dead horse with this, but ...

Texas Tech

- Shoots 37% as a team from three-point range
- Three players (playing significant minutes) shoot 40% or better from three-point range, with another shooting 38%

Virginia
- Shoots 41% as a team from three-point range
- Four players shoot 40% or better from three-point range, with another shooting 36%

Auburn
- Shoots 38% as a team from three-point range
- Three players shoot 40% or better from three-point range, with three others shooting 37% or better
- Leads the country in three-point makes

Michigan State
- Shoots 38% as a team from three-point range
- Three players shoot 40% or better from three-point range, with two others shooting 35% or better

Shooting matters, folks. I don't give a shit what your "philosophy" is, if you can't hit perimeter shots, you're going to the house more often than not.

Well, that sucked.

*You’re an idiot if you want Cal replaced. But a shakeup on staff is in order, imo. Ideally an experienced offensive mind that Cal respects. We are soooo easy to scout. By the end of the year teams were meeting KJ and Herro at their spots in the offense before they even made their cuts, just waiting on us. Playing an experienced, well coached squad for the third time was a recipe for an upset.

*Nothing came easy on offense for this team after Hagans got scouted. Nobody got to the rim consistently...a PJ jump hook was about the closest thing we had as a “go to” and even that was dicey because we were terrible at entry passing.

*I felt like PG play and turnovers would be our downfall, it really made us vulnerable.

*I’ll take anyone back that wants to come back assuming they aren’t a cancer in the locker room. Continuity is a good thing, necessary if you aren’t signing the Zions of the world.

*WCC is going to throw a fit but what a disappointing year from Keldon. He was billed as a top 10 pick, wing slasher. MKG with a J. Great kid, plays hard and I would love to have him back. But life will be tough in the league until he works on his lateral quickness and handles and learns that he’s more Paul Pierce than Michael Jordan.

*Who knows with Herro. He has a place in the league but really needs to change his body and become less streaky from deep. I think he and Keldon are in that spot where they will be guaranteed 1st round but have a lot of potential to move up next year.

*Feel awful for Reid and for PJ, those guys battled all year.

*We should and need to see a leap from EJ next year.

That’s about all I have to say about that.

Coach Cal and Coach K are both excellent coaches and had excellent teams who lost to other good teams in the NCAA tournament. Auburn is good. They also knocked out Kansas (historically, a great program coached by Bill Self) and North Carolina (another historically great team, coached by Roy Williams).

It does seem the media has a bias towards Calipari. Probably serveral factors at play here, including Cal poking the media so much, how outspoken he is, and the fact that he brings a lot of it on himself. Regardless, I still love Cal and hope he turns down the UCLA job.

Kentucky will return Ashton Hagans, Tyler Herro, Immanuel Quickly, EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards next year. You heard it here first. Preseason number 1 with a bullet. Save this post.

WDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT