ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chase is consistently 10lbs down ahead of me. Nice work man. I need to start hitting the gym more often. Diet alone is only doing so much. Really proud of you bud.

Appreciate it man. 20 pounds is very solid work as well. [cheers] to not being fat f*cks anymore.

Reactions: B Rax
I'd like to see some nerd stat work on Zion's fouls this year. I have a feeling we won't have ever seen anything like it.

The refs only having a few fouls on Duke in the second half came back to bite them yesterday. First foul would have given them a chance at a tie or maybe a win. That’s at least one thing I can smile about today.

I watched the last minute. Thought I heard one of the announcers say "they shouldn't be punished for not fouling all game".

So because Duke, who nearly every talking head mouth-hugged non-stop since day 1 of this season, and who seemingly has NEVER been on the receiving end of some Higgins type bullshit, whose head coach rips refs asses open all game long in hopes of not getting fouls called on his team, shouldn't be penalized when that actually works out for them?

JFC...just through the rule book out and rewrite it as Pre-approved by Duke NCAA rule book. How dare Duke have to foul less than others to put them at the line.

Positives:

Beat UNC handily.
Thrashed UL in their place.
Beat KU handily.
Gained 4 on KU
Gained 1 on UNC overall
Gained 1 on UNC tournament wins
Another 30-win season.

And at least it wasn't UNC that beat us in the E8.

It's just so damn frustrating to think we've threaded the needle and have a rare year where we have the pieces in place, but can't capitalize. Really wanted this for RT (and myself); thought it was predestined.

And those 2 years that Duke HAS made the FF since 2004 - of course, 2010 and 2015. You give me titles those 2 years (which we should have had), and I'd be satisfied until at least 2025.

Tyler Herro is going to play 1 year in college. Who was the last White Boy Freshman 2G to go 1st Rd in the Draft? Has there EVER been one?

JJ Redick played 4 years.
Luke Kennard played 2
Kevin Huerter played 2
Big Ragu played 3
Korver played 4
Stauskas played 2
Svi played 4
Jimmer played 4
Grayson played 4

...NBA white boy guards off the top of my head, and frankly, Herro isn't on any of their level, yet -- but he's going to be a touching 1 & done? The #KentuckyEffect can fu*king get pumped.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some nerd stat work on Zion's fouls this year. I have a feeling we won't have ever seen anything like it.

I’d like to know how many offensive fouls he has been called for. Very few from watching games. How many perfect halves? I guarantee you are right. His entire year was a statistical outlier in regards to fouls.

He is good but I’m glad his shit is over.

Reactions: _Chase_
New generation of kids grew up playing 1s and 2s. It makes absolutely ZERO sense to shoot anything inside the arc, unless you are absolutely wide open. I mean, it's stupid. Even YMCA hacks can understand the value of a 100% premium (or 50% premium in college). How these guys can't shoot 3s is beyond me.

Reactions: paintrain_cat
The one title per decade standard for coaches is pretty uncanny.

Rupp: 42 years, 4 titles.

Joe B: 13 years, 1 title.

Traitor: 8 years at UK, 1 title.

Tubby: 10 years at UK, 1 title.

Cal: 10 years at UK, 1 title.

K: 39 years, 5 titles - has barely exceeded one per decade.

Roy: 31 years, 3 titles, although his have come in a flurry - made up for lost time.

Dean Smith: 37 years, 2 titles.

Knight (as in, "what's up, Knight?"): 30 years, 3 titles.

If you're winning an average of 1 per decade, you're doing pretty damn well, historically.

Last edited:
Herro's decision very well could come down to money, as it does for most players. If they are absolutely strapped, they're going to turn pro. If not, then they should stay. For a tweener like Herro, it absolutely makes sense to come back, a la PJ Washington. Work your way into the Top 20 and Lottery.

I'm sure someone will be in Herro's ear about how Grayson Allen was projected at about 20th in the draft as a freshman after his big NCAA Tournament, decided to come back for three more years, and ultimately went 21st without even making another Final Four. He's gone.

We may not have had the pieces to win it all (especially how we'd been playing the last month or so), but we definitely had the pieces to beat f'ing Auburn without its best player and after going up double digits.

Herro's decision very well could come down to money, as it does for most players. If they are absolutely strapped, they're going to turn pro. If not, then they should stay. For a tweener like Herro, it absolutely makes sense to come back, a la PJ Washington. Work your way into the Top 20 and Lottery.
My overly simplistic comparison is whether Herro's all-around game is as developed as Donte DiVincenzo's game was when he made the jump last year? Before his injury, DiVincenzo was averaging 4.9ppg on 15.2mpg. Not exactly getting a ton of run behind Brogdon...

While I think Herro easily has more upside than somebody like DiVicenzo, the fact reamins 6-5 SGs are a dime a dozen in the NBA, and arguably the deepest position group across the NBA. I just don't see NBA execs falling over themselves to take a supposed "pure shooter" who shot 35.5% 3FGA in the high 1st round.

It really burned my ass up but wheeling Okeke out was a calculated move and it was brilliant. I really want to hate Auburn for that but in all honesty, if the roles were reversed and we rolled PJ out like that, I'd have celebrated it as a 3D Chess checkmate move.

That dude knows how to get his guys fired up. They just ousted 3 blue bloods. Last time was Zona in '97. I mean, f him but respect.

I think the NBDL needs to get here sooner than later. Weeds out the Gabriels, Vanderbilts, Diallos, Hagans of the world. Let them pursue their dreams and get paid out of HS. If you don't make the NBA, you go to the NBDL or overseas.

If you go to college, you have to stay 3 years. This One and Marginally Done crap has to end, and is basically ruining the game.

- What was this- our 19th Elite 8 loss? Unbelievable. Not even a Top 10 most painful either.

Off the top of my head: 70, 86, 92, 95, 03, 05, 10, 17 - all worse.

- March takes so much out of me. It’s always 95% devastation and 5% relief when it’s over.

- Officiating was fine to me. Nice having a decently called game.

- I have no rooting interest this weekend- just give me some classics.

- Favorite moments of the year:

1. Watching us beat UNC’s tail while in NYC
2. Watching us work Louisville at Anth’s before Boat’s wedding
3. Friday night
4. Killing Tennessee at home

- Couldn’t enjoy the first part of the tournament much because of Washington’s injury.

- Speaking of, props to him in becoming a star. Was always skeptical but he was amazing in the SEC and in the tournament.

- Seems like just yesterday I was cruising through the ugly cornland of Indiana with ABH heading to UK-Duke. Seasons go faster and faster.

- Would love if we brought back our starting backcourt but I’d settle for Hagans and Quick. Baker keeps improving. Add Maxey and some versatile forwards. Montgomery makes the leap. Richards maybe too? Not a bad squad.

Cal will only put two guys 6'9 and over at the 4/5 unless it's a really special situation. He will never give up on going big, he will also never "space the floor" and put a guy at the 4 because he can shoot. He will never let a big shoot consistently unless he wants to boost the NBA stock.

Cal will never go small ball. Two big lineups no matter what. And that really hurts when you are no longer able to get top elite talent.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Gonna need a shooter next year. One of our new wings will emerge and surprise(kinda like KJ.. shot from deep better than I would have expected) but if Herro is not back I doubt Baker gets the minutes he may deserve to really blossom.

Get Herro back and get one beefy guy down (grad transfer?) low and I think we can make a run.

Reactions: Col. Angus
basketball-positions-for-players.jpg

I think the NBDL needs to get here sooner than later. Weeds out the Gabriels, Vanderbilts, Diallos, Hagans of the world. Let them pursue their dreams and get paid out of HS. If you don't make the NBA, you go to the NBDL or overseas.

If you go to college, you have to stay 3 years. This One and Marginally Done crap has to end, and is basically ruining the game.

Having substantially less talent in college basketball would only make things worse.

Much worse.

I'm not sure seeing teams of Clines running around creating shots and draining 3's is all that bad. And lets be real, when the NCAA has fully f'd up CBB by paving the road for the NBA to replace their need to exist, I like our chances in the 2025 March Peach Basket Invitational.

I'm looking forward to hopping-ass Zion getting leveled mid-hop by some dude in the NBA who just doesn't GAF. It is beyond time for him to get a little humility in his life.

The NCAA has let the NBA determine the future of college basketball even though most of their money comes from the Tournament. Now Coach K and his Duke alum Silver are throwing out having another Duke alum Bilas come up with a plan on the future of College Basketball.
WTF???? Is Duke running the whole thing??? About time to get rid of the NCAA and let College Basketball go back to doing its own thing without NBA or f*#king Duke influences!!

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT