ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few teams in thw Sweet 16 seem/seemed to be stumbling into this weekend:

UT
Duke
Virginia

That's not usually a sign of a future Champion. Really seems like UNC, Zags, or a healthy UK is gonna take this thing.

Beilein is overrated (LOLOLL) and Beard has shown no signs of being a great coach.

Keep the :fire: takes coming.

In his 12 years at UM his teams have won a whopping 2 regular season championships & 2 conference championships, has missed the dance 3 times, and while he has been to final game 2 times there are quite a few early flame outs on the resume. He is far from an awful coach but he, and his teams, has never impressed me that much.

Beard is a blue collar guy that we thought BCG was but you know, probably isn't a sociopath piece of shit shoving kids into bathroom stalls.

Obviously can coach his ass off. Probably would be a bit overwhelmed being in the fishbowl but if he can connect to BJW, I mean, that could be something fantastic.

Bob Knight is going to die hopefully not too long from now. <- only fvck I can give for him.

Not only that, his #1 disciple has had a nice little career at Duke. FOH. I'd take my chances on a guy like Beard, that could be the next K and if not, he gets run off and we find another guy. Following Cal will suck, regardless. But trying to tie a guy back to Knight as a knock on him is short-sighted.

In his 12 years at UM his teams have won a whopping 2 regular season championships & 2 conference championships, has missed the dance 3 times, and while he has been to final game 2 times there are quite a few early flame outs on the resume. He is far from an awful coach but he, and his teams, has never impressed me that much.

2 regular season titles and 2 tourney titles are pretty damn good in the B1G. He also has an Elite 8 and 2 Sweet 16s at Michigan on top of those 2 title game appearances. Let's not forget he also had WVU on the cusp of the FF in 2005. Oh, and 1 of those missed tourneys came in his first year. Another came in '15 after he made the title game and Elite 8 in consecutive years and lost numerous players to the NBA. Sure, his team was awful last night but he's done a phenomenonal at Michigan.

Last edited:
Chris Beard, while solid at a cute school like Texas Tech has shown zero signs of "having it" to be the coach of the Commonwealth. Let's not forget 4 short years ago he was coaching the fighting Rams of Angelo State in the Lone Star conference.

Hard pass.

I love tough hard nosed defensive minded coaches at schools in Texas. UK should hire one someday.

There have been really good coaches that have come to Lexington only to be eaten alive by the monster that is Kentucky Basketball. Hall, Sutton, Tubby and Gillispie.

Only 3 coaches will have gone out on their own terms.. Rupp, Pitino and Cal. All 3 have larger than life personalities that can handle everything.

- If you don’t want Beilein because of his age, I can completely understand that. If you don’t want him because you’re not sure he can operate a successful basketball program, then you haven’t been paying attention.

- I’m a little surprised that Gonzaga seems to have lost some its luster amongst Billy Joe Sportswriter. They check all of the boxes of what they want to hype up and celebrate. Hell, they’ve done it for them for over a decade. But this year, they have backed off some. I guess many of them are still stinging from that loss in Maui?

- Or it could be that Gonzaga is actually good enough to win this sucker and now, instead of being a cute story, they are a real threat to the true media darlings.

2 regular season titles and 2 tourney titles are pretty damn good in the B1G. He also has an Elite 8 and 2 Sweet 16s at Michigan on top of those 2 title game appearances. Let's not forget he also had WVU on the cusp of the FF in 2005. Oh, and 1 of those missed tourneys came in his first year. Another came in '15 after he made the title game and Elite 8 in consecutive years and lost numerous players to the NBA. Sure, his team was awful last night but he's done a phenomenonal at Michigan.

2 regular/conference championships, in 12 years, in the B10, are pretty damn good? That isn't lofty expectations, but it is the brutal B10 after all. I guess that explains his 56-36 record in conference play the last 5 years. It does not, however, explain how or why his teams at Michigan have either failed to make the tournament or flamed out by the round of 32 more times than they have advanced to the sweet 16 or beyond.

You got your candy bars and Marlboro Reds lined up for the games today, August?

Im out of candy but plenty of snacks remain.

Might be time to take a break and watch American Pickers or something.

I may not have seen every game this year but it wasn't because of AP.

Look, Beilein is a fine coach but I don't think he is as great as he is made out to be here. He sure wouldn't be getting sucked off like he is if he were the coach at UK and had the same level of success. Very Joe B. Hallesque with a dash of Tubby thrown in.

The next coach debate always seems to forget that if you need a coach you have to hire a coach. They won't let you not have one.

There have been really good coaches that have come to Lexington only to be eaten alive by the monster that is Kentucky Basketball. Hall, Sutton, Tubby and Gillispie.

Only 3 coaches will have gone out on their own terms.. Rupp, Pitino and Cal. All 3 have larger than life personalities that can handle everything.

Agree with your points Richie except for Rupp. He left kicking and screaming due to forced retirement but understand and agree with the overall point.

*Night time isn't GYERO time for me, but heartwarming to get on here this morning and see a few of you (SAE, Richie, etc.) with proper and correct takes about the University of Tennessee. F'k them to eternity, conference affiliation be damned. I don't care how great Admiral Schofield is (and he is, for sure)...I'd wear the Cardinal mascot outfit before I'd root for the Vols in anything.

*Grant Williams' Luke Hancock-esque "who, me?" BS can go straight to hell. I hope Schofield plays a dozen years in the league and Williams ends up in Croatia, bunking with Chris Lofton.

*Centch busting BKH about spotting him $20, eleven years ago is [laughing]. GYERO. Never. Forgets.

*Feels like a very chalky night tonight, my nerves about our game excluded. I might be tempted to pick the Hokies over Duke, if UCF hadn't given them so much of a scare. They're due a game where they're firing on all cylinders, and I'm afraid that's going to happen tonight.

*Nothing about the vibe Chris Beard puts off makes me think he could handle all that goes along with being the head coach at Kentucky. Damn good coach, for sure, but just can't see that as a fit here. He'll probably (and rightfully) be KU's first call if the Billy Hoots whispers end up true.

*I'll wait until Brad Calipari has a college degree before I start giving serious thought to Cal's replacement here. Lot can change in a couple years. Bama gave a guy I had a solid eye on a chance to prove it in a major conference. Will be very interested to see what Oats can do down there.

*A few 60ish degree days, grass getting greener, days getting longer, Masters commercials playing with more frequency and the golf itch is getting STRONG.

*76-67, Kates. Houston is good, but Herro isn't going to go 2-11 again, Reid Travis feels like a man hell-bent on making it back home for the Final Four, and PJ's return gives everyone a spark.

* Been quite a few memorable Friday night/Sweet 16 wins for the Cats in the post-probation era. Top three: Louisville ('14), Ohio State ('11), Indiana ('12).

* I get the BCG comparisons, but Beard's teams seem to ramp it up a notch in March, unlike Clyde's. Also, it seems highly unlikely that he'll be a psychopath, as most people aren't.

* Duke is due for a 20+ point win tonight after which everybody crowns them the greatest team since 1972 UCLA, only to be followed up by a loss to Michigan State where they go 4 for 26 from three.

* Punta Cana shorts:
  • Nice place, but it's amazing how much different a vacation is when none of the help speaks more than about 3 words of English. You'd think all-inclusive resorts would at least have some kind of basic English primer before hiring people.
  • There is an entire generation who is missing the world go by. Every person at that place between the ages of 14 and 23 spent each waking second with their eyes glued to their stupid phones. I have this conversation with my 15 year old three times a week, but it just doesn't register. Stop posting shit on Snapchat and start paying attention to the world around you. Whatever satisfaction you're hoping to derive from social media is never going to be found. You're literally sitting on the beach in paradise and all you're worried about is the best angle for your 752nd selfie of the day.
  • This world has a serious tattoo problem.
  • Went for a run on the beach Wednesday afternoon. About two miles out, I got attacked by a pack of wild dogs. True story. Got chased, bit, scratched, etc. Scary as hell. Luckily, the "doctor" at the resort didn't speak English too well, but I did get some band aids, ointments and antibiotics for the reasonable price of $244. They don't offer tetanus shots where we stayed, of course, but if I'm still alive tomorrow I'll get that taken care of. Third world problems, I guess.

* Cats, 67-63.

Duke made 10 threes against UCF. It’s not like they had a UK-West Virginia 2010 type game.

They still have a disgusting 3-point effort coming.

Reactions: catholic_back
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT