ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, would you agree a highly educated, respected, well compensated, regulated, licensed professional, expert authority on prescription drugs isn't likely to risk their career so some 18-25 year old can get high with his buds?

Absolutely not. One tiny pharmacy in a town of less than 400 in WV received and filled over 9 million hydrocodone doses in less than 2 years. Many small, independent pharmacies in WV were filling between 600k and 5 million hydro and oxy prescriptions per year. Over a 6 year period, over 780 million doses of hydro and oxy were shipped and filled in WV alone.

The big box pharmacies were doing less than 10k per year but some independents were filling 5 million per year. When the numbers started going down, higher strength doses were prescribed and shipped.

The numbers are insane and led to the deaths of thousands.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-h...0m-painkillers-into-wv-amid-rise-of-overdoses

Dumb question regarding the regional aspect.....in the poor areas the doctors are getting greased to write the scrips, yes? I mean Dr. Bojangles, the general practitioner in Letcher County, is making what $80K?

That guy is on the take, correct?

Well now the reimbursement for physicians will be partially determined by patient satisfaction scores. All those folks who want 50 oxy, percs, etc instead of the 5-10 they probably need are going to be pissed.

I obviously wasn't practicing and prescribing shit when the drugs were being pushed by big pharma. However, now in any residency program and medical school they are way way way over the top ANTI narcotics for every specialty. But, all these folks are hooked from the oxycontin heyday and just turning to heroin anyway. And a lot of these folks are absolutel scum of the earth. Was it their fault initially, who the hell knows. But none of them sure as hell will take any responsibility.

So, as with everything, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. (But gyero doesn't do middling, so PTI go eff off).

So a lot of things here...

Addiction is complex process. I think some people are predisposed and have addictive personalities. You throw something as physically and psychologically addictive as heroin/OxyContin in the mix, and they just can't help themselves. Now how did they get there? Well, they all got stories.

Are there some bad docs out there? There sure were. Now many of them are in prison. Steps have been taken to get a tighter control on it. But it's not perfect.

Some of the drug companies and pharmacies to blame? Yup.

Are the addicts responsible for their own behavior? Yup.

But is it better that some people abuse the system than keeping someone who really needs the medication from having access to it? Well when Pti has his first joint replacement I'll guess we'll find out. Maybe before Tiger/Phil...

Watching Johnson crush his interview at SEC media days gets my BJW juices flowing. What a get by Hinshaw. WHY TF are we going to Hattiesburg to open the season. :flush:

Reactions: Hankshaker
I really don't get Pti's argument that legalizing MJ can stave off the heroin problem. Last time I checked, marijuana wasn't considered a powerful painkiller. Got glaucoma, seizures, maybe anxiety, anorexia from cancer...yeah maybe that's a good call.

Control severe pain from broken bones/surgery...nah.

My primary care doc in the early 2000s was very strict about prescribing opioids - apparently because she wanted to keep them all for herself. She was stealing drug samples from the office and "self-medicating" during the day while she was seeing patients.

I had no idea any of that was going on, but I knew she seemed like a mess when I went in for office visits. Apparently lots of doctors around knew all about it, but heaven forbid that somebody - or some governing body - notify her patients that she was on probation.

When the CA medical board FINALLY stepped in and bumped her "probation" status to a full removal of her medical license, my HMO at the time sent me a letter saying how sad it was that she was "retiring." She was about 40 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mashburned
I really don't get Pti's argument that legalizing MJ can stave off the heroin problem. Last time I checked, marijuana wasn't considered a powerful painkiller. Got glaucoma, seizures, maybe anxiety, anorexia from cancer...yeah maybe that's a good call.

Control severe pain from broken bones/surgery...nah.

People these days seem to ascribe all sorts of magical 'medical' properties marijuana. Apparently it will treat any illness or condition known to man.

I do wish the govt would allow/encourage/fund studies to see what it's actually useful for.

I think there are real uses for it, and maybe in some instances it could be the best option...but replacing heroin addicts fix? Nah.

Between GYERO and my nephew (who is a saner version of me) -- I don't think I've ever heard a bad prediction in terms of incoming basketball talent

And Since my record includes excitement and hype for players like Sheray Thomas and Rekalin Simms......I learned that it was time to stop talking and start listening

thank you, GYERO ......

you still make me all WARM inside after all these years

Reactions: Kennedy_UK
Lmao. Get real.

But you're right, it's complicated.

But PTI is more right. The mfers in control of the drug misled doctors who misled patients, and they knew exactly what they were doing.

True. But don't forget to point at some pharmacists & pharmacy owners as well. As the article linked above shows, there have been countless small town pharmacies dispensing tens of thousands of pills. They HAD to know it was sketchy, but it was paying them a slice of the pie, so they continued to do what they did. Complicit.

"In Southern West Virginia, many of the pharmacies that received the largest shipments of prescription opioids were small, independent drugstores like ones in Raleigh and Wyoming counties that ordered 600,000 to 1.1 million oxycodone pills a year. Or they were locally owned pharmacies in Mingo and Logan counties, where wholesalers distributed 1.4 million to 4.7 million hydrocodone pills annually.

By contrast, the Wal-Mart at Charleston's Southridge Centre, one of the retail giant's busiest stores in West Virginia, was shipped about 5,000 oxycodone and 9,500 hydrocodone pills each year."

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-h...0m-painkillers-into-wv-amid-rise-of-overdoses

Last edited:
True. But don't forget to point at some pharmacists & pharmacy owners as well. As the article linked above shows, there have been countless small town pharmacies dispensing tens of thousands of pills. They HAD to know it was sketchy, but it was paying them a slice of the pie, so they continued to do what they did. Complicit.

"In Southern West Virginia, many of the pharmacies that received the largest shipments of prescription opioids were small, independent drugstores like ones in Raleigh and Wyoming counties that ordered 600,000 to 1.1 million oxycodone pills a year. Or they were locally owned pharmacies in Mingo and Logan counties, where wholesalers distributed 1.4 million to 4.7 million hydrocodone pills annually.

By contrast, the Wal-Mart at Charleston's Southridge Centre, one of the retail giant's busiest stores in West Virginia, was shipped about 5,000 oxycodone and 9,500 hydrocodone pills each year."

weird coincidence
my father in law was JUST telling me about this on the phone about 2 days ago

people in the deep south don't always fully appreciate how isolated and DIFFERENT Appalachia is from the south they know

it smells different too

I think there are real uses for it, and maybe in some instances it could be the best option...but replacing heroin addicts fix? Nah.

..except that wasn't anyone, including PTI(pti)'s argument. In a majority of cases, Nothing except heroin "replaces an heroin addict's fix", or *ever* will -- that's the problem. Once they get to that stage, it's often too late.

-RIP to Chicago rapper 'ShootaShellz' who was tragically gunned down on Monday.

-Seems like I hear about this Shai Lebouf (or whatever) character on the radio, background TV, interweb clickbait headlines on a regular basis -- with a gun to my head right now, I couldn't tell you who he is or what he actually does (obviously an entertainer of some sort?), honestly have no clue. I'm sure Chase can fill me in.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Chase_
I have a cousin who had a patient come in for "pain relief", supposedly a bad back, which just happened to be muscle related that is hard to detect. He said the look on the guys face when he prescribed him Tramadol. Dude had the nerve to say "i believe percs would work better."

Now for the Dr's in here, why not prescribe more meds that are like that and are not opioid based ? I am talking in the less severe cases. I believe that is where the problem begin, people coming in and getting them who do not need them. They either are using them to get high, or selling them to people so they can get high and in turn make some serious cash off them.

*As a doctor, I basically tell the wimps around me to drop a couple advil and rub some dirt on it.

*Stoops lightly mentioned criticism of the D-line (Elam) yesterday, and i'm glad he didnt make an excuse or disagree. I'm not sure what else will help push Elam to try and salvage a career- I dont think McElroy was trying to be a dick either - he clearly hasnt met expectations (his or the staffs). I dont know what he's done this off-season, but if he's just now feeling slighted enough to work, that's probably too little too late.

*Props again for W&W putting that meet and greet together. Players seemed well-spoken and engaged with the fans- Media Day is a shit show and has to be an uneasy day trying to answer questions without saying something disastrous. Thought they handled themselves well- Johnson specifically.

*Edwards shaking hands, small talking and taking pics in his suit jacket, bow tie and UK shorts was a good look.

*met like 3 other dudes there that basically said the same thing- moved here for a job, expecting to move back to Lexington... then met a girl from here and got married, ruining all plans. It happens.

*Never cared about and certainly never ordered any UFC type event- but I am intrigued by this Mayweather/McGregor event. I think it lasts about 2 minutes.

Reactions: woodfordandwater
..except that wasn't anyone, including PTI(pti)'s argument. In a majority of cases, Nothing except heroin "replaces an heroin addict's fix", or *ever* will -- that's the problem. Once they get to that stage, it's often too late.

-RIP to Chicago rapper 'ShootaShellz' who was tragically gunned down on Monday.

-Seems like I hear about this Shai Lebouf (or whatever) character on the radio, background TV, interweb clickbait headlines on a regular basis -- with a gun to my head right now, I couldn't tell you who he is or what he actually does (obviously an entertainer of some sort?), honestly have no clue. I'm sure Chase can fill me in.

Other than the original star of The Transformers movies, you probably remember him as playing Francis Ouimet in the golf movie The Greatest Game Ever Played.

Lonzo ditching the BBB, wearing Nike, and going for 36/11/8/5 is kinda funny/awesome.

-I'll be damned, I have seen that. Watch bits and pieces all the time, as it's basically the Shawshank of the Golf Channel.

Took at look at his Wikipedia, and most certainly understand now why I have no clue who he is. Lol at Transformers movies. Umm, False

Last edited:
I own two rehabilitation/recovery houses, one for women, one for men. About 50 total beds. It's almost all heroin. And before heroin it was pills, crack etc etc. I've never had a single person come through those doors that went to heroin because a Dr prescribed opioid addiction. Junkies that made bad choices on their own accord, and most likely will again.
I know there were some bad Dr's and some pain mill type offices, but that's not the majority of the problem. Yeah, yeah I know PTI saw on CNN a story, and BBDKs pharmacy wife told him a story about how terrible opiods are. Bullshit, millions of Americans have taken them successfully for years with no issues. Just more knee jerk reaction this pussified country keeps turning to.
It's the Dr's fault, it's the policemen's fault, it's the teachers fault blah blah blah. Zero accountability in this country anymore for an individuals actions. Sad.

-i agree with Rob in principal. Most folks can handle opiates responsibly. Problem is that there is a small percentage(relative to genpop) of addicts that cannot. When you have docs prescribing synthetic heroin like candy in some areas of the country...it creates a big problem for all of us. Addicts/dealers are gonna find the shady docs/pharmacists and presto there is an epidemic.

-i am *far* from a bleeding heart/anti corporate lefty...but the professionals and pharma execs involved need to absorb some responsibility.

-also putting all the blame on addicts is "punching down"...and that is a serious pussy move.

Last edited:
What are the Rehabilitation and Recovery houses or associated programs you own called, Rob -- I'm pretty familiar with every single reputable one in town.

Would you like to share some success stories from your wonderful organization? Or If you could share some general information I will gladly pass it along to a few groups my wife is actively involved with, sounds like a great place.

Last edited:
*We definitely shouldn't legalize marijuana because it won't 100% fix a complex problem.

I've never had a single person come through those doors that went to heroin because a Dr prescribed opioid addiction.

I highly doubt you know that with any amount of certainty. Are you the admissions coordinator? Do you discuss the nuances of the start of their addiction with them? Whether they became addicted to pills because a doctor prescribed them or whether they became addicted to them because they were buying them off the street?

Your intake assessment form is probably a page long, asks general questions like (drug of choice?) (any mental illnesses?)(Outstanding warrants or pending charges?) (Court ordered for treatment?), and your beds are likely filled up with people in the legal system trying to get into rehab so they can get diversion/probation/shock. Almost 0 chance they're filling you in on the origins of their addiction.

Doctors were basically prescribing heroin. F'ing heroin. To the tune of $35 billion or more, in the case of OxyContin. There's absolutely no excuse for that.

Can you docs and doc apologists quit slow jacking each other long enough to find a pain remedy that doesn't involve heroin??

K thanks.

But the simple reality is this: According to the large, annually repeated and representative National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 75 percent of all opioid misuse starts with people using medication that wasn’t prescribed for them—obtained from a friend, family member or dealer.

And 90 percent of all addictions—no matter what the drug—start in the adolescent and young adult years. Typically, young people who misuse prescription opioids are heavy users of alcohol and other drugs. This type of drug use, not medical treatment with opioids, is by far the greatest risk factor for opioid addiction, according to a study by Richard Miech of the University of Michigan and his colleagues. For this research, the authors analyzed data from the nationally representative Monitoring the Future survey, which includes thousands of students.

We should legalize weed because arresting and incarcerating people for ingesting anything is immoral and a drain on the system for no gain. It also may have some medical benefit.

What people are saying is what the link in the above described. Most people who use heroin and pills didn't get hooked from legitimate prescriptions and even smaller percentage get hooked from short term prescriptions. Should doctors be writing scripts for high power opioids at the rate the do/did? No. Is that the main cause of the heroin epidemic? Also no.

Pretty sure once "good" white kids from suburbs started OD'ing it became a serious issue and the blame started shifting from the user to the doctor. Because little Aydyn would never recreationally take pills; it had to be that evil doctor who gave him 5 low dose hyrdos when he got his wisdom teeth cut out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT