ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING

WASHINGTON — United States prosecutors have charged more than 400 people with taking part in health care fraud and opioid scams that totaled $1.3 billion in false billing.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the charges Thursday. Officials say those charged include more than 120 people involved in prescribing and distributing narcotics. In prepared remarks, Sessions calls it the "largest health care fraud takedown operation in American history."

Among those charged are six Michigan doctors accused of a scheme to prescribe unnecessary opioids. A Florida rehab facility is alleged to have recruited addicts with gift cards and visits to strip clubs, leading to $58 million in false treatments and tests.

Sessions says nearly 300 health care providers are being suspended or banned from participating in federal health care programs.

Pretty cool. I like the part about recruiting addicts with gift cards and strip club visits lmao.

A better AD than most realize or will give him credit for: YES.

A GYEROMAN : NO.

6_5339245.jpg

PTI, ALL narcotics are "basically" heroin. Crush any of them up and shoot/snort you'll be high as a kite.

And we try like hell to get patients off of them or not to take them at all. I worked in a pain clinic that prescribed zero opiods of any kind. Patients were livid when they found that out, many walked out before we could even finish the visit.

Just because a bunch of pill mills in Florida and EKY were taking advantage of the system and addicts doesn't mean all doctors are the bad guys. Just like Eric C Conn being a crook doesn't mean BIG LAW is behind all the shady lawyers out there (UCL/Max, don't answer).

Side note: OxyContin is actually an incredible drug when used appropriately. And guess what, people DO HAVE PAIN after surgery or injuries. I know it's a little shocking to learn.

Did big pharma and a bunch of rouge doctors abuse the system for their own gain? Of course. Only an idiot would argue against that.

But then only a fool can't see that there has to be some semblance of personal responsibility in all this.

Again, middle ground. Foreign concept, I know.

*Never cared about and certainly never ordered any UFC type event- but I am intrigued by this Mayweather/McGregor event. I think it lasts about 2 minutes.
Why would you think it would last 2 minutes? Conor will struggle to make serious contact with Mayweather and Mayweather hasn't knocked anyone out in like a decade. It'll be a snoozefest that probably goes the distance for a decision.

Reactions: Mossip
I suppose I have a unique perspective on this issue. I've represented doctors accused of prescribed opiates for medically unnecessary purposes and patients who abused them.

Medical marijuana isn't a substitute for people who legitimately need medication to deal with acute pain. It's also not a cure all for widespread opiate abuse.

PTI is correct--There are plenty of people who became addicted to opiates because they were prescribed ridiculous quantities of those kinds of drugs when they first hit the market. I've had clients who fit into that category. The companies who produced those drugs, particularly Purdue Pharma, initially told physicians and the general public that those medications weren't addictive. As a result, there's no doubt that the pharmaceutical industry has blood on its hands. But that's only a small percentage of the problem at this point. Most people who abuse pills, heroin, fentanyl, carfentanil, etc. now do so for recreational purposes.

That's why legalizing marijuana for recreational use is the only way to meaningfully impact opiate abuse. It won't solve the problem immediately, but it could make a difference over time.

We're at 61% support for full legalization nationwide. We're reaching a point where continued prohibition will result in people having even less trust in our government than they already do. The reefer madness era needs to be over, yet our current AG wants to take us back to the good ol' days of draconian mandatory minimum sentences for all drugs including marijuana. It's a huge mistake that will have far-reaching negative consequences on millions of families.

Last edited:
That's why legalizing marijuana for recreational use is the only way to meaningfully impact opiate abuse. It won't solve the problem immediately, but it could make a difference over time.

I don't follow... it's basically cheap and easy to come by now?

Better yet bbdk come on down I'll take you through one. While your wife goes to feel good meetings once a quarter, some of us see the ACTUAL story everyday.
Yeah chase, you really have a feel for this living in Ohio county. Stick to getting people out of running stop signs.
While I do have some DOC ordered people, whose stay is mandated by a judges ruling, most come from the Healing Place on a pure voluntary basis. A large portion of the DOC ordered people stay well beyond their mandatory time. You have zero idea what you're talking about.

Opioid abuse was one of the worst parts of working in UK's Neuro ICU. Every day a patient was admitted it was almost always an 18-40 year old OD brought in from eastern Kentucky, day after day after day.

I mean, we had dudes chewing on fentayl patches to get high.

I once watched a guy chop up a fentanyl patch and then free base it.

After he passed out, we weren't sure what to do with his pit bull.

Probably the most rugged drug-related thing I ever personally witnessed.

Then again, this occurred in a rented "Cruise America" RV at a KOA campground somewhere south of Louisville after a String Cheese Incident show at the Palace Theater in 2002.

That was an interesting spring break.

I once watched a guy chop up a fentanyl patch and then free base it.

If we're doing a who's seen the worst of drug abuse, I'd like to submit myself. I've seen decapitated dudes laying across railroad tracks with spray paint around their muzzle. I do death investigations for the RR. I was in East St. Louis now I'm working Philly.

Glamorous job I have, but I'm glad I'm not practicing law. It's like that.

0% chance Rob has ever had more than a 3 minute passing conversation with one of his halfway house residents.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Side note: OxyContin is actually an incredible drug when used appropriately. And guess what, people DO HAVE PAIN after surgery or injuries. I know it's a little shocking to learn.

I ask this because I legitimately don't know... I have been under the understanding that these hard-core opioids are/were intended for the treatment of the worst pain (terminal cancer patients, end of life care, etc). How or why did they end up being legitimately prescribed for more "common" pain (after surgery, back pain, etc)? Are the other options just deficient?

Reactions: Mashburned
Bc they were marketed and sold as just another normal painkiller that lasted a lot longer...8 hours or 12. Which wasn't the case, and these companies knew that. Then they kept increasing the potency to help create more addicts.

Just started this one- so far pretty good. Also it's being made into a movie called the 'Irishman" featuring traditional Italian mob movie actors :rolleyes:
514Tk4eh6HL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I ask this because I legitimately don't know... I have been under the understanding that these hard-core opioids are/were intended for the treatment of the worst pain (terminal cancer patients, end of life care, etc). How or why did they end up being legitimately prescribed for more "common" pain (after surgery, back pain, etc)? Are the other options just deficient?

Simple answer of one many different ways to use it.

Let's say you're coming in for a big lung resection via thoracotomy incision (incredibly pain big ass incision along rib cage). You are going to be miserable after, bottom line. Depending on other factors, we likely would some sort of epidural catheter before surgery, the surgeon can put in a pump, or they can do nerve blocks from the inside of the chest using local anesthetics.

However, those above options may or may not give you good relief, or for medical reasons may not be used. Where I did residency, every patient who was having thoracic surgery was put on a protocol where they were given pills the morning of surgery. Tylenol, gabapentin, celebrex, and oxycontin. Relatively small doses of each for maximum synergistic benefits without side effect profile.

The wonderful thing about oxycontin, and really the only diff between it and oxycodone, is that it is sustained release over a longer period of time so you don't have to redose as often. Someone having a very long surgery or anticipated long term pain issues can be started on a longer acting/release medication so that they build up a baseline of pain control and can supplement with other immediate release pain medications as needed. Of course, these are not intended to be anything more than a few days in hospital (at most) while the patient transitions to less frequent, smaller dosed medications as pain improves.

Just an example, could give 20 more very easily.

s that it is sustained release over a longer period of time so you don't have to redose as often.

The clinical studies showed that was not exactly true...or it was negligible at best. That was just the marketing tagline. In fact it was exactly like the otter popular painkillers....oxycodone? Whatever the go to was before OxyContin which was created because the patent on oxycodone was up, so this company needed a brand new super drug so they'd remain on top.

What are the Rehabilitation and Recovery houses or associated programs you own called, Rob -- I'm pretty familiar with every single reputable one in town.

Would you like to share some success stories from your wonderful organization? Or If you could share some general information I will gladly pass it along to a few groups my wife is actively involved with, sounds like a great place.

I'm still laughing out loud on this one. The healing place has the highest success rate of any treatment facility in the country. They now have numerous modeled programs across the US, the most recent in Charlotte and Atlanta.
I'll put a call into the Pres right now for you.
Hey Karen it's Rob, Ive got a guy whose wife is in a book club, and they pray for addicts. They think they can really help us.

Lol. Dope

Reactions: Geese Feeder
And again, your example is a super painful procedure that isn't that common, I assume. Probably fine for the mfer who just had his chest split. Tho I would still argue, based on the OxyContin studies, that contin was not needed at all and we have a plethora of painkillers that were less addictive and not sold and marketed under false pretenses. It was only "needed" bc Purdue was about to lose a lot of money on oxycodone.

He asked for a clinical indication. I gave one that is used everyday.

At our hospital every single knee replacement, hip replacement, VATS, thoracotomy, spinal fusion, etc etc etc etc got some sort of clinically indicated long acting opioid. Facts.

Guess what. Surgery is commonplace. As are painful ones. Patients don't want to deal with pain, pain leads to respiratory insufficiency and other unwanted hemodynamic changes, lack of cooperation with PT and getting their asses out of bed.

We really are trying to take care of people, but since you know clearly already know all of the details about this, shouldn't need explaining to you.

Reactions: parrott
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT