ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I oversimplifying it to think that legalizing marijuana in Kentucky would severely diminish the heroin and opioid problem? It seems like an extremely profitable and easy fix if people would just get their head's out of their asses.

All for it.

It wouldn't be an "easy fix" by any stretch, that's definitely over-simplifying the huge problem & all of it's components -- but there is ZERO doubt in my mind that it would help our state overall.

Last edited:

Feel free to elaborate. I'm not being a dick either, I'm curious what I'm missing. I don't think it will end heroin or opioid abuse entirely, I just feel like there will be a severe reduction in the scale of the problem.

Instead of prescribing pills to "take the pain away" and "help my nerves", they can prescribe weed. Which isn't harmless, but is obviously far less harmful and addictive. You don't get hooked on the pills, you don't run out of your prescription early too many times and have to start looking for shit on the street.

I saw a study not long ago that said in states that had legalized marijuana the number of opioid overdose deaths had decreased substantially over states that had not legalized marijuana. Seems there might be something to that.

Relevant article

Last edited:
Feel free to elaborate. I'm not being a dick either, I'm curious what I'm missing. I don't think it will end heroin or opioid abuse entirely, I just feel like there will be a severe reduction in the scale of the problem.

^ Legalized marijuana is ridiculously expensive. Here in Colorado, I believe the marijuana tax is about 15%, which is on top of state sales tax (somewhere in the 6-7% range depending on the municipality). With tax included, I believe an 1/8 bag is going in the $50-60 range.

While the marijuana grown here is synthetic with a high THC content, I'm not sure it will ever give an addict the type of high they are craving from herion/opiods. Especially when a hit of herion costs in the $10-20 range, and gives you a high for about 5-6 hrs. For an addict, it seems like a pretty easy cost trade-off.

I have a hard time believing that legalized marijuana will move the needle (no pun) in terms of reducing the current number of herion/opiod addicts.

Instead of prescribing pills to "take the pain away" and "help my nerves", they can prescribe weed. Which isn't harmless, but is obviously far less harmful and addictive. You don't get hooked on the pills, you don't run out of your prescription early too many times and have to start looking for shit on the street.

Maybe, but the heroin/opiod problem is still rapidly growing despite the fact 29 states and the District of Columbia (and Guam + Puerto Rico) have legalized medical marijuana. While the number of individuals who become addicts through lawful prescription drug abuse is not insubstantial, I think the bigger problem is drug addiction in low-income, poor communities with little to no socio-economic prospects.

-AT&T Park in five days. Tribe vs. Giants. Garlic fries.

-Can't wait for Chad's "Top 5 Books that I Haven't Read But I've Heard About From the Ladies in The Office" list.

-Having your doc/dentist/etc. within walking distance of your workplace is a solid move.

-How is Tony Trocha still playing college basketball? Didn't Gillispie recruit that guy?

Obviously a marijuana high is nothing like a heroin high or even remotely similar drug in anyway but it should cut down on pain pill prescriptions a little bit which is the where it all started so it won't be any easy fix at all but maybe cut down on new addicts by a slight amount? Maybe 15%? The example about price of weed given by Kennedy was awful however and sounds like it was written by someone who has never smoked weed. An 1/8 used to cost 50 bucks back in the mid 90s and an 1/8 will get you high about 50 times, so yes it's way cheaper than heroin it's just not even remotely similar.

When the popular answer to economic woes is WELL YEA GOVT SHOULD JUST SELL US WEED you are f'd up. Not to mention the fact MJ is currently scheduled harsher than cocaine and 29 states or whatever sell it retail on the street, pay taxes on it, etc. Our country is a gd joke.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
Mash I'm not talking about Mexican press with seeds in a blunt like you fellas are fond of. I'm talking about the primo shit in a one hitter.

Reactions: roguemocha
* Chase -- of course it would, but do you honestly think the multi billion dollar pharmaceutical industry would let that happen?? Drugs are actually great, but only in a very highly regulated environment where hugely profitable industries can lobby on their own behalf to write the rules of distribution in their favor. The same applies to gambling as well.

This isn't about severe addicts getting their fix.

This is about the fact that the medical community and pharmaceutical industry has helped turned the US into a national full of heroin addicts thru the use of legalized prescription medication. It's sickening, particularly when there are much better alternatives out there.

I saw a study not long ago that said in states that had legalized marijuana the number of opioid overdose deaths had decreased substantially over states that had not legalized marijuana. Seems there might be something to that.

Relevant article

Here's a report that states the same thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcn...help-curb-opioid-epidemic-study-finds-n739301

I think people are stubborn, which isn't always a bad thing, but nonetheless, they tend to be tough to convince that maybe marijuana isn't as bad as they think. With the epidemic going on now with herion, even if you believe pot is bad, which I do not, you have people not only dying but turning into hardened criminals to support their habit. I've never seen a pot head rob houses and people at gunpoint to maintain their habit. I'm sure a pot head has robbed someone at some point, just like any other category on earth, but it wasn't because of the pot.

Anyway, pot would obviously help the current problem with opioids and I just can't believe anyone can disagree with that. Herion is costing lives, infringing on regular people's safety and sending hospital and government costs through the roof trying to slow down this epidemic.

Am I oversimplifying it to think that legalizing marijuana in Kentucky would severely diminish the heroin and opioid problem? It seems like an extremely profitable and easy fix if people would just get their head's out of their asses.

I've never been offered heroin and wouldn't even know where to start to go looking for it, and I've never noticed that my buddies who partake in weed found it difficult or expensive to procure.

My point is, I don't think anyone out there is using heroin because weed isn't legal and easy to come by.

I've never been offered heroin and wouldn't even know where to start to go looking for it, and I've never noticed that my buddies who partake in weed found it difficult or expensive to procure.

My point is, I don't think anyone out there is using heroin because weed isn't legal and easy to come by.

No, but it's estimated that 80% of heroin addicts originally got addicted to opioids by using *legal* prescription painkillers.

Doctors shouldn't be prescribing heroin, is basically what I'm saying.

But when medical marijuana is mentioned as an alternative, the jesus freak types lose their minds, and the pharma industry shuts that idea down via our elected officals whose pockets they line.

Once you get addicted to opioids, the idea of going back to weed I would imagine is no longer an option. But starting with weed to treat pain, as opposed to opioids, would stop many of these problems before they ever start.

Heroin? Meth? All of this shit is fng disgusting. I just can't wrap my mind around it.

I'm no angel by any means but I'm glad that my vices or fix if you want to call it that boils down to the overindulgence of ice cold suds on a Friday and Saturday.

Sorry Reds, you don't make the list. Great American Ballpark is a decent place to watch a game, but there is so much concrete...just kind of bland. And the upstairs seats are pretty high compared to the upper levels at other new parks. Reds swung and missed with the new place. Oh well.

Horrible take. Sure, there are parks that have more in terms of bells and whistles, or nostalgia like Wrigley or Fenway, but there really isn’t a bad seat in the house at GABP, which was the primary intent, along with eliminating the cookie cutter designs that dominated the 70’s. Not sure what else GABP could have done except coordinate more partnerships with local eateries/pubs like Wrigley has. It is simple, not flashy, and has a great feel.

Getting out of GABP and on to I-75 is one of the easiest things ever as well.

Parks visited…

GABP

Old Yankee

New Yankee

Wrigley

Camden

Fulton Co and Turner (new place in Sep)

Petco

Safeco

Angel Stadium

That's not exactly the point. When people try to come off of an addiction, sometimes they need something to help with it depending on the severity of their addiction. Just like gum for someone trying to stop smoking cigarettes. So obviously, for something as severe as herion, people need something to minimally replace that high or buzz temporarily and what's a better substance than an organic plant?

So no,drug addicts don't go after herion because they can't get pot. But if pot is an option once someone makes the decision to stop using something they are severely mentally and physically dependent upon, it could make it a lot easier than doing it with nothing which in turn lowers their chances of being off herion for the long term.

^ yes.

The personal relationship I have w/ heroin involves someone who's now been clean for nearly a year.

...and he's basically smoking a cigarette any time he's awake (never smoked before) and tattooing his entire body (never had a tattoo before).

Whatever keeps/helps them from relapsing, I guess -- but 'they' definitely seem to need something in their damaged & addicted minds. Not saying weed is the answer, but it could be for some.

Reactions: trav55 and 2blue4u
:joy:

I literally have never heard or seen even one single baseball fanatic list GABP amongst the best in MLB. Not one, and it's been open 15 years.

But then again, I've not seen rankings based on "ease of access to nearest southbound interstate."

GABP is awesome and clean and beautiful, but it's nothing special when compared to the best in the sport.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
I find the perception change of the opioid crisis interesting. When it was pill mills flooding Appalachia with oxy for years it was viewed as a bunch of lazy rednecks getting high. When the same issue and its after-effects hit suburbia then it became a "crisis". I've heard people talk about the impact of an addict "from a good family" when they're from certain areas but the same isn't said about a similar urban/Appalachian family. What prism we view the problem through colors if/when we think the problem is big enough to fix.

Last edited:
There was indeed ignorance on the subject/situation before it was touching nearly everyone, and not mostly relegated to small pockets that have been ignored forever in MANY ways, but that's all it was (and still is, to many) = ignorance.

-Who *really* cares about baseballsucka #nokids? Nobody except JoeyTheNats, if you're honest with yourselves.

I want to back to the bleachers in Wrigley and pound Old Styles with PTI and a bunch of rowdy ass firefighters giving me shit over my salmon shorts.

Fun day, but if you'll recall, it was sort of cumbersome exiting the stadium and hopping on the expressway.

I give the entire experience about a 6 out of 10, and that's being generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT