ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long vacation randos (with pics!)

Spent the first week in Breckenridge.

Stayed here: http://www.thebivvi.com/. Fire away, but it really is a nice place. Has everything from 6-man (co-ed = eek) rooms to plush private suites. Great cooked breakfast every morning, and a bar. It was a blast, and I got to meet so many interesting people. Lots of Colorado Trail thru-hikers (Breck is the 100-mile/1 week stopping point for most people). Several people just in town for a long weekend of outdoor activity. A few total pothead losers (who were probably my favorites, btw).

Best hike was Mohawk Lakes

13882544_10155150728444972_2167399604305249959_n.jpg

I took this with my iphone. About 2 miles from Breckenridge, and there are 4 lakes (inlcuding the highest in North America) -- at close to 12,000 feet.

Also hiked up Peak 9 in Breck. Basically, just ran straight up the ski run, then continued > 1 mile past the highest ski lift (and still didn't hit the peak).

13901329_10155165052714972_8395920661299499317_n.jpg

On Saturday, my New Orleans buddy (who was also doing the race) and WS's cousin hiked up Mount Massive. It was 14 miles round trip, and topped out around 14,400.

13902758_10155175201209972_5798396209113297134_n.jpg

Oh, and lots of mountain goats:

14054911_10155175201534972_6921311774550943262_n.jpg

Moving onto Leadville, I spent the first 3 nights here:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13350130

The Happy Hippie Tie Dye House.....4:20 friendly!! The poor town of Leadville is pretty much a dump, so this place was surprisingly very nice, clean, and comfortable. And they freaking LOVE their weed.

Tuesday night last week, I volunteered The Quandry Crusher, a local, low key event (started by a couple of shit-talking friends) that's a race to the top, and then back down, a 14,200-foot, extremely rocky summit.

14064224_10155181855634972_7819803769759563987_n.jpg

By the way, that wasn't my sign. Some asshole left that garbage on the summit. I took a pic with it, hauled it down, and threw it in the trash. That probably saved a few baby seals or a bald eagle or something.

That night was clutch, too. All of the people running that event were locals, and I ended up making friends with several of them that would come out to the race on Saturday/Sunday to help pace/crew me.

Oh, I also ate a bunch of food. Enough for now.

I ran by there last week to check them out and they are miniature. There were just 2 set up. Is that still the case, cricket?

I just want to be part of whatever UK group gets to use those very expensive VIP porta-pots. It must feel so nice.

That's the game my dad, then 67 years old and recently moved to Florida, sent me a long e-mail vowing not to get sucked in by UK football any longer.

"I grew up in Lexington . . . sat on the bench when I was a kid and they played at Stoll Field . . . attended games for 60 years . . . I'm finally through with them . . . it's probably too late for you, but spare your infant son from a life of chronic disappointment and turn him away . . . "

After 67 years, that's the game that finally broke him.

I quit UK football on September 11, 1993 when Chris Doering caught the winning touchdown with 3 seconds left from the 30 yard line on 3rd and 10 in a game that UK intercepted SEVEN passes and still lost. That was the last time I entered CWS until about 5 years ago for a Halloween game with the crew. That play pretty much defined Kentucky football for me and I havent taken it seriously since then. Never will

There are 4 now and one of them has the paneling that covers the trailer up around it. They're tiny.

I tried getting a picture but I wasn't committed enough to actually get out of my car for a good one.

-Was the 2003 Florida game the one we would've won had Lorenzen not thrown that pick? If so, that's the most irate I've ever been at a sporting event. I'm with BBdK - we're not beating Florida in my lifetime.

Too many men on the field penalty on Derek Abney. The game was OVER absent that monumental f-up.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
WHY NOT BOTH?

There was also a phantom holding call that brought back a TD. Sack punch after sack punch.

I was on the near side where they threw the flag - which was just about as far away from the ball carrier as it could possibly be. That's the moment when I knew it was all going to unravel.

As for the 1993 game, I was high-fiving with a buddy the entire second half while my wife (also a UK grad) skeptically told us to settle down, we weren't going to win. We told her she was Exhibit A of Bill Curry's "Fellowship of the Miserable".

And it was us who felt stupid when the game ended. :weary:

At least this past year when we "may knock off Florida this year" the team pretty much let us know off the bat what the outcome would be. Interception on the 1st series after a dropped pass and then Florida converting on a 4th down for a TD... G'night.

Bolt makes $30 million per year. Pretty sure his girlfriend, soon to be wife, is ok with whatever happens when he competes abroad.

If I'm a major program, I hire Brittany Wagner yesterday. Hard to see someone being better at that job than her.

Watched the first episode of season 2 of "Mr. Robot," and that show is getting really close to having its head up its own ass. Kinda concerning.

Damnit I just watched all season 1 on Saturday. I'm all in. Damnit.

I really liked the pace of this show.

I'm expecting season 2 to be very lonely. We're going to find out more about the real Elliot, I hope. I would like it to get more lonely and weird.

If I'm a major program, I hire Brittany Wagner yesterday. Hard to see someone being better at that job than her.

Only though 4 episodes but her job consists of banging semi-literate athletes and asking them if they have a pencil. I'm thinking you can get that type of production from just about any single mom in a desolate hick town that doesn't want to be a server at Applebees.

Reactions: RMP82
A few notes from a hotel room in Pikeville:

--- I dont understand why anyone lets UK Football get them down. Why not just assume they won't be good (based solely on history)...get excited about the season because football is fun and you get to hang out with your friends and have a blast...if they win get really excited, but expect the bottom to drop out...and if none of those things happen and we have a really cool year (like has happened 2-3 years tops in our lifetime), just consider it like the night with the chick way out of your league that falls in your lap. Isn't that the best way to do UK Football?

--- With that in mind, I am totally all-in, "We're Just Getting Started Bro" ready. I think this team has a lot of talent, maybe the most in a decade, and they are improved from last year. I don't know if that will translate into more wins because I have three questions that I can't answer. (1) Is Barker good? --- Going into the season, I may have said no, but people I respect tell me he may have improved. (2) Is the Defensive Line serviceable? --- I think probably not, which means lots of teams running on us...but we have young talent in the back seven. (3) Is Eddie Gran legit? --- As I talked about on my Podcast with the football guys, I think you need an intellect on the coaching staff. Gran is the one chance we have....the Womens Clinic joke makes me worried, but others speak highly of him. We will know early. Still its UK Football...Why Not, Believe, Finish and all that other stuff.

--- Cal is giddy....that means he thinks we will be really good.

--- I am a little concerned about recruiting for next year. We aren't in the usual great spot. This happened one other year (the Jamal Murray year) and things worked out...but we need 6-8 guys this year. I assume Cal will get it taken care of, but I think we need another big time recruiter on this staff...so I hope Barbee finds a head coaching job this off season.

--- Some of you know my friend Tall (kitty cat shirt)...he gave the worst rehearsal dinner speech ever done at a wedding two weeks ago. I would assume that has happened to someone in this group at some point. I am not sure you can top his however.

--- Moving to Lexington...I don't like any house I have seen. All the small houses aren't nice and all the nice houses are too big. I hate moving.

Have a nice day

A few notes from a hotel room in Pikeville:

--- I dont understand why anyone lets UK Football get them down. Why not just assume they won't be good (based solely on history)...get excited about the season because football is fun and you get to hang out with your friends and have a blast...if they win get really excited, but expect the bottom to drop out...and if none of those things happen and we have a really cool year (like has happened 2-3 years tops in our lifetime), just consider it like the night with the chick way out of your league that falls in your lap. Isn't that the best way to do UK Football?

--- With that in mind, I am totally all-in, "We're Just Getting Started Bro" ready. I think this team has a lot of talent, maybe the most in a decade, and they are improved from last year. I don't know if that will translate into more wins because I have three questions that I can't answer. (1) Is Barker good? --- Going into the season, I may have said no, but people I respect tell me he may have improved. (2) Is the Defensive Line serviceable? --- I think probably not, which means lots of teams running on us...but we have young talent in the back seven. (3) Is Eddie Gran legit? --- As I talked about on my Podcast with the football guys, I think you need an intellect on the coaching staff. Gran is the one chance we have....the Womens Clinic joke makes me worried, but others speak highly of him. We will know early. Still its UK Football...Why Not, Believe, Finish and all that other stuff.

--- Cal is giddy....that means he thinks we will be really good.

--- I am a little concerned about recruiting for next year. We aren't in the usual great spot. This happened one other year (the Jamal Murray year) and things worked out...but we need 6-8 guys this year. I assume Cal will get it taken care of, but I think we need another big time recruiter on this staff...so I hope Barbee finds a head coaching job this off season.

--- Some of you know my friend Tall (kitty cat shirt)...he gave the worst rehearsal dinner speech ever done at a wedding two weeks ago. I would assume that has happened to someone in this group at some point. I am not sure you can top his however.

--- Moving to Lexington...I don't like any house I have seen. All the small houses aren't nice and all the nice houses are too big. I hate moving.

Have a nice day
My dad got his picture with you when y'all did the show a few weeks ago in Pilot Oak. It made his day. I heard y'all had a big turnout and the Lowery's are nice folks. Hope you can come back someday and maybe do the show at the Keg.

Reactions: Cayts74
I've had a run of- believe it or not- really good maid-of-honor speeches. Funny. Well-delivered. Appropriate length. It's been incredible. I didn't think such performances existed from the fairer ones.

I've been to a few weddings/rehearsal dinners where the best man's speech was so awful people left. Not in an angry huff, but more like "yeah, this is awful, going back to the bar and I don't care who sees me" type of deal.

It's always the guy's speech. The girl's speeches always dissolve into a blubbery mess and I think people feel like they have to sit through that for some reason. Chivalry, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT