ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regie Meant gone for the season with personal issues.

Looks like we threw the crystal ball championship trophy out of Commonwealth Stadium, replacing it with the Sugar Bowl trophy.
proxy.jpg

blindssuck.gif

- Last night finished 5th 24hr shift in the last 10 days. SHEW MF WEE. Exhausted. Idiot who made the call schedule (me) forgot to look at the July and August months together. Yikes. Won't happen again.

- As much as I like to bitch about the northeast, this time of year is just great up here. No humidity, temps 75-85, slight breeze. Pretty much a hint of fall every day.

Buuuuuuuuuut...this also is when these assholes begin their nonstop Patriots jabbering. Loathsome.

- I've completely switched over to Powerade Zero. Been drinking it for awhile, tried to drink a regular Powerade last night on call and couldn't handle the sweetness. Barely able to choke it down.

- Signed up for a sprint triathlon a few months back thinking I'd have more than enough time to train on the bike...welp. About to hop on for the 5th time ever, prayers for Sunday morning appreciated.

- The Night Of gets a solid B thus far. Nice little holdover for GOT ending, but leaving a little to be desired.

- Finally caught up on VEEP and Silicon Valley. Christ. Those back to back I giggle/laugh out loud to myself more than any other shows I can remember. Just gold.

- The beaches up here suck. TS. Went to Newport, RI last week (cool town), but the beaches are turribul.

Reactions: tommyg4uk
Recommendation for the doctor. He can stay at places like that, since he isn't a poor anymore.

As a Joe Average, it is absolutely terrifying to me that hospitals/medical providers ask doctors to work shifts like that. I mean, nothing about it makes sense.

We are here today to take the Deposition of Dr. Catholic Back in the matter of Dead Patient v. Big Ass Hospital et al...

Plaintiff Attorney: So your testimony here today is that you had in fact worked five 24 hour shifts within the prior 10 days at the time Mr. Dead Patient came under your care, is that correct?

Dr. Catholic Back: That's correct.

- Rivals-> smh

- Checked out Pardon My Take podcast for the first time today and I actually liked it. Pretty funny. Doesn't take itself too seriously. Pokes fun at sports media. Good sports takes.

- Unless he comes strong with a good guest, I'm done with Simmons HBO show. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't work.

- Paulina >>>>> Gisele. In fact, I'm hardpressed coming up with many women sexier than her.

- Lass was trying to tell me Boston was super hot and humid this time of year- as in more so than here. i was giving her the o_O. No F'ing way. I'm expecting the good ol' "two weeks into September" weather from down here when we go.

- Ballers HATE WATCH hater take. I hate that douchey agent almost as much as I hate the writers on that show. Can't wait to hate it even more next week.

Yeah, Boston definitely isn't hot and humid. I didn't have a/c in 2 of the places I lived during law school...par for the course for most of the student and older apartments tbh. Sucks for a few days in August, but that's about it. The nights are definitely cooler.

Regie Meant gone for the season with personal issues.

Looks like we threw the crystal ball championship trophy out of Commonwealth Stadium, replacing it with the Sugar Bowl trophy.
proxy.jpg

Matt Jones ask why people hate Barnhar(d)t and its stuff like this. Its like he is tone deaf to what the BBN care about. I am not sure if I can forgive him for the new UK logo no matter what else he does here.

-A sprint tri bike is like 12-15 miles. You'll be fine. In fact if you can walk to the fridge without gasping for air you should be able to complete a 12 mile bike.

Only reason someone in decent shape would struggle would be if they couldn't swim.

-Interesting thing going on with my background checks for concealed carry, TSA pre-check and my 100 ton captains license. It's taking FOREVER for these things; 30 business days for TSA, 5 months for concealed carry, 2 months for 100 ton captains license. I wouldn't think much of it but the gal has gotten all of these back in a few weeks at most. And given I've been arrested for alcohol related stuff back in college and she's never been arrested but damn.

I'm not complaining about them doing a good thorough job with these checks, in fact, hats off to them. It's just that it didn't take her any time.

The only thing we can think of is that I spent 3 months in Cairo back in 2005 (I think) and visited Syria and Lebanon. So good on them for double checking when something like that pops up, I just want my dang licenses though.

-100% agree on the full strength Powerade and Gatorade, I'll water them down now if I happen to have a regular one.

-Gal's friend and roomie works at the hospital here and she worked a 16 hour shift yesterday and literally just showered now after getting home at 11 last night. I mean, she's a radiology tech so it's not like she's overly interactive with patients like a nurse or doctor but still you're covered in germs and filth from the hospital, . Do you have to lay on the couch after being all in that environment?

Lexington isn't "Kentucky"

Louisville's 'average' is 88, btw. Madisonville's is 90. Neither of which means anything, really. Usually feels about 105.

Cute of you to pick out the coolest city around for your 'facts' tho.

August sucks.

Reactions: wcc31
I don't love Barnhart or anything, but I'll never understand all the bitching and moaning all the time from BJW. It's wasted energy. No, he hasn't figured out the Rubik's cube that is UK football, but tell me this- when's the last time our lady Cats were ranked Top 5 in track?

Reactions: Mashburned
I mean they are kinda fun to watch just because it's the Olympics. Once every four years is plenty.

And before Dennis chimes in, the calls/shift post was mainly to make fun of myself for scheduling such an absurd schedule. NOT COMPLAINING.

Re: the hours and shifts, anesthesia is a little different than others in a large trauma center. Us and surgeons literally have to be available within minutes for all sorts of emergencies, and it's really hard to staff for that. Options are long shifts and pray you get a little rest/sleep, or do a night shift system (like swimmer's program did).

Despite the absurdity of the 24 hr shifts, if you're lucky and get to sneak a few hours of sleep in (maybe 1/3 of time) you still get your post call day off. Nice to have a random weekday (like today for me) to get real life things done.

And interestingly, and most of this data is from surgery and medicine residents, the institution of the 80 hr workweek restrictions that were made in the 00's have actually led to increased errors made because there are more transitions in care (hand offs from one team to another).

But as it is, residents are completely at the mercy of their institution. Basically no rights, poor pay, no negotiating power (pay set in advance by fed govt), and literally no alternatives.

BUT...I still like my job. Not complaining, just stating realities that are out there.

Team handball is dope though. Played that in gym class way back. I think Kentucky should give up on HS football and focus on creating a culture of team handball powerhouses tbh.

Reactions: legalbeagle123
Team handball was an absolute blast in intramurals. 3x consecutive champ. Pretty sure I played SAE's little bro a few times.

Best non-traditional IM sport IMO, close second was inner tube water polo.

My favorite random summer olympic that I find way more fascinating than I should: weightlifting.

I have no idea why, but watching all of these people from countries I can't pronounce heave ridiculous weights over their head cracks me up. I love it.

I'm good to watch a solid ten minutes straight every time it is on. Unlike, for instance, kayaking which can go get pumped.

Matt Damon has a new movie coming out called The Great Wall. His character is apparently around in 12th century China with absolutely no explanation at all. Everyone else is actually Chinese. Nice to see barriers broken down. Maybe Will Smith can play a Viking next summer.

I am neither a fan of soccer nor Iraq.

I was rooting for Iraq in soccer last night.

Once you learn the rules of rugby, the strategy becomes more obvious.

The rules are weird AF though, not sure how line outs became a thing or who decided how scrums worked, but they make for good entertainment.

I'd much rather watch a full match than 7's though, nothing better than seeing the big guys out there mashing heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT