ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the summer reports that Humphries might start a product of:

(A) The Cal Hype Machine
(B) Cal being pissed at Willis as well as Gabriel not being as advanced as hoped
(C) Humphries getting in great shape and being able to play a littlie
(D) All of the above

E) Willis ain't playing this year, get real

That's what this is. There is no damn reason to play Hump 5 and Bam at the 4.

Under Armour has signed The Rock. He's getting a signature shoe. High top trainer. It's hideous.

CpMnIWuXEAAdVNM.jpg

I missed the cycling events. What did Rio do to them?

Did someone just drive up beside them and push them off the road? Swerve towards them in oncoming traffic? Blow thru a stop red light? Slow roll thru a righthand turn? Pass in the bike lane? Open their car door without looking behind first?

Good.

schools starting back this week. such bullish. August is still summer, kids & families could still be out and about in this state/city doing stuff & spending money.

so the olympic tv model is to jam primetime full of gymnastics/swimming/diving, get huge ratings from women. so why doesnt that stuff get tv time other than just 2 weeks every 4 years?

despite all the previous burnings, I like my football team. bunch of nice looking, fast, good sized athletes from what I saw Saturday. the height on our wideouts is ludicrous. the only thing holding me back from expecting better than 6-6 is question marks at qb & o line. if Young doesnt steal a starting tackle spot, in particular the blindside one.....yikes

offseason Humphries hype is Cal BS. not going to play significant over 15 min time, and ain't gonna start, just silly. just like Willis will not get near the amount of PT that everyone is assuming. Cal will play his most athletic best rebounders best defenders the most time, always has here always will.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
I missed the cycling events. What did Rio do to them?

Did someone just drive up beside them and push them off the road? Swerve towards them in oncoming traffic? Blow thru a stop red light? Slow roll thru a righthand turn? Pass in the bike lane? Open their car door without looking behind first?

Good.
4 broken colars bones, 1 fractured pelvis, 3 fractured vertabrae.

Crazy final descent out of the rain forest left a bunch of riders lying for dead on the side of the road.

Not really the fault of Brazil, as those dumbasses were taking some crazy risks.

And there's CoolCat, naturally, with today's Pro Wrestling update. :joy:

Alex Rodriguez more or less retires. Pretty amusing how desperate the Yanks are to get rid of him.....and yet he's staying on as an advisor?? My guess is he'll be a "work from home" employee. Note: he'll earn $430 million in his career. Touch.

Jim Furyk, in a way that only he can, shoots 58 yesterday. He's probably the only guy on tour who could quietly/under-the-radar break the all-time single round scoring mark. What a stud.

Ichiro with 3,000 hits. And that will forever be an all-time sports debate. Could he have toppled Rose's record? Currently hitting .317 with a .390 obp....and he turns 43 this year. I hate to lay up, but I think it's 50/50 on that hypothetical discussion.

Eli Barron stories usually take an extra day or two to trickle in, for obvious reasons. :beer::beer::beer:

Monday Randoms:

- I've watched George Strait, Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney live all multiple times- and Brad Paisley (who I've now seen twice) puts on the best show of the bunch. Strong overall catalog- mostly energetic songs but also some slow ones. He plays his hits. He's great on the guitar. Lots of energy. Good with the crowd. Also, his multimedia media work is top notch. Does some unique things with the video board for duets with Carrie Underwood, Demi Lovato and Alabama. Had Maddie & Tae (young chick duo who sing "Girl In A Country Song" among others) take the Allison Kraus part of "Whiskey Lullabye."

- The entire concert was free- Paisley was supposed to play the Buckle Up Festival which was canceled so he played a free show at Riverbend. I ended up with pavilion seats straight up from the stage, which were perfect. Plus, he always comes out to play one for the people in the lawn and the stage was 5 feet from us. The lass lost her shit.

- Good seeing fall beers are coming back out. Grabbed some Sam Adams Oktoberfest. :cheers2:

- Finished "Stranger Things" and half way through "Last Chance U" which is absolutely perfect for mid-August. Give me some damn football! :football:

- I don't hate cyclists nearly as much as I do the fat, slow, inconsiderate pieces of shit that are pedestrians, BUT I love how they want all the benefits of sharing the road with cars, yet want to be immune from basic road laws and traffic etiquette. SHARE THE ROAD...while I run this red light.

-
ESPN has lost 11 million subscribers and over a billion dollars in the last 5 years due to cord cutters and millennials' tendency to snub cable.

- Speaking of which, I'm making the leap to Direct TV. TW, who recently took 3 GD months (including 6 visits and probably 15 phone calls) to fix an issue at my place just raised my prices $30. [laughing] Ffffffffffffff yoooooooou.

-
I'm not on the Humphries as a starter bandwagon but I don't see why one would be so dismissive. He showed some things last year as a 17-year-old. He's got some grit, nice hands, decent touch and can affect the game in the paint. Bigs, especially, tend to make the biggest leap between years one and two. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he was a big contributor.

- I can't wait to watch Monk. Dude is electric and I know I'm basing this off all-star games, but seemed to have the feel to play some lead guard.

Are you doing all 400+ miles of the Colorado Trail? Amazing at that altitude...especially since you are basically "running" it.

Brett Favre speech was too long, but the stuff about his dad was pretty :cry:[thumb2]:100points:.

Have the golf bug again...first time in 4+ years. Pumped. But it's amazing how walking a round in heat with a bag on your back will sap the energy. I was exhausted last night.

Saw Jason Bourne last night. Nothing groundbreaking, but an enjoyable action flick nonetheless. Worth seeing on the big screen. Matt Damon looked old though...and that's depressing.

School starts this week. Absolutely ridiculous. First week should be the last week of August, with Labor Day weekend as a nice "last chance" breather.

Team that beat us in the Regional Tournament is kicking ass in the World Series in Florida. I hope they win it.

Watched the Cal Ripken World Series 12s this weekend on FS2. Geez. The team from Japan was ridiculous. They would run rule their Little League counterparts. They allowed 2 extra base hits the entire tournament. Incredible control pitchers (don't think I saw a walk) and defense.

There were some kids in the youth football league this weekend that were giants. Never seen anything like it. The kid across from Ben had to be 150 lbs. Ben is 85, and pretty solid (though he is only a 3rd grader). He would just lean on the big kid...and couldn't move him at all. Kid on the 6th grade team was probably 6'3" and 230 lbs. WTF? Amazing but depressing. My kid is going to be a monster, and he's tiny compared to some of these kids.

Some of the best players in the history of the game, and the players I grew up with, have now retired...Bonds, Clemens, ARod, and Junior. And only one of those 4 will make the HOF. Kind of sad. But they were amazing players nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: parrott and JHB4UK
No. I met a big group of people that are doing the 500ish mile Colorado Trail. Last night was their first stop in town after a week (100 miles) on the trail. So as you can imagine they were thirsty and hungry. We went to Breckenridge Brewery then barhopped a bit.

I'm doing Leadville 100 in 2 weeks. In the meantime just working hard (or hardly working LOLOLOL) from here and taking in the outdoors. 15 mile hike/run up to Mohawk Lakes yesterday. About 11,000 feet.

Echo probably isnt going to be as impactful without prime, but you can still run pandora/spotify premium through it, and use most of the other features.

Ichiro>Rose

Next little mini trip is to the BMW Championship towards the end of the Fedex Cup. Dye Hospitality Tent, overnighter out in Indy... i'll take it.

4X100 is awesome. The 2008 Bei Jing 4X100 relay was one of the more memorable Olympic moments.Phelps yelling "Catch a motherf#cker", announcers basically awarding silver to the US, then Lezak closing it out at the end. Was watching at a bar in Tuscaloosa... place went mad. The sadness from the French was a bonus.

Oktoberfest beers are overrated, imo.

Got a bottle of the Jefferson's Ocean as a gift on Saturday. I have been wanting to try it for some time but couldnt justify $90-$100 on a bottle I wasnt sure if I would even like. There are plenty of $30 bottles I think are excellent. Anyway- it exceeded expectations. Was awesome. Strong taste, has a darker color to it... really good.

With no more classes to attend or chapters to edit, i need to find a new hobby. Going to start by dont nothing for a short period of time. Just work, go home and do whatever. After a few months of that, we'll see... options are unlimited.

Last edited:
-Bourne was good. I thought Damon looked old too but had the opposite feeling, he still looks good for 45 so there's hope.

-I feel you wcc, frontier cable here is terrible. Gal has been on the phone with them including hold for over 4 hours the last 3 days and we still don't have DVR in the bedroom. Ridiculous.

-It's rained down here for 72 hours straight. The dogs are trouncing through 3 inches of water in the backyard. Over it.

-Going to talk to an advisor today about going back to school....:weary::gun:

I can't put Ichiro ahead of Rose. Rose is a complete asshole, but dude had the "it" factor that few athletes have.

Damon looking old only is depressing b/c I'm basically the same age. What happened to the "How about them apples guy?" Just part of growing older I guess, but it's the same thing with ARod retiring, Junior, etc. :grimace:

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
To catch Rose, you'd have to average 200 hits per year for 21 years. [laughing]

That's incredible- not to mention the World Series championships, playing 5-6 positions and all the other stuff. He's an ornery bastard, no doubt, but what a ballplayer.

Reactions: MotorCityKat
I'm not on the Humphries as a starter bandwagon but I don't see why one would be so dismissive. He showed some things last year as a 17-year-old. He's got some grit, nice hands, decent touch and can affect the game in the paint. Bigs, especially, tend to make the biggest leap between years one and two. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he was a big contributor.

If this is directed at me, I'm not being dismissive.

I caught a lot of heat early last season for asking whether one could be sure that Skal was better than Humphries as an NBA prospect. I still stand by it being an open question.

I think Humphries is going to be very good and will play professionally.

At this point, however, I am dubious of Cal starting him next year consistently. Seems to me like something Cal throws out there back channel in the summer to give people something to talk about.

If you ever read (or re-read) "Hustle," (Pete Rose book) try and picture it as a Will Ferrel/ Danny McBride "fall from grace" movie. It is hilarious.

By the end, when he is hanging out with body builders and keeping his cash in the top of his tube socks, it becomes surreal.

The offseasons spent eating bags of circus peanuts in a recliner is also a nice touch.

I actually prefer the more obscure sports in the Olympics. Memorized by ping pong.

Our girl with the head covering is up right now in fencing(or whatever it's called)

* Humphries is going to be solid. His jump shot should come around as his nerves get better. Should also help that he will have an alternate on the block that the opposing team will actually fear.

* Monk is going to have to hit from outside at a decent clip for us to get far. This team is going to be way too easy to defend if we can't find a consistent starter. I know its a common theme with some of Cal's most athletic teams but this is likely to be the worst 3pt% team since his first team. And we obviously don't have the overwhelming talent that team had to offset.

* Cyclists are indeed dbags. Typically why I prefer to ride alone and appear to be the only person who doesn't wear headphones.

* Good opening weekend of the Olympics. Phenomenal road bike course... and :uzi: those bitching about its lack of safety. Fairly commonplace in cycling for those scenarios to transpire, especially when a gold is on the line. Concerned about Cousins killing someone if we play Lithuania. Caught a few minutes of their Brazil game and they essentially have your typical eastern bloc dudes who are 6'9" 325 with a massive gut and have likely spent time in a Russian jail.

* Like seeing the swimmer chick call out the roided up Rusky... unfortunately the U.S. has about 4-5 people on its T&F team who have zero place being allowed to compete. Hopefully Bolt dusts them all

* End of a long ass summer + 4-day work week with vacation waiting at the end. Apologies to pops and Anth, but this guy is doing zero this week.

Llama not adding peppers to his hashbrowns at Waffle House is a let down. Smothered, covered, peppered is the order and once a year or so you add the chili but obviously that isnt something you can endure each visit.

Not going to say that Gisele's entrance will be the highlight of the Olympics but it will be near the top. Mercy.

Reactions: IsRichieGonnaStart
-Some morons started a petition wanting the Bengals to change their name to Harambes. 6000+ people have signed it on change.org. Are you one of them, @MaxPowerrr ?

-The Dutch cyclist that crashed looked like she took the curve too fast or too wide and then couldnt correct quickly enough when she saw the curb. That was brutal.

-Even worse was the French gymnast that snapped his leg during the vault. That's the kind of stuff you see on the football field.

I actually prefer the more obscure sports in the Olympics. Memorized by ping pong.

We turned on ping pong - er, excuse me, TABLE TENNIS - the other night and my 9-year-old could not stop laughing at it. Couple that with my 6-year-old asking, "WHY IS EVERYBODY ON THERE A CHINA PERSON?" and you have a "problematic" evening at the UCL household.

Australia Recap:

*Sydney - Harbour (Aussie spelling) areas were fantastic. Neat old buildings where the first criminals settled. Plenty of great restaurants and pubs. Opera House is amazing. Took a tour inside and a guy was tuning a piano in the main hall. Pretty incredible to hear one key stroke without any amplification. Also did some whale watching and saw several full breaches fairly close.

*Port Douglas - Northern Queensland is like our Florida except they have mean as hell crocodiles instead of alligators. Got to hold a koala (one of the few places in the world where it's legal to do so), feed some 'roos and wallabies, and went on a boat ride to see some crocs. Also snorkeled at the Great Barrier Reef. Got pretty close to a white-tipped reef shark about 4 feet long. It's like swimming in an aquarium. Just gorgeous.

*Outback - Ayers Rock is pretty neat, but that's all they've got out there. Marathon was pretty rough running on very sandy red dirt. Hard to get into any kind of groove. Managed a 9th place in 3:26:54. Only about 200 running the full.

5th continent down, 2 to go.

We turned on ping pong - er, excuse me, TABLE TENNIS - the other night and my 9-year-old could not stop laughing at it. Couple that with my 6-year-old asking, "WHY IS EVERYBODY ON THERE A CHINA PERSON?" and you have a "problematic" evening at the UCL household.

Sounds like the only problem was all the peepee in the Coke.

- Finished Stranger Things ystdy. Everything about it was absolutely fantastic. The attention to detail in terms of the cinematic shooting, the music, outfits, music, synth background, etc was superb. Really got the nostalgia bug going for a kid who grow up in the 80's.

- Fall brews... No can do until mid September.

- Saturday the lass went back to Owensboro for a baby shower. Sat night posted up on my patio with the dog, a cooler, and my speaker for a few hours. There was a slight breeze that evening and the humidity cleared out. May have been the highlight of my summer so far.

Ystdy and today are flat out gorgeous outside. Blue skies, no haze, very low humidity. There was a even a hint of early fall this mng when I got up.

-Some morons started a petition wanting the Bengals to change their name to Harambes. 6000+ people have signed it on change.org. Are you one of them, @MaxPowerrr ?
No. That's stupid. There's enough stupid associated with the Bengals as is, no need to add to it.

Plus Cincinnati had a minor league indoor football team named the Silverbacks already and it failed. It's like I'm the only one that cares about minor league ball history around here anymore.

Can you guys find Weller in stores right now (Lou, Lex, NKY)? South Central is all tapped out and has been for about the last 10 months. That has always been my go-to - even before I knew that it is a close cousin to Pappy. It was cheap(er) and good and now I can't find it.

I didn't see any in Liquor Barn the other day and you can't find Blanton's to save your life right now either.

I didn't see any in Liquor Barn the other day and you can't find Blanton's to save your life right now either.

If in Louisville LB Springhurst had 8-10 bottles $62 of Blantons on SAT, and Costco was down to about 3 bottles at $52

Always a treat finding a little family-owned local diner in a small town that serves a solid Sunday morning breakfast. Bob Evans/Cracker Barrel/IHOP/Wild Eggs have nothing on those places.

Belterra had me digging in my wallet yesterday to take one more crack at the craps table. Glad I did. Unusual rules with big payouts for hitting 2-6 and 8-12 before crapping out. Hit both sides at 34-1 and the full thing paid 175-1 on my $6 bet plus all the table bets I'd been hitting on the way. Crapped out 2 rolls later. Cashed out and went and found my wife moping over the $20 she lost in a slot machine over an hour prior.

Reactions: buckethead1978
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT