ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flipped it over to The Sports Huddle for the first time in years on the way home yesterday, they managed to replace Chris Cross with someone just as bad who sounds like him.

The Cubs haven't won a World Series in 100 years. Cleveland hadn't won a title in any sport in 50 years. The Red Sox hadn't won the World Series since the Babe Ruth era. Leicester City wins the Premier League. Francis Ouimet beats Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in the US Open. American Pharaoh wins the Triple Crown after a 30+ year drought. Texas Western beats Kentucky. Kentucky tries to win 40 games in a season.

These are the stories that make sports special. Yes, we all have our teams, but we also love the game. But the aura and mystique and tradition of the games we watch make them that much more special.
6/10 Richie points. Good effort.

Haven't been to a Cubs game this season. But I have been to a Reds game. Might go to another one this week.

The Cubs haven't won a World Series in 100 years. Cleveland hadn't won a title in any sport in 50 years. The Red Sox hadn't won the World Series since the Babe Ruth era. Leicester City wins the Premier League. Francis Ouimet beats Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in the US Open. American Pharaoh wins the Triple Crown after a 30+ year drought. Texas Western beats Kentucky. Kentucky tries to win 40 games in a season.

These are the stories that make sports special. Yes, we all have our teams, but we also love the game. But the aura and mystique and tradition of the games we watch make them that much more special.

Not going to lie, Wrigley in October is always pretty cool.

Cubs are going to have to beat the Cardinals/Dodgers and Nationals/Giants to go to the World Series. That's a brutal draw. And it will be entertaining to watch as a baseball fan.

Tony's met expectations. True steak nirvana

Saw Woody Allen's Cafe Society this weekend and I give it 3.5 stars out of 4. Great cast and Blake Lively is :fire:. Kristen Stewart has never done anything for me but not too bad in this one in her 1930's getups.
kristen-stewart-jesse-eisenberg-film-woody-allen-cafe-society-32916-30-367x560.jpg

Getting new windows and doors on the home in the next month. Hopefully it goes smooth. Older home house projects just never end.

Went to a Red's game a couple weeks back and parked, shopped and ate at Newport on the Levee. Dewey's pizza was solid and i always enjoy walking over the bridge to and from a Red's game. I was very impressed with how clean Cincy looked and how much work has been done on both sides. First base side, aisle seats, under the uppers protection from sun and rain is always the call on tickets. One step away from food,drinks,bathrooms and Red's shop.

Kiawah next month and i have a tee time set for The Ocean Course. $350 bones:rolleyes: plus tipping the caddy. Early tee time so im walking. Debating whether to tip it out and see how i do or enjoy it a bit more with my score and play one in front of tips. Kind of fun to say you tipped it out but....

Looking forward to the Ryder Cup in a couple months. Gotta get a W in this one.

Hopeful Tiger can comeback for one last run at breaking Snead's mark. Just 4 wins away.
ed76a23c77b01a09bac9045bda3f67cf.jpg

Still occasionally buy a groupon for something but to help them out i usually call them and say instead of buying the groupon online will you just honor that rate.

As I've said before, ballparks and atmosphere are of the utmost importance to me in the MLB playoffs. Fenway, AT&T, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, etc. make things better.

Reactions: roguemocha
As I've said before, ballparks and atmosphere are of the utmost importance to me in the MLB playoffs. Fenway, AT&T, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, etc. make things better.

Add Yankee Stadium to the mix...especially the old one. Hate the Yankees, but watching a World Series game being played in Yankee Stadium is pretty cool. Those Yankees-Red Sox games in 2003 and 2004 were crazy.

Last edited:
As a lurker and infrequent poster nothing to me is more confusing than this cole fella. Apparently went by the name UKO, is a UNC fan (wtf?), cheated on his wife, everyone absolutely hates him in a serious seeming way, but yet he still posts here. Just one of those confusing mysteries that shall never be known I suppose.

My dad didn't have any teams. He was never into sports at all, he only watched UK basketball when it was convenient, he just never cared. So none of that was ingrained in me. There was a family friend who would take us to 8-10 Reds games a year, but this was the early 80's when they were god-awful, so unless Mario Soto was pitching, you basically just went for the decent seats and whatever they were giving away that day(or celebrating...."Farmer's Night", etc.) No idea how I became as sports-obsessed as I was growing up.

Always appreciated my dad spending time trying to talk sports with me, though. He took an increased interest in hoops once Pitino(and Richie) came onto the scene. Took me to the Sweet 16 every year in MS/HS, and would read the sports section of the LHL just so he'd be a bit more in the know.

Like Rax(oh God it pained me to type that), I grew up with a soft spot for the Reds, but no real fandom. Living in NE Ohio during the Indians' run in the mid-late 90's got me into the Tribe, and that's the reason they're my team.

Now the script has been flipped and I have a wife and two daughters who could not care any less about sports, unless they're participating. I've tried countless times to get them to watch or attend ANYTHING with me, to no avail. Turnabout is fair play, ATKOT.

Am I the only one who thought Joe B. Hall was KingLlama's grandfather? :confused:

For the record, I'm a Tigers fan.

And I cheer for whatever team Drew Stubbs is on.

Now if you'll excuse me, this Lou Malnatti pizza isn't gonna eat its self.

Reactions: MotorCityKat
As a lurker and infrequent poster nothing to me is more confusing than this cole fella. Apparently went by the name UKO, is a UNC fan (wtf?), cheated on his wife, everyone absolutely hates him in a serious seeming way, but yet he still posts here. Just one of those confusing mysteries that shall never be known I suppose.

And he wears jorts and gold chains, but besides that you pretty much got it.

Reactions: Ron Mehico

As Willy explained above, he's just a total dickhead.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
You can't even bring up UKFB in here without bitching and moaning and hilarious jokes about how terrible we are for 3 straight pages...and we're considered the UK sports fan cognoscenti. I'm not sure what you expect. It's late July/early August.

I (obviously wrongfully) expect people in the sports and entertainment industry to not mail it in. There are interesting stories and topics out here but (a) you have to get away from the easy and comfortable and (b) that requires some effort.

There isn't nearly as much distance between the best and worst local show as most make there out to be.

In addition to TBS, the Braves have a lot of fans because they have a huge territory. Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, the Carolinas, Northern FL, etc. Almost everyone I know from the Deep South likes the Braves...not over football of course. But for MLB rooting interest, the Braves it is.

Same thing for the Cardinals in the Midwest. Before the Royals, Rockies, the teams in Texas, etc...the Cardinals were the only team between California and the Mississippi River. With a giant radio station (KMOX) that broadcast for thousands of miles. Missouri, Iowa, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, etc. Most of the older generations in those states grew up Cardinal fans.

Last edited:
I (obviously wrongfully) expect people in the sports and entertainment industry to not mail it in. There are interesting stories and topics out here but (a) you have to get away from the easy and comfortable and (b) that requires some effort.

There isn't nearly as much distance between the best and worst local show as most make there out to be.

With all that said, I don't listen to local sports radio.

Strange thing (to me at least):

I frequently have people - usually lawyers - talking about EST, CST, PST, etc. They don't seem to realize that everyone is on freaking Daylight time in the summer.

Which is fine, but just drop the "S" out of the equation, and refer to it as Eastern time, Central time, etc.

If you're going to try to be that precise, get it right dammit.

:rolleyes::confused:

Reactions: MotorCityKat
-I like being on the western edge of the Eastern time zone. In summer, at least.

-Underrated / seldom used compatibility question: Sunrise person or sunset person? I'm sunset, all the way. Not built to wake up early, nor is anyone in my house.

-Cincinnati is now second only to Milwaukee in cities with longest professional sports championship droughts.

Which is odd because I still remember 1990 well and it doesn't seem like that long ago.

I mean, it does as a Reds fan, but not from the perspective that it's among the longest droughts of all pro sports cities.

I've been a Cubs fan for 30 years, partly because of WGN, partly because of the city, and partly to spite all of my friends that were Reds and Cardinals fans. I am enjoying the hell out of this season. The approval of GYERO is of minimal consequence; however, rogue's Cubs fandom is indeed disheartening.

I would never go so far as to say "my Cubs" though. I hate that. The only time I feel like "my" is appropriate is in reference to UK sports.

I am a sunset fan. Sunrise can EAD.

Meh, I give Cincy grief and rightfully so, the food is pretty shitty, especially the ones it's known for. There's also this weird arrogance like they're a true BIG city, which they are certainly not. It's firmly in that 3rd or 4th tier metropolitan area. However, I do like the place. I always enjoy visiting. Love the Reds to death. The food though, I'm not embellishing when I say this, is so far off for a city that size it's laughable.

Congrats on 400k more residents and 2 really really really shitty pro franchises.

Winona is the sort of name that is sexy as hell for a hot hippy girl and would be a disaster for a plain country girl.

Reality bites, I guess.

Mags52 to do a 30 min live TV show on LEX 18 M-F? shoo wee, good luck.

Bill Simmons trying to translate blogging & podcasting to carrying a show taped only once a week ain't going so well

Not built to wake up early, nor is anyone in my house.

I'm built to wake up early and no one else is in my house...

*WHICH IS AWESOME*

That hour or so in the morning with absolute peace and quiet keeps me from going insane.

A nice book, a podcast on headphones, watching women with fake tetas fake an orgasm on the internet, etc.

Sheer bliss.

Reactions: Century Cat
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT