ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part, all construction is built to the minimum of what they could "get away with" based on their technology at the time.

For example, The Empire State Building has 3x more steel (by weight) than neccessary. That's not because they just built things better back then.

It's because they couldn't sharpen their pencils on the math as much as we can and/or produce the more complex structral members that we have today.

I see some of the advantages (less upkeep) with newer homes but I don't think they're built as well structurally speaking than older homes.

Just don't like how in these newly developed subdivisions you don't have any mature trees, the houses are smack right next to each other and many of them look very similar to one another.

Guess it's a matter of taste.
My new place, that I can't live in, is flush with huge, mature trees. Which will probably fall into my house right on to my above the fireplace mounted TV.

The house Adrian was looking at had a wodie pool/deck setup that I thought would be pretty dope being that it was so close to my pad. Oh well. Just wasn't meant to be.

Glad we bought our house when we did (June 2012). Our plan is to stay and make it work for another 5-7 years, then we'll see, I guess. 68 years old and still just as functional. Neither of us give two shits about the ridiculous modern amenities we're seeing in these new construction homes. I mean, HIS AND HER SHOWERS WITH ADJOINING 2,000 SF MUDROOMS THAT FEATURE VAULTED CEILINGS WITH LOCKERS FOR KIDS & TWIN FIRE PITS THE LIVING ROOM IS TOPE AND THE KITCHEN IS GRAY AND THERE IS NO DINING ROOM JUST THIS ROOM OFF THE FOYER THAT IS 3 STORIES TALL FOR SOME REASON AND A COMPLETE WASTE OF SPACE YOULL LOVE THE GRAY THEATER ROOM THE HOUSE IS LOVELY THERE ARE ONLY 78 MORE LOTS BUY NOW

The F out of here...

Yeah, Homerama is terrible -- I agree that shit is tacky AF. The staging going on in there is a joke, not sure how that could ever feel like 'home' to anyone.

Kirk's house ---> our type of place.

Did you go to the one in Norton Commons with 25 houses? Yeah, they had a lot of crazy stuff going on there. Homearama is the worst. I immediately lose $25k+ after each one b/c of some of the new ideas out there. Ugh.

Went to Homearama once for work 4 yrs ago. Was blown away with the amount of people coming through that event.

Last edited:
* Hectic past week so apologies in advance but, did our Offensive Coordinator really make a menstruation joke at Women's Clinic? I mean, jesus

* My house in St. Matts needed a ton of work and was situated between two really bad renters and it sold within the first few hours of being listed. The people that bought did so site unseen at the advice of their realtor. Great spot though.

* Have zero desire to ever live outside of where I do now or outside of the Watterson. I mean I get why one would... but I drink too much to have to drive and $5 Lyft rides to just about anywhere I need to go are a convenient remedy for that.

* Summer entering its last month, long vacation on the horizon and college football about to crank up = :sunglasses:

Reactions: wcc31
-Anyone read The Arm? I bought it for my old man for his birthday. It's about pitchers and the associated arm injuries that many face from Little League up to MLB. I think it really gets into the physiology of the arm and how fragile it is. Sounds pretty interesting.

-Kalamata > black >>>> green

-I'm not really a DIY-ball, but I do miss some of the small homeowner projects and wandering around Lowe's on a Saturday getting ideas. Tough to go back to an apartment after being in a house for 17 years.

-What does Chad do for a living? Never did know.

-Despite my cynicism about the season from a UK standpoint (7-5? [eyeroll]), I'm more than ready for college football. Best time of the year IMO. College Gameday on a cool autumn Saturday morning is heaven for me.

-Hooked on "The Man In The High Castle." Just finished the first season and really looking forward to season 2. For those that haven't heard of it, it's an Amazon series that takes place in 1962 in a world where the Allies lost WWII. The US is split - east of the Rockies is Nazi-controlled, west of the Rockies is Japanese. In between these two is a strip known as the Neutral Zone. I won't get into the whole plot, but it's fascinating.

-It's a shame that primary care physicians seem to be moving toward concierge medicine and its derivatives. I understand why from their standpoint, but my PCP of 25 years now charges $2,000 per year, out-of-pocket, just to be under his care. :mad: So, I went looking for a new PCP. Found one that I sounded great, had great ratings, etc. Turns out she's doing the same thing, albeit for about half the cost. I met with her and really liked her, so I guess I'm shelling out the cash for primary care and saving insurance for the big stuff and emergencies.

Mudrooms (we have two dogs) is a must on our next build in a couple years.

"His and hers showers" is probably a real concept somewhere but the thing that really grinds my gears is the HUGE tubs that take like 100 gallons to fill up and take up 10 square ft of bathroom space that no one will ever use. Glad the gal and I agree on that. Pull that sucker out and make a HUGE shower like we built in the last house.

Our last shower was 7x8, had two rain showerheads and a bench under them running the length of the shower with mirrors facing the entrance. Now that's how you do showers/baths/bathrooms.

Basement & wodie open & modern kitchen, those are really my only two musts.

The kitchens in 90% of the old houses I see within our price range are just awful. Deal breaker.
That's why you buy an old house, destroy all the interior walls, add an addition, redo everything, etc.

Or so the legend goes....

Also- bathtubs in new master bathrooms are used primarily for pet washing and/or luggage storage, so they're invaluable uses of your bathroom real estate, really.

-Be nice if all medicine was that way, similar to the other insurances. Pay a reasonable amount for major issues, pay more if you're fat, drunk, unhealthy and/or smoking. The routine every day stuff pay out of pocket. Instead we're conditioned to run to the doctor every time our throat hurts for $25. When I was looking for a new doc I thought about the concierge deal, because the 2 I had at major providers were shit, then I found a good doctor at a normal practice. Mom and dad love their concierge but they require a ton of visits.

-No desire to live in a new house. I personally think they're awful. We'll probably basically gut and renovate our entire house in the next few years just because we love the location so much.

-Anyone read The Arm? I bought it for my old man for his birthday. It's about pitchers and the associated arm injuries that many face from Little League up to MLB. I think it really gets into the physiology of the arm and how fragile it is. Sounds pretty interesting.
My buddy and Central Hardin's very own Stevie Delabar's arm is the cover of that book. His story is awesome if you haven't seen it. HBO Sports does a great piece on it.

My wife and I have been looking for a new home for a couple of years. Backed out of a contract on a Ball Home next door to Llama last year because I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to kick him in the nuts everyday. Would've been a real Homer/Flanders deal.

I want to build. We've found a nice neighborhood with plenty of available lots. 1 acre. Sort of in the country. We just can't agree on a floor plan. I've got a nice simple "craftsman" plan I really want to build. She wants the most elaborate McMansion she can find. Since I'm planning on building it myself she seems to think we can afford to build practically anything we want. She is a stupid dumb woman and I will be stuck in my dumb shitty house forever because of her.

Really regret not buying the house next to Anth's and turning it into a rental for rowdy college students.

That's why you buy an old house, destroy all the interior walls, add an addition, redo everything, etc.

Or so the legend goes....

Also- bathtubs in new master bathrooms are used primarily for pet washing and/or luggage storage, so they're invaluable uses of your bathroom real estate, really.

Max, I think I may move my luggage to the master bath tub. That would be a good use of that space instead of having it stacked in a pile in the bedroom. Thanks.

-I would love to have a mud room. It would be a great place to sit junk when walking in the door (instead of on the kitchen counter).

-I use my midwife as my PCP. And the chick at Whole Body.

Exactly...you want to make your house feel new & modern inside.

Paying 3-500K for a house in an amazing location, then completely redoing the thing to how we (she) wants it simply isn't feasible for us, or most people with budgets.

She works in Shepherdsville, I work in Valley Station. Her Mom (free fulltime daycare) lives in 40214. We don't "go out". Being close to the Highlands or St. Matthews bars & restaurants matters absolutely zero to us at this point in life, and makes next to no sense logistically.

Oh, and we hate old houses.

-Jimmy Walker en fuego -- another guy who's probably overdue for a Major.

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
* Acute bronchitis, unspecified organism. (bacterial infection)

No pneumonia, no AIDS. Should be back to normal in no time.

Z-Pack, some sort of cough capsules and a couple of nasal sprays.

* End of the month offer change, Stadium LED signage and football program ads due everywhere, New TV ads /scripts due ASAP. I am getting pumped on a minute by minute basis right now and I don't like it a bit.

* Surprise 75th bday party for my MIL at Montgomery Inn tonight. I might be stuck at work.

* Bellydancer, I know a guy who can do that tat for you. Just let me know.

* Much needed steady rain at the Wildcat Willy Estate in Loveland, the Sweetheart of Ohio.

* There are too many houses that look alike in my hood, but I still love it. There are old growth trees all around the perimeter, but none that actually border on my property. I love the old trees, also.

I'm gonna plant a couple trees in my backyard this fall. Which ones grow the fastest?

* Greater Cincy peeps will be excited to know that Ken Mothertouching Broo lives in my subdivision.

* Alright, back to work.

*WCC nailed it on the yardwork. Its 2 hours on the zero turn a week that I have to myself.

*Moved from 1/4 acre to 1.5 acres and am a little overwhelmed. Working on putting creek rock around many of my trees to reduce maintenance in the future.

*Much needed rain /coolcat. Worst summer since the heat wave of 2012.

*Found out this week that I have to leave for Japan on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. I mean to wait until college football starts and then have to leave and miss all of it while on a plane flat blows.

*Baseball is winding down. Won a couple of 10 year old tournaments but not sure the competition was that great. Kids really didn't know the difference so its whatever.

*There has basically been zero UK/UL smack for many months. Just nothing going on. Really hope they get the hammer but as long as it goes without anything reported makes me skeptical.

*Unreal how Ramsey fleeced UL and will totally get away with it.

- Sorry I'll miss JTB this weekend when he comes to Lex. Maybe he can head over to Shillito Park and watch Booker run his kids into outs on the base paths or witness those little shits continuing to miss the cut-off man. Mickey Mouse operation over there in Western LL

- As devastated as most of you will be to hear this, I don't get the time during the day to read/post as I'd like these days with the new gig. Going to be doing some considerable travel back and forth between our sister plants/customers so I need to start building up points --- Marriott or Hilton?

-Marti & Liz's discount shoe store in Murfreesboro (one in Franklin, too) that I've been hitting up for years. Undoubtedly saved a shit ton of coin on brand new/display Cole Haan, J&M, Allen Edmonds, Clarks, etc... Place is a gold mine.

-My dad has probably found two or three hundred golf balls this summer playing around on a small local course he frequents a couple times per week. Wish he'd just take a part time job as a ranger or some shit -- I mean, he's out there enough. #retirement

- Daddiest Dad in GYERO? Ha. I will say Chad definitely nailed the 'point and click' attitude women have when it comes to these home projects. My wife is the worst at this. Especially when she boasts to her fellow hens that 'WE' did this blah blah project. No, bayyybe. I don't see WE getting up on the extension ladder in the foyer painting. I don't see WE out in the garage putting up more shelving. I probably wouldn't be so resentful about the plural possessive pronoun situation but she absolutely blasted me in front out our friends one day when I referred to WE as being pregnant. OK FINE LETS GO THERE. (But good job on bringing home those color swatches, tho. Thanks!)

Forgot to add: WE started up Stranger Things last night on Netflix after we put girl down. Awesome 80's vibe to the show, although the acting is pretty corny (couldn't have found a better guy to play the cop?) The musical score is straight up Terminator 1. Love it. Awesome soundtrack, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT