ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean no question Marquette loses tomorrow so the path to E8 would have been 14-11-10 right?
Counterpoint: if we made the E8 with that path, there would be no heat on Cal, and he could have said "we're this close" - wait til next year.

If we were going to lose, I'm fine that it was in spectacular Round 1 fashion. It grabbed everyone's attention and brought the heat down on him. It made the situation impossible to ignore.

My mom used to occasionally volunteer at battered wives shelters. She would tell us stories the women would tell her - about how they almost always went back to their husbands thinking that this time it will be different. That he'll change. That he'll stop drinking, stop yelling and stop beating them.

People who want Cal back... same energy.

So UL was all in on May and he turns them down for Mich. 😂

It would be an egregious act to have Cal back at this point. If that’s what is about to happen then it will be a BBN revolt. There will be blood.

Last edited:
Counterpoint: if we made the E8 with that path, there would be no heat on Cal, and he could have said "we're this close" - wait til next year.

If we were going to lose, I'm fine that it was in spectacular Round 1 fashion. It grabbed everyone's attention and brought the heat down on him. It made the situation impossible to ignore.
^THIS! All my friends calling saying I’m so sad for Lex, KY, the bars, students, fans, etc, fans of other teams asking me what happened, etc.

I said, “Good, at least now they can’t say well we were so close and do nothing about Cal. If this is what it takes, good.”

If anything this was the best outcome minus a title.

It won’t be fun seeing Cal in a FF with another team but that’s nothing in the next 10 years at UK with a good hire.

Reactions: Stoneule
Hypothetically speaking let’s say Craft gave Mitch his support if they fire Cal as long as Mitch does his due diligence first for the top 3 candidates.

Who those are I’m not sure but probably Jay Wright, Scott Drew and let’s say Pearl.

They all come back not interested for whatever reason.

As fans we want him gone no matter what, but now you are going pretty far down the list and what if the donors say at that point we’re better off keeping who we got and addressing this next season.

I doubt many follow college wrestling but what PSU and Cael Sanderson are doing is wild. They’re smashing all of the vaunted and untouchable records at Iowa and worst part is their doing it with a former Iowa State wrestler and total badass Cael Sanderson.

It would be like if a UT basketball player smashed us in basketball for four years then went on to coach at Louisville and passed our wins’ and titles’ numbers while there and putting about 10 All Americans in their rafters.

Hypothetically speaking let’s say Craft gave Mitch his support if they fire Cal as long as Mitch does his due diligence first for the top 3 candidates.

Who those are I’m not sure but probably Jay Wright, Scott Drew and let’s say Pearl.

They all come back not interested for whatever reason.

As fans we want him gone no matter what, but now you are going pretty far down the list and what if the donors say at that point we’re better off keeping who we got and addressing this next season.
Who are these mfing coaches that are so bad they can’t get to the second weekend of the tourney in 4 years nor win more than one SECT tourney game in the same time?

Who CAN’T do that, besides Cal? Same tourney record as IU & UL in that time frame…

Please tell us WHAT YOU’RE SCARED OF THAT COULD HAPPEN THAT’S WORSE THAN THAT?

Part of me wants to quote Wayne's battered wife post and krazys most recent post just to have a reference.

The number of times I've said, "switch the coaches of these two teams and we'd win by 30" is comically high.

Put the losing aside for 1 minute (even though it's the most egregious part of this) and you'd be looking at a prospective coach that wouldn't antagonize the fanbase, lie about health issues, be extremely rude on national TV and scream his head off the whole game resulting in disappointing upsets due to poor performance.

If the next guy isn't all that and can win a few games, he's already an upgrade.

All I did was present a hypothetical scenario in which I could see Mitch and the admin come to a decision to keep Cal.

I too would love any coach willing to draw up plays and switch defenses.

If they were in this to hire whoever accepts first going down the list then wouldn’t he already be fired? The money is there and the contract makes it pretty damn easy.

HOW can someone hosting a UK talk show this morning say “ I have never heard Cal’s contract had language for an offset if he takes another job”??? The media around UK never ceases to amaze me.

My mom used to occasionally volunteer at battered wives shelters. She would tell us stories the women would tell her - about how they almost always went back to their husbands thinking that this time it will be different. That he'll change. That he'll stop drinking, stop yelling and stop beating them.

People who want Cal back... same energy.

This may be the most apt comparison I’ve seen on here yet in relation to where we are as a fan base.

In fact it leads right in to the whole “WELP!! What if he leaves us and goes somewhere else and wins a title? Oh my God how horrible would that be?!!!??” What in the hell has he done in the last 7 years to make you think all of a sudden that he is going to become John Wooden on the sideline? Every coach here has won a title except for the two alcoholics that couldn’t hack it. Just don’t hire one of those and theoretically we should win another title with a new coach.

Let the bum go. It’s time to start sleeping with someone else that won’t backslap us every chance they get. Plus we won’t have to make any more excuses why we keep putting up with it. Hell we might even find someone willing to get us off again on the reg.

Last edited:
You have to be a f’n coward to want that guy as our coach. Just somebody who fears most things.

Writes in his book the last four years of UK basketball before he arrived was unacceptable. Now insinuated this year we were spoiled by early success. We expect too much while he produces less than those four years.

Have no idea if Mitch will Jetson his ass but he better.

- It’s just time to not be so emotionally or financially invested in this program. I’m older now (bullshit, I’m old) and there are just other *things* out there that are better investments of both.

- The Sweet 16 this week really rekindled some nostalgia and how I grew up loving the sport and the way it is played in this state. Calipari and UK just don’t play that way. He never has. It’s whatever.

- This thread needs to chill out. Don’t let the “fall of Rome” drive you all away from this unique place. I get it if it does. But there is too much other cool stuff happening here.

I’ve experienced the birth of both of my kids and the loss of my parents during my time posting here. It’s more than just a fan page in here. It’s an escape, an outlet, and just a cool way to network with other folks who are likeminded or crazy. At least, that’s the way I view it.

- Really curious as to where Vern stands now. Not to call him out, but to see where people like him are with Cal at this point. He is/was one of the last defenders of him in this thread and I respected it (although I disagreed). How do you view where all of this is now, Vern? Genuinely curious and not flaming.

- I think deep down Cal is a good person and a good coach, but it’s time. If he stays another year, he’s going to be the villain and tarnish his legacy. If he goes now on his terms, he can flip that.

I think he’s extremely sensitive about how he’s respected/viewed in this sport. I think he’s sensitive to the point of being thin-skinned and insecure. Instead of using this as fuel to motivate him, he’s turned it into a way to become a victim in all of this. He doesn’t have what it takes to go scorched earth on his enemies that have “turned” on him (i.e., UK admin, us fans, the state, etc) on the basketball court. Not anymore. But there is another way he can do it.

I think he’ll negotiate his exit and then get out ahead of the PR nightmare. He’s still a master at controlling his message and that’s what he’ll do. I bet Mitch is concerned by it. Somehow, Cal will make UK and BBN be the bad guy and you know what method he’ll use to do it. It’s the same one Rex Chapman is doing right now.

This thing will be ugly and i just don’t have the energy. Whatever.

You have to be a f’n coward to want that guy as our coach. Just somebody who fears most things.

Writes in his book the last four years of UK basketball before he arrived was unacceptable. Now insinuated this year we were spoiled by early success. We expect too much while he produces less than those four years.

Have no idea if Mitch will Jetson his ass but he better.
Didn’t know these two had a podcast let alone were still employed by anyone, but there is a good point made about how Cal subtly gives himself more credit than he is due.

Media get credentials for a reason. Those credentials provide access that the fanbase as a whole just doesn't get but with that comes the responsibility to the consumers/readers/fans to ask questions and provide a novel perspective.

For the local media that have sat through all of the press conferences for the last 5 years without asking the questions that needed to be asked of Cal, the coaching staff, and Mitch... your opinions are pretty meaningless right now.

"I'd like to live a life after I'm done coaching. I'd like to be alive and happy," Calipari said Friday. "What I don't want to be is a bitter, just a bitter old coach. I just don't want to be that. ..."And if that's the case, I'd be surprised if I'd be here longer than 10 years."

Had he stuck to his initial plan, he'd have gone out a king with one of the best runs in program history. Now, he's become that bitter old coach that the fanbase can't wait to run out of town.

Seth Greenberg could barely make the tournament at Virginia Tech. He’s as mediocre as it gets when it comes to coaching. So he can just shut up and sit this one out.

Alabama Football will never be great again…everyone in 2005. And the past 20 years has been the most successful stretch in their history.

Kentucky will never find anyone after Tubby!!!! And we ended up with Calipari who made a great run.

Don’t be scared about the future. The program speaks for itself and will live on.

Brennon-Lemieux-Alexa-Lemieux-012624-6764d6d8a8244210a176d28af77344cf.jpg
Hopefully they're planning a vacation to Dominican Republic together for after they both resign in shame.

For those who watch love is blind with their significant others, Cal is officially Alexa from a few seasons back. Rich ass dad who will give her whatever she needs, hot ass step mom with all of the guidance, networks, and hot chick energy required to pull her up to elite status with her, and she looks like this. Lovely person for all intents and purposes, but majorly underperforming for the stage available to her.

Louisville going to end up with Chris Beard? 👀

Really hoping his extension he just signed after one season keeps him from the UL’s and UCLA’s if Mick Cronin leaves.

If Beard isn’t our coach I’d certainly hope he is somewhere it won’t make issues for us to ever target him if the opportunity arises.

Reactions: roguemocha
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT