ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think once Baylor goes out, which looks to be pretty soon, Mitch will offer Scott Drew the job. If he takes it we got a new coach, if he turns it down, I believe we will be stuck with cal for another year. Something I didn’t think was possible Friday morning.

I’ve always heard a good AD keeps a short list for at least football and men’s hoops, be hard to imagine Mitch not having some kind of idea who Cal’s replacement will be given how piss poor the last few years have been

Reactions: Century Cat
The ACC fielding 25% of the sweet 16 wasn't on my bingo card (although their respective paths for each school was pretty terrible minus Clemson's current performance).

Again, I don't want Drew anywhere near the program, there's something weird about him that would clash with out culture IMO. Not quite BCG but a similar aloofness, if such a thing exists.

Reactions: bbonds
I’ve always heard a good AD keeps a short list for at least football and men’s hoops, be hard to imagine Mitch not having some kind of idea who Cal’s replacement will be given how piss poor the last few years have been
Agree, but I've learned that many things I used to think were hard to imagine, are possible with Mitch.

What happens if big donors just put their NIL money back in their wallets? From what I see and hear, Cal has few friends left --where's he going to get the money to attract key players? Without NIL money, Cal will be playing with a bunch of D2 athletes.

Have no idea where UK basketball gets its' NIL money, (have never fully understood how that works), but wouldn't this put a massive damper on Calipari's ability to field a decent team? Just the threat of withdrawing the money should scare him.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Enjoy the ride.

Yeah he told him to call the show tomorrow. Anything new Brady?
I’m just going to explain what the coaches are doing with NIL. How they don’t even look after the players when it comes to $/deals. It’s pretty insane how they want things done.

You will be pissed at how bad Reeves got screwed.

Brady, was that from this season or was that part of why he took his time in deciding to come back last summer?

I know Matt didn't really add anything we didn't already know but what but it makes me feel more hopeful that he's gone after hearing that. Good to hear the buyout is not a hurdle at all and I agree the scenario of two options is firing out right or forcing him to make staff changes, operations changes, and direct oversight by Mitch is not likely to be something Cal will agree to after doing his own thing for 15 years.

Brady, was that from this season or was that part of why he took his time in deciding to come back last summer?

I know Matt didn't really add anything we didn't already know but what but it makes me feel more hopeful that he's gone after hearing that. Good to hear the buyout is not a hurdle at all and I agree the scenario of two options is firing out right or forcing him to make staff changes, operations changes, and direct oversight by Mitch is not likely to be something Cal will agree to after doing his own thing for 15 years.
At the end of last season once he was the last senior left on the team(that hadn’t moved on yet). We made the decision to offer him 100k to return/sign autographs. He was trying to find other places to go. I wanted to make the offer. Contacted an assistant.

When they didn’t take us up on the offer we just figured Reeves declined. Later this year we found out he was never presented with the offer. When he was out on his own looking for small 5/10k deals to get by. Dropping 20 a night scrounging around for small deals when they had one. That would have helped all year live a pretty good senior year.

Can’t even imagine this season without Reeves now.

I’m just going to explain what the coaches are doing with NIL. How they don’t even look after the players when it comes to $/deals. It’s pretty insane how they want things done.

The one guy who came back and made this season tolerable during the regular season and the only one who showed up in the postseason really. That makes me sick. Of course the coaches $ is guaranteed. So why would they care? I know this will get around especially in the transfer portal. That’s all we need. If Cal can’t even get decent players I don’t want another 9-21 year.

At the end of last season once he was the last senior left on the team(that hadn’t moved on yet). We made the decision to offer him 100k to return/sign autographs. He was trying to find other places to go. I wanted to make the offer. Contacted an assistant.

When they didn’t take us up on the offer we just figured Reeves declined. Later this year we found out he was never presented with the offer. When he was out on his own looking for small 5/10k deals to get by. Dropping 20 a night scrounging around for small deals when they had one. That would have helped all year live a pretty good senior year.

Can’t even imagine this season without Reeves now.

Was that because if didn’t come from within Cal’s group or just a general ineptitude on the staffs part?

Did they ever replace Beisner?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Was that because if didn’t come from within Cal’s group or just a general ineptitude on the staffs part?
I think Antigua took it to Cal. And for whatever reason Cal didn’t want to do it. But that’s my assumption. Antigua never talked to me again until this year when we offered the NIL deal to Reed for next year.

It was well documented that only Oscar’s money was paid mostly in full and the players were all disappointed in deals that were for a dollar figure that didn’t end up close to what they got paid.

That said I’m curious what kind of turnout Ky boys get in a Tennessee gift card shop?

Last edited:
According to RR there was an update 45 mins ago from MJ....idk what format he did this on....but said "Cal is in NJ and has been since the loss". Go shit in his yard Kook....said "he is coming back tomorrow for meeting"....MJ thinks "he end up leaving"....said "1st call is Jay Wright", "2nd is Drew".....this is the latest coaching scuttlebutt on RR...positive news

Rather not have Drew. Call Lloyd and Hurley after Wright IMO

Last edited:
Have there been any reasons given why the auto offer wasn’t accepted? It seems odd at first, but what if they were holding out for Topps or another store to pay for the exclusive?

Have there been any reasons given why the auto offer wasn’t accepted? It seems odd at first, but what if they were holding out for Topps or another store to pay for the exclusive?
This wasn’t an exclusive deal. Antonio didn’t get a deal with Topps. Every autograph deal I do with a UK football athlete it’s NOT exclusive. I want them to make as much as they are worth.

Think about a guy who makes 9 million (base) a year, living in a fat mansion, joking about buying islands, and you've got a kid living in a dorm piecing together deals to make some decent money, marginal NBA prospects (certainly at that time.) and with a limited window of opportunity to capitalize on his career. And you're approached with a 100K deal for the kid and you just... Ignore it. I mean think about that.

If for any reason Cal is still the coach next season I would pray there is a statewide movement to boycott all games. Word of mouth, or even an advertised request for no ticket sales until we have a new coach.

Hit them as hard as possible financially in other ways in addition to NIL.

Maybe this is a Captain Obvious idea; I hope so…

Think about a guy who makes 9 million (base) a year, living in a fat mansion, joking about buying islands, and you've got a kid living in a dorm piecing together deals to make some decent money, marginal NBA prospects (certainly at that time.) and with a limited window of opportunity to capitalize on his career. And you're approached with a 100K deal for the kid and you just... Ignore it. I mean think about that.
Let’s not make complete assumptions though, there could’ve been a million things.

As much money as Cal has made players I find it hard to believe he’d just say, “meh eff it, ignore that guy.”

I also don’t want to think bad of Cal as a human as badly as he’s disappointed me with his latest coaching.

This wasn’t an exclusive deal. Antonio didn’t get a deal with Topps. Every autograph deal I do with a UK football athlete it’s NOT exclusive. I want them to make as much as they are worth.
Sorry, my impression from your interview last summer on Sports Card Nonsense was you had Levis as an exclusive and sold those rights. I just re-listened and it sounded like you did sell the rights you had so the manufacturer could have exclusive rights.

I’m a collector and obviously don’t know how this side of the hobby works, but is it possible that the offer wasn’t passed along because they didn’t want to hurt the chances of working out a deal with a manufacturer or another store coming in for a signing.

Again, no clue how this works, but it seems there might be an answer other than just deciding Antonio didn’t need the money.

Let’s not make complete assumptions though, there could’ve been a million things.

As much money as Cal has made players I find it hard to believe he’d just say, “meh eff it, ignore that guy.”

I also don’t want to think bad of Cal as a human as badly as he’s disappointed me with his latest coaching.
I hope you're right, he pisses me off to no end, but I genuinely hope he wouldn't be that apathetic about something like that. Seems like they would've at least gotten back to him and told him their reservations or whatever. Make an effort to work it out. I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT