ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The common denominator on the successful tourney teams is not metrics/algorithms…
It’s well-coached, high IQ mature basketball teams that can scheme good stuff on offense and defense on the fly.

Nothing to do with dictating a style of play or 5 star dudes.

In the words of Mark Stoops - “Multiple” with “high capacity”.

Opposing coaches are too good at neutralizing studs and taking away types of shots.

I don’t think the lesser teams have gotten better so much as the elite teams have gotten worse. Compare the rosters of today’s first two lines to the early 00s or 90s.
Eh. I think it is both. The Final Four teams this year are loaded with veteran talent that was largely developed in their respective programs or from transfers from other decent schools.

The extra COVID year and transfer portal have created a situation where these midmajors are older and, arguably, more talented than ever before. Of the Elite Eight, only UConn, Texas, and (to a lesser extent) Gonzaga have a history of getting highly recruited freshmen.

I think what you are seeing is something similar to the 90s where freshmen have to be a generational talent to lead a deep NCAA run and those guys (to the degree the even exist right now) are either in the G League or overseas.

I'm oddly hopeful that this will be great for college basketball in the long run. Roster turnover sucks for fans unless you're getting John Walls, etc. Once the NIL and transfer portal rules get stabilized, it should actually help the bluebloods create stable rosters where players improve every year. That's the college basketball we all grew up worshipping.

Reactions: Midway Cat
I'm oddly hopeful that this will be great for college basketball in the long run. Roster turnover sucks for fans unless you're getting John Walls, etc. Once the NIL and transfer portal rules get stabilized, it should actually help the bluebloods create stable rosters where players improve every year. That's the college basketball we all grew up worshipping.

What? There are like 600 kids per year in the portal it seems. What is stable about that?

Hell 70% of our roster was portal players.

That is no different than relying on FR if it’s an annual turnover deal.

Interesting to take a look at the Cancer Bracket this morning. Mostly importantly, UKO has been eliminated from the possibility of winning. Some scenarios playing out....

- Wodie Sloot's cousin has UConn in the title game. If that happens, he wins.
- Anth's cousin and Bonzo do as well, but they're currently behind in points
- Wodie Sloot's cousin also has a lock on dead last place. Having the 1st and Last overall bracket has to be an all-timer.
- If UConn does NOT go to the title game, it looks like some dude named Mark is gonna win
- nobody will have the National Champion pick correct

Just a reminder -- UKO will *not* win this year, no matter what. Thank you jesus.

Reactions: Wodie Sloot
-Cal starts Livingston the whole season, when he had no business playing, and Livingston leaves(allegedly) as soon as the whistle blows. Hilarious.

-Go find the two best shooters and give them Oscar's NIL money. Then sit them on the bench and destroy their confidence.

-So we are getting Reeves and Ugo back? Any word on Adou?

-Covid year definitely changed things. Same with NIL. Same with portal. They don't have to run off to play in the G League, Overseas, or hope for a 2 way contract now. Transfer to a guaranteed spot and make some NIL.

-Days getting longer, everything turning green, beautiful outside. April next week. F4, Masters. Shew. TIWWDT

-Facebook memories have been filed with better time(UKBB). Appears we beat UNC on this day to go to a F4.

-Gotta wonder if Mark Few can ever get it done? They have to feel like this was a big missed opp.

-UCONN is weird. Win the banner and they are easily the most succesful NCAAT team over the last 25 years. Yet, they still don't feel like they belong at the big boy table.. This would give them more actual titles than KU and tie Duke. They obviously belong there but it's hard to take them serious. Hopefully they blew their wad this weekend.

One of the biggest takeaways from watching the tournament this year, is most every coach I see doesn’t act like a total effing clown on the sideline, unlike our guy.
Agreed. The other thing is that the era of coaches trying to orchestrate every single possession seems to be waning. These coaches seem to let the players play.

Reactions: jayroon
-UCONN is weird. Win the banner and they are easily the most succesful NCAAT team over the last 25 years. Yet, they still don't feel like they belong at the big boy table.. This would give them more actual titles than KU and tie Duke. They obviously belong there but it's hard to take them serious. Hopefully they blew their wad this weekend.
They seem to be wildly inconsistent. Either competing for a title or sucking ass.

Reactions: pretzel__logic
I’m just afraid San Diego State is only going to encourage Cal in terms of play style. That Creighton game was only “good” because it was close. Viewing-wise, it was an abortion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kennedy_UK
At one point in the second half neither team had scored in over 5 mins. That’s how a team that scored 57 points managed to go to the final four. College bball is awesome!

It’s just too easy for you all to sit back and cherry pick from ALL the teams that play and are rostered different than UK, and we should be that!

I’m a fool I guess, but with Oscar gone and the roster built on lead guards that can score and post players that can protect the rim on defense I just feel like we’ll be back to something Cal understands.

It shouldn’t be this way, but I think he has been at a loss with Oscar and had no clue how to strategize a consistent game plan.

Like I said I’m an admitted fool.

It’s just too easy for you all to sit back and cherry pick from ALL the teams that play and are rostered different than UK, and we should be that!

I’m a fool I guess, but with Oscar gone and the roster built on lead guards that can score and post players that can protect the rim on defense I just feel like we’ll be back to something Cal understands.

It shouldn’t be this way, but I think he has been at a loss with Oscar and had no clue how to strategize a consistent game plan.

Like I said I’m an admitted fool.
There’s something to this imo. You had to play Oscar, but if Cal doesn’t have a 5 who can switch, block, etc., his defense doesn’t really work.

I don’t think the lesser teams have gotten better so much as the elite teams have gotten worse. Compare the rosters of today’s first two lines to the early 00s or 90s.

Different era's have no bearing. The "lesser" teams are most certainly better "basketball" players than before. Way too much cred is placed on the # of stars beside a recruits name in regards to the blue blood rosters and their perceived elite status.

Adios, Sahvir.

Marilyn Monroe Goodbye GIF

I know it won't matter because we probably won't make it past the Sweet 16 even if Cal has an entire roster full of Monstars, but I really do like Jameer Nelson Jr. as a grab out of the portal. Small, yes, but can shoot, finish, and definitely has the bloodlines. Think he'd make a great backcourt mate with Wagner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT