ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 out of the 8 Elite Eight teams’ identify is not their defensive style.

The #1 and #2 ranked KenPom defenses have been bounced.

If you can’t score, you won’t advance. Point blank. Period.

It’s a new era,
But if you can't hold the opponent less points than you have, you can't advance

Basically the last 20 champs have been both top 20 kenpom offense and defense. Only 1 team left that meets that standard I think.

Edit: My bad 2 teams. UConn and Texas

Might get bagged on a little for this, but just got in from seeing Taylor Swift with my wife and some friends in Vegas. I like some of the music fine or whatever, but…

What an unreal performance. Total production, and 3 straight hours with 0 break. Lights, pyro, the works.

And that stadium is just unreal… so nice. Seats had more legroom and space than any non club area I’ve ever sat in. So slick with the natural light coming in the roof too. Going ahead and slapping the final four whatever year it’s out here on the “must do” list.

Had an absolute blast and wasn’t expecting that.

Think Texas wins it now. Imagine the ratings for the NC game will not be ideal but maybe it’s much better because so many without a real rooting interest will tune in to see a brand new champion crowned (praying UConn gets bounced).

Last edited:
- If you want Texas to hire Cal, the last thing you'd need them to do is win it all. Because if they win it all and don't give Terry the permanent job, they'd be boom roasted for all of eternity.

- Was way out in front on Brian Dutcher. He's a midwestern guy...really surprised Notre Dame didn't give him more of a look (maybe they did, I just never saw him mentioned). Feels like he'd be a replacement candidate at Michigan or MSU when Howard or Izzo leave.

- That's the most underrated thing about Beard. His final Texas Tech rosters were beautifully-constructed. His first Texas team was him trying to bridge the gap and bring in whoever he could find (see: Askew, Devin) but he knows how to build a team.

- Steve Lappas is as bad in the booth as he is courtside. Hummel should be on CBS' coverage somewhere next year. Too young and too good to be radio-only during the tournament. Would be a perfect replacement for Spanarkel.

- Give me UConn and K-State. Love a good story. Same goes for Creighton and Texas. Who knows maybe one day our team will win

- If you want Texas to hire Cal, the last thing you'd need them to do is win it all. Because if they win it all and don't give Terry the permanent job, they'd be boom roasted for all of eternity.

- Was way out in front on Brian Dutcher. He's a midwestern guy...really surprised Notre Dame didn't give him more of a look (maybe they did, I just never saw him mentioned). Feels like he'd be a replacement candidate at Michigan or MSU when Howard or Izzo leave.

- That's the most underrated thing about Beard. His final Texas Tech rosters were beautifully-constructed. His first Texas team was him trying to bridge the gap and bring in whoever he could find (see: Askew, Devin) but he knows how to build a team.

- Steve Lappas is as bad in the booth as he is courtside. Hummel should be on CBS' coverage somewhere next year. Too young and too good to be radio-only during the tournament. Would be a perfect replacement for Spanarkel.

- Give me UConn and K-State. Love a good story. Same goes for Creighton and Texas. Who knows maybe one day our team will win
Was a joke man

Have had this conversation before with buddies. Sure the hell has to be up there.

I’ve always liked Nantz.
I don’t. He a schmarmy cheesedick.

Haven’t had any use for him or Phil Simms since MY Cincinnati Bungles got absolutely hosed/pissed themselves at the end of the playoff game against Pittsburgh in 2015. F that guy.

To quote Max, so glad I got JoeyB in my life.

But back to the point, yeah he’s had a pretty good life.

Sure would be nice to wake up early on the Saturday morning of an Elite 8 full of nervous energy and piss & vinegar counting down the minutes to tip-off but maybe that’s too much to ask these days as a Kentucky fan.

Who knows.. Maybe one day we’ll advance to the second weekend again but until then Cal can just keep collecting checks answering to nobody in Lexington and MilqueToast can worry about if the plebeians should be allowed to consume beer this fall at Commonwealth.

- Tell ya what Kentuckian and BBN member J. Kyle Mann of The Ringer is as good of college basketball analyst as there is right now. Also like Goodman, Hummel and Vecenie.

- Had a hunch pre-bracket Oats still had some lessons to learn. I still think he has big upside for a blue blood.

- I’d say Texas is the best constructed team, UConn is playing the best and Gonzaga has the best player.

- Texas and Miami both have a few guards who can attack, dish, shoot and finish. None were elite recruits. Most all were transfers. Maybe Cal needs to start EVALUATING better.

- No sport is more affected by officiating than college basketball- where the refs are both horrible and relevant to outcomes. I mean shit, Miller should have had #3 in the first half and they called the foul then bizarrely gave it to the wrong player. The incompetence knows no bounds.

- Obviously, I’d like UConn to lose. After that, I don’t really have much rooting interest which is a great thing at this moment in the tournament.

- Have been wondering for a few years why no bigger school has made a run at McDermott. He’s rarely mentioned. What gives?

- Formulas evolve but seemingly in this era you need:

* 3-4 quick guards who can create, shoot and defend
* Strong rim protection
* Defensive versatility, preferably switchability 1-4
* Scorers, creators and shooters 1-4
* If you have a bigger wing who can score, gravy.

- Tell ya what Kentuckian and BBN member J. Kyle Mann of The Ringer is as good of college basketball analyst as there is right now. Also like Goodman, Hummel and Vecenie.

- Had a hunch pre-bracket Oats still had some lessons to learn. I still think he has big upside for a blue blood.

- I’d say Texas is the best constructed team, UConn is playing the best and Gonzaga has the best player.

- Texas and Miami both have a few guards who can attack, dish, shoot and finish. None were elite recruits. Most all were transfers. Maybe Cal needs to start EVALUATING better.

- No sport is more affected by officiating than college basketball- where the refs are both horrible and relevant to outcomes. I mean shit, Miller should have had #3 in the first half and they called the foul then bizarrely gave it to the wrong player. The incompetence knows no bounds.

- Obviously, I’d like UConn to lose. After that, I don’t really have much rooting interest which is a great thing at this moment in the tournament.

- Have been wondering for a few years why no bigger school has made a run at McDermott. He’s rarely mentioned. What gives?

- Formulas evolve but seemingly in this era you need:

* 3-4 quick guards who can create, shoot and defend
* Strong rim protection
* Defensive versatility, preferably switchability 1-4
* Scorers, creators and shooters 1-4
And good spacing. Man I’m envious of these teams spacing.

He had a pretty rough run at Iowa State pre-Hoiberg, and I think that has probably followed him ever since.

I'm sure he'll get another sniff, but he may not be in a hurry to leave Creigton. They have a nice arena with a large following, a great conference, strong local NIL support in Omaha, etc. May end up being one of those Few-esque guys who is completely comfortable and can win where he already is.

UConn needs to be the next team out, but damn. They look scary to me. Alabama is free to get their asses kicked ASAP too.

Today's brand of basketball at any level is a shooter/scorer's dream. If you don't have enough firepower, you're not going to be very successful. See, the University of Kentucky and the University of Tennessee. That's why I believe Houston is on borrowed time as well.
Stickin to my guns that this man could do a better job than our current bum

Reactions: grantbob
Hey Brady, I saw your UKOrtho post. I'd figured I would tell you here that the guy isn't bullshitting. His sources are Ulis and Travis Perry's dad. Ulis called Perry's dad and told Travis to wait to sign anywhere until after the summer. Said Cal was gone. Now, will he leave? Probably not. But he was just passing along what he heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT