ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of highly of Mack, and believe UL will be pretty good be right year but what am I missing here?

JORDAN is a player but he, some other ok pieces from last year and THE SUPER 6 = top 5 team?

I think people who don't really understand college basketball, which includes a lot of writers and announcers, often just assume that if a team has most of their guys back they just automatically get a lot better. There's a ceiling on what experience can do for you.

Louisville's team next year is going to be most of the guys from a 7-seed, first round loser that now play together a little bit better, with a couple of good recruits that actually crack the rotation. Williamson is good. He's not going to be their best player right away though.

They don't just automatically double in talent because they're a year older. They'll be good. Top 20. But Jordan Nwora is not the best player on the #2 team in the country.

There's a ceiling on what experience can do for you.

I agree with everything you said but I think you are putting too fine a point on it.

College basketball is a screwy sport that is antiquated. There are at a maximum 40 games and only 6 that really matter. Talent is absolutely more important than experience but this isn't 2010 when Cal could load up on Wall, Cousins, etc.

If the talent that is available is more dispersed, I think the experience of guys playing with each other for multiple years is going to become more important than it was.

I think the key is to learn when a player is capable of taking a leap and when they've maxed out their ability. It's also important to know when a coaching staff seems capable of helping the player make that leap.

Mack is great at maximizing his players, and to his credit Nwora made a big leap last year. I think it's unfair to expect him to have another level beyond that though. He's not Donovan Mitchell. And he gets lost at times when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. I just don't think you can be a top five team with him as your best player and no other stars.

Reactions: Hankshaker
giphy.gif

Reactions: jcrow10
Yes, never bet against Rick Stansbury ... he's likely playing with a bigger pile of cash than you.

-That's how I've always taken Goodman's comments about him. Pretty sure that in the past, Goodman has even replaced the s's in Stansbury's name with dollar signs. It's not a comment on his coaching acumen, that's for sure.

-Still ridiculous to look at anyone's Top 25 list. Still have to deal with transfers and reclassifications. Wake me up when July ends, basically.

-HAVING SAID THAT, putting Louisville ahead of Kentucky is sheer stupidity.

-Wonder if Cal will reach out to Grimes about sitting out a year, then taking over. The only PG he really seems in on in the 2020 class is Sharife Cooper, and he seems like an Auburn lean.

-Juwan Howard adding Phil Martelli to his staff is a GENIUS move, if it happens.

-If I see an elite recruit listing Oregon as one of their favorites, I instinctively want Cal to look elsewhere.

-When is it too early to buy a college football preview mag? Please don't say May 29th.

-Still a lot of rumblings Cooper will move up a year along with several other 2020 guys. I'd take Grimes though. Billy Hoots doesn't have the patience with his young guards to let them play through mistakes.

-You're right about the Oregon thing and they're in there with LSU on Dante. I'm good with letting that dude move on. Todd or Omoruyi would be fine with me though. Big upside projects.

-If Okie State were to land Cunningham and Todd... then we'd know the gloves were finally off with paying these dudes and everyone took the FBI thing as justification to blatantly pay up. Quick, name the coach of OSU?

-One of my co-workers grandma loves baking for us... she just dropped off about 50 cupcakes, ton of bourbon balls, buckeyes, no bakes. [sick] Hadn't eaten sweets or desert in 3 weeks and been on the 12p first meal plan. Think I'm sitting well north of 1500 calories before 9am.

Kansas more than any other school is the last blue blood where I'd send a one and done level player. Self has no issue burying a guy if he's not ready right away.

How many of those guys over the years for one reason or another have wound up getting lost in the shuffle or hanging around for 2-3 years? Bragg, Diallo, Selby, Grimes, Alexander.... Just off the top of my head. You go to Kansas and you're not an off-the-charts guy like Josh Jackson, you're risking your money.

I’ll be honest- I can’t keep track of college basketball players outside of UK hardly anymore these days what with OAD and TRANSFER PORTALS!!!!!! causing turnover.

Also I’m getting old and can’t even remember the name of the Bengals’ head coach.

But I do got Simpsons gifs for daaaayyyssss

Reactions: Col. Angus
-Still a lot of rumblings Cooper will move up a year along with several other 2020 guys. I'd take Grimes though. Billy Hoots doesn't have the patience with his young guards to let them play through mistakes.

Eh, I wouldn't say that -- he's had countless guards who struggled early and became All Americans later. Grimes was just outplayed by the less-heralded Ochai Agbaji, he flat took his spot. Of course, Dotson was a freshman as well.

The reason so many of Self's guys don't work out is b/c they're mostly knuckleheads & questionable characters.

Reactions: jayroon
- Last day of school. We started on August 22nd so here we are.

- College basketball has basically become the last stop for AAU. It's all about the individual player's best interests now so there will hardly ever be any consistency and longevity with teams. Adapt or die. Of course, these mid-major teams may put together a run with 4 year starters and make all of the CBB writers hard. But ultimately many of those guys are looking to get lucky and grad transfer to a power-5 team in hopes of getting drafted/playing overseas.

- Sublime "Summertime" stuck in my head.

- Our summer basketball slate starts next week. We will have one practice under our belt and then BOOM. I have 7 seniors this year so those jackwagons should know what to do. By this time next week I will be visiting ol' Stans on The HIll at his team camp. O/U on the number of times I see him - 0.5.

- I don't guess I've drunk an IPA in about 2+ years. I've lost interest, I guess.

- So this Chernobyl show is on Amazon Prime maybe? May give it a look if so. Not to go all BBdK here, but I haven't really watched anything on TV since LOST. "Not even _________." No, not even that. With that said, I'm checking out Friday Night Lights for the first time. Pretty good show. Y'all seen it?

- Shoutout to 6 disk CD changers! The real MVP of the 90s.

Reactions: grantbob
- Our summer basketball slate starts next week. We will have one practice under our belt and then BOOM. I have 7 seniors this year so those jackwagons should know what to do. By this time next week I will be visiting ol' Stans on The HIll at his team camp. O/U on the number of times I see him - 0.5.
We hit up the WKU Basketball Camp every year when I played. The gym was always hotter than shit, and the dorms sucked, but it still was a good team camp experience.

Reactions: Strokin_Bandit
Eh, I wouldn't say that -- he's had countless guards who struggled early and became All Americans later. Grimes was just outplayed by the less-heralded Ochai Agbaji, he flat took his spot. Of course, Dotson was a freshman as well.

The reason so many of Self's guys don't work out is b/c they're mostly knuckleheads & questionable characters.
I guess he buys you pitchers of cheap demestos at the Augusta Hoots as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT