ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the Bucks Cavs game right now. LeBron vs Greek Freak. Wade Love Bledsoe Liggins etc. Yeah having something like this in Louisville would suck. Goodness my town is backwards.

Counterpoint:
Ken-Luther-leads-the-pre-game-ritual-cortege-to-Sugger-Field.jpg

Max Duffy

He mainly played basketball as a junior and only converted to Australian rules football after missing selection in a state squad. He was not selected in the first two AFL drafts that he nominated for, and was working as a tree lopper while playing for East Fremantle in the West Australian Football League (WAFL) when he was recruited with 39th draft pick in the 2012 AFL Draft

Worth the hype imo

And I just can’t expect that Chance Poore is going to make a single field goal in his entire UK career.

Randoms for the Season:

- QB recruiting is probably the one where it’s most important to look at your in-team competition and UK’s is low.

- Calling it now- Wiseman will reclassify and according to Slater, UK is the only team with a shot. Think he’s keeping it on the low because it’s the smart move.

- Can’t believe how good Trae Young is. How did the recruiting analysts miss so badly on him? He was like the #2 ranked HS soph in the country and by his senior year was barely Top 20.

- Three years ago today, the Wildcats put up one of the three most impressive UK halves I’ve ever witnessed (the other two being LSU ‘94 and LSU ‘96) when we were up 41-7 at half against UCLA. I remember just watching that game with my family and giggling uncontrollably.

- Yes Cal has struggled with Top 5ers a bit of late but he’s also getting some elite multiyear guys who may pay bigger dividends down the road- Green, Washington and SGA. Then we have guys like Herro and Johnson coming in next year.

- Listened to a podcast with Woj or sone other bigtime insider and he really doesn’t believe Silver will be able to get the NBA front office guys to go along with abolishing OAD. Said it would be a tough sell.

- Love how all the sports media and Twitter geeks keep touting that the NBA is catching the NFL in popularity...when it’s not even close when you look at the numbers. Most sports fans aren’t clever analytics geeks who live in NYC and LA and spend all day on Twitter. Get out of your bubble or shut up.

Same thing with soccer’s surging popularity- the numbers don’t show it. The numbers say the MLS is in dire straits.

- Christmas 5:

“Christmas All Over Again” Tom Petty
“What Christmas Means To Me” Stevie Wonder
“White Christmas” Otis Redding
“Last Christmas” Wham!
“Underneath the Tree” Kelly Clarkson

- And I am OUT.

- I really like where this UK squad is right now. I see progress each game. I love how we can get points in so many ways. Virginia Tech was a solid test bc they're similar to what we'll be seeing in the SEC, which will provide zero easy games. Even LSU will be a grind. But that's great. I've always said the SEC is a good preparation league in terms of athleticism and physicality. Now teams are actually good so come March this squad will be very well tested.

I keep hearing this is an intent bunch, always aiming to please Cal. If that's the case then I see no reason why we shouldn't continue to improve. The last 2 teams came strong out of the gate but then didn't quite get it fully together come tourney time. This group feels like they're on a steady incline.

- The talent in the NBA is far superior, of course, but it will never be a better product than college. College Basketball is the greatest thing in the universe. And those of us who are lucky enough to reside in the Kentuckiana area live in the center of that universe. What a wonderful place to be!

- Can’t believe how good Trae Young is. How did the recruiting analysts miss so badly on him? He was like the #2 ranked HS soph in the country and by his senior year was barely Top 20.

Well, since you are a self proclaimed college basketball, you should know that recruiting isn't an exact science, especially after the first half a dozen players or so. And despite your deficiencies, you should have seen that Young is a 5 *, and finished at #16 with two pretty good PG's ahead of him, of which both are doing pretty well so far. So to state the recruiting analysts missed badly is a huge swing and miss, as per your norm.

Christmas sprinkles.

It’s pretty mind blowing that we managed to get TD Terry when he was being recruited by Scott Frost, probably the hottest name in coaching with an incredible offense, and Dan Mullen, a guy who is fantastic with quarterbacks.

I mean, if we're being honest here we obviously bought the guy. I'm more than OK with that, though.

Well, since you are a self proclaimed college basketball, you should know that recruiting isn't an exact science, especially after the first half a dozen players or so. And despite your deficiencies, you should have seen that Young is a 5 *, and finished at #16 with two pretty good PG's ahead of him, of which both are doing pretty well so far. So to state the recruiting analysts missed badly is a huge swing and miss, as per your norm.

Christmas sprinkles.

Counterpoint:

2IpgxTQ.gif

If we’re being honest with ourselves, and it took me a long time to come around on this, your average non-UK cbb game <<<<<<<<< average NBA game.

I mean unless you love fouls and sloppy ball movement.

The talent in the NBA is far superior, of course, but it will never be a better product than college. College Basketball is the greatest thing in the universe. And those of us who are lucky enough to reside in the Kentuckiana area live in the center of that universe. What a wonderful place to be!

Don't let your love for CBB hide the fact that the product itself is in the stone ages. I love it more than anything but the NBA is light years ahead in every regard save the magic of the NCAA Tourney.

Do you ever look back and see how effing stupid a 45 second shot clock was? I mean, lol WTF was that about? Or when we (hopefully) roll our eyes when I tell my kids about alternate possession jump balls, 5 foul DQ's or the arbitrary 'EVERYTHING IS A CHARGE' call the zebras give anything close to a 50/50 play...

^ this is what we're talking about when we refer to product, bruh.

The officiating is certainly light years ahead but since it’s my favorite sport and I have a 38-year vested interest, the average college basketball game is much more fun and interesting to me than any NBA game.

I know many of you and every sportswriter loves to tout the opposite, but I don’t care.

I'm reminded of a USA Today column about rule changes from 3 years ago. Couple of snippets...

Many coaches applaud the officiating change because it was intended to increase scoring and reduce the risk of injuries that could occur from collisions near the basket. But others point to players such as Marquette's Chris Otule, a big man with a limited offensive skill set who found a niche by sacrificing his body to take charges.

"You have a completely selfless 6-foot-10, 270-pound kid who will rotate over and stand in front of a guard and fall down," Marquette assistant Brad Autry said. "He will take it directly in the chest. And because you want more scoring, you are going to discourage that? That's a good rule?

(Yes. Yes, it is.)

"He has gotten some calls, but it's frustrating. Don't modify the charge-block rule. That is what college basketball is about. That is why people watch it instead of the NBA."

"I am personally an old-school guy," said Underwood, the former associate head coach at Kansas State. "We had a guy at Kansas state, Will Spradling, who might have led the free world in charges his first two years. It allowed him to play. It allows an undersized big man to play who can't get up and block shots. There's other ways to increase scoring that don't jeopardize the purity of the game."

#PRODUCT

BTW, eff Chris Otule. 6-10 and your thing is taking charges? Get pumped six ways from Sunday. I remember Chris Otule. Dude was a tank. Couldn't knock him down with a baseball bat, but he was a charge guy. GTFOH with that bush league crap.

A Knicks fan shouldn't be Team NBA either after all these years. But here we are. Can't wait for the Xmas marathon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT