ADVERTISEMENT

Greenberg expects Oscar back…

I hope Oscar comes back (warts and all)...but I have to agree with this statement. Cal put out what he did before Oscar said a thing....so I'm guess he's not back at UK.

But a lineup of

PG - Wagner
SG - Reeves
SF - Edwards
PF -Bradshaw
C - Oscar

Bench
Shep
Dilly (I know he'd not likely play off bench)
Ware
Thiero

I'd love to see that and go to war with that group
Meh. Weak sauce as I see it. Oscar still takes all the air out of the gym. Then he’s a little off, gets guarded well, UK flames out early. He will hit the portal is my guess.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Lord help you....

1. 6'9 260 lbs...pure muscle....17 pts and 15 boards a night...on 58%FG and a solid 72% FT shooter. Can score back to the basket. I mean seriously...you'd rather dismiss that guy and go with kids that might weigh in at 200 lbs and unproven as all get out?
2. His defense shortcoming aside....hardly ever are we torched by his man offensively. It is always wings/guards that score on us when we lose. Granted his pick and roll D is part of the problem with guards.

UK was a #2 seed in 2022 going into NCAA. Oscar was a beast in St Peter game.
UK was a mess last year and Oscar was part of the problem at times....but having crap PG production, non shooting SF, only 1 ball handler on the floor for 1/2 the year and iffy post help for Oscar along with Cal's nonsense coaching scheme.

To label Oscar as part of the problem is goofy to me....but people are what they are in drinking Cal's koolaid.
Not picking on you personally, but I find it amusing that there can be a whole thread explaining why such and such player isn't all that great, and then someone comes along like they just hooked up to the internet and they're like "lol....wut?".

Seriously, Oscar is a void on offense. And a houdini on defense. Wheeler couldn't initiate offense, and Oscar just wanted to hang around under the basket grabbing rebounds. And he made what, $4M in NIL? LOL!!!!!

Exactly. 15/15 is 15/15. You can get it by committee or you can have one guy rack it up. That’s a lot of production from one man night in and night out. People are just afraid we won’t run a “modern offense” if he comes back. Weirdos
Passing the ball around the perimeter, and then forcing it into a guy who can't create his own shot and refuses to kick it back out, is what I call a "weird offense".

People who don't want Oscar back are idiots.
Amen, amen, amen. Anyone not wanting him back doesn’t really have a clue . Can Cal do things to have the team help him on defense . Yes . But he more than compensates for his weaknesses . If we could have him and Dickinson alternating every five minutes or so, not worrying about fouls , giving different looks . Occasionally going zone etc it would b dynamite

You're not thinking big enough. Dickinson at the 5, Oscar at the 4, Ware at the 3, and let's get the Ware from Oregon and play him at the 2. Four big guys and two Wares on the court at once? That team would be undefeated.
I thought the big kid from Western KY was going to be at the 5. Wouldn’t that push Oscar to the 3 spot?

I've said as an opposing fan -I hope he comes back. Mostly to see how it plays out with Cal and what he does if anything to adjust to having him back again and what he does with Bradshaw.

Louisville's a mess and UKs winning that game regardless if Oscar's there or not, I don't care how many Freshman they start. I'm dead inside when it comes to UofL...shit on them all you want. Most of us are just riding it out until we can fire Payne.
According the national recruiting guys Dillingham and Wagner will not be on the same college team. If Cal's recruiting this kid its telling about how he's feeling about Wagner.

Rumor is he's announcing Milt and Danny Manning. No clue...Did notice that Travis Branham from 247 changed his DJ Wagner pick from UK to Louisville this morning so I would say the Milt rumor is true.

I will speak in absolutes:

- Nolan Smith is 100% having an impact on Wagner. Not saying he’s going to absolutely sway Wagner but to dismiss his impact is foolish.

- WWW is involved in this. His impact has been lessened in the overall recruiting world since he joined the Knicks but he still has incredible sway with the Wagners and the feeling right now - a year before Wagner even has to commit - is that he’s pushing him to UofL.

- Any comparison to UofL signees success rate in the NBA compared to UKs is a moot point as it’s an entirely different era, coaching staff and program vision for UofL. He may not get them but Payne is going after elite talent. UofL rarely went after and certainly never got commitments from truly elite kids.

I haven’t checked in a while but I would wager every pick for Wagner to UK was put in a year or more ago or at the very least way, way before Payne got hired. All of Wagners prediction up to Payne getting hired are null and void.

I expect it. I imagine once Wagner commits to UofL I won’t be able to post here. 😉

I like how it’s naive of UofL to think that Milt won’t impact DJ. As if a recruitment that involves our head coach being called “Uncle” by DJ and the involvement of WWW isn’t enough - no - DJ Wagner will decide his entire future based on where his Grandfather works. As if Milt isn’t going to continue to recruit DJ to Louisville regardless of where he works.

I just think with all the history and moving parts involved with the DJ Wagner it’s absolutely hilarious to boil it down to - well if Milt isn’t working there he ain’t going there.

Here's Calipari's chance to seal up that DJ Wagner recruitment.

Only logical thing for him to do is hire Milt Wagner.
[laughing][laughing]

Seriously some have lost their collective minds.

Lance Ware is a void on offense.

Oscar on the other hand was an important part of what we actually did well on offense. I feel like people vastly underrate the importance of offensive boards and getting extra shots. Which is odd considering we just saw UConn win a title with an offense that was very much like that.

Former National player of the year. Yeah why would we want that guy back

Yep. I think he'd be perfect for UK...BUT....UK needs to recruit a versatile 4 and not another center. They need a depth Center - which Ugonna was perfect for. But the plan should be to start Bradshaw at the 5, a transfer 4 who can shoot and put the ball on the floor, Edwards at the 3 and then Reeves or Dillingham and Wagner at the guard spots - I'd start Reeves.

Bradshaw is the Center. He's perfect for Cal's 5 spot and I don't understand why there's been this move to move guys around and make them things they aren't. You don't want Bradshaw on the perimeter - he has no ball handling skills and I'd wager his shooting would be wildly inconsistent.
Bradshaw is not very competitive at the 5 imo

Reactions: westerncat
I like Reeves starting. Need more experience starting. He’s earned it
1-15 in the BIGGEST game of the year says he hasn't "earned it". He is MUCH better in spurts and his defense is HORRIBLE.

Bradshaw is not very competitive at the 5 imo
You want him as a 4? He’s a rim running, athletic 5 who can space the floor a little when needed IMO. He can protect the rim. In the era of the versatile 4 who can put it on the floor, consistently hit 3s and handle the ball well enough to put it on the floor - I don’t think he can do any of those things at the 4. I’d also question his agility and quickness to guard the 4 out to the perimeter.

I don’t know why people are overthinking this kid. I think Bradshaw is maybe the best center in this class and is the exact sort of center Cals best teams had. It’s clear Cal plans on a Freshman heavy lineup even though I highly question that in todays game. If we assume Reeves returns and Collins and Oscar are gone - which is what I think happens and with that assumption UK needs a starting PF, a decent backup C, and a knockdown SG from the portal. I’d start Bradshaw, Transfer, Edwards, Reeves, Wagner.

Who needs Oscar back? We have a washed up coach, unproven freshman in a overall weak class, and Mid-major transfers to carry us next year.

1-15 in the BIGGEST game of the year says he hasn't "earned it". He is MUCH better in spurts and his defense is HORRIBLE.
Lol. Every single player has an off shooting night. Yes he’s earned it. He’s our best offensive player.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
Oscar has issues but if you surround him with the right players he’ll be fine. You all act like every good team as a 5 that can guard the perimeter. And what’s so great about ware? He’s just another Damien Collins long athletic suppose to be a shot blocker but in reality is below average and nowhere near his potential. He wasn’t even good at Oregon

Reactions: dl51344
Love Oscar but he's proven two years in a row because of his defensive deficiencies we can't even win the SEC with him, much less go deep in March.
I know it’s a silly notion but could we still hold out hope that in his 4th year on campus he might actually be TAUGHT and COACHED how to defend better.

I know he plays stiff and has no range of motion but I still believe at least some of that can be improved with the right training.

Wait there I go again, sorry 😞

Yep. I think he'd be perfect for UK...BUT....UK needs to recruit a versatile 4 and not another center. They need a depth Center - which Ugonna was perfect for. But the plan should be to start Bradshaw at the 5, a transfer 4 who can shoot and put the ball on the floor, Edwards at the 3 and then Reeves or Dillingham and Wagner at the guard spots - I'd start Reeves.

Bradshaw is the Center. He's perfect for Cal's 5 spot and I don't understand why there's been this move to move guys around and make them things they aren't. You don't want Bradshaw on the perimeter - he has no ball handling skills and I'd wager his shooting would be wildly inconsistent.
Have you watched Bradshaw recently? His handles and shot are just as good or better than Livingston and Toppin. He plays better floating around or facing the basketball. Obviously, he can play center but I don't think his best basketball comes from strictly being stationed in the low post.

The problem we have is we haven’t had tournament success for so long that we can have vets or an Oscar stick around, find more Reeves type guys but if they havent won in the tournament idk that they bring much “locker room leadership”. What they do bring is bodies like men and physical prowess. It wouldn’t be bad to go out and find someone transfering from an elite 8 team just to have success on the team. It’s a friggin habit and one we shook a while ago.

UK would take him back . NIL guarantees are a thing now with Oscar , and his role might change . Oscar at the 4 instead of clogging the lane , where he gets drawn out on pick and rolls and isn’t an effective passer has to stop . 18 pts 13 rbs gets neutralized too much right now
Oscar at the 4??? Hahahahaha

Amen, amen, amen. Anyone not wanting him back doesn’t really have a clue . Can Cal do things to have the team help him on defense . Yes . But he more than compensates for his weaknesses . If we could have him and Dickinson alternating every five minutes or so, not worrying about fouls , giving different looks . Occasionally going zone etc it would b dynamite
No other way to say it, you’re a damn nut.

It makes me wonder if Ugonna caught wind that Oscar plans on returning and that is why he is looking at transferring.
You gonna sit down like last year and like you would if Oscar returns. Yeah that may be. No room for a questionable center to return if the best is coming back.

Oh yes there is certainly no need in the modern game for 15 rebounds and 16 points a game from your post player. As for defense he will be greatly helped by guards that are actually quick enough to keep opposing guards from blowing by them to the basket at will. Something we haven't had in the 2 years he played here. He dared call out Cals foolishness in public and all of a sudden Cal and his shills in the media started talking about what a " defensive liability" he was to the point that many of our fans wa t to run off the only exceptional player we had on this team. I guess Gobbels was right, tell the big lie enough and people will believe it. Madness

I thought it was agreed upon that Dilly is a shit nickname and should be outlawed?

Please use Rob. Oh and he must start.

I hope Oscar comes back (warts and all)...but I have to agree with this statement. Cal put out what he did before Oscar said a thing....so I'm guess he's not back at UK.

But a lineup of

PG - Wagner
SG - Reeves
SF - Edwards
PF -Bradshaw
C - Oscar

Bench
Shep
Dilly (I know he'd not likely play off bench)
Ware
Thiero

I'd love to see that and go to war with that group
I can see this starting lineup next season…and Cal better shut his mouth about “this’ll take time …we’re young…it’s hard to play here!” Time to quit making excuses for his team and himself—these “kids” know what they’ve signed onto and a few would rather be in the NBA if they could! You think there wouldn’t be pressure there!!
Sorry $9M man — time to sh** or get off the pot!! This is a FF team if don’t screw it up!!

Oscar or Dickinson C
Bradshaw PF
Edwards SF
Wagner 2G
Dilly PG (or Nembhard from Tulsa if Dilly doesnt work out!)

Bench
Reeves
Thiero
Shep
Ware

I’ve read enough on the board to see that it’s mostly trolls trying to bait people into talking shit about Oscar. Oscars a two time All American that loves our program, plays hard every time he touches the floor, is great with our fans, and is a good role model for kids. I would love to see him come back

Have you watched Bradshaw recently? His handles and shot are just as good or better than Livingston and Toppin. He plays better floating around or facing the basketball. Obviously, he can play center but I don't think his best basketball comes from strictly being stationed in the low post.
I watched a little of the McDonalds game, stuff from last year when UofL was trying to land him and read a few recent scouting reports. I think he could project as a 4 in the NBA but under Cal in college I just don’t think a player of his size is a good 4. He needs to add strength for the 5 but I would even question if Cal would even allow him to utilize his full game at the 5 spot let alone at the 4 spot and I don’t know why you guys would want him there considering you’ve been begging for a more free flowing offense. I don’t see how plopping him and another center on the court would open things up. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe Cals discovered a true unicorn. How many true 7 footers are playing the 4 spot for high major teams? I legit don’t know to me he just looks like a return to Cals best centers and for some reason the same people who’ve complained about shooting and fast paced offense want to essentially put two 7 footers on the floor together.

? That was Wallace and Oscar.
I disagree. Wallace was our best defender. A good offense player. But disappeared a lot offensively too. Reeves was our best shooter by far. Oscar did score more. But having Reeves start next year with the talent around him, I think is ideal. Our other guards, with their ability to drive, can give him more open looks than he had this year

It’s likely going to be:

Starters

G Dillingham
G Wagner
F Edwards
F Bradshaw
F Tshiebwe or Transfer

Reserves

G Sheppard
G Reeves or Transfer
G Thiero
F Collins or Transfer
F Ware

Would like to see Collins back and making a big jump from his Sophomore to Junior year. Like a Richards type jump. That would be nice.

I also want to see us get a stretch 4 from the portal. Someone like Sestina or Willis. Someone who will give us 10-15 minutes off the bench, knock down some big shots and not pout on the bench when he doesn’t get to play for long stretches. A team player ready to shoot when he does get to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT