ADVERTISEMENT

Greenberg expects Oscar back…

It's laughable that some fans don't want Oscar back.

Seriously, those people have no sense of basketball concepts.

It is 1000% Cal's job to get Oscar involved on offense, and to hide him if he's incapable on defense.

This same stupid logic would have Steph Curry coming off the bench because he can't guard anybody.👍

Jokic is an MVP candidate, and he's a sub par defender.
This

Because its not just stats. Its his overall negative impact on the offense and defense. There's a reason UKs lost 20 games the past two years, is 4-11 vs ranked teams (with 6 of those losses coming by 10+), 1-2 in SECT games and 1-2 in NCAA Tournament games with Oscar leading the way.
Lord help you....

1. 6'9 260 lbs...pure muscle....17 pts and 15 boards a night...on 58%FG and a solid 72% FT shooter. Can score back to the basket. I mean seriously...you'd rather dismiss that guy and go with kids that might weigh in at 200 lbs and unproven as all get out?
2. His defense shortcoming aside....hardly ever are we torched by his man offensively. It is always wings/guards that score on us when we lose. Granted his pick and roll D is part of the problem with guards.

UK was a #2 seed in 2022 going into NCAA. Oscar was a beast in St Peter game.
UK was a mess last year and Oscar was part of the problem at times....but having crap PG production, non shooting SF, only 1 ball handler on the floor for 1/2 the year and iffy post help for Oscar along with Cal's nonsense coaching scheme.

To label Oscar as part of the problem is goofy to me....but people are what they are in drinking Cal's koolaid.

WTF does Greenberg know? lol.

This doesn't give me much confidence. He's a basketball TV personality at this point (although I do generally like him), so not sure what information he can possibly have that we don't.
Oscar may or may not come back, but I do believe some one that talks to Cal regularly may have a tad more intel than what we have on this message board.

Playing Oscar at the 4 would be an absolute nightmare.

You guys have tried Oscar for 2 years and its been 2 of the most frustrating years in recent UK basketball memory. If I'm a UK fan I'm praying Oscar doesn't come back. He's not versatile enough to move around - he's a Center. Remember when he said he was coming back last Summer to show his versatility and shooting?

He is what he is and what he is hold UKs offense and defense back. He's a great ambassador for the program but its in everyone's best interest to not do this again.
You wish you had a player as good as him, if he announced he was going to UofL you would be hyped like everyone else in your shitty school. Enjoy the 5 wins next year.

Last edited:
Because its not just stats. Its his overall negative impact on the offense and defense. There's a reason UKs lost 20 games the past two years, is 4-11 vs ranked teams (with 6 of those losses coming by 10+), 1-2 in SECT games and 1-2 in NCAA Tournament games with Oscar leading the way.
Yeah because of shit guards like Wheeler and injuries.

Lord help you....

1. 6'9 260 lbs...pure muscle....17 pts and 15 boards a night...on 58%FG and a solid 72% FT shooter. Can score back to the basket. I mean seriously...you'd rather dismiss that guy and go with kids that might weigh in at 200 lbs and unproven as all get out?
2. His defense shortcoming aside....hardly ever are we torched by his man offensively. It is always wings/guards that score on us when we lose. Granted his pick and roll D is part of the problem with guards.

UK was a #2 seed in 2022 going into NCAA. Oscar was a beast in St Peter game.
UK was a mess last year and Oscar was part of the problem at times....but having crap PG production, non shooting SF, only 1 ball handler on the floor for 1/2 the year and iffy post help for Oscar along with Cal's nonsense coaching scheme.

To label Oscar as part of the problem is goofy to me....but people are what they are in drinking Cal's koolaid.
Hey I'm not going to argue or convince you guys. You guys want to do this again next year and run it back with Oscar in the middle - be my guest. Plug Oscar in at the 5 with 4 Freshman and Bradshaw out of position at the 4 and go to work next year. See if it works. It worked in spells. It also resulted in 4-11 record vs ranked teams and numerous blowouts and a 2-4 tournament conference/NCAA record.

If you can't see an overarching trend of the past two seasons then I don't know what to tell you. You can't run your offense through Oscar and he hinders the defense. I'm not saying its all Oscar's fault. Cal's the main reason because he doesn't know how to use Oscar properly and he refuses to adjust or play zone.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
The main factor would be Oscar improving his skills to be on a level as Sanogo. U Conn ran 1-5 pick and rolls at the top constantly, because Sanogo can pass and handle, something Oscar can't due in the half court. Not to mention Sanogo has much better lateral quickness and is a true rim protector.
For sure also cal would have to let him play up top and be involved more in actions like that

The main factor would be Oscar improving his skills to be on a level as Sanogo. U Conn ran 1-5 pick and rolls at the top constantly, because Sanogo can pass and handle, something Oscar can't due in the half court. Not to mention Sanogo has much better lateral quickness and is a true rim protector.
and he learned how to make 3s and his coach allowed him to shoot them.

Oscar may or may not come back, but I do believe some one that talks to Cal regularly may have a tad more intel than what we have on this message board.

Not so much any of us, but we're hearing things from guys like Matt Jones, Pilgrim and others who have a focus on UK basketball and many many more ties to our program.

But maybe Greenberg does know some info I guess. Just would surprise me if so.

Hey I'm not going to argue or convince you guys. You guys want to do this again next year and run it back with Oscar in the middle - be my guest. Plug Oscar in at the 5 with 4 Freshman and Bradshaw out of position at the 4 and go to work next year. See if it works. It worked in spells. It also resulted in 4-11 record vs ranked teams and numerous blowouts and a 2-4 tournament conference/NCAA record.

If you can't see an overarching trend of the past two seasons then I don't know what to tell you. You can't run your offense through Oscar and he hinders the defense. I'm not saying its all Oscar's fault. Cal's the main reason because he doesn't know how to use Oscar properly and he refuses to adjust or play zone.
How many games did UL win last year ? And I don't think any of the UL players played defense.

You dread seeing him again next year and want him gone.

Last edited:
You dread seeing him again next year and want him gone. Get out.
I've said as an opposing fan -I hope he comes back. Mostly to see how it plays out with Cal and what he does if anything to adjust to having him back again and what he does with Bradshaw.

Louisville's a mess and UKs winning that game regardless if Oscar's there or not, I don't care how many Freshman they start. I'm dead inside when it comes to UofL...shit on them all you want. Most of us are just riding it out until we can fire Payne.

I still firmly believe that if you put the right talent around Oscar, he'll be just fine.

The fact is he had Wheeler as his PG for two years... Cason to fill in... an injured Ty, an injured Grady.. and Mintz.

When you add up what those 5 guys contributed (playing time, health, what have you).. it wasn't a whole lot. A little bit of a great stretch when Ty and Grady got cooking, which ultimately got derailed by injuries.

Give him Wagner and Edwards and that might be the best guard AND wing he has had in his time here.

Last edited:
Reactions: westerncat

- What about smoking Kansas by 20 in their house?
- How about laying a 30 pt hammer job on Tenn at Rupp?
- Smoke UNC by 30 pts on neutral? Went on to NCAA champ game.

I get last season was a mess and Oscar was part of that team but Cal's coaching and that roster had major holes and as I stated...1 had 1 guy who was a ball handler on the team (Wallace...and he wasn't exactly a PG) and that was abysmal roster management. But UK was a damn good team in 2022 season....the team peaked and had dang injuries that we never overcame and got embarassed in St Pete game....but in that embarrassment of a game Oscar had 30 pts and 16 boards. Hardly a reason we lost was on Oscar.

1. If I have Wagner/Dilly as better ball handlers than Wallace....that is a difference
2. If I have shooter in Edwards and Reeves....that is better than Reeves/Livingston
3. I guess Bradshaw would be the 4 in an Oscar world....and that is much better rim protection than Brooks/Toppin.

All in all, I agree Oscar has holes but in college...he has a walking double/double (literally). You will hardly ever get punked in the paint with him around. The 9-16 team...part of their problem is they got punked constantly inside and Oscar took that away from day 1 at UK. We take big risk to throw Bradshaw, no idea where Collins is at, Ugo is gone apparently, Livingston at the SF is gone as well apparently, and the portal is a crap shoot at times. Oscar takes away alot of those unknowns.

But it is probably silly to debate....I have pretty low confidence he's going to be back at UK.

Last edited:
And agree with others that Greenberg has no clue.
Given how shameless Greenberg threw up that dumb UK facilities baloney....he's shown to be a Cal mouthpiece and this is as likely to be a Cal manipulation through Greenberg as it is legit. Nobody else (including UK insiders) have peeped a word on Oscar back. So it's most likely nonsense.

I really hate the injuries we had at the end of the last year. I don't think that team wins a Final4 (but it's not impossible either).. but we for sure don't get upset by a 15-seed if even just one of Ty or Grady is healthy. It absolutely killed us that we essentially had Wheeler and nothing else in our back court.
That team when healthy beat the runner ups by 30 on a neutral court and was up by 40.
That team with an injured TyTy beat Kansas by 20 on the road and was up by 30.

That team definitely could have won it all but Washington and Grady were 2-18 and Brooks was 2-7 in the OT loss.

Oh and.. if Ugo is really gone, then we absolutely need Oscar back.

At first, I was OK with moving on from Oscar, but that was only under the pretense that we have Ugo, who I think could be a mini-AD for us next year. But now that he's gone, Oscar becomes a must have. Every other option is a severe drop off from him..

Reactions: dl51344
I really hate the injuries we had at the end of the last year. I don't think that team wins a Final4 (but it's not impossible either).. but we for sure don't get upset by a 15-seed if even just one of Ty or Grady is healthy. It absolutely killed us that we essentially had Wheeler and nothing else in our back court.

It stinks because we are left to wonder what could have been.
I'd say that was one of our best teams post 15 and injuries at the end of the season really derailed things.

Greenburg said Oscar should come back. And he should.

Cal will do everything he can to get Oscar to return.

The people saying Cal wants Oscar gone are just hoping Oscar leaves so they can blame Cal.

Stevie Wonder can see through their act.

It stinks because we are left to wonder what could have been.
I'd say that was one of our best teams post 15 and injuries at the end of the season really derailed things.

Uk is always injured. At what point is it beyond bad luck and some other issue ? Conditioning and strength training? Idk but it's ridiculous.

Reactions: track42
It could work if Oscar comes back. Bradshaw at the 4 with slightly better rim protection than Toppin at that position.

If Collins just takes another step forward, we'd be really solid down low.

I'd still hunt down a stretch four in the portal, though. Someone like a Sestina type.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Uk is always injured. At what point is it beyond bad luck and some other issue ? Conditioning and strength training? Idk but it's ridiculous.

Maybe too many minutes for our main guys. Maybe just luck. We DID get to several of our Final 4's under Cal without any big big injuries, I believe. I know Poythress was out one year, WCS another... but by and large most of Cal's early years here, we had our full rosters for the season.. no big injuries (Noel aside), and no players sitting out.
We have to find that balance of not overplaying our main guys, but also having a capable bench.. and those bench guys also need to want to have that 10-15min role as well. That's a very hard think to pull off. Someone will say "Well Uconn just did it".. but Uconn also lost in the opening round the last few years. A few teams wills trike gold every year, but there will be dozens that don't.

Trying to get 10-11 guys who are good enough to play, and also are fine with their roles.. during this immediate transfer era.. near impossible.

I think part of this too is maybe lean away from guys who are injury prone.
Guys that get injured tend to get injured again in the future. That's two years where we had Wheeler miss time towards the end of seasons. Also knew CJ was injury prone as well coming into the season.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Love Oscar but he's proven two years in a row because of his defensive deficiencies we can't even win the SEC with him, much less go deep in March.
We had issues. But Oscar wasn’t the problem. We had shooters that couldn’t shoot, a pg who couldn’t lead the team, and a bunch not guys who couldn’t create their own shot.

My man was a 2 time all American and rebound machine. You can win with him.

Not wanting Oscar back is just insane to me. He is the greatest rebounder in the modern era IMO. He has his limitations, but he's also a 20pts 20reb game waiting to happen. Please baby Jebus give me Oscar back!

dg4gj.jpg
Exactly. 15/15 is 15/15. You can get it by committee or you can have one guy rack it up. That’s a lot of production from one man night in and night out. People are just afraid we won’t run a “modern offense” if he comes back. Weirdos

Last edited:
Switch Dillingham and Reeves, he will come off the bench. He seemed to do better with that role. Dillingham can break his man down off the dribble much better.

But will Cal actually take Oscar back?
I like Reeves starting. Need more experience starting. He’s earned it

• Wow
Reactions: dl51344 and catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT