ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Samuel Adams Nitro IPA. 7.5% ABV. Not as good, in my opinion, as the white, but a solid beer nevertheless. This was my 43rd unique Samuel Adams check-in to Untappd.

SamuelAdamsNitroIPA.jpg

Last edited:
Drank some at a friends house Weds night. Can't remember the name but it was black and thick. We drank it warm and it was 14% ABV. Came in a 24oz bottle. Good stuff. Watched the latest Star Wars movie and hit a complicated bong that you had to pull the bowl out of to get a hit. I digress, I drink lots of different beers, but I don't keep track of them. Sometimes I drink Coors lite while I play golf.

OK, looks like the whole sixer is going down. I'll let you know how it feels tonight and tomorrow. I won't be as happy about it tomorrow if experience is an indicator.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Drank some at a friends house Weds night. Can't remember the name but it was black and thick. We drank it warm and it was 14% ABV. Came in a 24oz bottle. Good stuff. Watched the latest Star Wars movie and hit a complicated bong that you had to pull the bowl out of to get a hit. I digress, I drink lots of different beers, but I don't keep track of them. Sometimes I drink Coors lite while I play golf.
Back home in KY, when I am around some of my primitive relatives, I have been known to indulge excessively in Bud Light.

Keep that a secret. When ya must deal with the only game in town, a major theme is adapt and overcome.

Nothing wrong with drinking domestos. Just don't limit yourself to them and defend them as the only beer you will ever drink. "7-11 house blend is the only coffee I'll ever drink" makes you sound cool though.

I know damn well that the people that put down craft beer* are too cheap to buy something different. I treat their opinions like shit, I flush them.

*I say craft beer to mean anything other than the reg.

Drinking 14% warm. Means you were anxious to get out of the house. Once i get into civilization I sometimes become a caveman.

This effed me up last night, First time I had actually been drunk instead of buzzed in forever.

CIMG0436.jpg

9.3 ABV

90 on Beer Advocate

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
Dude, I was already out the house for the night. Beer just happened organically.

I've drank 2-3 watermelon beers. Austin Beerworks produced a decent batch a couple summers ago. Hope to find the Ballast Point Watermelon.

Hell or High Watermelon by 21st Amendment is a nice summer beer. It's a wheat. The watermelon is subtle but enough to know it's there.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I tried Dry Ground Rapture last night and I have to say, I did not enjoy. Honestly, the finished tasted like rubbing alcohol.

Last edited:
Heisman, I got a 22 oz of Lagunitas Imperial Stout 9.9%. Bout to tap into it.

I really like Lagunitas. I think they're pretty solid at everything they put out (that I've tried at least). Let me know how that one is...hopefully you're shit-faced later and give us your review.

The watermelon Ballast Point kinda sucks. If I see that brew I'll give watermelon beer another try.

I know this is shallow but I think the packaging for Ballast Point is atrocious. If you're just a casual person and walk past that beer, you'd probably think "I bet this is something Jimmy Buffett would like."

Reactions: Willy4UK
I know this is shallow but I think the packaging for Ballast Point is atrocious. If you're just a casual person and walk past that beer, you'd probably think "I bet this is something Jimmy Buffett would like."

What kind of packaging you seeing? I see cans and bottles. The cans look like a flat white paint you'd see in a college dorm that rents for $2K a month. And the bottles have fish on them (cans do too, but the egg shell paint makes them invisible). WTF. Ballast point. I did drink a habenero IPA today. It's only 7%.

Never see the cans but I just hate the bottles. It just looks so cheesy to me. I don't like seeing fish on beers, for some reason.

ballast-point.jpg

However, this packaging is horrendous but the beer is awesome.

5d74e6106496dac038580f61eb253b1e.jpg

IDGAS about packaging. I get growlers of the shit with zero advertising. It's me against them. Taste.

Reactions: LadyCat92
Hell or High Watermelon by 21st Amendment is a nice summer beer. It's a wheat. The watermelon is subtle but enough to know it's there.
I remember when you mentioned that particular beer on Untappd a couple years ago. Unfortunately, it is not available around here, probably because of distribution. If I can find some during my visit next month back to KY and TN, I'll certainly sample.

Is it available bottled or canned?

I remember when you mentioned that particular beer on Untappd a couple years ago. Unfortunately, it is not available around here, probably because of distribution. If I can find some during my visit next month back to KY and TN, I'll certainly sample.

Is it available bottled or canned?

I've only found it in a can and I found it at Jungle Jim's in Cincy. Haven't tried to find it around Lexington.

I know Transy mentioned that pineapple ipa on Untappd.

What is the deal with fruit being infused into IPAs these days.

Waiting to see a Lychee, Acai, Kiwi, Durian IPA too

Could you imagine a Durian Ipa? hahaha

I've only found it in a can and I found it at Jungle Jim's in Cincy. Haven't tried to find it around Lexington.
I plan to hit Cincy the morning of the 20th for a beer run and then travel down to Lex. Were you able to find the beer at the Hamilton store or Eastgate in Cincy, OH?

Good friends of mine, whom I haven't seen in over 25 years, live in Hamilton, OH. Unfortnately I can't find them on the internet. Got some pill-head relatives up that way, too.

I know Transy mentioned that pineapple ipa on Untappd.

What is the deal with fruit being infused into IPAs these days.

Waiting to see a Lychee, Acai, Kiwi, Durian IPA too

Could you imagine a Durian Ipa? hahaha
Brewers are constantly searching for sales winners. Ballast Point produces solid Grapefruit and Pineapple IPAs. I believe we'll see many more from others going forward.

I plan to hit Cincy the morning of the 20th for a beer run and then travel down to Lex. Were you able to find the beer at the Hamilton store or Eastgate in Cincy, OH?

Good friends of mine, whom I haven't seen in over 25 years, live in Hamilton, OH. Unfortnately I can't find them on the internet. Got some pill-head relatives up that way, too.

Hamilton but honestly, I've never had a need to go to Eastgate so I wouldn't know if you could find it there.

Great info. Are many singles available or just 6-packs?

I believe I got a 6-pack but they have all kind of singles. Seriously, I've never seen such a beer selection and a lot of singles so lots of opportunity to give something a try that you never really wanted to buy a full pack of until you were sure.

I believe I got a 6-pack but they have all kind of singles. Seriously, I've never seen such a beer selection and a lot of singles so lots of opportunity to give something a try that you never really wanted to buy a full pack of until you were sure.
Awesome info. Many, many thanks. Planning on a visit. I had been searching for a retail store in the area.

The intent is drive up to Cincy from the Leitchfield area early morning on April 20, grab some bottled and canned OH beers, eat lunch, and then visit Lexington for a few hours before driving down to Middlesboro. I'll probably drink just 2 beers in Lex and nothing else before or after on that day until arriving back in Middlesboro that night.

Again, a huge thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT