ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Picked up a Stone Double Bastard. Definitely deserving of its world class rating. They had Stone Double Bastard in the Rye, but it's rating couldn't get me to give $20 for a bomber. Gotten to where I can't beer shop without beer advocate.

That's all I ever do when I go to the beer section. I pull out my phone and look at the ratings and reviews on beeradvocate. I won't mess with anything under an 88 and I will try anything rated 90 or higher. I find most of the beers I love are rated in the mid 90s so that's good.

I have Grapefruit Sculpin and the regular Ballast Point Sculpin in 6 packs.

I really can't tell that much of a difference.

All IPA's are starting to taste the same to me.

Had a Habenero Sculpin IPA last night. Effing fantastic.

Also had MMM Hops the other night. MMMHops- Sound familiar? It should. It's brewed by that lovable band trio, Hanson. Didn't know they were brewers.

I have a question about storing beer in bottles and cans.
I have been buying unchilled and storing them in my attached garage, in a big cooler we only use (used to) when travelling. I put it in there to get it away from light and temp changes. I have several I want to hang on to for various reasons so I started reading up on the net and cannot get any definitive answers. First, am I storing them correctly, and second, how long will it keep without problems? I'm pretty pissed right now because the yahoos on the net are all over the place, for every "do this" , there's a "never do this". You guys, looking at you Austin, have been solid before, so how do you guys store it?

Reactions: AustinTXCat
By the way, this is what I'm drinking tonight. Enjoying the walnut, it's got some bite to it.
Goodwood-Walnut-Brown-Ale-Beer-Bottle.png
I'm diving into some great music on youtube as well. Makes for a relaxing night.

I have a question about storing beer in bottles and cans.
I have been buying unchilled and storing them in my attached garage, in a big cooler we only use (used to) when travelling. I put it in there to get it away from light and temp changes. I have several I want to hang on to for various reasons so I started reading up on the net and cannot get any definitive answers. First, am I storing them correctly, and second, how long will it keep without problems? I'm pretty pissed right now because the yahoos on the net are all over the place, for every "do this" , there's a "never do this". You guys, looking at you Austin, have been solid before, so how do you guys store it?
Thanks. I'm into "cellaring" on a very limited basis. Store "upright and out of light" are two key phrases. Temperature control is another key. Not too hot or too cold. In other words, try keeping the beer within 40-45° range. Below 45° is usually not a problem, so long as freezing can not occur. Above 55° long-term is never good.

I've read much into the debates surrounding long-term cellaring. Certain beers cellar very well, while others lose quite a bit of quality. Higher ABV beers cellar better.

There's also much debate on whether or not it's really worth it. I've read at least 2 independent tests which indicate quality degradation is a real concern. Although cellaring brings out some flavors only obtainable through aging, other qualities are lost.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm into "cellaring" on a very limited basis. Store "upright and out of light" are two key phrases. Temperature control is another key. Not too hot or too cold. In other words, try keeping the beer within 40-45° range. Below 45° is usually not a problem, so long as freezing can not occur. Above 55° long-term is never good.

I've read much into the debates surrounding long-term cellaring. Certain beers cellar very well, while others lose quite a bit of quality. Higher ABV beers cellar better.

There's also much debate on whether or not it's really worth it. I've read at least 2 independent tests which indicate quality degradation is a real concern. Although cellaring brings out some flavors only obtainable through aging, other qualities are lost.
That method follows an article I found. I don't have a spare refrigerator so I'm storing at room temp. Guess I'll just have to quit holding some back. At least it gives me an excuse to beer shop more often.

That method follows an article I found. I don't have a spare refrigerator so I'm storing at room temp. Guess I'll just have to quit holding some back. At least it gives me an excuse to beer shop more often.
I usually keep three "specials" stashed in the fridge door, wrapped in brown paper bags. 1 is going on 4 years old since bottling date.

Reactions: WayneDougan
At the store and getting ready to buy some Bells Two Hearted Ale because it has a 95 on Beer Advocate.

Anyone know that one?

johns-bells-two-hearted-ale.jpg

UPDATE: This beer is awesome. I'd give it a 4 out of 5, maybe 4.5. The packaging looks like crap but it's a fantastic beer out of Michigan, I believe.

Last edited:
Classic Midwest IPA. Fairly balanced, but definitely hop forward particularly fruity. It it will seem somewhat mild compared to big Northwest IPAs, but I think it is a fairly old recipe so it probably would have been a "hop bomb" compared to most other IPAs in 2002 or whenever.

4 out of 5

At the store and getting ready to buy some Bells Two Hearted Ale because it has a 95 on Beer Advocate.

Anyone know that one?

johns-bells-two-hearted-ale.jpg

UPDATE: This beer is awesome. I'd give it a 4 out of 5, maybe 4.5. The packaging looks like crap but it's a fantastic beer out of Michigan, I believe.
Drank it in Florida, March 2014. Definitely a superior beer well deserving of 95 on Beer Advocate.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Some odd, but interesting stuff I just found out regarding contract brewing.

- Sixpoint beer distributed in Texas is actually brewed in Memphis, TN. Still awesome. Go Hi-Res and Resin!

- Choc Brewing in Krebs, OK brews Prairie Artisan Ales. I believe they get around the silly Oklahoma laws in this manner.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Went to Chicago a couple weeks ago and visited the Lagunitas brewery/warehouse that opened 18 months ago...

Took the tour and they take you in a room with 8 taps and they describe every beer and let you try a flight of all of them including...

Pilsner (gateway for new craft beer drinkers)
Ipa (best seller 60% of their sales)
Sumpin Sumpin (fastest growing seller and best seller in Chicago)
Maximus (took a pint of this on the actual tour)
Sucks
Cappuccino stout

They are working on a bourbon barrel beer that will be a limited release

Employees get to take a case of beer home every Friday

Next year they plan on having rooftop concerts at night once they get the logistics down

Amazing tour - worth checking out if you are in the area

breakfast-stout.jpg

My favorite pizza place had this on tap so I gave it a try. This is the smoothest stout I've ever had and has no harsh aftertaste. I looked it up on BA and saw that they gave it 99. I agree.

Just had a Founder's Azacca ipa last night. Founder's make some high quality beer. That breakfast stout is incredible

Started at Bluegrass Brewery in St. Mathews, raspberry mead and barleywine, at Molly Malone's and had 3 Floyd's Yum Yum, Goodwood Porter, etc and etc..........woooooooooo Lord, help me tomorrow. :sunglasses:

FINALLY tried Against the Grain Brown Note. I'M impressed. Nice nice flavor.

Last edited:
81995.jpg

I thought the name was kind of a gimmick, but this has enough alcohol content it burns. I like the taste though. I've never had a beer with this high (~11%) alcohol before so keep my viewpoint in mind. I like stouts and porters but this one is mean.

81995.jpg

I thought the name was kind of a gimmick, but this has enough alcohol content it burns. I like the taste though. I've never had a beer with this high (~11%) alcohol before so keep my viewpoint in mind. I like stouts and porters but this one is mean.
Thanks for the recommendation. Hope to sample in two months from now.

81995.jpg

I am so addicted to imperial stouts. Wish I could try that one.

Now that you've had an 11%'er, it's time to keep finding them stronger.

Finally got Steve Austin's Broken Skull IPA after a three month search. Love it. Buzzed as can be, a great hop to it and one of the better tasting IPAs I've had.

Go to www.insidethecellar.com to order it if you're on the other side of the country. They deliver it right to your house.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT