ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Dude, I hit the Heavy Seas brew bar today. Good Shit
Ha ha, sounds good. Within that Heavy Seas 12-pack, there are 4 different styles. All are above 7.25%. One style is 9.3%. Great value.

I picked up a 4-pack of Sixpoint Hi-Res because it is so darn hard to find down in Austin. Probably bring just 2 back, as my former brother in-law wants a couple.

Austin leaving Ohio.
Smokey-ans-The-Bandit_art-print.jpg
Ha ha ha !

Man, the stuff I gotta put up with to get a decent beer simply boggles the sane mind.

I've drank 2-3 watermelon beers. Austin Beerworks produced a decent batch a couple summers ago. Hope to find the Ballast Point Watermelon.
Hell or High Watermelon by 21st Amendment is a nice summer beer. It's a wheat. The watermelon is subtle but enough to know it's there.
Out of the five watermelons I've sampled thus far and listed below, Hell or High Watermelon is the absolute best. Thanks so very much. I actually tried 2 cans in SE KY, but waited until returning here for the rest. Super valuable recommendation. Again, spot on.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

WunderMelon - Watermelon Kölsch | Armadillo Ale Works

Gal-Lager Watermelon Lager | Austin Beerworks

Watermelon Dorado | Ballast Point

Watermelon Wheat | Tin Roof Brewing Co.

Reactions: LadyCat92
Funny enough, I had one can left and I got up a few weeks ago and the fridge had died over night. Things were still cool, so I started taking stuff down to the basement. I got to my final can and instead of taking it downstairs, I cracked it open at 9:30 on a Sunday morning and enjoyed while I dealt with the rest of stuff from the fridge.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I just recently took a beer tour in Lexington. I live near Cincy so it was all new to me. Went to 4 breweries. I really liked all 4. They were all different in their own way. Country boy was first. The venue was really wasn't anything fancy, which is fine by. What was surprising was the list of beers that they had. I was surprised. I think they had 16 on draft which is a lot of self made beers. They had something for everyone. I really enjoyed cliff jumper and shotgun wedding. Laid back cool place.

Next was blue stallion. Never heard of this place at all. At their bar I could hardly see over the top of it lol. Super cool place for watching games. Great environment. I actually liked the smoked lager the most. I don't see those too often so it was fantastic. The staff was great and the shuffle board game was a blast.

West 6th was next. It was very open and had food in the place which is always nice. Loved the Porter and their ipa is very solid. They ran some good sampler deals as well.

Ethereal was next. I really like the venue their. Reminds me of warped wing in Dayton. Excellent beer there as well. Its like a little city in the middle of nowhere. I ate ice cream in some place there and I really wanted to eat at a restaurant really close called Middle Fork. Food looked so good. All in all it was a great experience. I try new breweries any chance I can get but I think that lexington is truly a gem and very underrated. All the places are so different and that is what makes it great to me. Rooster brewery in Paris the only one that eluded me, so if anyone has any insight on Rooster please reply.
Thanks for the feedback and reflections. I just might try a day trip out of Knoxville up to Lex by bus this coming fall.

Funny enough, I had one can left and I got up a few weeks ago and the fridge had died over night. Things were still cool, so I started taking stuff down to the basement. I got to my final can and instead of taking it downstairs, I cracked it open at 9:30 on a Sunday morning and enjoyed while I dealt with the rest of stuff from the fridge.
I have one can remaining in my fridge that is saved for warmer weather. The other two were given to serious beer aficionados at work.

Also remaining from my KY haul, which I flew back in my rucksack, are:

Against The Grain 35K
West Sixth Lemongrass American Wheat

Thanks to @ymmot31 for telling my cuz and I about Liquor Barn on Fern Valley Rd., down the street from the Ford plant. I picked those beers up at that location. Cuz formerly lived near there back during the late-80s/early 90s.

Last edited:
I find West Sixth Lemongrass to be a little too sweet. Starts off fine but by the end, it's too sweet, particularly if you have more than one.

Glad to help. Picked up a six of Kentucky Kolsch yesterday. Not too bad but I probably won't buy another. 4.3% ABV doesn't win it any value points either.

Glad to help. Picked up a six of Kentucky Kolsch yesterday. Not too bad but I probably won't buy another. 4.3% ABV doesn't win it any value points either.
I may have told ya when we met up about me downing seven 32 oz cups of Kentucky Kolsch during our annual SEC Kickoff party last year. Heh, stuff went down great!

Last edited:
Yeah, it was easy to drink. Had an aftertaste that I couldn't place. It would be a good golf course beer, but I prefer something heavier for home use. I also prefer something cheaper for the golf course. I don't see any more Kolsch in my future.

Drinking a Uinta Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA right now. This is an example of fruit IPA gone wrong. It's not bad, exactly, but they clearly went too heavy on the fruit and it overpowers the rest of the beer.

Looking at bus schedules and Lex breweries, if our Cats play a game on Thanksgiving weekend at Rupp this coming season, I may make another adventure out of it. Hate driving after drinking. We'll see after next season's schedule is released.

Drinking a Uinta Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA right now. This is an example of fruit IPA gone wrong. It's not bad, exactly, but they clearly went too heavy on the fruit and it overpowers the rest of the beer.
I tried a Sam Adams Grapefruit Rebel IPA a few days ago and had the same reaction. It's the first Sam Adams I've been disappointed with.

On my last trip to my local liquor store, I thought the singles selection was overrun by fruit. I don't know if it's seasonal or if I'll have to get used to it.

I tried a Sam Adams Grapefruit Rebel IPA a few days ago and had the same reaction. It's the first Sam Adams I've been disappointed with.

On my last trip to my local liquor store, I thought the singles selection was overrun by fruit. I don't know if it's seasonal or if I'll have to get used to it.
Seasonal.

On fruits, here in Tejas, we're about a month ahead of you guys and gals. We start seeing more stouts in late August/early Sept.

Normally April is my detox from alcohol. So far, I've failed... 6 or 7 times?

Currently (quite literally) drinking:

Magic Hat Low Key Session: Fairly decent session. MH gets a lil' crazy sometimes, but I'd recommend this for a lot of people.
21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon: This might by my favorite beer over the last 2 years. Not usually a fruit beer guy, but this shit is bananas. Just started coming back into stores for the warmer months
Ballast Point Sculpin: Solid IPA. I don't have a great taste for this type, more or less a lot of them taste the same.

Been in the mood for variety since Bockfest, trying maybe 16 samples out of 20. Although very happy in my Commadore Perry rut, lately I decided to try Deschutes Inversion IPA and Southerm Tier 2XSmash. The latter being as tasty as anything I've tried over 8.0 abv.

I'm drinking Bud Light today because I'm grilling. It's a fine beer for grilling because you can keep em rolling all day and not let your fire go out. I'll be mixing in some fruity, high octane drinks during the day that my wife thinks she's going to like.

@AustinTXCat - noticed walking through Meijer last night that New Belgium also has a watermelon seasonal - Heavy Melon, which is apparently watermelon and lime. They only had a 12-pack so I didn't grab it. I'd hate for it to be terrible and have 11 left.

Last edited:
@AustinTXCat - noticed walking through Meijer last night that New Belgium also has a watermelon seasonal - Heavy Melon, which is apparently watermelon and lime. They only had a 12-pack so I didn't grab it. I'd hate for it to be terrible and have 11 left.

Does your grocery allow you to buy singles?

Speak of the devil. I purchased one yesterday afternoon. Gonna crack it open in a few and report back.

Thanks!

It depends on where I shop. H.E.B., where me and old lady usually shop, offers a limited singles selection.

Willy, you know my brother, JR. Anyway, he visited us last October. Since he's a district manager for Publix, I took him to one of our flagship HEB grocery stores. He was absolutely floored at the available shelf space here in comparison to his former store in Orlando. We have more like double the square footage than a typical Central FL store.

Reactions: Willy4UK

Just depends on what is available. I believe they take a lot of their damaged packs and break them apart but given this just came out, no singles were available. Eventually Meijer or Liquor Barn will have a single.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Drinking the Heavy Melon now. For the style, I personally rank it #3 on my all-time list behind Hell or High Watermelon and Austin Beerworks Gal-Lager Watermelon Lager. The unique melon flavor is present, although not in the least over-powering. Light, yet refreshing. A 6-er thereof makes for a good choice in a beer to share amongst friends. 3.75/5.

Again, many thanks!

Reactions: LadyCat92
Just depends on what is available. I believe they take a lot of their damaged packs and break them apart but given this just came out, no singles were available. Eventually Meijer or Liquor Barn will have a single.

Wow. Am I understanding this correctly that Liquor Barn doesn't have singles? I worked at the Liquor Barn on Harrodsburg Rd. They sold singles. As Austin mentioned, Publix here sells singles. Which is a recent thing for them, because Whole Foods (my favorite store in the world) was already selling singles 6 years ago (maybe sooner). Whole Foods now has kegs of unique beers where you can drink while you shop

Austin- Yeah, I am not great on Publix's selection. I'm sure it blew JR's mind at Publix. You been to the Dr Phillips Whole Foods? You coming into Orlando the first of July, right? I got about 5 days off. Man, I am excited to get together again. remember, if we hit any breweries, we need to go after 4. hahaha

Wow. Am I understanding this correctly that Liquor Barn doesn't have singles? I worked at the Liquor Barn on Harrodsburg Rd. They sold singles. As Austin mentioned, Publix here sells singles. Which is a recent thing for them, because Whole Foods (my favorite store in the world) was already selling singles 6 years ago (maybe sooner). Whole Foods now has kegs of unique beers where you can drink while you shop

I never said Liquor Barn doesn't haven singles but I wasn't at Liquor Barn but usually for newly released products they don't have singles. I was at Meijer who didn't have this particular beer in a single.

I never said Liquor Barn doesn't haven singles but I wasn't at Liquor Barn but usually for newly released products they don't have singles. I was at Meijer who didn't have this particular beer in a single.

ahhhh, gotcha. Sorry, misread your post.

Grabbed the Ballast Point Grapefruit.. Pretty nice. That's now the 2nd fruit beer I've ever liked. Just the right hint of grapefruit in their Pale Ale (I think it was a PA, I was drunk).

It's fridge-stocking season. Gotta make sure beer is on hand by the pool, mowing the lawn, BBQin', etc..

What's your top5 that has to be in your fridge (particularly for Spring and Summer)?

I am starting to try a few Belgian dark ales. This one was excellent. Does anyone have some suggestions of others to try?

westmalledubbel.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT